Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

What Anime Are You Currently Watching / Recently Finished?

Discussion in 'Anime & Manga Chat' started by Sporadic, Apr 7, 2013.

1. BaconMan8910 Blue Bomber

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    Found a few seasons of Dragon Ball at the local library and started re-watching that.  Just about to finish re-watching Rurouni Kenshin.

2. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    Finally getting to my mid season catching up. A tread I've been having for the last couple seasons. Just caught up with Magi last night. Gonna work on BlazBlue today more than likely.

3. Natsuru-san Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Watched: Detective Conan Movie 7: Crossroads in the ancient capital.
    I must say, this wasn't as enjoyable as the rest of the movies but still somewhat enjoyable. It was done differently than the rest so that's prob why I didn't enjoy it as much. Looking forward to movie 8. :)

@DTRAdmin: Just wondering two things here. Why is it for this thread only when I make a post or click a mention that takes me here it always takes me back to the beginning of the thread even though I clicked the correct link that should take me to the last page/post/mention here? Also, for a while now off and on at times when I go to paste something I copied whether text, pic etc. it pulls up this paste from word box where as before this never happened. Why is this box coming up and why can't it just let me paste directly to here as it sometimes still does and as it used to always let me do?

@Mafiacow: Well it happens. No ones mem is perfect. lol Wait, what is wrong with Cardcaptors? >.> Ah, Haganai, if you're like me then you'll LOVE that anime. hehehehehehehe >:) I was surprised by a certain character and a "particular" topic they kept bringing up but hell I love that anime. Oh if only S2 was out now I'd watch it RIGHT this moment. >:)

@Sir-Maddy: Miss Monochrome, so, how is it? Any good? I'm curious to know whether its any good or not since all the poster said was the name, showed a pic of her and listed the genre being, digital singer. o.o Reminded me of Miku there. So that and the name is what's got me interested here.

@Metazoxan: Pokémon dub...where rice balls turn out to be doughnuts.... >.> Yup, the changes are baka and make no sense. (I hate censoring/editing like this)

...Yu-gi-oh! and Sailor Moon...you just said two of my FAV animes from my childhood. Lets see here. Other than tsome cards being altered due to symbols (Dark Magicial Girl), due to nudity (Burstenitrix, Water Otomatics) or their breasts showing half way (Gemini Elf) and other edits for cards the only edit I know of is that apparently, Kaiba uses a gun in the sub? o_O Now wasn't there goons in S1 of dub who used guns on Kaiba? >.> As for Sailor Moon. Only edits I know of were two. That the last season never got dubbed due to a character having a sex change from what I heard (I have yet to watch the last season, need to get around to it...soon) and lastly, Uranus and Neptune were made to be cousins in the dub when they're actually Lesbians I believe. I know of no other edits in either anime but, just from what little I've heard (What I wrote and just fans saying dub is bad for Yu-gi-oh!), sounds like they made much bigger changes than these. .> 

Good. The dub is basically a kiddie show and for me, last year I grew out of those and stopped liking them as much. (It was a bit hard to finish watching Save Me Lollipop! at times because of this but was still good) So yeah, I'm hoping the sub is less kiddie and well, if I shouldn't have probs reading the text then that makes me more likely to watch it subbed.

4. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Metazoxan: Pokémon dub…where rice balls turn out to be doughnuts…. >.> Yup, the changes are baka and make no sense. (I hate censoring/editing like this)

…Yu-gi-oh! and Sailor Moon…you just said two of my FAV animes from my childhood. Lets see here. Other than tsome cards being altered due to symbols (Dark Magicial Girl), due to nudity (Burstenitrix, Water Otomatics) or their breasts showing half way (Gemini Elf) and other edits for cards the only edit I know of is that apparently, Kaiba uses a gun in the sub? o_O Now wasn’t there goons in S1 of dub who used guns on Kaiba? >.> As for Sailor Moon. Only edits I know of were two. That the last season never got dubbed due to a character having a sex change from what I heard (I have yet to watch the last season, need to get around to it…soon) and lastly, Uranus and Neptune were made to be cousins in the dub when they’re actually Lesbians I believe. I know of no other edits in either anime but, just from what little I’ve heard (What I wrote and just fans saying dub is bad for Yu-gi-oh!), sounds like they made much bigger changes than these. .>

Good. The dub is basically a kiddie show and for me, last year I grew out of those and stopped liking them as much. (It was a bit hard to finish watching Save Me Lollipop! at times because of this but was still good) So yeah, I’m hoping the sub is less kiddie and well, if I shouldn’t have probs reading the text then that makes me more likely to watch it subbed.

