1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reality

Discussion in 'Hall of the Elders' started by ZydenDiabolic, Jun 13, 2017.

1. ZydenDiabolic

Does it even exist, or is our perception of it just a fabrication? Or perhaps reality is different from individual to individual. What constitutes existence?

These are questions the don't necessarily have correct answers. However, I am very eager to hear your response.

#1 ZydenDiabolic, Jun 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2017
  2. Lince

The only thing you can ever be truly certain of in life is that you exist.

Are you asking if you think we're in a computer simulation or not? I mean there's always the chance, and major scientists have said that the possibility is there. But the chance of irrefutable evidence that confirms such a claim reaching the public would be very low in my opinion. Imagine the societal implications from learning that each human is just a line of code. I think it'd be in everyone's best interests if that didn't happen.

I wouldn't say that. We all live in the same universe and observe the same things as everybody else. But I'd definitely say that the "reality" from someone living in the 1900's is different from the "reality" of someone living in modern day. Hallucinations are also ways that reality can be distorted from individual to individual. I just don't see the logic in suggesting that one person is living in an entirely different physical reality from another person.

3. Sir-Maddy Master of Good Taste™

Honestly it sounds like you were smoking weed while you were typing this.

BaconMan8910 likes this.
  4. BaconMan8910 Blue Bomber

I remember this being a large topic when I took philosophy. Personally, it's a question that I find neither deep nor meaningful. It basically boils down to "how do you know you're not in the Matrix?"

When you start to question reality, empirical evidence ceases to matter as it can all be written off as only tentatively "real." Ultimately, I can only discern as being real that which I perceive. I can neither experience anyone else's perception of reality nor alter my own - or, if I can, I don't know how. So, although I can neither prove nor disprove the validity of reality as I perceive it, it is all that I am (so far as I know) capable of perceiving and is, therefore, so far as I am concerned, reality. And there's little point in dwelling on illogical, philosophical hypotheticals.

I wish I had a more interesting answer, but to me it's a pretty simple question with a simple answer: "I think, therefore I am."

5. Core

6. Rayden413

I would have to agree with Lince on this one. The idea that we all just live in the "Matrix" is a highly convoluted Idea. If the "Matrix" was a thing, then we would undoubtedly have found that there would be some kind of "Force" that would be trying to convince us that what we see isn't real. If we do indeed have a conscious then our unconscious state would always be screaming "THIS ISN'T REAL!" At us at all times. As humans, we are constantly evaluating what is real and what isn't. Especially when we deal with the Net. There are things out there that just scream at us that something isn't real, and when proper research or investigation is conducted, we do indeed find that many of them aren't real.

I additionally have to agree with the assessment that everyone perceives reality different. Someone's reality is slightly different than someone else's. However, this does not disprove the fact that we all live in reality. Like Memories, reality changes to fit the delusion or needs of each individual person.

As a Buddhist, I can't help but feel that reality is what it is. There is no other reality other than that of which I perceive. What happens once my time with this reality is over, is a different matter of debate.

7. Moosteak

If you perceive a thing, it exists; albeit, not necessarily in the form you perceive as our faculties are suspect to an extent. A way to conceptualize this notion is to consider a fictional character. Regardless of which fictional character you choose, they're definitely real as an entity. We can hold a conversation regarding said character. They're obviously not a genuine "person", but instead the depiction of an idea of a person. In this sense, they've an identity, a value within subjective reality. Their value in subjective reality assures us they've a value in objective actuality (e.g. as a collection of thoughts in our mind, writing or a picture on a page, verbal utterances, etc.). I presume we already take for granted "cogito ergo sum", so I imagine further explanation is redundant. What's more, Bacon's right on the money with how worthwhile questioning the validity of your faculties proves sans prompting (i.e. your personal experience appears substantially incongruent with the collective consciousness, potentially due to mental illness or exposure with hallucinogenic toxins).

#7 Moosteak, Jul 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  8. Unianonanymity That guy with the name.

It is my humble opinion, that god is up there playing a giant game of sims, and we're the unfortunate characters being controlled for his amusement.

9. AngeloDaniele

Just go watch some more anime or do whatever it is that amuses you.

That's my answer

10. Dylanar

So our ideas on the table are, a bored god playing "The Sims", "The Matrix", or a "Simulation."
    I've thought about all of the above and whose to say it's not true?
    Our sense of self and our surroundings feel real, but is it really real?
    A simulation from aboard space with millions of others attached to the same machine interacting in a virtual world also seems logical.
    And as for the Sims, I could believe it considering that there have been quite a lot of actions that seem completely stupid.

11. Core

Personally , I think the Matrix concept should be tossed out, unless you believe in an afterlife (as I do) and that our physical existence is the simulation, and the afterlife is when we are taken out of the simulation.
    Anyway, I think the Matrix theory is crap, because then you have to consider the existence of reality outside of the Matrix.