Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Music Club Welcome

Discussion in 'SOS Brigade (Clubs)' started by Roy-Blue, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Roy-Blue Trophy Hunter Chat Moderator

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    You might have wanted to put those in spoilers, friend. It takes up less space that way and also allows for the others to work. Also, great video game selections there, White, I love all of those series too. But I can't say I enjoyed those English covers you posted.... I just don't like the singers, I suppose. I'm usually not apposed to listening to the English versions of songs, but I can't stand it when it's done by amateurs, especially when the original singer was so great. Not that that singer was particularly bad, just not comparable to the original. That's why I was glad that Bonnie Pink could sing her opening in English:

I was so much better than them ripping the vocals from their other openings like they have been. Or that unforgivable mess they did to Symphonia (both, actually).

I really should make my profile, I keep forgetting. But exhausted from the other threads. Hopefully I can make tomorrow, and then I'll add some threads after.

2. Whitefang19 Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Ring A Bell was released in English first before being re-released in Japanese.

3. Roy-Blue Trophy Hunter Chat Moderator

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Indeed it was. I'd still say it was one of my favorite opening to those games, though. Still below Starry Heavens and Three-Legged Race. I mean, you can't beat that:

4. Roy-Blue Trophy Hunter Chat Moderator

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    I guess it's time for me to finally give you guys my own Music Profile:

Believe it or not, I went to a very prestigious middle school for my area and it was not exactly easy to get into. But of all the classes that were highly regarded, none more than the Band and Orchestra. Both instructors were highly decorated and ferociously competitive of the other. So with unrealistically high standards, they barred the normal riffraff student body (which was pretty superior to normal standards) with a semi-advanced music theory test. But to sell a much longer story short, I passed with a perfect score (they basically told me I could play any instrument I wanted). I chose to side the the Band class, but my instrument after that sort of varied. So I won't say I can pick up any instrument today and play a tune, but I've at least practiced with just about every one we had.

But I had chosen to play the flute, since people found it hard to make a sound out of and therefore not many people played it (plus I wanted to get with one of the older flute players that was forced to teach me to play it). But that is probably the instrument I can play the best today, since I stuck with it all the way until high school. Unfortunately I didn't care too much for Marching Band, so there I traded up (after one year of marching) for Music Theory class and one year of each of Music Appreciation and Keyboard (which was far too little time for me to learn hardly anything). They were all fun classes, I learned a lot, and my love for classical music really grew in those days.

But I think all of those classes and schooling really hurt my love for music in general, rather than help it. These days it physically pains me to hear an off note or even "unorthodox" music. I even got kicked out of my high school Chorus room (twice) for "insulting" a singer. I might come off as a harsh critic at times, but I really do love music. It has always driven my passions throughout my life and I would honestly be lost without it. So if I come off as an "ass" or "obnoxious" or a "hater" even, know I do it out of love for music.

Anyways, before it gets too wordy (and I know it has), I will share what I'm into these days. You see, I like to describe my current taste as "Foreign Music". And I don't hate American music, but I've been growing tired of it over the years. I've really been yearning for something "new" lately. I just want that new sound. So I've actually been listening to music all around the globe, and I've been picking some favorites. Of course, I like a lot of Japanese music myself, but even they start to sound like American music sometimes. But the current band I've been interested in is a newer "Electro Swing" group that has been blowing up the scene in Europe called Caravan Palace:

I've also been quite the fan of the Vocaloids for their infinite potential:

5. Core Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +488 / 0 / -0
    I think I know what you mean.
    Only instead of getting a criticle appreciation for music, I got a hate for it. Since the school did church based songs only, so they could be sung at the church it belonged to, I ended up getting tired of it. When I was in elementary school, I got drafted into the Kenya music band for one of the services. I can't even understand my native language! Let alone something African. Anyway, got tired of hearing the church music, and what singers people liked at church (Marvin Sapp, J.Moss, etc.).

After I stopped going to that church and its school, I decided to open my music interest up to other things. Since being in the church got me tired of the words, I directed my interests to the sound instead. Simply put, I want to hear something good, not something that is said. Words are fine, but it just depends on how it is done. If the singer wanted to sing and not bother using their voice as an instrument, just something to say what they want for fame, I have little to no tolerance. Hence why some pop singers, rappers, and hip hop singers I despise.
    Thus I hold a critical view towards music.

In short, it seems the exposure we have gotten from the way music was done did something to us, in similar, yet opposite, ways.

