Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

New Video Game law passed (Interview with the guy who made it inside)

Discussion in 'Video Game News' started by Heizengard, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Heizengard AKA Cernel Joson

Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    It was announced today that all new games would have to go through Tumblr and Twitter to make sure that they are diverse enough before going out to the market. This bill was spear headed by Tropes VS Women Producer and Co-writer, Jonathan McIntosh and backed by Intel, a company that is partnered with McIntosh. McIntosh, known for his 'pop culture hacking' and Twitter posts, had stated that “this was a giant step for diversity and feminism everywhere”. I recently got to sit down and interview him about this bill.

Interviewer: Thank you for agreeing to this interview, Mr. McIntosh. Now let's get right to the point. What made you decide to make this bill in the first place?

Jonathan McIntosh: Well I think it's very easy to tell. I made this to help give minorities and women a voice. Now some people would think that there are better ways to go about this, but I feel that the entertainment industry has been holding us down now for a while, and we've been very silent about it until now. With this new law, any developer, be it American or foreign, will be required by law to pass they're game through me and my team. If they can't do that or we find a problem with it then the game cannot be published here. It's as simple as that.

I: Now that the bill has passed, what kind of measures are you taking?

JM: Well as of right now my team is currently taking down any kind of game on Steam that I feel is not diverse enough. So far every thing except for Borderlands, Fez, Depression Quest and anything made by Tim Shaffer are offline.

I: Fez and Depression Quest? How do those games fit the category?

JM: Well they don't really fit it. Fez is still up because of how fearless Phil Fish was in defending Zoe Quinn and attacking anyone that he thought was attacking said, defenseless person. And Depression Quest was made by Zoe Quinn, the most diverse person I know, other then myself.

I: Fair enough I guess, but I'm kind of seeing a few holes in this bill.

JM: Oh do you now? Tell me what they are and I'll tell you how you're only seeing things.

I: Well the first thing is, what classifies a game as being not diverse?

JM: Well that's simple really. Anything that's not Borderlands. If more then half of the cast is not gay, lesbian, bisexual, pansexual, transexual or of any kind of race that's not Caucasian, then anyone who isn't a cisgendered white male or a jew will feel ostracized as soon as they pick up a controller and turn the game on.

I: Well you certainly filled that hole up.

JM: What do you mean by that? Is this a sexist, dirty joke that you are trying to make here?

I: What? No, no, no not at all! I had said that I saw some holes in your bill and you said you were going to clear them up, hence the filling.

JM: ...right, sure okay. Next question Mr. Interviewer.

I: Right. So. You had stated that you were silent about this subject for the longest time, but a quick look on your Twitter account, yours and the ones of your team, clearly show that you were anything BUT silent. I think you actually posted MORE about diversity and feminism then anything else.

JM: And that WAS, by literal definition, being silent. The only noise that was being generated was the angry sound of my typing as I posted about why can't everyone be me. Alright, fixed that one. Next question.

I: -sighing- Okay, previously you had said that 'anyone who isn't a cisgendered white male or a jew will feel ostracized as soon as they pick up a controller and turn the game on'. How do jews fit into that?

JM: How do they NOT. I mean, everyone knows that the jews are whats wrong with America and are what's stopping diversity. I could go on for hours about why I feel this way, but then this article would be too long. Anyway, hole fixed. Next question.

I: That actually doesn't answer anything but okay. Continuing on with what I just stated, aren't you a straight white male?

JM: I'm sorry?

I: I'm asking if you are a straight white male.

JM: I am, but I don't see what this has to do with anything.

I: Well since you are, why does this make you a good choice for leading this team. You aren't a person of color. You aren't gay or bisexual or anything like that and you aren't a woman. Why does this make you the good choice for this?

JM: ...uh well, you see... um...

I: Go on Mr. McIntosh, I'm listening.

JM: ...I knew it! I knew you were against me from the start! As soon as you made that dirty, nasty joke about filling holes that you were nothing but a misogynistic, straight white male scum!

I: Mr. McIntosh, please calm down, I'm just trying to interview you.

JM: LIES! You are trying to attack me, an innocent person who doesn't mean harm to anyone who isn't gay, lesbian, bisexual, pansexual, transexual or of any race that's not Caucasian or Jewish! You had it out for me from the start! I have never felt so vulnerable and attacked in my life...

I: Mr. McIntosh, Please calm yourself and stop crying. It's unseemly Just please sit down and lets continue the interview.

JM: Interview!? I think you mean ATTACK! All you did this entire time was attack me! I was clearly a target here!

I: Like with your pop culture hacking? How you take someones video, a video that you don't agree with, and turn it into an attack on that person?

JM: I DON'T HAVE TO TAKE THIS! I'm going home to my girlfriend! The interview is over!

And that's when Jonathan McIntosh stormed out of the room, tears falling from his cheeks, and headed home.

The original post has since been deleted.

2. Sir-Maddy Finger Lickin' Good™

Ratings:
    +260 / 0 / -1
    This boils my blood. How could we the SJW's win for video games. Tumblr is rape culture so every game will be barred because there are men in it.

I am actually pretty 10/10 buttmad right now.

3. VeritasOdiumParit Cult of Personality

Ratings:
    +144 / 0 / -0
    This is so obviously an April Fool's post xD

4. Sir-Maddy Finger Lickin' Good™

Ratings:
    +260 / 0 / -1
    It's hard to tell what's real and what's not during April Fools.

