Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Rate The Latest Anime Series You Have Finished

Discussion in 'Anime & Manga Chat' started by Ovyda, May 8, 2013.

1. BlurredExistence Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    @Ben-B.: Top notch review there Ben, you've totally put that anime on my plan to watch list.

2. Batosai Manslayer

Ratings:
    +264 / 7 / -0
    *Lelouch aims his eyes on Bato*
    Lelouch: You shall now rate Code Geass!
    Bato: Yes. Your majesty!

Code Geass - 9.5

What i liked about this anime was the plot twists, the strategy's, the characters and that they weren't afraid to kill off important characters, and man there were many deaths. The story was great and the ending was perfect.

What i disliked was the mecha part. I rly hate seeing 2 robots fighting and when 1 gets defeated, the person riding it might still be unharmed. I also didn't like how they were getting closer and closer to ecchi. This doesn't fit at all in Code Geass.

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion - 9.0

Geass. The power to control other people's minds just by looking at them. It's a great power and a terrifying power at the same time. This anime is all about manipulation, strategy's, kings and playing with life and death. What i liked so much about the first season is that the pace was really relaxed when outside a battle. Sometimes they even threw in a funny highschool episode. And it all seemed to fit in really well, despite this being a very serious battle anime.

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2 - 10.0 *MIGHT CONTAIN SPOILERS*

The start of season 2 was very confusing. It didn't really continue where it left off, while season 1 ended with a cliffhanger. Despite that, near the end of the first episode, they got back on track and evrything made sense. This season overall was kinda boring compared to the first season. The reason for that was that the battles were getting kind of lame, probably because i'm no mecha fan. And they focussed more on Karen's boobs than on her personality (untill the final few episodes that is). But the tension remained and Lelouch got closer and closer to his goal. In the final 7-8 episodes, 1 plot twist after another happened and i couldn't predict any of them. This is what makes Code Geass so great. I was determined to give this season a 9 aswell like season 1, but that ending... The final episode was so perfect. Just when i started hating Lelouch............ plot twist! The ending was so perfect and a great anime like Code Geass deserves such an ending. I'm glad they pulled it off so well.

3. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    @m-theoria I'm glad you liked Spice and Wolf. The interactions between Holo and Lawrence is the selling point of the entire anime and I don't think I have ever seen such a well told, smart, wity, and endearing story between the two. They really need another season, so much untapped potential here. Of course I just want more Holo too!

@Blurredexistence I'm surprised you haven't seen this one. Since I know you seen Legend of Galactic Heroes I can say with confidence that the dialogue that made the Galactic Heroes interesting exists in Spice and Wolf. However instead of a lot of politics, expect a lot of talk about money and how to make a profit. Also the interactions between Holo and Lawrence sometimes interferes with the logical need of making money and personal feelings. Great stuff!

@Batosai me and you think alike. I too felt that the second season had a little extra going for it over the first season. Part of the reason was because they built up a bigger goal then simply kill the emperor. Also Lelouch became a bigger jerk in the second season and I for one liked this part of him. Then of coarse a great ending solidified my opinion of him. At the same time I liked Ogi because he seemed like the most honest guy in the whole show.

4. Batosai Manslayer

Ratings:
    +264 / 7 / -0
    @m-theoria I’m glad you liked Spice and Wolf. The interactions between Holo and Lawrence is the selling point of the entire anime and I don’t think I have ever seen such a well told, smart, wity, and endearing story between the two. They really need another season, so much untapped potential here. Of course I just want more Holo too!

@Blurredexistence I’m surprised you haven’t seen this one. Since I know you seen Legend of Galactic Heroes I can say with confidence that the dialogue that made the Galactic Heroes interesting exists in Spice and Wolf. However instead of a lot of politics, expect a lot of talk about money and how to make a profit. Also the interactions between Holo and Lawrence sometimes interferes with the logical need of making money and personal feelings. Great stuff!

@Batosai me and you think alike. I too felt that the second season had a little extra going for it over the first season. Part of the reason was because they built up a bigger goal then simply kill the emperor. Also Lelouch became a bigger jerk in the second season and I for one liked this part of him. Then of coarse a great ending solidified my opinion of him. At the same time I liked Ogi because he seemed like the most honest guy in the whole show.

