Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Rate The Latest Anime Series You Have Finished

Discussion in 'Anime & Manga Chat' started by Ovyda, May 8, 2013.

1. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    I haven't finished anything good enough to comment on for a while now. Been playing too many video games instead. Also got bogged down watching Casshorn Sins which has to be the slowest developing anime I have ever seen of all time. When I'm done with that one I would definitely give my opinion of it. It may be slow as hell but for some reason I keep going back to it. I just get the feeling something big might start to happen.

2. BlurredExistence Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Origin: Spirits of the PastOrigin: Spirits of the Past[/url] (Dubbed): 8/10
    I've gotta admit that i was incredibly drunk yesterday and when i got home after the pub i stuck this one to watch for the first time which probably was a mistake since while i know i enjoyed it a lot i can't remember anything specific to tell you about it. = | Sorry about that.

Suisei no Gargantia (Subbed): 10/10
    Now i know i'm guilty of enthusing too much over animes i really like but it is no word of a lie when i say this anime is epic! Basically for those who don't know this is another "Person in a Strange World" anime like Hataraku Maou-sama! only this time it's done with a more serious tone, for example the main character has a much harder time adjusting to the world and society he finds himself in. Everything from the art and world design down to the characters and story is just top notch stuff and this is an anime that very much left me with that empty feeling after finishing it. Give it a go i seriously promise you will not be losing time over this one (even if you don't think of it as much as i do i guarantee you will at least enjoy watching it).

3. Batosai Manslayer

Ratings:
    +264 / 7 / -0
    Phantom: Requiem for the phantom - 10/10

Absolute masterpiece. One of the very best shows i have ever seen. A serious, dark themed anime about the mafia world and assassins. One of my favorite settings. I simply love to watch stuff from that world and this anime brought the best of the world up and showed it in such a realistic way. Great anime i really loved it and i will miss it now that it's finished. Great plot, great story, great characters and great ending.

4. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    Phantom: Requiem for the phantom – 10/10

Absolute masterpiece. One of the very best shows i have ever seen. A serious, dark themed anime about the mafia world and assassins. One of my favorite settings. I simply love to watch stuff from that world and this anime brought the best of the world up and showed it in such a realistic way. Great anime i really loved it and i will miss it now that it’s finished. Great plot, great story, great characters and great ending.

That is a great show I agree @batosai! The soundtrack for it really brought out the best of the show as well so don't forget to look around for it if you are into that sort of thing. You might want to give Gungrave a shot. It has that mafia underworld feel to it.

5. Ovyda The Phantom Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    Glad to see you enjoyed it as much as I did.

6. Batosai Manslayer

Ratings:
    +264 / 7 / -0
    Batosai wrote:
    Phantom: Requiem for the phantom – 10/10

Absolute masterpiece. One of the very best shows i have ever seen. A serious, dark themed anime about the mafia world and assassins. One of my favorite settings. I simply love to watch stuff from that world and this anime brought the best of the world up and showed it in such a realistic way. Great anime i really loved it and i will miss it now that it’s finished. Great plot, great story, great characters and great ending.

That is a great show I agree @batosai! The soundtrack for it really brought out the best of the show as well so don’t forget to look around for it if you are into that sort of thing. You might want to give Gungrave a shot. It has that mafia underworld feel to it.

Already have it added to plan to watch so eventually i'll get to it :p

7. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    Finally had a chance to finish some things from last season.

Devil Survivor 2 The Animation: 6/10 - Overall I thought the show was lacking a little something in nearly every department. The plot was relatively simple, characters weren't detailed enough and the only thing that was slightly enjoyable was the visual aspects of the animation. Oh and a little bit of the soundtrack was pleasing as well. If it wasn't for those two elements this would probably have gotten a 4/10 from me. I needed more depth in the story. They thought they were being creative with the progression but it was certainly void of a detailed or complex plot structure.

Suisei no Gargantia: 8/10 - I particularly enjoyed this one. The setting wasn't your typical scenario and isn't something that has been reused a hundred times in anime. The post-catastrophe earth and its entirely aquatic terrain was what initially attracted me to this show. Gargantia is able to take you out of a standard environment and transport you to a new captivating world. They gave a nice history towards the state of the planet, the militant society of the Galactic Alliance of Humankind and the monstrous abnormalities known as the Hideauze. They follow a nice twist of events with the Hideauze and really turns around your view to the entire situation thus far in the show. And what I especially enjoyed was the character development in Ledo. His immersion into a new society and culture forced him to adapt to his new surroundings. He eventually learned their language, familiarized himself with the people and in the end adjusted himself to their way of life. Its nice to see shows that effectively deal with so much in only 12 or 13 episodes and still manage to get across a slice of life vibe by enveloping you into the daily lives and events of the people. That's what gave it an 8 for me instead of a 7. if they would have drug this out over 24 episodes it wouldn't have been as enjoyable. I could keep going but then this would turn into a full review.

