Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Rate The Latest Anime Series You Have Finished

Discussion in 'Anime & Manga Chat' started by Ovyda, May 8, 2013.

1. Batosai Manslayer

Ratings:
    +264 / 7 / -0
    Mushibugyo - 7/10

Finally got around to finishing it. Had a few eps left because of Hajime no Ippo. About the anime, it was not great, but it was definitely not bad. It was a typical shounen, that used evry single element all shounens use.

Some characters were very good, Mugai, Koikawa, Kotori(was epic in the last eps). Jinbei was an alright main character for a shounen aswell, so the characters were fine.

The humour was good enough. Managed to make me laugh a few times.

The art was different, but interesting. Not great, but i didn't really mind it.

The story could have been better, and it could have been longer, which i hoped for when it started, but for a 26 episode shounen, it was good enough.

I never really got bored while watching it, but i am also glad i'm done with it now.

2. Mafiacow Obsessed Over Trophies

Ratings:
    +179 / 1 / -0
    Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai 7/10
    I came into this expecting something a little different. It was alright, but I reckon it would have been better if it were more along the lines of constantly getting to the brink of everyone finding out. Nonetheless, it was funny, and the good kind of awkward. I can see what other people meant when they said people got angry at the ending; it was fairly predictable. Watching True Route did make it better though, and I preferred it to normal OreImo (giving True Route 8/10).

3. Mafiacow Obsessed Over Trophies

Ratings:
    +179 / 1 / -0
    Sorry for the double post, but I needed to tag Blurred.

Anime I finished today:
    Nisemonogatari - 9/10
    Where as my watching of Bakemonogatari both times was for the Hanekawa arc (final arc, not really caring much about the other arcs), I really liked both arcs of Nisemono. They wasted no time jumping into the perverted humour, had some really good character development, good story, and as always, good music. Hanekawa scored unneeded bonus points for messing with Senjogahara, and Shinobu qualified for my fave character list as soon as she started talking, but could someone tell me what source told me she was voiced by Aya Hirano? I didn't even know it wasn't her until I went to go add Shinobu this morning.
    And someone who's already seen it, please answer this spoiler:
    Why is it that Araragi "confirmed" Tsukihi as his sister through lack of feeling when he kissed her, when the opposite was rather true in the toothbrush scene with Karen?

Spice and Wolf II - 8/10
    Was an alright sequel, but it focused more on the relationship between Lawrence and Holo, rather than the merchant wheeling and dealing that I found much more interesting in the first season.
    Again, someone who's already seen, please answer:
    What exactly was it that Lawrence and Holo did at the very end? I just got rather confused and lost.

Hellsing - 3/10
    Did not like this one much at all. Found it difficult to get through. The music wasn't much to listen to, the plot was lacking and a bit confusing, Crispen Freeman's voice acting was the only that didn't sound forced. Alucard was sorta cool, but his powers made no sense to me. Seras was purely annoying, I mean FFS! Blood isn't soup! Just drink it! And Integra... (not a spoiler)
    Sorta like a reverse Envy

Angel Beats! - 10/10
    I absolutely adored this anime. It's the first non-Haruhi anime that I've found deserving of a perfect score. The comedy was hilarious; the supernatural stuff was really cool (and didn't present enough religious-type talk to piss off my atheism ;) ); not one of the characters did I find dislikeable (Yuri, Kanade, and Yui-nyan easily made it onto my favourites list); the story was amazing, and I have no idea where others are getting off with saying there was plot rushing, as I sensed none of that; I went with the sub, and the voices were so fitting, and TK's lines were hilarious; and the feels!! @blurredexistence
    Like each of the character's pre-life stories had me tearing up, and this is the second anime that's managed to make me cry (the first being the "final" ep of K-On!!). I'll spoilerise the moments that did for the sake of spoilers:
    1. When they were doing that graduation thing. Things like that always make me lose it, as was sorta the case with the last ep of Lucky Star, and especially the case with above K-On!!.
    2. When they were all getting obliterated at the end. Such touching good-byes...
    3. The most inducing one: The entire Kanade heart scene... ;_;
    Eleventy-leventy-leven out of ten would watch again!!
    But could someone help answer this one spoilering quandary I have about it?
    The story starts with Otonashi appearing there, right? And Kanade has been there since like the start, as what I got from what Yuri said? But... shouldn't Kanade have appeared after Otonashi got there? Seeing as she said she lived on with his heart??