@Doomguy, I liked Lelouch from first season more though. At times i really felt terrible for the black knights and Ohgi. And in the end when they were all lined up while driving through the city with emporor Lelouch, i was starting to hate him. But then that ending...................................

I did like the extra stuff in season 2, but season 1 felt like it was flowing easier. But again, the ending made season 2 as great as it is.

5. Batosai Manslayer

Ratings:
    +264 / 7 / -0
    Hajime no Ippo - 10/10

Best sports anime i have ever seen and in my top 10 of all time favorites. What a great anime. Almost evrything was great about it.

The story was very good and switched from funny to serious at the perfect moments. The humour started strange and couldn't make me laugh, but after finding out the personalitys of certain characters, it became better and funnier. The matches were very intense and always a good watch. The only things i have to complain about in the matches is that commentator that really got on my nerves eventually, with saying exactly the same as what we can see happen and even distracting me from it, and the fights took just a little too long each time. But the conclusion of each fight was always great and satisfying.

The characters were all very entertaining. I can't chose who i like more between Takamura and Sendo. Sendo really grew on me after his background story and his match against Ippo. And Ippo himself is a great main character. A shy weak kid that gets bullied all the time, grows into a pro boxer. And one hell of a boxer he's become!

Before i started watching this show, i heard great reviews about it and i can easily say now that they were all true.

Now on to the episode 76 special, the 2 movies, which i think are part of the story, and season 2 and then be ready for season 3 :D

6. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    Hajime no Ippo... yeah I been planning on watching a sport like anime for a while now. Sounds like this could be a good one to get into.

So I finished Allison & Lillia. My brain tells me this was a good 7 show with some lucky plot devices obviously moving the story along. Well you know what? My heart tells me this is an 8 anyway!

The characters were very memorable and had that can do attitude that always feels refreshing to see. The innocent sense of adventure is thrilling to me especially when the protagonists get behind the control stick of an old era plane. I wish there were more episodes showcasing the planes since the action and even just the plain flying of them was great to see. The interactions between the characters is fun and underneath it all was a interesting subplot romance. The romance part of it felt very innocent like and the characters struggled to convey there feelings throughout the show. For some people that drives them crazy I can imagine. That's OK though, the characters after all were very young (15 or so, but they actually looked their age! I'm pleasantly surprised Japan) so the whole "just tell her already!" feeling was admittedly quite endearing. Come on give them a break, it's funny to see the young ones struggle with their raging feelings lol.

Now let me tell you though of something important. The anime is 26 episodes but frankly felt like two series, one being a prequel and the later the sequel taking place 20 years later. The title "Allison & Lillia" refers to two protagonist at different time eras. When I reached the transition point to the new era, let us say that the time skip was a complete disaster and frankly felt like the guys in charge of the show wanted to move on to the next character as quickly as possible. Thankfully the second half recovers a bit and it won't take long to settle in with the new cast of characters.

This is not a dark show at all. It has what I call "Disney logic". Every lucky break that can happen will happen. I found this annoying but honestly felt like the show has a charm to it because of it. This does NOT mean however that the plot is always simple to understand. Over the course of the anime, it would be split up in little arcs that tell certain stories. Most of them usually revolve around our heroes solving a crime or chasing treasures. The situations are never simple to solve (the train episodes had me guessing half the passengers were the culprits) but are joyful to watch since the character's are smart and intelligent and capable of some ingenious tricks. Of course a little luck never hurt anyone... OK a lot of luck but who cares?

One last thing the music was great. For some reason I couldn't stop listening to the OP.

So yeah I give this one a 8\10. If you seen Last Exile then this one is like it but focuses more on the characters. I give the Doomguy Seal of Approval to Allison & Lillia.

7. M-theoria Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Highschool of the Dead:

This anime was quite a surprise for me, at the start to be frank wasn't really digging it. I thought the characters were too over the top, the gratuitous amounts of unnecessary fan service, the strange and irregular pacing. However then I realised something, this anime was not trying to be the next evolution is animated storytelling, it wasn't amounting to be a profound literary experience.