Kakumeiki Valvrave: 5/10 - Maybe my opinion of the show will change once the second season comes out. Some shows can efficiently combine a wide array of themes and some shows can genuinely fail at trying to accomplish the same task. And then you have shows like Valvrave which significantly fall short of the latter. This was a space, mecha, child soldier, vampire, desu rape machina disaster. I sincerely hope the next season delivers more.

8. Ovyda The Phantom Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    Enjoyed reading your thoughts. You rarely go into such depth :)

9. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    I used to but I've been lazy lately. Guess I should try more often lol.

10. Ovyda The Phantom Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    You should. I enjoyed reading. Although I was surprised that DS2 I rated lower than you :D You are usually more picky than I am.

11. BlurredExistence Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Kakumeiki Valvrave (Subbed): 7/10
    A pretty good series this, well and enjoyable one anyway. It showed a lot of promise at the start but does decend quite a bit into your bog standard Sci-fi Mecha pretty quickly. Characters are your standard tropes really. Visually it's quite pretty and interesting. Ends with a cliffhanger, and not a good one either you're like halfway thru a situation and it stops and tells you to be continued basically. The second series is launched in October so my suggestion is to wait until that's finished to watch this and then watch them together, and this series' rating may go up pending my thoughts on how it all ties together.

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 (Subbed): 10/10
    This anime! Watch it if you haven't already! Based upon proper research conducted into what would be the effects of a high magnitude earthquake hitting a major city this anime takes us on a journey of two children and a women who's taken to seeing them get home. You get to see some of both the ugliness and the good of human nature in this anime (tho it doesn't go too much into the ugliness, ie. things like looters and people who take advantage during disasters such as these isn't approached at all, but you do see quite a lot of the selfishness of people during such circumstances) and it will touch you and make you cry in places. In many ways this series reminds me of Studio Ghibli's Grave of the Fireflies, and if the fact that it's managed to do that on any lvl isn't enough to inspire you to go watch this then i don't know what will!

@Sporadic: I can't believe you and i have watched two of the same series around roughly the same time! I know i'm rating them higher but my opinions of them are about the same as yours (i basically rate under a system where anything that scores an average 5 is something i didn't really enjoy so anything i do enjoy has to get a 6 or above and so it escalates from there well out of my control! = p). It was Ledo's character development that i enjoyed most in Gargantia as well and Valvrave did very much seem to be falling short of making itself into a stand up series despite trying to do so many (probably too many) different and interesting ideas.

12. Ovyda The Phantom Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    Well it shouldn't be a big surprise since it just finished airing :D

13. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    Nice mini reviews guys. I'll keep some of these in mind. Anyway finally! I finally finished Casshorn Sins! It was not worth my effort...

This was an atrociously slow anime that had very little in the way of plot development. So does that mean it's comedy filler? Hell no, just 24 episodes of extreme melodrama to make you feel depressed. At some point enough is enough, I couldn't take the angst anymore. Seriously it seemed like every episode was a repeat of the last. Character stuck on dying world looking for a reason to live, fight scene occurs, end episode, repeat. No plot at all, a whole bunch of side characters that do nothing to add to the main plot (if there was one), and a main guy that has amnesia. Yep.

5\10. At least the fights and music was good.

14. GreatOak Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I suck at reviews, so I'll keep them short.

Dark Than Black 2 (7.5-10)
    It was a fun watch, and the story was much more unified then the first. But even still, it seemed to miss something the first had, I just can't tell what....

I.G.P.X. Immortal Grand Prix (season 1)(6.5-10)
    Was fun, but SOOOOO predictable, only started to watch because of Toonami. I hear season 2 is better, so we'll see.

15. BlurredExistence Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just can't get on this site enough to keep you guys up-to-date these days it seems, and so for that reason here's another three animes i've watched recently.

OreImo Series 1&2 (Subbed): 8/10
    I've watched the first series and specials before so when it came to watching it a second time i took to heart what i had heard that the end of the first series was canon and not the OVAs so i didn't bother with them this time around... which turned out to be completely wrong, the first series' ending was no longer canon and it's the events in the OVA which lead us into the second series! Fortunately for me i remembered enough of my last viewing to avoid total confusion but it was a bit of a struggle for the first episode.