And finally, @Crazy-Potato , I do apologise for being a copy-neko regarding having TMoHS and Angel Beats! as my favourites. XD

4. Supernatural-Knight Asylum Game Master Moderator

Ratings:
    +608 / 4 / -6
    @mafiacow, that hellsing score is a bit harsh, I didn't really like it either but it wasn't that bad as I gave it double what you did. Now what you nee to do is watch Hellsing Ultimate, it follows the manga and is very different and if you thought Alucard was "sorta cool" just wait until you see what he does in Ultimate. Seras also makes a huge improvement and become quite likeable at least in my opinion, and the enemies are so much better. Now it may be obvious from how I'm raving about it but in comparison the original hellsing was complete crap in my eyes while Ultimate was 10 worthy which I would [and have once before] watch again. If Ultimate isn't enough to change your mind nothing will, Alucard of the original series doesn't even compare to this one.

5. Batosai Manslayer

Ratings:
    +264 / 7 / -0
    That comment made me decide to watch ultimate instead of the original one. Was already thinking of doing that as i couldn't get through the original one either, but now it's decided for real.

6. BlurredExistence Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    [/quote]

@Mafiacow: You can always tell people who have real affection for this anime from the rest because they refer to Kanade by her name rather than just "Tenshi" or "Angel". = )

You've pretty much mentioned what got to me as well, altho i do believe that Iwasawa's does deserve a special mention being the first to hit hard and bring awareness to what the story's actually about.
    As well as the way that My Song's successful performance coincides with/brings about her disappearance, it hit me very hard that scene and has continued to with each rewatch.
    Also i found Otanashi's story to be the most relatable thing i've ever watched in any anime (or any western media for that matter) and as such, along side his down to earth and slightly sarcastic nature, he's probably my favourite male character in any anime ever!

Finally in answer to your spoiler quandary:
    I believe it is implied that the way that time works in that world is different to how it does in the real world. The fact that Kanade had to wait for him, i believe, is down to the time line of the world rather than having a beginning and an end is instead a circle. This suggests that Kanade did appear after him and so the reason that she had to wait so long is because she had to travel the full length of the time circle (however large it may be). This'll also explain the 3 minute Another Epilogue, which is pretty awesome for a 3 minute short.

7. Mafiacow Obsessed Over Trophies

Ratings:
    +179 / 1 / -0
    Balls. I forgot to mention how I didn't like Spice and Wolf's music as much as the first, and how I loved all the music of Angel Beats!, and there was a third thing I think my head has the just-woken-up fuzzies.
    Edit: Perhaps the third thing was how annoyed I was that Holo didn't use any of her powers in s2. Not even her truth-telling ears!

@Supernatural-Knight I literally had to force myself to get it over and done with. Not even mother-fathering Deadman Wonderland did that. I was thinking about giving it 4/10 when I was in the middle of it, but it continued to be average and boring and confusing.

@BlurredExistence I thought I had some sort of response to the spoiler, but I couldn't think from the fuzzies so I had a shower, but now my mind's a blank... I'll have to get back to you when I remember...
    Oops, adding Otonashi to the fave list completely slipped my mind. XD
    That short is on the DVD, right? If so, that's another unneeded reason for me to buy it... when I actually have money...
    And what do you think I should do about "I loled at the ending" monster when I next see him? -_-

8. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    I didn't really get the...feels...watching Angel Beats. Otanashi's little background story was the definite highlight though for me watching that show. Ending was great as well. Pretty clever with the title of the show, one of those brillient moments that made me appreciate the storytelling efforts made here.

My memory of Spice & Wolf II is a little hazy, sorry can't remember the ending well. I do remember this tidbit of information though

I think the inn keeper guy was the person that the girl was refering to in her story of being stuck in that place. You know the girl who tried to backstab Lawrence? Not an important detail though. All I remember of the ending was that they were trying to one-up the church and Holo was willing to become a sort of asset or bargining chip.

I thought the best part of season II was dealing with the value of those stones. Poor Lawrence was juggling with his emotions and the value of the stones. Of course he completely missed the clues that Holo was leaving behind :)

9. Mafiacow Obsessed Over Trophies

Ratings:
    +179 / 1 / -0
    Oh Haruhi. Did I only just now realise the meaning behind Angel Beats!'s title?
    Kanade's heart?

Edit to save double post:
    Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! - 8/10
    I really liked this one. It was funny, had a pretty good story, and some interesting characters. Though I didn't really know how to feel in the later episodes.
    I can see why Rikka won Moe-vember last year. XD But that Dekomori pissed me off. Something about her appearance, and her constant over-pronunciation of desu.