5. VeritasOdiumParit Cult of Personality

Ratings:
    +144 / 0 / -0
    Poor @Sir-Maddy As soon as I started reading the bit about using social media I scrolled down to the end to read the last bit of the interview and saw the bit where he gets angry and leaves. Plus, the little note at the bottom that says the post has been deleted xD Plus, this was posted on 1st April :p

6. Sir-Maddy Finger Lickin' Good™

Ratings:
    +260 / 0 / -1
    I still hate it. I thought the SJWs won.

7. ShadowLinks Hero of Time

Ratings:
    +57 / 1 / -0
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  8. Nimander God of Calamity

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    I was pissed reading this. I'm glad this was an april fools joke. Damn SJWs

• Like Like x 1
  9. Heizengard AKA Cernel Joson

Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    You were pissed reading it? Imagine how I felt writing it. I had to look this asshat up and try to think like an anti-Semitic, terrorist sympathizing, intel money guzzling trustfund baby.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sir-Maddy Finger Lickin' Good™

Ratings:
    +260 / 0 / -1
    How do you all feel knowing that we will soon live in an SJW controlled world?

11. BaconMan8910 Blue Bomber

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    I feel that SJW is a stupid term and draws lines in the sand that need not be drawn as they only serve to create opposing sides which have no real interest at delving into and dealing with issues plaguing the medium of video games.

Btw, skip to the last paragraph if you don't want to read all of this and just want to hear the summation of my point.

As "gamers" we have to realize and understand that video games are our medium and they are, of course, works of art, engineering, etc. They can be used to explore deep subjects just as well as movies, television, painting, sculpting, etc. In truth, video games are equipped to handle the same issues in an entirely new way. It really is the first truly interactive medium of artistic expression. But it can also just be something simple with no real purpose, just created for fun.

There is an issue with representation of women and minorities in video games. There's an issue with how the video game industry views its audience and markets their products. Because video games are our medium, because we want others to treat it as a respectable platform, its our job, first and foremost, to stare down these issues and deal with them rather than writing them off. Writing someone off as an "SJW" solves nothing and only creates further tension. To be sure, there are extremists on all sides of any issue (not just video games), but that doesn't make anyone who expresses some views which also happen to be held by those extremists or advocates something which said extremist claims to advocate for does not make that person, themselves, an extremist.

I'm not really familiar with Tropes VS Women, though I have heard of it. Instead, I'll use another person as an example of what people submit as being an "SJW". Anita Sarkeesian, or Feminist Frequency. If you're not familiar, Anita is a huge advocate for women's rights and, more explicitly, thoughtful portrayal of women in video games. Without going too deep into this, Anita hosts a show on YouTube called "Feminist Frequency" which examines women's roles in video games, how the industry handles the market and female consumers, and the portrayal of women in society. She is regularly shouted down as being an "SJW", accused of "over thinking" certain issues in gaming, or just being a filthy, filthy leftist. Here's the issue: Because some people make take issue with some of the points she makes, they write her off as an "SJW" and assume that she must not have any valid points to make. Why? This seems to defy logic and reason. Is Anita right about everything? No. Do I agree with everything she has to say? No. But is she worth writing off? Of course not. Why? Because, even if you do not agree with what she has to say, she does bring up important issues and she does force us, the gaming community, to confront ourselves, this industry, and our medium and really think about these issues. If we merely draw a line in the sand and turn a blind eye, no progress will ever be made. Our games will always be just that, games. Nothing more. Mere children's toys for an audience that would rather not think about it or advocate for responsibility.

So here's my point, in summation: It helps no one and only hurts all of us to write people off as "SJWs" or whatever else you would like to term someone who holds an opposing view. It's important to keep an open mind and realize that not everyone on the other side or even everyone that you consistently disagree with is the "Ted Cruz of gaming". It's important to remember that the issues of representation and equality are real, and while you don't have to follow one prescribed solution, we do have a responsibility to listen, to challenge ourselves and our viewpoints, and to consider possible solutions and the issues presented by others, rather than writing them off.

This seems more like a Hall of Elders post. =P

Although, I concede, such a law would be sillynanners. lol (It's a word. >_>)

#11 BaconMan8910, Apr 22, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  12. Sir-Maddy Finger Lickin' Good™

Ratings:
    +260 / 0 / -1
    Can you put a TL;DR note there?

13. BaconMan8910 Blue Bomber

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    Done. =P

14. Sir-Maddy Finger Lickin' Good™

Ratings:
    +260 / 0 / -1
    Many thanks.

15. Heizengard AKA Cernel Joson

Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    Don't say sad things like that.

16. Sir-Maddy Finger Lickin' Good™

Ratings:
    +260 / 0 / -1
    Sadly it will be true.

17. Wilhelm-von-HU Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    sorry twines games are not real games and never go fullMcIntosh.

i dont hate women, women hate me.

this is why people hate sjws like do you think people are going to respect you when you do shit like this no sorry no.

like i get harrested online all the time heres the magical thing just block the person like that option is there for a reason.

i treat people the same i dont care what your reace,gender,creed,or sexual orention if youre a dick youre a fucking dick you dont get specal treatment from me just because youre a boy or a girl

im sorry for ranting but why should i be called privileged because im white. isnt the one calling others privileged.

now im done with my rant.

18. Wilhelm-von-HU Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    damn it before and one says anything i spelled race wrong

19. Heizengard AKA Cernel Joson

Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  20. Wilhelm-von-HU Trophy Hunter

Ratings: