Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Rate The Latest Anime Series You Have Finished

Discussion in 'Anime & Manga Chat' started by Ovyda, May 8, 2013.

1. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    I find myself really looking for those kind of anime now. Always got to try new things and thankfully Japan seems to have everything, even crazy comedies about hamsters (don't ask). Man the one I'm watching now has old school vampires! Vampires! In anime! You hear me Hollywood?

2. BlurredExistence Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I find myself really looking for those kind of anime now. Always got to try new things and thankfully Japan seems to have everything, even crazy comedies about hamsters (don’t ask). Man the one I’m watching now has old school vampires! Vampires! In anime! You hear me Hollywood?

Dude, the last thing i want is Hollywood to start looking to anime for ideas, cause you just know they'd run em all into the ground. Heck that's why i moved to anime in the first place! I was sick and tired of all the repetitive regurgitated smeg we're getting from western media that i became overly passionate about anime being so different and refreshing!... you know by actually having a new idea every now and giving them ago rather than just finding something that was popular once and repeating it over and over for the next 20 to 30 years! ("Got tired of Friends? Well here's 8 new TV shows exactly like it!" "Found that Sandra Bullock rom-com slightly funny? You better, cause every single damn one we're gonna release from now until the END OF TIME has the exact same premise and structure!") -.-

3. Ovyda The Phantom Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    Date A Live 8/10
    Well... I had high hopes for it and it almost lived up to them. I said almost, so what it lacked? A decent girl. We had crazy girl Kurumi, military/emotionless/straightforward Origami, tsundere/silly Tohka, loli Yoshino and another tsundere Kotori. But what about a girl who's a mature beauty and intelligent? Something like Yukino from Oregairu and Masuzu from Oreshura would have fit quite well the story. All those girls in DAL were easy to make them fall for you - just be kind and say you care about them. But this definitely wouldn't have worked with intelligent mature beauty. Now that would be interesting to watch. I hope this is what 2nd season will be all about... but probably it will be about that "other spirit".

The whole idea of the anime was rather good. A bit of a different way to create Romance/Harem anime did work out. It's a rather simple anime, all you need to do is just lay down, turn off your mind and enjoy. There's nothing to think about it, just another anime which is good for entertainment and relaxation.

4. BlurredExistence Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    @Ovyda: It's a tough genre to stand out in as there are soooo many of them.

5. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    Great I finished Shiki! This is anime vampire Dracula. We have blood sucking vampires gradually making a small village lose their population. To add further insult to injury some of the victims come back as the undead. Admittedly the show suffers a bit of an identity crisis, is this going to be a horror kind of show or are we suppose to feel pity to those who turn into the undead? Thankfully I feel it leans more to the former but you would have to be completely heartless not to feel some pity to those who turn into the blood suckers. After all they do in fact retain their human sanity (only with a human blood appetite!)

This is the vampires of old, vulnerable to sunlight, religious symbols, wooden stakes, all the old legend stuff only in colorful anime form. This is also one HARD show to stomach at times. It's violent, bloody, mature themes of right vs wrong, and perhaps divisive (some people might not approve of certain actions). I may think of one person as a hero while someone else thinks of them as a true monster.

A very different and unique anime I think it was a great one. I give it an 8.

p.s My scores are usually an entire point behind other people. I'm on a one man crusade to fix the grading system!

6. Ovyda The Phantom Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    Well I have Shiki in my PTW list, and after reading this, I am sure I'll like it :)

7. BlurredExistence Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  8. Ovyda The Phantom Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    @BlurredExistence Indeed K-ON! is just brilliant. I am yet to watch the movie tho.

Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai 6/10

*SPOILER ALERT* Not like it has anything major, but still be careful.

I don't really understand all this fuss about Haganai. It's very generic and...lame? All characters are very different, that's good, but... what about some development? What is the use of the club if they don't even consider club members as friends? Wait... don't tell me this crap "Because Yozora created it to be alone with Kodaka" or "to make a comedy out of it". Well sorry, but the comedy wasn't funny at all. I can't say it was crap, just nothing special at all. Plot-less story with no character development, no action, no good comedy...that's how I would sum up what is Haganai all about. Although the interaction between characters were amusing to watch sometimes.

So yeah, I mentioned characters being different? That's true, but...I think it was overdone. MC who looks like and is considered as delinquent, childhood friend who was behaving like a boy and now takes the bully role, blonde girl from rich family who is spoiled and runs off the scene crying and calling another character baka every 2nd episode, perverted yet genius scientist who apparently doesn't even need to go to regular classes (note: girl), cosplaying feminine guy whom I'd mistake as a girl everytime because it couldn't be made more girly, younger sister who has 8th grade syndrome, and the best one...10 year old sister of the church who is a "moderator" of the class and uses a word "poop" in every episode. Just imagine all them being in one room... you think it would be hilarious? So did I, but the reality was different.

There isn't anything to say about the plot itself because such thing didn't exist. Their aim was to find new friends? Well they didn't even try once doing that. Actually even their so called "club activities" weren't even close to something that would help making friends... And the worst part of the show in my opinion was when she cut her hair... totally ruined it for me. I was always up for long black haired girls, and I especially hate when a girl who starts with long hair ends up with short one... -.-

Now time for OVA. Probably just another special episode with fanservice.

9. BlurredExistence Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    @BlurredExistence Indeed K-ON! is just brilliant. I am yet to watch the movie tho.

@Ovyda: The movie is truly superb, but it's probably best to hold off until you can get your hands on the dub (which you're probably gonna do if you've been watching the dubbed version of the show) as the voice actors for the "English" natives that the girls interact with (there's not many, two or three... maybe four) are dire.

What is the use of the club if they don’t even consider club members as friends? Wait… don’t tell me this crap “Because Yozora created it to be alone with Kodaka” or “to make a comedy out of it”.

The idea is that they're each so emotionally damaged (Yozora, for example, clearly suffers from a severe anti-social personality disorder) that they are either too blind to realise they've become friends or are purposely refusing to believe that they can be friends as a defence mechanism (which anyone who's either studied psychology or been thru therapy would recognise) and this is in fact pointed out at the very end of the second series with Kodaka in particular, but i ain't gonna suggest you watch that just to see the justification as the comedy's a big part of the series and as it's not to your tastes i highly doubt you'll enjoy the second series any better.

10. Ovyda The Phantom Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    It's club activity... I even personally nominated lol. So yeah, I'll definitely finish it. Nonetheless, I can't say it bad, just I was expecting a lot...

As for K-ON movie, I watched it subbed.

11. BlurredExistence Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It’s club activity… I even personally nominated lol. So yeah, I’ll definitely finish it. Nonetheless, I can’t say it bad, just I was expecting a lot… As for K-ON movie, I watched it subbed.

That sort of thing is the reason i'm not part of any of the clubs on here. I feel really uncomfortable when others dictate what i should do with my spare time... like i'm trapped in a very tight space.

I personally think Boku is a brilliant series but then i've been thru some of the emotional smeg that these characters suffer from and so relate to it alot. I also find it's comedy very much to my tastes. The second series goes more into some of the characters emotions and why they are the way they are but there's still a lot left unsaid or discovered, the ending makes it very clear that a 3rd series is necessary and i truly hope it gets one and asap!

Re: K-On ah well then you'll just have to put up with the non-native "English" voice acting, tho as i said it's only in a few instances and it's by no means enough to spoil the film.

12. Ovyda The Phantom Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    I'm sure I will prefer K-ON's subs over dubs anyway. I am used to their voices, so I wouldn't want any changes.

As for Haganai. If they wanted to go for an emotional route, why the hell they made every episode like a comedy? :| My whole concentration goes then on the comedy and well... it's so generic that I couldn't even find it funny. Btw, I liked Rika most because she was the most original one. She did make me both laugh and be disgusted lol. I wish Kodaka at least once would have been braver and said something to her perverted back like "alright, come into my bed" I wonder how would she react then.

The other character I'd probably like is Sena if... she wasn't running off every 2nd episode crying and calling baka, idiot... Well that's not the biggest issue for me, but the fact that she doesn't stand back in the end... she tries to but always loses to Yozora in the end and gets frightened. I would like their fight to be more equal. As for Yozora... I am not fond of "act like boy" and "cut hair" things.

13. BlurredExistence Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I’m sure I will prefer K-ON’s subs over dubs anyway. I am used to their voices, so I wouldn’t want any changes.

I feel exactly the same way man.

As for Haganai. If they wanted to go for an emotional route, why the hell they made every episode like a comedy? [​IMG] My whole concentration goes then on the comedy and well… it’s so generic that I couldn’t even find it funny.

There have been many animes out there that have tried tackling serious subjects with comedy, there's nothing wrong with doing it that way, and your suggestion that this one is failing is due to your personal taste (and there's nothing wrong with that), it succeeded for me. I'm thinking that the first series was set up, the second series brings in some of the more serious side of things (tho it's still heavily a comedy) but i get the feeling that things won't get into full swing until the third. Having said that tho i managed to pick up a lot from the first series alone. I think a lot of it is covered by the subtleties of the character's interactions with each other, ie. you see two of them in a room alone together unable to talk to each other or you see someone react to something another has said in a way a normal (emotionally healthy) person wouldn't, stuff like that is done very well thruout the anime imo.

Btw, I liked Rika most because she was the most original one. She did make me both laugh and be disgusted lol. I wish Kodaka at least once would have been braver and said something to her perverted back like “alright, come into my bed” I wonder how would she react then.

Such a thing would go completely counter to Kodaka's personality. If you notice, despite being the "main character", he never initiates anything and would be extremely distant to most of the cast if he wasn't being pulled around by them all most of time. He's terrified of being judged and betrayed by others so he avoids putting himself out there so much.

The other character I’d probably like is Sena if… she wasn’t running off every 2nd episode crying and calling baka, idiot… Well that’s not the biggest issue for me, but the fact that she doesn’t stand back in the end… she tries to but always loses to Yozora in the end and gets frightened. I would like their fight to be more equal.

Sena's thing is that she was never challenged by anyone until she met Yozora and for that reason she holds her, and her opinions, in an extremely high regard. Hence why she always loses, as Yozora doesn't care for her at all but she cares about what Yozora thinks it's impossible for them to fight on an equal standing, and why she cries so much when she's hurt by her.

As for Yozora… I am not fond of “act like boy” and “cut hair” things.

Yozora's actually my favourite character but then i understand her. Yozora suffers from a severe anti-social personality disorder to the point where interacting with others, as well as merely being in a crowd of people, is extremely difficult for her. That's why her standard response to dealing with others is to either lash out or to tease relentlessly, if you can put them down on a lower peg then there's nothing to fear, as well as why she personally prefers isolation too being around other people (this is demonstrated by the fact that she doesn't interact with anyone else in her own class to the point where our first introduction to her is her speaking with an invisible friend) and if it wasn't for her meeting with Kodaka once more she would never have made the club and she would have spent her entire highschool life completely alone. This also would be why the group fails to make any progress with it's main objective, since it's being driven forward by someone who is essentially completely unable to make friends on her own initiative.

EDIT: Oh and btw the whole cutting her hair thing was her giving up on waiting for Kodaka to realise she's Sora out of fear that he was drifting further away from her.

14. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    As if my expectations for Haganai weren't already so low @Ovyda. Of course I'll still watch it hoping to get something out of it. I been spoiled by some good anime for a while now anyway. Got to take one for the group. Besides, it can't be worst then Shinji Ikari. Nothing is. Nothing!

15. BlurredExistence Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    @Doomguy: Does my opinion suddenly mean nothing??? = (

16. Ovyda The Phantom Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    @Doomguy it's not that bad, don't overreact :D Just I am usually liking similar series, but this one... probably if it didn't have such fuss about it, I would have liked more. Now I came with high expectations and booom, nothing worked out for me.

@BlurredExistence I have a feeling that I won't understand this because I have never experienced that "unable to make friends" thing. One of my favorite things to do is to communicate. I find a topic with basically anyone who is willing to talk to me, it doesn't matter whether it's sport, politics, random stuff, emotions and etc. I am good at adjusting to people if I want to. So yeah... to me mostly it seems a bit too stupid what happens in the anime, maybe that's why. I can't take that seriously as a problem since there is a lack of drama. You probably don't agree with me, but I was expecting more drama with some depression scenes instead of comedy since it was supposed to about emotional issues right?

Run off crying because you don't have what to say and coming back next day like nothing happened or getting called a meat every time and thinking oh cool I got a nickname is...hmm. :)

17. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    This reminds me of the time I convinced myself that Lunar Silver Story was a childish game and not worth my time of day. I got so bored one day so I decided to play it anyway and boy was I wrong on so many levels.
    This is not my genre of choice but it does have high marks as far as the MAL scores go. Well enough on preconceived notions the only way to find out is to watch it myself.

@Doomguy: Does my opinion suddenly mean nothing??? = (

Your comments @BlurredExistence might be better suited if I had seen the show but they are of course very welcomed and highly valued. (wait you were just messing with me on that right? Curse the lack of a sarcasm button!)

How is Shiki so far?

18. Ovyda The Phantom Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom 10/10

I will on-hold my full review till the day comes for the activity club's discussion thread to be opened. However, I still wanted to share just few thoughts about it.

Another masterpiece by Gen Urobuchi. This writer is out of this world... I loved everything about this anime except one little thing - certain character's growth. However, it's really such a minor thing that doesn't change my opinion at all. All that thrill and suspense was killing me... I watched all of this in 2 days. Well if I had more time, I would have finished instantly from the very 1st episode till the last 26th episode. A must see anime whoever loves dark themed one!

19. BlurredExistence Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    @Ovyda: That's totally fair enough man. Obviously people who can relate will read more into it and those who can't will struggle and as with the comedy it's all a matter of opinion and whether it hits or misses it's a fickle thing. I was just trying to point out a little of the psychology so you could understand a little better. I probably could go much deeper into it but i'll resist so not to completely take over this thread.

@Doomguy: Always assume sarcasm man, it's the only safe way to be when dealing with English people online. = p

Yeah it's going really well. I must confess that for the first few episodes i was unsure whether i was going to be able to get into it or not but once i finished episode 4 i felt that familiar yearning to watch just that one episode more. I'm really liking the return to the classic rules, forgetting about Twilight and it's sparkly vampires, even in anime they tend to come off as a bit of a softcore version of the vamps i grew up with as a kid.

20. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    So I actually saw all 13 episodes of Soukou no Strain in one sitting today tying my personal best (looks like I can break my record today!). Not because I thought it was the greatest thing ever (though it's really good), but because I had the company of my brother to watch it with.

This is a tough one for me to rate right now. Most likely an 8 right now. Later on though? Time will tell but for now this is deserving of it because for me, once you enter 8 territory it is because you have a good enough story and supporting cast to make it happen. The story reveals itself towards the end, and while it feels crammed in there it doesn't feel...fake? Don't know how else to put it. Seemed acceptable to me even if the time space stuff went over my head a bit. The characters are the ones moving the plot in the early going, trying to get along is hard work and the anime makes the intelligent decision let you figure out why the main girl is so...unfriendly (hint-I think events in episode one would mess you up too)

Oh did I say that the antagonist is a Final Fantasy 7 Sephiroth ripoff? Not sure what to feel on this, his reasoning makes as much sense as that guy. Then again there's that innate cool factor...

I actually feel as though this anime could have done more but there is no one reason I can point to. Ugh so indecisive but so much worth my afternoon. Oh yeah how the heck is this rated PG-13? Not only was there nudity (it was a funny break episode though), but there was a boatload of violent deaths and stuff. Not that I'm complaining of course.

Oh yeah @Ovyda...anime puberty is a beautiful thing lol. Plastic surgery maybe?