This is a very good anime, very funny (particularly if you're an otaku, or a general nerd/geek, there's a lot to relate to) and with some very touching moments (particularly if you have siblings there's a lot to relate to). The cast is well defined and very likable, tho one may thing there are one too many Tsunderes in this anime. Unfortunately, tho, i had rather high hopes for the second series, particularly hoping that events would go in a direction counter to what i predicted they would so that i could come away and say that this anime was excellent and not just very good... they don't. If you wish to understand what my hope was in this vein it's probably enough to tell you that i'm in Kuroneko's camp and not Kirino's. Anyway, tho largely pridictable (which is probably my only technical problem with it), overall this anime is still well worth a watch.

Inu x Boku SS (Dubbed): 9/10
    I've considered watching this series many times before but turned it down time and again under the assumption that it would be a dumb actiony (possibly ecchi) moe anime and so it came as a wonderful surprise when i finally picked it up and discovered that at it's core it has a very serious and touching story about a girl who struggles with her inability to be honest and not lash out at others learning how to interact and get close to the people around her. It is presented in a really funny and light manner, it's another anime with a great cast characters whom each deliver some really funny lines, but there is no denying the deep and meaningful underlying tone. I was pretty much set on scoring this a "solid 8" all the way thru the anime until i came up to the final 3 episodes which were done so well i just had to push it up to a "just squeezed in 9".

If i was to point out a problem with the series i would have to say that the Dubbed version, while is great with a good cast of voice actors, suffers from the problem of having untranslated Japanese txt on screen. This happens a lot, to the point where one wonders why the smeg didn't they bother to translate it?!! And i get the feeling a lot of it is significant so either learn Kanji or watch a subbed version at least once to know what all that stuff says/means.

The OVA's rather funny as well but since it doesn't deal with any of the seriousness of the series and is three separate stories squeezed into one episode i rated it separately and gave it an 8.

Jyu Oh Sei (Subbed): 6/10
    If you know me then you know that 6 out of 10 is about as low as i can go when it comes to animes i enjoy, any lower and as far as i'm concerned it's rubbish and should be binned! This series started out with the possibility of being an 8 in my mind, with an interesting premise and a rather good initial cast of characters, but unfortunately once it hit the halfway mark it looses it's way a bit and the ending isn't satisfying at all.

16. Ovyda The Phantom Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    Great reviews ^^ Seems like you are on a streak :D

17. BlurredExistence Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    @Ovyda: Tbh i'd be happier if i could watch something rubbish just so i could rip the smeg out of it. It's always so much harder for me to write a review/rating for something i enjoy than something i disliked, i can go on for pages and pages about something i despised.

18. Batosai Manslayer

Ratings:
    +264 / 7 / -0
    o_O that's the complete opposite of me. When i hate something i don't like to talk about it and just say ''that sucked''. After watching Phantom: Requiem for the phantom, which i gave a 10, i wrote my biggest summary of a show ever lol.

19. Uallandme Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Is This A Zombie?/ Of The Dead 9/10

Is This A Zombie? is a weird show, i was introduced the show back in one of the Justdubs eliminations with Eu having a fair bit of support and i finally got around to finishing the show, put simply if you like comedy's watch it if not still watch it.

its about Ayumu a zombie/magical girl (who is also male) and his life with a magical girl, a necromancer (who can't speak, using only notes to communicate causing Ayumu to 'use his imagination') and two vampire ninja girls. with this strange array of cast its only natural that my favorite part of the show is the interaction between the cast whether it be between his jealous friend or 'miss fairy' i would laugh and, since the job of a comedy is to make you laugh it did a good job

Now i am really bad when it comes to nit-picking but i noticed that the womans chests randomly changed size depending on the amount of clothes they had on i know this is stupid and there is something wrong with me for even complaining about this but it was something that caught my attention. Also why are all the cute ones really evil?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] maybe its just me

20. BlurredExistence Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    o_O that’s the complete opposite of me. When i hate something i don’t like to talk about it and just say ”that sucked”. After watching Phantom: Requiem for the phantom, which i gave a 10, i wrote my biggest summary of a show ever lol.

I don't know why man, i'm always much clearer about what i dislike than what i like. It could be because i'm English and we love to moan about anything and everything or it could be just that i'm a negative person??? Whatever it is you can see it by the fact that any good review i do is but a couple of paragraphs at most while a bad review could go on for pages of content... that is if it don't restrain myself properly (i can still appreciate the laws of tl;dr).