Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Rate The Latest Anime Series You Have Finished

Discussion in 'Anime & Manga Chat' started by Ovyda, May 8, 2013.

1. Ovyda The Phantom Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    @BlurredExistence I totally understand you. The same thing is to me... I just want to write a full review about the anime I liked, but it's so much easier with the one that I disliked. I mean saying negative points are so much easier than good ones since usually the good one is simply "I enjoyed a lot" :D

2. Batosai Manslayer

Ratings:
    +264 / 7 / -0
    And the negative is that sucked hard.

Blurred has the excuse of being english, but Ovyda? hm.. has the UK effected you that much already? :p

3. Ovyda The Phantom Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    @Batosai when I don't like something, I know why, but sometimes I enjoy the show without a clue why... it's just fun to watch but I can't say why. I can think of reasons why, but it would be a lie then.

4. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    o_O that’s the complete opposite of me. When i hate something i don’t like to talk about it and just say ”that sucked”. After watching Phantom: Requiem for the phantom, which i gave a 10, i wrote my biggest summary of a show ever lol.

I get into good detail when I like something. But I go very far into explanation when I really hate something. My only review I've posted on DTR is for Kaze no Stigma. I hated that..

http://dubtopian-review.eu/kaze-no-stigma/

5. Ovyda The Phantom Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I saw when adding Kaze no Stigma... I saw reasons in your post, but that last sentence about Shana being better such bullshit... Kaze no Stigma is fun to watch, while Shana goes too far into romance and loli...

6. Batosai Manslayer

Ratings:
    +264 / 7 / -0
    Such haters here lol.

7. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I saw when adding Kaze no Stigma… I saw reasons in your post, but that last sentence about Shana being better such bullshit… Kaze no Stigma is fun to watch, while Shana goes too far into romance and loli…

Kaze no Stigma is an absolute waste of time. If the author hadn't died and it actually had an ending then it might be bearable. Coupled with all of its flaws, it being an incomplete show is a deal breaker.

8. BlurredExistence Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Bamboo Blade (Dubbed): 8/10
    I wasn't sure about this anime initially but it turned out to be a very funny series coupled with a cast of characters that i really really liked and the dubbed voices fit them so well that i feel this is one of those rare animes where i can't imagine watching it any other way.

However, having said that, for some reason it just doesn't stand out enough for me to get overly passionate about it. I know i really enjoyed this anime but it lacks something, i don't know what, that could make me go "This is brilliant!". Plus it ends with second series baiting and, considering it's age, i don't think that's gonna happen, which is a shame.

Kaze no Stigma is an absolute waste of time. If the author hadn’t died and it actually had an ending then it might be bearable. Coupled with all of its flaws, it being an incomplete show is a deal breaker.

Don't you think it's unfair to judge a series based upon something that would be out of their control? There are a lot of great animes out there that end on cliffhangers or bait in hope for a second series. To say something's a waste of time just because it's unfinished is denying the ride it's already provided you with. You can still get a lot of worth out of experiencing something that has no end, it's just a minor frustration that you can't witness it's conclusion (but then there are plenty of animes that ARE finished but have ambiguous endings because the Japanese like that sort of thing).

I have no problem with you disliking Kaze, tho i really enjoyed it, that's your opinion. But to discredit it just because they couldn't see into the future and predict that they wouldn't be able to finish their project, even tho they do do a pretty good job of wrapping up that part of the story (imo), just seems like a poor criticism to me.

9. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    Don’t you think it’s unfair to judge a series based upon something that would be out of their control? There are a lot of great animes out there that end on cliffhangers or bait in hope for a second series. To say something’s a waste of time just because it’s unfinished is denying the ride it’s already provided you with. You can still get a lot of worth out of experiencing something that has no end, it’s just a minor frustration that you can’t witness it’s conclusion (but then there are plenty of animes that ARE finished but have ambiguous endings because the Japanese like that sort of thing).