It was meant to be a f***ing Michael Bay film.

Once I stopped watching this like I would watch something very detailed and intricate like Death Note or Code Geass this series was ten times more enjoyable to watch. This is the sort of anime you watch on a lazy Sunday afternoon with a mountain of doritos and just want to sit back and enjoy the experience and not think too much. It never hides what it is, you can almost tell this anime was made to be visually exciting and blatantly sexual for no reason other than the entertainment factor. It has great visuals and boobs physics that operate on some other interstellar dimensional level but that's the whole point!

Its just straight up fun and nothing more.

8/10.

8. Batosai Manslayer

Ratings:
    +264 / 7 / -0
    @Doomguy, Hajime no Ippo is indeed a great start into the sports genre. And if you're a fast watcher, you might catch season 3 while it's airing.

I'd recommend either Hajime no Ippo or Kuroko no Basket to start with.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The World God Only Knows Season 3 - 9/10

Another great season. All 3 seasons so far have been great and as someone who isn't into romance genre, this says alot about how great this series is. I can't believe another season already ended.. Hoping for a season 4, although i don't see how it can continue from here. But the manga did, so who knows :D

9. Batosai Manslayer

Ratings:
    +264 / 7 / -0
    Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi - 8/10

Wow. This was actually a very good anime. A good, fun, solid story at first and at the end a nice little twist. The animation was really nice, there were very likable characters, and yeah the story was pretty good.

10. Batosai Manslayer

Ratings:
    +264 / 7 / -0
    Shingeki no Kyojin - 9/10

''This is a world of cruelty''. That's what Mikasa said in the last episode and that is exactly what this anime is about. Mankind being pushed inside 3 little walls in a world full of monsters called titans.

The story is superb and has me very excited for the second season.

The characters are okay. Not great, not bad, their decent. Throughout this anime has been alot of talk about the main character, Eren Jaeger, i agree that there could've been a better main character, but i don't think he drags the quality of the story down.

The animation is different. It differs per person if you like it or not. I am fine with it, although i think sometimes it goes a little over the top. But i am not too bothered with the animation.

The enjoyment rate for this anime is perfect to me. Evry episode flew by and i enjoyed it to the fullest.

Can't wait for the next season!

11. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    In my view a story has two parts to it. The actual plot line and the characters.
    If one is lacking then the other needs to step it up. That's my criteria anyway. I keep hearing about the above. Not sure what to think of it, might add it to my list but it would be a very low priority

I need to write a review of Solty Rei but can't seem to come up with anything substantial other then it's the best generic anime I seen. A 9 out of 10.

12. BlurredExistence Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've really gotta stop leaving these ratings for so long before posting them up on here, it's really hard to remember my thoughts and feelings about animes i've watched over two weeks ago, oh well.

Devilman Lady/The Devil Lady (Dubbed): 6/10
    I got sucked into watching this anime by the promise of Yuri... there isn't much of it, in fact all the Yuri exists in just 4 out of the 26 episodes this anime has to offer so if you were thinking about watching it for a similar reason then my advice is not to. Another thing, i have never in my life before watching this encounter an anime where every single character's idea of love was sooo messed up! In one sense it is sort of interesting to see so many different psychotic view points on the nature of love but ultimately watching characters motivated by such positively mental notions of love is fairly frustrating as it really doesn't make sense to me as the viewer and it's impossible to relate too. Other than those two points i remember this anime starting out fairly promisingly but loosing my interest midway thru. Towards the end it does pick up a bit almost lulling you into thinking that it might wrap up fairly well but it ultimately looses it all right at the end again.

Oh and as for things like Artstyle and Voice Acting, it's pretty much what you'd expect from an anime made in the 90's.

Senki Zesshou Symphogear (Subbed): 8/10
    This anime has a good group of characters and there is some nice character development going on thruout, however, there are a lot of plot holes in both the story and the motivations for a number of the characters, and one of the major plot revelations has the potential to completely break the world they've created, so for those reasons i spent a lot of this anime feeling rather frustrated and annoyed but!: The final sequence of episodes are actually rather awesome and for that reason and for the cast being rather loveable (despite flawed) i managed to scrape together a very good level of enjoyment out of this anime overall. Still i feel someone more critical than me would rate this anime far far lower.

Senki Zesshou Symphogear G (Subbed): 6/10
    I only started watching this anime two days ago and i haven't actually finished it since episode 13 has yet to be subbed (it seems) but i feel i have a good enough grasp on this anime to rate/mini-review it now alongside it's first series (tho of course i reserve the right to edit this review in the future should episode 13 prove to be outstandingly epic and make up for all the flaws of the series). Basically this series is the same as the first but with all the flaws and none of the redeeming features. The characters are all still there and some new ones are added but character development is either next to non-existent (the whole relationship between Hibiki and Miku which was a major plus for the first series is hardly explored any further and not in any real detail at all) or so incredibly misguided and moronic that i was literary pulling my hair out and bashing myself on the head! All the plot holes that exist in the first series are back but also backed up with some new ones all of this series' own creation. I also don't get how this show, which is clearly aimed at adults with it's more mature themes and graphic scenes, thinks it can get away with pulling the same friendship and love crap that you'd only get in children's anime ("I want to stop you from having to fight cause i love you, so to do that i will fight you and try to kill you! Cause Friendship!") as well as not putting enough thought and intelligence into it's characters that their motivations, which i have no problem with being wrong or very messed up, at least make sense!? I would say it's a major let down hadn't the first series already displayed many of the warning signs.

Turn A Gundam (Subbed): 7/10
    I once read a comment from someone on here who said that "all Gundam animes are exactly the same" which is a fairly fair comment to be fair. I mean, imo between Gundam Wing and Gundam SEED there's an obvious difference in quality and enjoyment, one is brilliant and compelling while the other is frustraiting and moronic, but estientially their stories boil down to following the same plot points and pretty much doing them in the same sequence and that is essentially true of all the Gundam animes. However, when i first came upon Turn A Gundam i thought it was going to be different. I read the synopsis and thought that it was both interesting and unique for the Gundam series, and when i saw the artstyle for the first time i felt there was something the tiniest bit Ghiblish about it and so i had high hopes for this anime... yeah... it's the same. It's the same as every single Gundam anime there has ever been, and ever will be. I think it maintains it's uniqueness for a little while at the start but it does descend really quickly into all the same tropes and plot points that every Gundam anime has done before and since. And that's about all i can say about this anime. If you like the Gundam animes then you should enjoy this, and if you don't you won't. I think my rating is where it is because i enjoyed it but was also disappointed that they didn't do something different with it, and i felt they could have so easily.

Saki + Saki: Episode of Side-A + Episode of Side-A Specials (Subbed): 9/10 10/10 + 8/10 + 9/10
    I'll just throw these all together. ;) Saki is Awesome! I've watched the first series 3 or 4 times now and i never bore of it, it still manages to retain the tension brilliantly during the matches, the characters are wonderful and the implied yuri is not just very strong but also very touching, it's made me want to learn how to play Mahjong. I love it so much in fact i don't even know why i haven't rated it a 10. Episode of Side-A on the other hand suffers from some problems and it's probably down to it being a half series but it is also no doubt down to the fact that rather than having just one set of five girls as the main focus we got two. Now the series does do a good job of maintaining it's character development, several of the girls get their own episodes filling in back story as well as their special mahjong powers, but there isn't enough time for all of them so some are left out. On top of that a lot of the matches are either skipped past (the entire qualifying round is done so in fact) or speeded thru in a montage. I know they can't help it but by the time we actually get to sit down and watch some proper tension filled matches it's the final 3 or 4 episodes, and even these aren't as long or filled with as much depth as Saki's. It's for those reasons alone that i knocked Episode of Side-A down a point from the brilliant Saki, BUT, the specials if you add them too that series they both finish the character development by exploring the remaining girls AND finish the tournament with some proper Sakiesque matches and so with those in tow i'd bring the score up to 9 again.

Saki's still the best series tho... i think i'm gonna move it up to a 10/10.