I'm not really bothered by things like food edits if they are least have the decency to do the edits well as not just obviously photoshop a stock image of a burger over something else. I agree that they are stupid as hell but at least they don't damage the story or characters in anyway. Although I do have to wonder this..... why edit rice balls? I can understand more complex foreign food like Ramen but why rice balls. The name of the food basically tells you what they are! Does 4kids think chidlren are too dumb to figure out that rice balls are made with rice?

Well anyway you underestimate the level to which those other two were edited. In the Yu-gi-oh dub they took out ANY reference to death and replaced it with soul banished the the shadow realm or the occasional "They are perfectly fine but they left and won't ever be on screen again....BTW they totally aren't dead or anything". Bomb set to blow up loser in a dual? Now it's a portal generator that sends the loser to the shadow realm. Crazy clown guy who sets up a jigsaw esque duel where the loser has their legs chopped off by saw blades (although both players end up escaping so this doesn't happen) now they are energy blades that send anyone they cut to the shadow realm. One thing that always got to me about this is that aren't demonic forces stealing people's souls into the shows equivalent of Hell a lot less kid friendly that a damn bomb? All guns were lazily edited out with nothing in their place. So you have people saying freeze and pointing fingers at people. During Marik's flash back it was shows that his rob had a knife in it and he uses it to stab his father to death. In the dub he takes the bottom off for no apparent reason (the blade was edited out) and he banishes his father to the shadow realm off scream. I could go on and on with sooooooo many more edits but I think you get the point. BTW I'm not trashing yugioh in any way I'm trashing the horrible censorship they did in the dub which caused a few plot wholes as well.

For Sailor moon it also has a LOT more edits that what you mentioned. You know that cheasy "Sailor moon says" bit at the end? The one with the weird flashing background and a grade school leason that sometimes barely even had anything to do with the episode? That was only in the dub. Also episodes were completely removed for various or even no reason. The worst was the last two episodes of season 1. They cut out so much material they had to merge the last two episodes together just to get a full episode. There were lots of other small things they changed as well that I won't go over because we'd be here all day long.

The point is the dub for both of these series were awful mostly because of extreme censorship. Whether you liked these shows or not you probably would have liked them even more if they hadn't been censored so badly.

5. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    Why is it for this thread only when I make a post or click a mention that takes me here it always takes me back to the beginning of the thread even though I clicked the correct link that should take me to the last page/post/mention here?

Now that I think of it in the home page where it says recent forum posts, the link takes you to page 1 most of the time instead of the last page where all the recent posts are. Seems to happen on the really big threads like this one and the counting endlessly one.

The point is the dub for both of these series were awful mostly because of extreme censorship. Whether you liked these shows or not you probably would have liked them even more if they hadn’t been censored so badly.

But...but... I had a crush on Sailor Moon...

Wait did I just say that?

6. plantkingman Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Just finished Shiki and it was good and it was very sad. Some people died which I wanted to live; oh well it was left up to the writers.

7. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    @Natsuru-san Yeah I've noticed with threads that exceed a certain amount of pages you're redirected back to the first page when you do the things that you mentioned. Well, I've never noticed it from following a mention to the thread is originated from but I do see it when you post a reply.

8. Lince Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +118 / 0 / -0
    It took an entire week to find a working download for it, but I'm finally going to be starting Cross Game tonight. Feeling really good about this one because of all the positive reviews it got.