I have no problem with you disliking Kaze, tho i really enjoyed it, that’s your opinion. But to discredit it just because they couldn’t see into the future and predict that they wouldn’t be able to finish their project, even tho they do do a pretty good job of wrapping up that part of the story (imo), just seems like a poor criticism to me.

You should have actually read my review for it instead of misinterpreting one sentence I made here. It'll save you some effort in the future next time you decide to rage/rant :)

Nowhere in my review do I state my reason for disliking it is based on it being incomplete.

Coupled with all of its flaws, it being an incomplete show is a deal breaker.

Key statement being, "Coupled with all of its flaws." If the series was actually GOOD, being incomplete would just leave me wanting more. But if its incomplete and bad, what's the point? You sit there and deal with how terrible it is and then its not even finished.

However I've heard the novels are a lot better than the show so I'll have to check those out.

10. RodRule Duct Tape is the answer to all life's questions.

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    I just finished Baccano and gave it a 3 and a half on A-P. SO many time skips and characters to keep up with. Though I did like it better then I thought I would.

11. Ovyda The Phantom Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    Well I can understand why Spor didn't like it even tho I am on 7th ep yet, but I don't agree with him. I guess you Spor took KnS too seriously. I'm just enjoying this rare occasion when MC is badass, overpowered, cool, smart, etc. It's enjoyable series if you aren't looking for a proper story and char development.

12. BlurredExistence Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sporadic wrote:
    Coupled with all of its flaws, it being an incomplete show is a deal breaker.

Key statement being, “Coupled with all of its flaws.” If the series was actually GOOD, being incomplete would just leave me wanting more. But if its incomplete and bad, what’s the point? You sit there and deal with how terrible it is and then its not even finished.

However I’ve heard the novels are a lot better than the show so I’ll have to check those out.

Ah that is actually fair enough. I retract my earlier bitching, i don't know why my mind skipped over that part, i did actually read your review to it's fullest and found no problem with it (it's your opinion after all) except that one line which you did clarify better than i had thought you had.

Well I can understand why Spor didn’t like it even tho I am on 7th ep yet, but I don’t agree with him. I guess you Spor took KnS too seriously. I’m just enjoying this rare occasion when MC is badass, overpowered, cool, smart, etc. It’s enjoyable series if you aren’t looking for a proper story and char development.

That's exactly what i took from it as well man. I wasn't pullin' out any kind of deep and meaningfuls and the character development is... well lets say a lot of it's been saved for a non-existent second series, but it's fun and compels you forward by having such a badass and competent MC (it's always enjoyable when it's the main character that has figured out what's going down before anyone else has) surrounded by a likeable, tho constantly silly, cast. Really the only time this anime puts on any sort of serious face is with the third? storyline (episodes 8 to 12), and there's still plenty of silliness going on thruout it, and during the fights, but those are all action.

13. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    Sorry Ovyda, proper story and character development are essential in any show. I can understand why you enjoy it, you watch weekly stuff you end up rating as a 4/10.

There's no excitement when the MC is so overpowered. It's like, "Oh, he's going to win again, so thrilling." Leaves no room for anticipating the next episode. And to me such predictable anime isn't enjoyable.

14. Batosai Manslayer

Ratings:
    +264 / 7 / -0
    BUT he doesn't enjoy Gintama, which has that, only 1000 times better.

15. Ovyda The Phantom Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    Cowboy Bepop 10/10

"And the work which has become a genre unto itself shall be called: Cowboy Bebop"

^ This sentence was showed several times during the episodes and it is already giving away about the uniqueness Cowboy Bepop carries. There are many unique anime in our anime world, but most of them fail to execute it well. However, fortunately that is not the case with Cowboy Bepop. It is a truly classic anime with incredibly awesome soundtrack and brilliant character development.

Cowboy Bepop centers around a group of bounty hunters in a futuristic, space-western setting. The year is 2071 and the place is our Solar System, where various planets and moons have been terraformed for human settlement. Bepop is a spaceship where two bounty hunters Spike Spiegel and Jet Black are travelling around the space and hunting down their preys to earn money. Along the way their duo (2) becomes a quintet (5) when the engineered dog Ein, beautiful yet very complicated women Faye Valentine, and computer genius teenage girl Edward (yes a girl) joins their group, or I should say forced themselves in.

This newly formed bounty hunter group is ridiculously unlucky since the day their duo became a quintet. However, this is exactly what brings the comedy. Their unlucky hunt probably is due to the lack of teamwork and recognition of each other skills. Even though they are all highly skilled in certain areas, they all usually go alone on the job which is what makes the series even more entertaining.

Yes, the plot is not the main engine of Cowboy Bepop series. Every episode is a new story and rarely has any relevance to the past episodes. Sometimes they are dramatic, sometimes comedic and sometimes very serious. When the episode starts, you simply have no clue what theme and mood this time it will be and will they capture their prey or not, or maybe it will be one of those rare episodes when they follow the main story of Cowboy Bepop? In any case, all episodes are very enjoyable and unpredictable.

Since the plot is not the main engine, then what exactly makes Cowboy Bepop series so amazing that it is usually listed in most anime top lists? Well that probably is characters and OST. Every one of the main character's have some really harsh past that they do not want to share with anyone at all. It is something they treasure a lot. All of this does not stop them from some really amusing interaction.

As I mentioned already, they have some really harsh pasts. This "past" thing is what gives a lot of room for the character development. Their past is not revealed in one short episode and what is most important - the way their past is revealed. Usually past is revealed by jumping into flashbacks, however that is not the case with Cowbow Bepop. To see how it is done, you will have to watch it yourself, but I can reassure you that their growth as individual and as a team member is definitely executed extremely well and in entertaining way.

Music is the other major factor why this series is so brilliant. Whole soundtrack is simply superb. This whole jazz music is fitting the story perfectly. I have never seen another anime that could go so perfectly in sync with its soundtrack. The last two episodes is kinda a showdown of the beauty that jazz can actually offer in combination with great story.

What is really surprising that animation is rather good considering in what year Cowboy Bepop aired. Usually I am very picky on the old anime because I cannot withstand crappy animation and just because of this I avoided Cowboy Bepop too. Well now I can certainly say that either the series were so entertaining that I did not notice animation flaws or the animation was just simply good enough considering it was released in 1998.

Overall, Cowboy Bepop is in the anime top tier list definitely for a reason. With its great amusing characters, beautiful and very fitting jazz music it also gives many short yet brilliant stories. I am not afraid to use this word to describe Cowboy Bepop at all - MASTERPIECE.

P.S. I must praise the voice actors who dubbed it amazingly well. I do not know how was the Japanese dubs, but English were great.

My review on MAL - http://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=106233

16. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    tl;dr: he liked it

17. GreatOak Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Just watched Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail. what can I say? It's Black Lagoon, if you like BL (Why wouldn't you?!) you'll love this. If you don't like BL (something I can't comprehend) then you won't like it. Although I will state that the explicit content (gore, nudity, etc.) is even more prevalent here them in BL 1 & 2, so those with weak stomachs enter at your own risk.

10/10 (reviews need numbers, right? And I can't think of a better rating for this as a massive BL fanboy)

P.S. well... maybe 11/10, but that's cheating :p

18. BlurredExistence Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well i've let a load build up again so let's blast thru these as quickly as possible and hopefully without fallin' into the rant trap.

Btooom! (Subbed): 8/10
    This anime is probably better than i've rated it, certainly i can appreciate that it is very well written, that the characters have a lot of depth and personality, that the artwork is very attractive and that the story is well thought out and implemented. Unfortunately i have a really bad emotional reaction to the rape theme that was introduced early on and the continued fear of it reappearing thruout the series kinda spoiled my enjoyment of this anime. However i've reflected a lot on it and i do believe that had i not allowed my emotions to so overwhelm me, or had i watched this anime in a more broken up fashion (rather than almost all in one go), then i would have enjoyed it a lot more.

Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo (Subbed): 8/10
    This anime was a pretty major disappointment tho managed to achieve a high score none-the-less thanks to just how very funny it is and how very appealing the cast are (mostly). My problem with it comes pretty much down to one point and that's the main character. He is such a whiny dick! He constantly blames all his failures upon other people and takes out his frustration at those failures upon the emotionally vulnerable girl he's supposed to be looking after. By the end i just couldn't rout for him at all cause he is such a selfish and inconsiderate wanker!

I also had a pretty big problem with the theme that kept popping up thru him that talented/genius people don't have to work as hard as normal people and that normal people could never achieve as much as they do no matter how much work they put in. I know the anime refutes this idea a number of times but those instances are never as strong as the reinforcement of this corrupting and wrong idea. I shudder to think what impressionable otaku would take away from watching this anime.

Still having said all that i cannot stress enough how hilarious this anime is! Also the rest of the cast are very loveable and for those reasons alone i say this anime is one worth watching, just don't expect to walk away with any sort of kind thoughts for the MC.

Dragon Crisis! (Subbed): 7/10
    At first i felt that this anime was pretty much an Index clone but it did manage to assert an identity of it's own but despite that there's really nothing all that special about this anime. An enjoyable watch but nothing more.

Escaflowne (Dubbed): 5/10
    I really don't understand women. I don't understand why i constantly come across animes that are clearly aimed at them where the main character is a total and utter selfish bitch! Oh and a weak whiny mare as well who has to rely upon or who's total existence is defined by men. Meanwhile in animes made for men the female leads can be quite strong, helpful, selfless and (too an extent) independent. I really don't get it.

Anyway, this is another example of an anime brought low by it's main character who just gets progressively worse as the series goes on (she starts off just really fickle and ends up a total self-obsessed cow!) until we get to the point where her selfishness is so heinous that i was routing for the enemy to come take her away and destroy the world just so i could be done! So -2 points for that. On top of that failing is the written, i can't tell you how many times i said to myself "well that's quite the coincidence" plus i really can't comprehend some of the character's motivations, they can be quite moronic. -1 for that. Next there's a ridiculously annoying recurring villain who pretty much instantly becomes an absolute joke being how he completely crumbles in front of his rivals every time they encounter each other. Another -1. Finally the ending is just rubbish, i couldn't buy it at all and it had a load of that love and heart bull that you expect from kiddy shows. And the final -1 for that.

It's a shame i saw a lot of potential in this anime but while the action is good and the premise is interesting the rest of the anime is not well implemented and when you can't bring yourself to rout for the main character well that's a major major major flaw!... unless your anime title is School Days in which case it's intentional.

Binbougami ga! (Subbed): 9/10
    This is a fantastic hilarious and crazy anime and you should watch it! Review over.

19. Batosai Manslayer

Ratings:
    +264 / 7 / -0
    Bakuman S1, S2 & S3 - 10/10

After 75 episodes of greatness, i finished it. I can easily say this is one of the very best animes i have ever seen. These authors created Death Note, which was a masterpiece and they surpassed themselves with Bakuman. It's about 2 guys making mangas of their own. With them comes another bunch of authors who all make their own manga and these 2 real authors thought up ALL those ideas. I actually want to see atleast 5 of those mangas become a real anime because they seem so great.

Anyway, i enjoyed evry second of this anime and it had a perfect ending. I'm pretty sad it ended though. I was pretty addicted to it.

20. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    Bakuman S1, S2 & S3 – 10/10

After 75 episodes of greatness, i finished it. I can easily say this is one of the very best animes i have ever seen. These authors created Death Note, which was a masterpiece and they surpassed themselves with Bakuman. It’s about 2 guys making mangas of their own. With them comes another bunch of authors who all make their own manga and these 2 real authors thought up ALL those ideas. I actually want to see atleast 5 of those mangas become a real anime because they seem so great.

Anyway, i enjoyed evry second of this anime and it had a perfect ending. I’m pretty sad it ended though. I was pretty addicted to it.

When I first heard about this anime it sounded dreadfully dull. It's good to hear this praise though so I'll keep that in mind.