Finally i just want to say something about Avatar: The Last Airbender. I watched it for the first time starting two weeks ago and it was one of the all time best viewing experiences of my life. The cast is fantastic both lovable and incredibly funny, the story, while simple, is incredibly compelling and the concept as a whole is brilliant. As for the art style, while i can see why some would think that it's comparable to anime anyone with any real experence of watching anime would be able to tell that it is still very western and the animation style itself is wholly western, there's not a hint of the Japanese style of animating in this cartoon, so while i can understand why people would want to put it into the anime category (and it could certainly stand easily alongside the top great animes) if the separation between western cartoon and Japanese anime is down to the art and animation style then i have to say it definitely doesn't belong there. Still fantastically brilliant tho.

And that's it for this rating fest, i started Attack on Titan yesterday and since it's looking like an epic anime i'll do my best to get it's rating up asap so i can hopefully write something intelligible about it.

13. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    Hmm. Nothing in particular I would want to watch. The Saki one is a maybe.
    I do remember saying that all Gundam shows play out the same way but with different politics. Then again I don't have a big opinion on the series except for 00 Gundam since the characters were interesting. Kamile though from one of the Gundams could join Shinji and jump off a bridge while on fire.

Yeah I hate those guys and make it a point to take a jab at them at all times :)

14. Ovyda The Phantom Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    Contains little obvious spoilers.

Danganronpa: The Animation 8/10
    I was waiting for this anime for more than 6 months to start airing... I must say that it did live up to my expectations. It certainly had some nice mysteries, appealing animation and the most important every single character was unique and interesting to watch. I mean both their appearance and the personality were different from other characters.
    I didn't like how predictable it was that Naegi will survive... Or how he's always the one who gets right in every single class trial... Why couldn't they make it a bit more thrilling? The blood color was definitely disappointing, but not really to make it dislike the whole show. Lastly, the ending was cheesy imo... Hope hope hope... yeah right, like that's how the world is...
    Anyway, it was still enjoyable show to watch and I am looking forward to 2nd season if they will animate it that is.

15. Ovyda The Phantom Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    Kimi no Iru Machi 7/10
    After reading manga I had some high hopes for this one. Unfortunately, it wasn't that it didn't live up, but more like made me angry by changing some important parts... The character development was just pure rubbish and their selected VA didn't really fit... I mean I expected something different.
    However, it was still enjoyable show to watch. Beautiful OP and ED and a bit unusual but appealing animation.

So hard to say something when you actually have read the manga :|

16. Ovyda The Phantom Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    Mezzo Forte 7/10
    I was recommended to watch it by @Supernatural-knight long time ago. I didn't really want to start as I saw "hentai" tag in genre section while checking it out on MAL. However, to my huge surprise, out of what 60 minutes? It had like 3minutes sex scenes and no more. Actually it was a really interesting dark themed anime with lots of violence and action.
    If you like anime where killing is common thing, then you must watch this one. Every minute someone gets killed lol

17. Supernatural-Knight Asylum Game Master Moderator

Ratings:
    +608 / 4 / -6
    @ovyda, I had no idea you even remembered that OVA series. I wouldn't of had any trouble believing you had forgotten about it since it was that many months ago that I did recommend it. I'm glad you liked it and rated it the same as I did, sure it isn't the best thing around but it is definitely worth the watch that is if you don't mind some sex scenes in between the rest of the dark themes it has, so I agree with Ovyda telling everyone else to check it out.
    Although you didn't want to start a H.......... Everyone reading this it is more like a hollywood action movie where a sex scene is randomly inserted between other significant events.

18. Batosai Manslayer

Ratings:
    +264 / 7 / -0
    Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger - 10/10

Another 26 episodes of greatness. This season had 2 world title matches, an Oriental and Pacific Boxing Federation (OPBF) title match, the gym's newest addition's debut and second match and Ippo fought 2 great matches himself.

In other words, plenty of action. Also the same old Hajime no Ippo humour and the story just continued where the movies left it at.

Now on to the first episode of season 3! Finally caught up!

19. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    Bato must be having the time of his life watching that show! He can't stop talking about it! (Not that we don't want you to either :))

20. Batosai Manslayer

Ratings:
    +264 / 7 / -0
    I really am :D It's so awesome. Now i can only watch it weekly though :(