Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Trigger Warnings

Discussion in 'Hall of the Elders' started by Timekeeper, Apr 21, 2016.

1. BaconMan8910 Blue Bomber

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    Fair enough. I'll make my final statement, then.

It is utterly fallacious to assume that harassment and threats are any less serious simply because they occur in an online format.

Harassment is far more than a legal issue, it is a social issue. Harassment should never be ignored. Just like racism, sexism, homophobia, and ever other social issue, we can fight it and we can all but eliminate it through education and understanding.

I hope our exchange has not left a bad taste in your mouth. Though heated, I feel like it was civil and I appreciate your efforts to keep it that way. Cheers, man.

2. Heizengard AKA Cernel Joson

Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    I agree and it did not. Sorry if I came off as rude or mad. Cheers. :)

3. Core Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +488 / 0 / -0
    They used to be my role models. I would draw a square on my belly in hopes of seeing a screen turn on. Never did happen. :(
    They lasted less than 5 years, starting in 1997.

So let's get this straight:
    Trigger warnings are not censorship, merely warnings like what you see in a content warning before a v.game or movie. Trigger warnings are an act of decency. Censorship is the removal or alteration of information in order for something to be allowed.

One view of the trigger warning that was shown earlier requires that everything must have a warning because there are people who will become offended because of it.
    The other would be the more sensible version for things that really matter, like graphic content that reawakens bad memories.

For me, I treat people here the same way I would treat you in person, aside from performing half-censored cussing online.
    For this reason:
    That was the way my dad taught me to live.

True, he was one who taught by way of the fist (back-of-the-hand-to-the-face, really). I did understand what he was getting at, though, so I did learn lessons.
    This brings to mind the only thing I can think of as really getting to me is seeing a child disciplined in a way that reminds me how I was disciplined. Of course, I do not get a trigger warning for this, since I happen upon these moments or it's blended in with a movie and seems to be considered as a less significant thing to specifically warn people about. Ah, but I guess it would be better to go into my minor pity story elsewhere, since I know there are people who have had much worse.
    But I do not go into panic attacks because of this, just the anger I rarely feel.
    It's less traumatic than PTSD, obviously, but it is still unpleasant.

In part, the reason why my views are what they are is because it disgusts me when people badly react to a something insignificant as words, when I was able to take discipline without really crying (maybe some tears would end the discipline sooner, primarily my only reason).
    The only time I can really remember being truly angry by someone's words was when my dad called me a pedophile when I was about 15 for playing with younger kids at a recreation center. For one, none of my friends would be around, or would be playing basketball with competent people. I am no good at basketball, which was primarily the only sport that anyone in my community would play. Its complicated. And since I was not going to do nothing, I decided to turn to my only option.
    Anyway, not big surprise words hurt. It just makes me wonder how unreasonably aggressive people will get about it.

Theoretically, if my personality were of a less considerate and reasonable way, I would think that I might make a public show of aggression, towards those I suspect of child abuse. I will leave that to imagination. (not that it is right to do so)

Crap, ran out of steam and forgot my ideas before I finished posting this.

4. BaconMan8910 Blue Bomber

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    Aye.

Right, which I would argue doesn't have anything to do with actual triggers or trigger warnings.

Whereas this would be an example of an actual trigger.

5. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    Unrelated but this reminds me of another sort of warning. Those overly long warnings for those medical products they try to sell you? You know what I'm talking about, the ones that either stop your allergies, improve your sexual performance, help your heart and so on and so forth?

"Warning, this product may make you feel dizzy. If prolong dizziness occurs please see your doctor as you may be suffering from a very rare form of "fancy medical terminology" that effects one and every 5 million people.

Don't take "insert product here" while consuming alchohol or while pregnant <- (This has to go for almost every single drug out there no? Bears repeating I suppose)

And yes, I know it's required and they're trying to save their butts from the ever eager lawyers of the land. Still something I make fun of when I see the commercials since the warnings last longer then the effects of the product :rolleyes:

Anyway, that's enough derailing from me

6. BaconMan8910 Blue Bomber

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    Cures your erectile disfunction but may cause death.

7. Mafiacow Obsessed Over Trophies

Ratings:
    +179 / 1 / -0
    Hello, Brazilian Wandering Spider~

• Like Like x 1
  8. Original Sin Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Ok I was going to post how this has been one of the most polite conversations I have ever seen online....... but now i'm just distracted by the Brazilian Wandering Spider.

Anyway nice to see a conversation about Trigger Warnings that doesn't have anyone flipping out.

9. Core Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +488 / 0 / -0
    My dad tried a depression medicine a decade ago. Felt awful from using it. Turns out, on the news a little while after using, he hears that a new side effect was discovered: heart failure (That's what he said, anyway). I guess that is sort of a cure.

I do any of my flippin' out off-screen.:D

10. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    Interesting, I never heard of such a term. Then again I frequent the same news sites and such and already get a "feeling" on what they are going to present to me in whatever angle.

I don't fault those who feel the need to tip off others that something they are going to say could be offensive. I can understand not wanting to cause a big fuss of things. On the flip side I don't fault those for exercising their full rights either. Whether it be via a jerk like delivery or vary hard facts to swallow. We all got our ways to convey opinions. Guess I'm trying to strike a middle ground here.

Anyway I'm not sure how I feel. I know I get offended all the time, there are places I avoid just so I could stay in my little "safe zone" if you will.
    I still get a little sad when I get blanketed along the "wacko Christians" label. I do explore though, it is the internet after all. If anything it really built up that nice wall of protection so it's pretty rare that something genuinely upsets me.
    Unless it's a news story. Some of those are pretty sad.

I'll tell you one thing though that they NEED to warn you about...

LOUD NOISES. What about headphone users dammit!?

11. Vashnik Guest

『   』
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've only had that happen 3 times out of the roughly 15 years I've had access to the internet. That shit actually hurts, not an emotional, but physical. I'm just glad my ear drums haven't been torn/popped/busted/whatever from it.

12. BaconMan8910 Blue Bomber

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    I read the first part of this under the impression that we were still discussing erectile disfunction/Brazilian Wandering Spiders.

13. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    Erectile disfunction?

Never heard of it :cool:

Front page news
    "Join our community as we discuss the pros and cons of libido drugs and Brazilian Wandering Spiders. Impress your friends and families as you share the knowledge you have gain by the anime gods of our community"

Warning:
    May offend those who take "libido enhancers" and those with arachnophobia
    (is that how a trigger warning works? Somehow vaguely keeping this on topic ;))