Edit to save triple:
    Softenni - 8/10
    So crazily ridiculous and random. About as much story as you'd expect from a Slice of Life cross Ecchi (probs on par with HOTD on the ecchi account). The music was good too.
    A good choice if all you want's a laugh. XD

Edit to save quadruple XD
    Mayoi Neko Overrun! - 7/10
    This one's main purrpose is to be a comedy, harem, etc, not really much story or anyathing. That being said, it was fairly enjoyable. It was funny, and I liked the music, especially the nyans in it. Nozomi was an adequate kitteh, with ears and frequent nyaning, and turned out better than I expected a character cross between neko and stoic would have been. The anime can get a little tiring at times, especially I think it was episode 7. But nyan-the-less, I could recommend it. ;)

Edit to save quintuple. This is getting ridiculous. XD
    Kokoro Connect - 8/10
    This one's quite a thinker. You gotta be in the right mood to watch it. It was very enjoyable, and you can really connect with the characters. The music was all right, but could have been a little better. Had some really good humour, and some really deep ideas to contrast it. Though, I would have very much preferred if they used the part from the first arc for longer, as I found it definitely the most interesting.

Nekomonogatari: Kuro - 9/10
    A much-needed telling of what happened with Araragi and Hanekawa during Golden week. Had the same perverted humour as always, gave some added backstory to the characters, pretty good gore, really good music as is always the case with Monogatari, and had my two favourite characters with proper roles (Hanekawa and Shinobu). Though I was a tad disappointed that Hanekawa didn't NYAHAHA!~ like she did in Bakemonogatari...

10. Mafiacow Obsessed Over Trophies

Ratings:
    +179 / 1 / -0
    Too many edits makes for ridiculousness. XD

Shakugan no Shana II - 8/10
    I liked this sequel more than I did the first series. It still had all the cool fights and magic and stuff, and didn't even forget to keep the idea of people disappearing without a trace when they run out of Power of Existence. There were some really awesome developments in Yuji's power and abilities as the Midnight Lost Child Mystes, and the story wasn't at all shabby either. Didn't really care one way or the other about the romance. And out of pure curiosity after finishing the last episode, I put it back on dub mode (I started Shana straight to sub due to the franchise was still being continued at the time) and had a listen to what they were like, and I must say, I'm glad I went with sub. While some of the English voices were about as good as their Japanese counterparts, a lot of them were quite shocking. XD

11. Nimander God of Calamity

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Toradora

Blah blah review paragraph blah blah.

It was really good and heartwarming.

10/10 for a completely amazing slice of life.

12. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    Finished Pretear

Was pretty good actually. Had all kinds of cheesy dialogue about love and all that jazz. Can't really fault the anime on that though.

Got a little teary eyed at the end there. I'm such a sucker for the kind of endings like this one. Slight ending spoil here

Happy Disney endings with everyone winning no matter how bad things get

Can't shake the feeling that this anime had no intention of getting a guy to watch it. Oh well no big deal I guess.

Just one thing though. Those monster designs... for a magical girl anime those monsters were rather... no let's not go there on my imagination ;)

7 out of 10. Easy rating here and worth the little effort (just 13 episodes)

13. Mafiacow Obsessed Over Trophies

Ratings:
    +179 / 1 / -0
    Love Live! School Idol Project - 8/10
    Had quite a K-On! sorta feel to it, except they were genuinely motivated to do their thing here. Was funny, but a bit cliché at times, though a good Slice of Life anime nonetheless. Had some quite good music, which I must find somewhere to download the OST from...
    This is probably the first anime I've seen that's actually consistently shown fingernails and lips normally like that. And on the topic of visuals, I've gotta say that I was for some reason a little annoyed by the 3D models they used in the dance scenes, though I don't quite know why.
    Started it cause of seeing that Niconiconi loop vid, and I was not disappointed with her character. She was hilarious! XD
    There was a girl who sometimes nyan'd, but I found her a little annoying otherwise. Also found the tarot card girl annoying for some reason. And the girl with the glasses kinda lost all noticability when she switched to contacts.

14. Sir-Maddy Finger Lickin' Good™

Ratings:
    +260 / 0 / -1
    Humanity has declined

*insert why I think it's amazing here*

10/10

15. Mafiacow Obsessed Over Trophies

Ratings:
    +179 / 1 / -0
    Haganai. I Don't Have Many Friends - 9/10
    A really good Slice of Life anime, filled with brilliant humour. Had really varied and hilarious characters, a few anime references, loved both the OP and ED, and I was losing it with the coincidence between Kodaka and I. Very much looking forward to seeing the next season.
    The following is my coincidence story, and contains a fairly big spoiler.
    So, I have blonde(ish) hair. One of my parents was from England. I have a long-lost female best friend from ten years ago who was a tomboy. She found me (sorta) recently, after I moved out of town those ten years ago, but I didn't recognise her at first cause she was using a different name to what I knew her as. Sound familiar?

16. Batosai Manslayer

Ratings:
    +264 / 7 / -0
    Baccano! - 2/10

What can i say? This anime was TERRIBLE. It's ranked #45 on MAL but i have no clue whats so good about it.
    The story was ridiculous and most of the time i had no clue what was going on. It's set in the mafia world, or atleast it's suppose to be, some characters can die and some can't. They just randomly come back to live after they got killed. The story is spanned over 3 years, 1930, 1931 and 1932 and it randomly switches between these years. Sometimes it left me clueless in which year some events happen.

The characters weren't good enough either imo. The only one i kind of liked was Isaac. The blonde girl who's name i didn't even bother to catch might be the most annoying anime character i have ever seen.I watched in english dub together with a dub community i'm part of and evry single sound she made got on my nerves. Maybe it's different in the sub, but the dub is terrible with voice acting. Which also makes the characters less likable. Other than those 2, none of the characters i could get attached to.

The animation was okay. Not amazing art, but also not bad.

The music was the only thing i liked in this anime, which prevents me from giving it a 1.

Terrible anime, i am happy i'm done with it.

17. Ovyda The Phantom Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    I'm so curious about it now... :D Looks like love or hate anime.

18. Supernatural-Knight Asylum Game Master Moderator

Ratings:
    +608 / 4 / -6
    Haha thats a harsh review of Baccano there @Batosai, I can see where you are coming from but a 2 sounds a little drastic, although thats just by biased opinion. I really enjoyed all of the things you said you hated about it, and yes I watched the dub as well so I even liked the entire cast including Miria [blonde girl who's name you didn't catch], actually I have her as one of my favourites on MAL alongside Isaac those two are great. I think the thing that stood out for me was its storytelling method is so unique but it can definitely be confusing especially if you watch it at a pace of 3-4 eps a week, I watched it all in a day or two. Although I'm sorry to bear some bad new for you but it isn't quite over yet, there are 3 specials to go still which introduces the character Graham Specter.
    So yes Ovyda it is a kind of love or hate anime, I really do wonder how you would find it.

@doomguy I think it was you that wanted me to give my opinion of Initial D right?
    Initial D first stage 8/10
    After a slow start and what initially seemed to be boring characters with dated animation this anime surprised me. It took 3 eps to even get into the premise of the show being racing cars, and the MC is that dull that watching his daily life was boring. However once the first race starts it begins to get better, The MC stoops being so dull and instead seems replaced by a calm bad arse. Going into this show I had a few doubts over how he will progress and whether or not anything would really change between the races, after 26 episodes I don't think I've been more relieved to be wrong in a while.

The music is oddly great, while it seems to be completely different than the tone of the show at first, after listening to the themes and insert songs that many times they do start to grow on you. Bato said it best via PM, it is very reminiscent of the 90's which by no means is a bad thing.
    The dated animation slowly grew on me as well, the characters were kind of awkward in parts especially the females in the OP and some of the exaggerated faces. But after a while it felt more like a charm to this show unique for being made in the late 90's when compared to some of the smoother animated series from the same time.
    Really it is just another unusual series for me that I shouldn't like that much but for some reason did, and when I found myself searching its OP theme I realised just how much I liked this show. Good choice Bato.

Gintama' 10/10
    Just as funny as the first season despite being significantly smaller, and that first serious arc was absolutely amazing 10/10 for that alone. The you throw in Jugem Jugem and the episodes with the Shogun and you suddenly find yourself wishing you could rate it higher.
    Unfortunately the final serious arc with the mimawarigumi was mostly crap, that is until its final ep, which was great just not amazing. I hated that fat rapper guy, talk about a mood killer when he was getting some serious screen time, even if he was needed for that fight I don't care he still got too much screen time.

What else could be said, simply brilliant, there is nothing else to say now.

19. M-theoria Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    @batosai I agree with Supernatural Knight on this one, you're the first person I've ever seen give it a negative review. I myself didn't think it quite lived up to the hype surrounding but thought it was still a solid 7/10. Ah well, just differing opinions i suppose.

20. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    Good memory @supernatural-knight. I have some interest watching that one. Old age stuff never concerns me.

Interesting to hear opinions on Baccano. To be honest I never actually heard anything about the show, only that it's considered a top one on MAL.

I will still check it though, maybe I'll have more success on it then you guys. More then Bato anyway, poor Bato got crushed by it :)

Not now though I need to clean up my to-watch list.