9. JustAdmin Root

Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    @natsuru-san we tried fixing it, didn't work so now we gotta live with it, unless someone forks out some cash for a professional

10. Mafiacow Obsessed Over Trophies

Ratings:
    +179 / 1 / -0
    @Natsuru-san From what I've heard, Cardcaptor Sakura suffered the same sorts of edits as Tokyo Mew Mew did when it turned into Cardcaptors, except I don't think they revoked dubbing rights.
    And I am enjoying Haganai. Sena makes for one funny character. XD

@Metazoxan Wait, so every time they said "Shadow Realm", they actually meant "I'm going to kill you"?? Childhood ruined. Do the dubs have those sorts of changes for GX and onwards too? Just wondering if I should instead go sub for them when I get around to it, seeing as only the first series has proper nostalgia.

Bleach. Ep 253.
    Haganai. Ep 3.
    Eureka Seven. Ep 23.
    Love Live! School Idol Project. Ep 10.
    Naruto. Ep 53.
    One Piece. Ep 173.

11. Sir-Maddy Finger Lickin' Good™

Ratings:
    +260 / 0 / -1
    @Sir-Maddy: Miss Monochrome, so, how is it? Any good? I’m curious to know whether its any good or not since all the poster said was the name, showed a pic of her and listed the genre being, digital singer. o.o Reminded me of Miku there. So that and the name is what’s got me interested here.

It's pretty shit for a short.
    I'm only watching it the ED.
    Trust me, want a good short, go watch Teekyuu, that show has 2 seasons + a third one airing now.

12. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    @Natsuru-san From what I’ve heard, Cardcaptor Sakura suffered the same sorts of edits as Tokyo Mew Mew did when it turned into Cardcaptors, except I don’t think they revoked dubbing rights.
    And I am enjoying Haganai. Sena makes for one funny character. XD@Metazoxan Wait, so every time they said “Shadow Realm”, they actually meant “I’m going to kill you”?? Childhood ruined. Do the dubs have those sorts of changes for GX and onwards too? Just wondering if I should instead go sub for them when I get around to it, seeing as only the first series has proper nostalgia.Bleach. Ep 253.
    Haganai. Ep 3.
    Eureka Seven. Ep 23.
    Love Live! School Idol Project. Ep 10.
    Naruto. Ep 53.
    One Piece. Ep 173.
    Well there was technically a "World of Darkness" but it wasn't used as much in the original version. Here is a detailed Wikipage on the subject http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Shadow_Realm. But yeah the shadow realm was pretty much censorship. In season 2 there is at least one duelist that does have some sorta dark power but that was a unique duel not a return of the shadow realm. Also later instead of the shadow realm there is some weird thing about being "Sent to the stars" instead of dying. For 5Ds it's even worse in a way because death of a few characters (Most are even off screen for gods sake) are extremely important plot points.
    For example at one point one of the "Signers" name Aki is dueling a dark signer who seems to have a grudge against Aki. It doesn't take long for her to reveal that Aki apparently killed her little brother during one of her rampages she often did. This obviously horrifies Aki who begins to lose the will to fight. In the dub the reference to death is simple ignored and the statement is replaced with "You enjoy terrorizing people don't you" then she similarly loses the will to fight. This is extremely stupid because Aki says this fact herself several times. She is angry and depressed because of everyone rejecting her and treating her like a monster because of her powers. So she terrorizes people while calling herself a witch to prove them all right and distance herself from her pain. So she would never react like this at the soemone telling her exactly what she always tells herself and everyone else. There are several other cases of character deaths defining part of a character or being part of the plot.
    So yeah the problem with Yu-Gi-Oh is that is was written more for at least 10 and up but they tried to market it to 5 and up and so removed ANY sense of violence or death. It wouldn't be so bad if they only did it sometimes. Like having this character that doesn't even really matter or comes back to life later anyway simply get trapped in the shadow realm is fine. But there were plenty of times where they butcher the characters and plot to cover this up.

