Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Wildlands: A Hunter's Life

Discussion in 'SOS Brigade (Clubs)' started by ThatRandomGinger, Feb 14, 2017.

1. The_Lullabye Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    "You don't want anything from me?" I asked Seth curiously. "That's extremely kind of you. Just more reason why I shouldn't have needed your help. Someone kind like you, saving me after having messed up again. Because I can never do anything on my own. I'm just incapable!"

I truly couldn't look at him now. My eyes locked on my knees I sat in the grass trying not to cry. This was my last shot, my final chance to show my family that I could do something. If I could find something amazing, then I could show them. Then everything would be taken care of and I wouldn't need them anymore.

I sat next to him for a while, the day was warm and bright, it seemed out of place with what had just happened down below. My mind betrayed me and thought about what it would feel like to be swallowed up alive. The sticky warmth of the saliva as it coated me entirely... I shuddered in revulsion and hugged myself.

In order to change the subject I thought of his words, "Where are you from? Your equipment is different from the hunters around here."

2. Dungeon Master Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    Seth gave a slight nod.
    "Makes sense. Spear-swords aren't all that common even where I come from, so I doubt you'd see many of them around here. I come from a city called Moonbourne off to the east. It's, uh..."
    His smile faded and he averted his eyes.
    "It's not something I really like to talk about. I came here to get a fresh start, far away from all of that. Of course it's still home and I miss it a little, but I don't want to go back. Not yet, at least."
    He shook his head and tried to change the subject as soon as he could.
    "But hey, enough about that. What about you?"
    He didn't say anything, but he really wanted to know what her caused her sudden outburst before. He wasn't sure if he should even bring it up since it seemed to upset her so much, but he decided that it was too important to let go without saying something.
    "Sorry if this is a touchy subject, but...what was all that about messing up again and being incapable?"
    He hesitated a little, but kept going with the question.
    "It can't be all that bad, can it? I mean come on, that whole thing in the cave wasn't your fault, that could've happened to anyone and you probably had no idea those things were in there. I know it was a surprise to me."

#22 Dungeon Master, Mar 13, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  3. The_Lullabye Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    "I don't want to talk about it," I said bitterly, hoping he'd leave it be. This simply wasn't the time to burden some stranger with my personal issues, that there are many of.

Standing up I walked around the small clearing at the mouth of the cave. It felt good to move around in the sunshine, know that my body was working right again. A sudden realization hit me just then. I looked around quickly and my fears were realized.

"My gunlance... I-I dropped it in the cave... I-I," as if that was the final straw, the tears started coming. It was the first thing that I had gotten for myself of any value. The armor i was wearing was special in that way too, but my weapon had been my friend the last few months. And now it was abandoned back in that cave...

"Should I go get it?" I asked without much feeling.

4. Dungeon Master Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    Seth had an intensely strong urge to give Evelin a hug, but when she asked about her gunlance, he knew he had to tell her the harsh truth. He slowly shook his head and replied.
    "No. We can't be sure if that potion healed you up all the way and even if you don't realize it, your body is probably exhausted from everything that happened. Not only that, since your gunlance was your main weapon, you're not gonna have much luck against a couple of monsters like that."
    He patted her on the shoulder and gave her a small, hopeful smile.
    "But I'll tell you what. After we go back to town and rest up for a while, the two of us can come back here and get your gunlance back."
    He took a few steps back and flashed her a confident grin with his arms crossed.
    "After all, what kind of Hunter would I be if I didn't help out a rookie in need? I didn't get to be the show-stealing phenomenon that I am by doing things halfway! We'll come back, cut up those Gigginox, pick up your gunlance and be back by dinner with some extra money in our pockets for our trouble. And you can bet on that, because I'm one of the best to ever pick up a Hunter's weapon and I'm telling you right now that I'm gonna make it happen! What do you think about that?"

5. The_Lullabye Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    I don't know why, but I found myself laughing.

It was a brief moment of laughter and then it was over and I was wiping tears from my eyes. Then almost guiltily I looked at Seth, worried that I was seeming more than a tad crazy.

"We should probably go back, then," I agreed. "I don't remember how far it is, but I have some bombs if we happen to run into anything. There isn't much else I can do."

I stood there fidgeting, feeling my shame start to rise again at being useless.

6. Dungeon Master Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    Seth's face turned ever so slightly red when Evelin laughed at what he thought was a very cool and heroic moment for him. He turned his head away and averted his eyes.
    "Well, that wasn't exactly the response I was looking for."
    He sighed wistfully.
    "And now the moment's gone. Ruined. There's no coming back from that. Ah well, let's get back to town and find an inn."
    With a shrug, he started making his way back towards the town they came from with Evelin in tow.

OOT: I'm gonna roll to see if any encounters happen. Pwny, you can still have them talk on the way back if you want, I'm just getting this done ahead of time.

!roll d20 #They run into monsters; d20 #They avoid any random encounters

7. JustAnimeBot

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    They run into monsters: 14; They avoid any random encounters: 20

For: Dungeon Master Re: #26

8. ThatRandomGinger Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    "Right here we go!" Jane pulled back her Great sword and began focusing her energy into the sword.
    "HYAH!" She let loose with a massive swing at the Jaggi, just before it connected the rope snapped and The Jaggi was freed but Janes sword was still in motion at the Jaggi

!roll d20 #Jane Hits; d20 #Jane Misses; d20 #Jaggi limbs away to a cave if Jane misses; d20 #stays and fights

9. JustAnimeBot

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Jane Hits: 17; Jane Misses: 7; Jaggi limbs away to a cave if Jane misses: 16; stays and fights: 15

For: ThatRandomGinger Re: #27

10. ThatRandomGinger Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    Jane's Great sword came crashing into the Jaggi cutting across its chest and side sending it flying. As the beast landed,thrashed about then finally croaked it's last howl before laying it's head.
    Pulling her sword from the ground and placing it on her back Jane made a triumphant pose with a smile.
    "You weren't on the contract but I'll definitely get a big bonus from you, now give me those materials.." Jane walked over to the carcass and drew her hunters knife carving the entirety of the beast into usable sections. She had amassed a pouch full of scales and claws, the hide of the beast although a bit worn due to the fight, raw meat and various other items while leaving just a bloodstain on the ground. She then looked up at the hunter who had helped her waved.
    "Thanks for your help, was starting to get a little rough before you showed up. Say what are you doing out here, i set out alone from the local guild hall, place was empty"
    She paused before remembering just how rude it was to speak without introducing one's self
    "I'm Jane by the way, here take my guild card. Not sure about you but i have a few more carcasses to carve off of care to join me before I head off? Or do you have other business?

11. Guts Black Swordsman

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Soarael sheathed his dagger from the tree using the branches as a stairway down to Jane. When he got up close to her he pulled down his hood. His countenance was ethereal similar to a humans but his eyes delicate as that of an elves. Going over to the carcass he grabbed his knife from the neck of the Jaggi, cleaning off the blood he sheathed that one was well.

"Nice to meet you Jane." He smiled warmly to her. "My name is Soarael, I am an ambassador to the guild, It's mostly diplomatic stuff that I do but as of recent I've wanted to do contracts. Problem is everyone else is taking them. Though it's not entirely true I just don't feel like clearing imps. So I decided to take today off and see what the other members were doing, I saw you run off in this direction and heard battle shortly after. So I thought I could help, I don't need anything from the hunts, just keep me fed and I have no problems."

Reaching towards her hand he took the guild card and placed it in his quiver. Reaching into his hip pouch he grabbed one of his own cards and handed it over to Jane.

"I'll join you for your contract, I'll even bring you close to the hall. But I think I'm gonna enjoy the day of battle and sunshine. It's rare anyone gets to escape from responsibility now. So I'll take advantage while I can."

Soarael motioned his arm forward and gestured.

"Lead the way, Jane. I'll follow behind."

12. The_Lullabye Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    "I'm sorry," I apologized sensing that I had offended Seth somehow.

Following behind him I looked around the now quiet forest. Sunshine fell through the trees and gave the ground a multi-hued look. Small birds sang and the rustle of other tiny animals came from all around us. It was a pleasant walk back to town, but I kept my hand on the satchel of bombs the whole way just in case anything tried to attack us. Nothing did, to my relief. I wasn't too sure I was up to another life or death battle right now, even with Seth here to protect me.

"So, uh, how long have you been a Hunter?" I asked.

13. Dungeon Master Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    Seth gave a slight chuckle.
    "Well, officially speaking, I've been a hunter for four years. But really, I've been practicing with a sword ever since I was strong enough to hold one. Being a hunter was the one thing I wanted the most for as long as I can remember. Although I did have a lot of fun in my dad's blacksmith shop, too."
    He tapped the spear-sword on his waist.
    "In fact, when I was old enough to start hunting, he helped me make this. He said I've got a knack for the trade, but I knew it wasn't what I was meant to do."
    With a calm smile, he rested his hands behind his head.
    "I was always meant to use weapons, not just sit around and make them. I'll admit it, I like playing the part of the hero."

With a few grandiose gestures, he began to paint a picture.
    "This is how I've always imagined it. I come back from from a long, grueling battle. I've just slain some kind of legendary beast like a dragon or a manticore and in the middle of a huge crowd, I hold its head high as a sign of victory! The crowd goes insane, cheering my name and singing my praises! I meet up with my friends and family and they tell me what a truly great warrior I am, how I saved the realm, all of that fun stuff. Then we spend the rest of the night sitting around, swapping stories about monsters we've slain and having an amazing time until we finally call it a night at the crack of dawn."
    With a fist pump and a loud whoop, he smiled and looked to Evelin.
    "That's what I call living the dream, baby!"
    He then laughed and gave a dismissive wave.
    "It's okay, you can tell me how stupid that all sounded. I just said it and I think it sounds kinda stupid. But hey, everyone's gotta have goals, right?"

14. ThatRandomGinger Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    Jane began back tracking her way carving off all the scales, claws and hide she could of the fallen pack. She felt the meat of the smaller jaggi as it was too diffcult to carve away and most of their bones broke during the fighting. Collecting the last bit she could she sat down for a rest near a tree.
    "Hmmm let's see, contract still has till the end of tomorrow before the purse is forfeit. Might do a bit more gathering before heading home. *Grrrrrrrugh*" Jane's stomach began to grumble loudly, her face quickly began to blush.
    "Shouldn't have skipped breakfast... Oh i know!"
    Grabbing a few twigs and rocks she made a fire and placed some of the raw meat on a stick and began to turn it while humming a song.
    "hmm hm hm dada hmm hm hm dadadadada dodo do.... Ah sorry, old habit. Mom used to always sing while cooking, even got dad to do it too" Jane had a slight smile that quickly faded as she remembered her mother. Pulling the meat off she tore into it and quickly got up again.
    "Okay now back to the Guild hall or a bit of gathering.... Oh sorry Soarael you said you wanted to enjoy your day off. I suppose we should head back then"

15. The_Lullabye Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    "You know how to make weapons?" I asked him curiously. "I heard that it was... difficult."

"I think I understand what you want." It sounded like a nice evening with friends and family. The only way I could explain it to myself was Warm. "But isn't that a bit... I don't know... small?" I asked him, then quieter, "I'm sorry."

I stayed quiet the rest of the way back to town, feeling like a jerk.

16. Dungeon Master Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    Seth rolled his eyes and shook his head.
    "You're not really a "people person," are you?"
    With a shrug, he continued.
    "But I guess that's a fair point. Maybe it does sound kinda small, but, well...there's a little more to it than that. It's because I...I mean...never mind."
    HIs voice trailed off and he clearly didn't feel like talking about it any more. The two of them walked along in uncomfortable silence until they made it back to town. Seth insisted on stopping at the guild headquarters before they rested up at the inn, so they stopped there first.

When the two of them made their way inside the building, Seth stepped up to the counter with a cocky smile and slammed his hands on the counter to get the attendant's attention. The same man from earlier that day jumped a little as Seth startled him, and he turned to face Seth with a slightly annoyed look.
    "Can I help you with something?"
    Seth chuckled.
    "A couple of things, actually. First of all, I'm here to collect the bounty for those goblins."
    He motioned to Evelin.
    "She helped, so be sure to give her a cut."
    Then he leaned in closer to make sure he had the man's full attention.
    "But more importantly, I've got some bigger game lined up. Get this. When I got there, some of the goblins were already cleared out...by a couple of Gigginox! Who would've thought, right? So here's the deal. Me and Evvie over here are going back later on to pick up her weapon, since she kinda dropped it in the cave while we were *ahem* making a strategic retreat. I figure, hey, while we're there, we might run into those Gigginox again. And if we just happen to run into them while we're in the area, why not take them down and get a nice bounty while we're at it?"

The man was only halfway listening to Seth after the Gigginox were mentioned. He had a look of deep concern on his face and he started muttering to himself.
    "Oh my...they weren't supposed to be this far out. We need to send some Hunters as soon as possible."
    He then looked up at Seth.
    "Thank you for giving me this information. Most of our Hunters are out right now, but I'll pass it along as soon as they get back.

Seth gave him a disbelieving stare.
    "Were you even listening to me?! I. Can. Handle it. Just write up the contract and let me have it, I'll take them down and the other Hunters won't even have to worry about it."

The man shook his head.
    "Absolutely not. This is a job for veterans, we can't send someone out there that--"
    "Come on, don't just give me the same old excuses! I've dealt with monsters like this before. For that matter, I've dealt with worse than that before and I'm still standing, aren't I? Let me have this! Back in Moonbourne, I was--"
    "But you're not in Moonbourne, are you? If you were such a big shot over there, why not go back?!"

The two raised their voices at each other until they were practically shouting but suddenly, Seth fell silent. When he spoke again, it was much quieter than his usual voice.
    "What about her gunlance? Those things don't come cheap, you know."

"We'll ask the Hunters to retrieve it."
    "What if they don't want to give it back? They might just sell it off without telling anyone, for all we know."
    "That would be quite unfortunate, but if it does happen, we would be happy to provide a rental weapon."
    Seth stared down at the counter for a while. With a frustrated growl, he slammed his hand on the counter and walked away, back to Evelin.

When he got back to her on the other side of the room, he leaned against the wall and let out a sigh. Then he whispered to Evelin out of earshot from the man behind the counter.
    "If we're still going back, we're not gonna have a whole lot of time to rest up. We need to get to that cave before the other Hunters come back and get their hands on that contract. I'm not giving up that easily, I'm gonna get that bounty one way or another...not because of the money or anything like that, it's because this is my chance to prove to everyone around here that I'm an A-list player and I'm not gonna let it slip away. So, here the deal."
    He paused for a moment, then continued.
    "If you don't want to come with me, I'd completely understand. This won't be easy. There's some risk involved, but hey, that just comes with being a Hunter, right? Still, if you feel like you're out of your depth then you can wait here while I go back to the cave. If I find your lance, I'll bring it back to you, I promise. So what do you say? Are you still up for going back?"

17. Guts Black Swordsman

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    "I don't mind your singing, It is something I used to do. Don't fret about it."

Soarael yawned as he took a piece of food and ate it quickly. He leaned up against a tree and sat down using it to support his back. Stretching his arms he crossed them and started to relax.