6. VeritasOdiumParit Cult of Personality

Ratings:
    +144 / 0 / -0
    I would say my favourite genres of music would have to be: Extreme Metal, Folk Metal, Melodic Death Metal, Black Metal, Punk Rock and Hard Rock. I do listen to pretty much anything that grabs my interest as well, so I will listen to other genres of music if anyone has any recommendations. Pretty much anything from Hip-Hop, Rap, Electronica, Classical, Video Game and Anime soundtracks. So here is a random sample of songs that I really enjoy listening to:
    All in one spoiler.

Also, I take it @Nonononoki 's music club didn't work out in the end? That's what happens when you limit it to just musicians.. :p

7. Roy-Blue Trophy Hunter Chat Moderator

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    @VeritasOdiumParit I believe Lince told me about another music club that went under, when I was asking about mine. Which also reminds me that I need to ask Lince to make some more badges (I knew I was forgetting something).

But those are some interesting tastes. I know I could never listen to the "harder" music, myself. I can't handle music that gets too loud, and when voices get too strained I lose interest. Though, your views will be an excellent addition and a interesting variation to the group. Welcome aboard.

8. Core Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +488 / 0 / -0
    Ever feel like you said one post too many after saying the first sentence? That's how i feel right now.

9. Vladnyx Everyone is the main character of their own life.

Ratings:
    +609 / 0 / -0
    Greetings everyone!
    What kind of music do you like?
    What are some of your favorite artists/bands?
    Have you taken any music classes (either for an instrument or Music Theory/History, etc.)?
    What do you like the most out of a song (the beat, the melody, or the vocals)?
    What has music inspired you to do (if anything)?

The music I like to listen to a large majority of the time is Alternative Rock, Metal, Modern Rock, Indie, Dubstep, Trance, Techno, New Age, Pop, and I think that's it.
    As for favorite artist/bands I honestly don't feel I have any. I listen to just to much to narrow things down.. When you have over 20,000 songs in your Itunes you come to realize you listen to a lot. Just hit shuffle and play everyday.
    Iv'e never taken any music classes. I tried to learn how to play drums a number of years ago due to some friends, but I never stuck with it. It wasn't for me.
    What I'd have to say I like the most out of a song is the beat & melody.
    Has music inspired me to do anything? I'm going to have to say it hasn't.

10. Roy-Blue Trophy Hunter Chat Moderator

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Haha, everyone is clinging to the format as if their life depends on it. But at least that means it's serving a purpose. A lovely introduction, but I think we might have done better with a few examples, no?

And the questions were more like a guideline, really, you didn't have to take the questions too seriously, or address the ones you didn't have answers for. So, let me ask them in a different way:

When I ask "What are some of your favorite artists/bands?" I mean, "What are some of the things you're listening to now?" or "What are some artists/bands that stick out to you?". And you don't necessarily have to "marry" a specific choice. There's no commitment I'm really looking for, I was just looking for examples to better understand what you're into. Music is more of a "mood", so of course opinions can sway very easily and fairly consistently, so you don't have to lock in an answer and you can be as random as you like. For instance: I've been in to more upbeat music lately, and I find myself replaying the same videos over and over again on Youtube.

I usually don't go for MEPs, but I feel addicted...

And music doesn't have to inspire you to paint masterpieces or write Shakespeare, it can be pretty much anything. Like I usually play it when I have to clean my house, because I procrastinate most of it to one day out of the week(/month for some). It gets me in the mood to clean, when I'm otherwise not, haha. I also play music when I really need to sleep but can't (because of stress and/or something on my mind that I can't stop thinking of), so I guess you can say it inspires me to sleep.

I know everyone's tense to make new friends, but you guys can relax here. We're all anime fans on these forums, and further we're music fans in this club. Further still, we're all pretty new here, so there's no reason to be so stiff. This thread is to get to know you, so you don't have to please everyone with the answers you think they want to hear. Just be as much "you" as you can and the rest of us can do the same. Because, at least for this thread, there are no rules. So feel free to have as much fun as you want.

And we all came here to listen to some music, so let's hear some.

11. celtic Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hi, the music I'm listening alot of now is from some of the older country singers like George Strait, Johnny Cash, and John Anderson but I'll listen to just about anything except rap never could get into it. I never did learn to play an instrument might one day but probably never will :p . As far as inspiring me I use it to help stop me from slacking while I work and I know I wouldn't work out if not for the aggressive beat and melody in my ear. So yeah like I said I'll listen to just about anything so if you got any recommendations doesn't really matter the genre send them my way and I'll give them a listen.