13. Natsu Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    Today (6)
    Ore no Nounai Sentakushi ga, Gakuen Love Comedy wo Zenryoku de Jama Shiteiru ep. 6
    Special A ep. 24
    Special A ep. 23
    Kyoukai no Kanata ep. 7
    Special A ep. 22
    Special A ep. 21

Yesterday (9)
    Special A ep. 20
    Special A ep. 19
    Special A ep. 18
    Special A ep. 17
    BlazBlue: Alter Memory ep. 6
    Special A ep. 16
    Special A ep. 15
    Special A ep. 14
    Special A ep. 13

Monday (2)
    Machine-Doll wa Kizutsukanai ep. 6
    Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta ep. 6

Now to continue with Reborn!

14. Mafiacow Obsessed Over Trophies

Ratings:
    +179 / 1 / -0
    Aych damnit, 4Kids!!

Was at my friend's again today, and he said he watched the first ep of BlazBlue I gave him. Just like the game, he said it was awful (which doesn't stop him from playing it when I bring it over XD). And he said he hated Taokaka because she's a kitteh, and he doesn't understand kittehs. :'(

Bleach. Ep 254.
    Haganai. Ep 4.
    Naruto. Ep 54.
    One Piece. Ep 174.

15. Natsuru-san Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    @Sir-maddy: That sounds like its just average and not worth watching. Thanks. Will look into the anime you mentioned later.

@Metazoxan: Yeah the food edits don't bother me much either other than they're just baka and pointless.

Actually, I am completely fine with those edits you mentioned for the dub of Yu-gi-oh! If any edits bother me in that anime it'd be the card edits they did. I mean for the shadow realm being actual death, well, I like the shadow realm, it helped make the anime better for me where as death is just, well, we know what that is but SR is unique, one of a kind and I guess, for GX and I think 5D's, the SR/death edits continued eh? Though one thing puzzles me with what you said. There were lots of characters in the dub who returned from the SR, so if they died in the sub, how did they come back? A certain Valentine comes to mind here, as does many of the cast.

Uh, In the name of the moon I will punish you! That the line you're talking about? The rest after you said that I have no idea what your referring to, esp the grade school leason. Uh, but that last ep of S1 of the dub is one of my all time favs and NOW someone tells me that! T^T Guess that explains the lack of, uh, explanations. Welp! Now I dunno whether to just re-watch the anime subbed or wait for the dub of the new SM anime due out next year which was/might still be airing world wide at the same time. Though, given its de dub, they might edit it too. -_- Then again, society has changed so MAYBE we'll get lucky and that won't happen a 2nd time.

@Meta & Mafia: Darn it indeed 4kids! >_< However I need to say something which Meta forgot to mention in that spoiler.
    The dub name for Aki is Akiza, not sure if that was a mistake or the sub name of Akiza and for the dub, Meta you forgot to mention that Akiza has psychic powers and isn't able to control them back then so they ran amuk, even hurting her family (Mom & Dad) and THAT'S why she called herself a monster and believed what everyone was calling her because of her powers. In the sub, I never knew she had a brother but either way, the dub does a good job of covering up the edit I'd say and I'm fine with the dub here for this part too.

And Mafia, you'll want to look up on a wiki for the eps list for GX and 5D's if you watch it dub. Sadly, there were a few eps here and there that were never dubbed (Not sure why) and worse, neither of these anime ggot the last season dubbed. Yup, I know this and ain't happy with it. I plan to eventually get around to watching what wasn't dubbed. For me, I like it dubbed but that's just me. As for Zexal, it's still on going but in season 1 (Where I stopped watching and not sure I'll watch S2) I never heard the words shadow realm. Can't say what edits they did for Zexal though.

@Mafia: Sadly, I barely remember most of Cardcaptors but it's part of my childhood and I like it. I was able to finish the rest of it (1 missed ep and the final movie which comes after the series) a while back. Anyway, due to the already mentioned, I don't regret watching it dubbed but if I hadn't and had to choose, not sure which I'd watch. One thing I've learned is, 4kids can be both good and a nightmare depending on the person. >.>

16. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    @Sir-maddy: That sounds like its just average and not worth watching. Thanks. Will look into the anime you mentioned later.