"The truth is, Being away from the guild hall is much more relaxing then being anywhere near it. You don't get to see the beautiful green shrubbery up close when you're inside all the time. Being part of the humanitarian process of the guild isn't always easy either. To say the least, It was more fun following you around hunting and gathering today then it was being inside and talking all day. unfortunately tomorrow, I am back to the same ol' process unless I decide to take contracts. If I take one, I'm going to need a group. As I tend to go after the big guys. Look for me if you're interested."

Soarael looked up towards the sky to catch a glimpse of the sun. Though every sign he displayed was of happiness there was a certain melancholy inside of him.

18. ThatRandomGinger Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    "Will do, See you then Soarael I don't want to keep you busy on your day off." Jane began walking back into the forest leaving Soarael to his business. She gathered a few more ingredients to replace her potions, and some ore from the hills before returning home to collect her reward.

As Janee walked back to her home town, tucked away in the safety of the forest and hills region, Kakomura. Making just past the entrance gate she was immediately greeted by waves from the other villagers and cries of joy from the village children. Jane gave waves and smiles to the villagers as she walked through the little village, she even flexed while patting her arm. As she did this she ran into a small elderly woman about knocking them both over.
    "Ufgh, uhh, sorry about that mis... Lady Kimeia?!" Jane had run into her village leader by accident.
    "Hmmm Jane, I see being a guild hunter hasn't changed you much"
    Jane nervously laughed before bowing and then speaking.
    "Sorry lady kimeia, I was, I was showing off for the kids... i just got back from a hunt and..."
    Kimeia sighed and but her hand up to stop Jane from speaking further.
    "Do watch where you are going child, awareness is a vital, nay a must if you wish to be a true hunter. While you make work for the guild seeing as you live here i expect Kakomura hunters to display the traits of a hunter"
    "Yes Mama, I won't let you down!" Jane nodded and quickly ran off before receiving more of a lecture from Kimeia.
    "That girl.... the zeal of her parents, the strength of her father and the mind of her mother, if she'd only use it."

Jane quickly ran to the smith with her haul of monster parts and set them on the bench. The local smith walked up to the counter and began to speak.
    "What can I do you today Jane?"
    "Hey Smithy, need a few things really. Need some better armor and need some improvements to my sword if you could."
    Stroking his chin he peered into the bag.
    "Let's see what i have to work with as materials or is there anything in particular you have in mind? Ah decent haul i have a few things i can do with these.... How's a Jaggi suit sound?"
    "Anything you can make really once i can get my hands on some better materials then i'll get picky... But whta's a Jaggi suit"
    "Why it's one of the Hottest and latest armors you gotta see for you self! Here, the guild smiths drew out what it should look like with the instructions"
    The smith held out a drawing of a busty woman in a skin tight purple and lavender body suit made of jaggi hide, the chest reigon seemed to be missing a large chunk out of if exposing the woman's cleavage.
    "Smith..."
    "Huh?"
    "No" Jane began drawing her sword from her back ready to strike the Smithy
    "Whoa whoa easy there Jane, I can take no!... Now then since that's shot down i suppose i can make some mail out of what you got"
    After taking some measurements the smith pounded out metal and scale into their shape. The final product was a sturdy lavender colored knight's armor, with the helm using a great jaggi's crest as a crown rather than a helmet. Happy with the armor Jane paid the smith and headed back to the hall to collect her reward.

As she walked in she saw two people she hadn't seen before in the hall. She gave a slight wave and a hiya as she walked up to the counter talked with the woman beside an elderly man running the counter. She placed several fangs and part of the great jaggi's crest on the table.
    "Hey Lilith just finished the contract, wiped that pack out and even ran into a great jaggi leading them. Think that's worth a little bonus right?"
    "Jane! Glad you made it back from your hunt! Hmm let's see here is the purse for contract and a small bonus for extra danger handled, should be 450 gold. So how was the hunt?"
    Jane frowned at the purse but took it anyway, she had hoped her friend would have given a bit more but understood she couldn't. She began telling her story of the hunt when Lilith interrupted.
    "Oh that's like... well can't really talk about it yet..."
    "?"
    Lilith leaned in close and spoke softly
    "Well there's these 2 gigginox are battling it out in a cave near by, if left unchecked it could be a real problem....as well as another hunter lost her weapon in the area so she's left pretty much defenseless..."
    "I can take them why don't you let me handle them, besides the purse has to be better than from the jaggi"
    "Jane no, this is something that needs to be handled by pros"
    "Come on Lil, don't you want to hear more awesome hunting stories? i bet it gets sooo boring with all these contracts you have to file, post and record..."
    There was one thing Lilith hated and that was the boring retinue of the being a guild clerk.
    "Fine.... a story and you owe me a gourmet steak dinner....ACK!" Jane leaned over the counter and gave her a hug nearly crushing her with the force.
    "Deal, now i may need some help so I'll just put a notice on the board looking for help. Someone is bound to answer, even if it's just for a chance at them"
    "Just don't get caught!"
    Jane gave a thumbs up and walked over to a table waiting for another to join her hunt for the pair of Gigginox.

19. The_Lullabye Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    I had watched the exchange between Seth and the Guildsman and was not in a particularly happy mood.

"Oh, we'll be going back," I told him with determination. Walking up to the counter and giving the man behind it my haughtiest look, I dictated what was going to happen.

"Sir, my name is Evelin Bordaire. I believe, unless you've spent your life living under this desk, that you know who I am. More importantly, you know who my family is. You are going to issue that man," I pointed at Seth, "The contract for the Gigginox. Or will I need to speak with my father?"

!roll d20 #He Gives Seth the Contract; d20 #He Doesn't Give the Contract

20. JustAnimeBot

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    He Gives Seth the Contract: 11; He Doesn't Give the Contract: 13

For: The_Lullabye Re: #37

21. ThatRandomGinger Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    Jane saw the woman she didn't recognize walk up and began berating the old guild clerk, spouting something about who she was or who her family was. The clerk seemed unmoved as he had dealt with all kinds working in the hall as long as he did. Rich princes shouting they must have a suchand suchs' fur or else, thugs thinking they could run their way up the ranks, and many more. Feeling a bit sorry for the girl but not wanting to earn her ire she walked up and patted her on the back.
    "Don't think he will budge, buuuut... I am looking for some help if you and your, hmmmm partner no no lover maybe, anyway I think i have something you guys could help me with while we wait for him to soften up, hehe" Jane gave a wink to Evelin to try and hint that she had the very contract she wanted, without letting the old man know she had gotten it.
    "Here's my card, I'm Jane. What do you say care to join me on a quick hunt?"

22. The_Lullabye Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    "Uh...." I stared at the woman's card and up at her. "Sure, okay."

I worked to fight the burning in my ears, thankfully my hair mostly covered it up. Silently I followed behind Jane.

23. Dungeon Master Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    Seth's eyes widened at the word "lover" and he averted his gaze for a brief but noticeable moment.
    "Wow, uh...making a lot of assumptions here, aren't we?"
    He tried to play it off like it was nothing, but he was clearly a little embarrassed.

Seth flashed a wry smile as he walked up to the two, glancing at the card in Evelin's hand.
    "Sure, I'm in! I always try to help out a fellow Hunter in need whenever the opportunity comes up, just ask her. The name's Seth and it's a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Jane."
    His pleasant and polite demeanor did well to hide how anxious he was to get started on this contract. He couldn't say for sure, but he had the feeling that this girl just picked the very same one they were after. He made a quick mental note to ask her how she did that later on.
    "It's go time, baby! This girl looks like she knows what she's doing, so this should be even easier than I thought."
    The thought of carving up those Gigginox made his confident smile grow just a little bit wider.