#31 celtic, Jun 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  12. Roy-Blue Trophy Hunter Chat Moderator

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Haha, I wish there was more to see here, but we're still a newer group so it might be a while. Welcome aboard all the same, and feel free to make yourself comfortable here. Always fun to welcome in another chronic slacker like myself. I might not be able to recommend country music, however. I could never get into it (ironic, no?). Haha, but if you can think of anything else I might be able to help you out.

13. nagato Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I really don't have a fav genre i technically like anything from heavy metal to classical

but if I have to pick my favorite bands
    Breaking Benjamin
    Linkin Park
    Simple Plan
    Kiss
    Casting Crowns
    ashes remain

singers I like
    Ozzy Osbourne
    Michael Jackson

I tend to like anime themes a lot as matter fact it's only one or two that I really don't like out of the hundred or so animes that I've seen

I have a saying that I tell everybody that can't comprehend why I like a certain song because it's written by them or him or her

Hate the artist not the song
    I tend to really hate a lot of artists but sometimes they have just one or two songs that I just love doesn't mean that I like the artist I just like that song they sing

I hope we all get along

14. jmriz Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    Do you listen to Dwight Yoakam? He is a great Country singer who was at the height of his career in the 80's and 90's. He has a unique voice and a great personality*!!!

* I know this because I met him!!!!! :D :D
    Here are some of his best songs!!

#34 jmriz, Jun 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  15. celtic Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    nice to see another yoakam fan on here. Great list he has so many good songs if I was going to pick one to add to it would probably be one of these

#35 celtic, Jun 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  16. jmriz Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    Have you heard his "Dwight Sings Buck" compilation album? He does a great job covering the great Buck Owens!!!!! You should check it out!!!

17. celtic Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    No haven't listened to it yet I'll check it out

18. jmriz Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    What other types of music do you like so I can give some recommendations?

19. BaconMan8910 Blue Bomber

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    *Joins club.*

Is this club new? If not, I'm just now noticing it.

1) I enjoy a variety of artists and genres. Though, I suppose most of my favorites fall under punk rock, alternative, or metal.
    2) My favorite artists are: Rise Against, Snow Patrol, Against Me!, and Asian Kung-Fu Generation.
    3) I have. I took band all throughout middle school and for a year or so in high school.
    4) I don't know. I guess it depends on the song.
    5) Well, music has inspired me to play music. Although, I've kind of slowed down on that quite a bit, these days. I guess it also inspires my creative writing. I once made an entire D&D quest based on the song "Home by the Sea" by Genesis.

When I was a teenager, I was obsessed with music. I think I used to feel that music was integral to my identity and sense of self-worth. I used to think that it was music that defined who I am. But, these days, I feel that it's who I am that dictates the kind of music that I enjoy. I guess that's why I played so many instruments in high school and why it doesn't interest me nearly as much, anymore.

That's not to say that I don't find music influential or inspirational. I do. Rather, I listen to music because I enjoy it or because the songs speak to me. Not because I feel that they fit into some grander theme of a self-fabricated identity.

One of my favorite bands is Rise Against. I love them not only because of their sound, which I enjoy, but because I feel that they have a firm grasp on the problems plaguing the American political system and our society, and their music reflects that. They eloquently tackle issues that affect myself and my fellows in under four minutes. That speaks to me. I also listen to Snow Patrol, because I find their music relaxing. And sometimes I rock out to Phil Collins just for the giggles.

I guess all of this is to say that music isn't my entire life, like it once was. But it is still an important part of my life, just like all of my other hobbies. I enjoy it and I wouldn't want to be without it.

Instruments that I play(ed):
    1) Trumpet
    2) Trombone
    3) Piano
    4) Guitar

Favorite song (at the moment):

Cheers, all. :3

20. Zeenjayli The Breakfast Club Chat Moderator

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

Hai, nice to meet all you music lovers.

What kind of music do you like? I love EDM, Japanese music, Vocaloid's, Alternative and Industrial
    What are some of your favorite artists/bands? And One, Rammstien, Our Lady Peace, Hatsune Miku,
    Radiohead and many more
    Have you taken any music classes (either for an instrument or Music Theory/History, etc.)? just school and lite gita
    What do you like the most out of a song (the beat, the melody, or the vocals)? vocals and beat
    What has music inspired you to do (if anything)? Cry.