@Metazoxan: Yeah the food edits don’t bother me much either other than they’re just baka and pointless.

Actually, I am completely fine with those edits you mentioned for the dub of Yu-gi-oh! If any edits bother me in that anime it’d be the card edits they did. I mean for the shadow realm being actual death, well, I like the shadow realm, it helped make the anime better for me where as death is just, well, we know what that is but SR is unique, one of a kind and I guess, for GX and I think 5D’s, the SR/death edits continued eh? Though one thing puzzles me with what you said. There were lots of characters in the dub who returned from the SR, so if they died in the sub, how did they come back? A certain Valentine comes to mind here, as does many of the cast.

Uh, In the name of the moon I will punish you! That the line you’re talking about? The rest after you said that I have no idea what your referring to, esp the grade school leason. Uh, but that last ep of S1 of the dub is one of my all time favs and NOW someone tells me that! T^T Guess that explains the lack of, uh, explanations. Welp! Now I dunno whether to just re-watch the anime subbed or wait for the dub of the new SM anime due out next year which was/might still be airing world wide at the same time. Though, given its de dub, they might edit it too. -_- Then again, society has changed so MAYBE we’ll get lucky and that won’t happen a 2nd time.

@Meta & Mafia: Darn it indeed 4kids! >_< However I need to say something which Meta forgot to mention in that spoiler.

Spoiler:

The dub name for Aki is Akiza, not sure if that was a mistake or the sub name of Akiza and for the dub, Meta you forgot to mention that Akiza has psychic powers and isn’t able to control them back then so they ran amuk, even hurting her family (Mom & Dad) and THAT’S why she called herself a monster and believed what everyone was calling her because of her powers. In the sub, I never knew she had a brother but either way, the dub does a good job of covering up the edit I’d say and I’m fine with the dub here for this part too.

And Mafia, you’ll want to look up on a wiki for the eps list for GX and 5D’s if you watch it dub. Sadly, there were a few eps here and there that were never dubbed (Not sure why) and worse, neither of these anime ggot the last season dubbed. Yup, I know this and ain’t happy with it. I plan to eventually get around to watching what wasn’t dubbed. For me, I like it dubbed but that’s just me. As for Zexal, it’s still on going but in season 1 (Where I stopped watching and not sure I’ll watch S2) I never heard the words shadow realm. Can’t say what edits they did for Zexal though.

@Mafia: Sadly, I barely remember most of Cardcaptors but it’s part of my childhood and I like it. I was able to finish the rest of it (1 missed ep and the final movie which comes after the series) a while back. Anyway, due to the already mentioned, I don’t regret watching it dubbed but if I hadn’t and had to choose, not sure which I’d watch. One thing I’ve learned is, 4kids can be both good and a nightmare depending on the person. >.>

Not that many people "Come back" from the shadow realm. Some might have been loosely implied off screen (As in characters claim so and so is okay) but Mai was one of the few that actually did and in that case she was sent to "A Dark Dimension" it was this Dark Dimension that was losely mentioned a couple times in the series that they got the idea for the shadow realm from. Basically they just expanded it massively to cover every last death in the series. I agree that sometimes it's nice to have a character not die but it becomes a problem when the plot is damaged as a result. Also changing even implied or possible death even though no one died in the end (Like the saw blades or the bomb) is just insulting if you ask me.

For Sailor moon I wouldn't bother if I was you. Yu-Gi-Oh is apparently getting the same treatment it has been for years (Based on what I've heard). Just try the first season subbed and see how different the story is especially near the end. You'll see a couple episodes you don't remember seeing and a much better ending.

Also The psychic girl in 5D's was ofted called Aki so that is what I called her. I indirectly mentioned the thing with her family when I talked about hurting people in general. Also the brother I was talking about was the brother of the Dark Singer not Aki

They seriously absolutely buther this part of the story. In the original the leader of the movement, Divine, is revealed to have been lureing in psychic children to expand their powers to the point that they can use them outside of duels and then sell them off as super soldiers. The Dark girl's (Can't remember name) brother was one of these children and his methods involved tortoring the kid with electric shocks to force out his powers. If the child can't handle it he doesn't stop and the children that just can't handle it (Including Dark girl's brother) die. Apparently in the dub this fact is completely cut out and he is simply sent away for "Being too weak". She believes Aki is responsible which leads to the attack and the claim that she was responsible. Just watch the scene in both dub and sub and tell me that the dub doesn't feel shallow in comparison. It's not like we saw him die (Until later anyway) we hadn't even seen the kid at this point so it's not like you feel bad for the kid at this point but you do feel bad for Aki who is horrified that she could have actually taken a child's life. Change this to the dub where she is shocked at someone calling her out for liking to hurt people even though this is what she has been saying herself the entire time. The death edits create quite a few plot holes to and in the end a lot is left in a mess.

Plus Yusei's and other character's personalities are basically rewritten. Basically they change all the dialogue to make it more cheesy because they think that kids will like it better that way. Like you know how the GX and 5D protagonists has really cheesy catch phrases they always said? Those were completely made up for the dub. Let me just say I'm not a dub hater in general (Why else would I be here?) so when I criticize a dub it's for really good reason. I still like dub better than sub and will often chose to watch dub but in cases of almost anything by 4kids they water down the plot so much to "Make it more kid friendly" that it takes away some of what you could have enjoyed.

If you seriously still don't mind then fine I'm not trying to force you but since you seemed to not be aware of even half the changes they made I figured it would be good to let you know. But I encourage you to switch over to sub for those series to get more out of the series.

17. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    I'm still watching Terra e. This show is pretty amazing, It's possible I found myself a new 10\10 show which is always a rare feat. Still got halfway to go though so let's see how things go.

18. Nonononoki Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +11 / 1 / -0
    Finished La storia della Arcana Famiglia - quite good, better than expected
    Starting Maken-ki - looks like your typical ecchi harem show

19. Mafiacow Obsessed Over Trophies

Ratings:
    +179 / 1 / -0
    @Natsuru Yeah, Cardcaptors was a part of my childhood too, but seeing as it's been cut-dubbed (let's just use that term in future for this sort of thing), I don't really see the point in going past the limits of nostalgia. The last part I remember was Kero being a lion thing, but I've seen people say that it's far from the end.

@Meta & Natsuru In the case of Yu-gi-oh, I remember a great deal of it, even though it's been like ten years, so there's actually not much nostalgia to keep me past the first series (and the "no sacrifices or direct damage" in the duels is pissing me off). With GX, it's really fresh in my memory, so there probs wouldn't be any nostalgia at all, so I think I'll swap to sub at that point (if not earlier).
    And I knew the psychic girl you were both talking about, and both of her names cause I recognised her voice between it and Mew Mew Power, and looked it up to confirm. I wasn't really paying much attention in 5Ds cause it was only what I could catch on TV the other year, so it won't be any issue to watch sub there.

20. Mafiacow Obsessed Over Trophies

Ratings:
    +179 / 1 / -0
    Sorry for double post, but it was really burning at me, and need tag.
    @Metazoxan , Joey's sister, was it actually just her going blind, or was that a death censor? And how much do they change plot-wise in the seasons of normal Yu-gi-oh after Duelist Kingdom?
    @Natsuru-san , when you said earlier about a "certain character" in Haganai, did you mean the (for save of spoilers) maid?

And today's, had my standard Friday busies, and after a year of having the game, started BlazBlue's story mode. Is it bad that I effed up the first fight like five times? (Ragna sucks btw, Tao ftw!)

Bleach. Ep 255. Lols, two consecutive filler arcs, though I did enjoy this first arc.
    Haganai. Ep 5. That FMA reference earlier was kind of meh, but I lost it at the Certain Magical Index, and the OreImo references. XD
    Naruto. Ep 55.
    One Piece. Ep 175.
    And checking how I was going target-wise on my AP total, I found this... -_-
    Are you f***ing kidding me?