Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Music Club Welcome

Discussion in 'SOS Brigade (Clubs)' started by Roy-Blue, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Roy-Blue Trophy Hunter Chat Moderator

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    It may be hard for some people to just jump into these sort of things, so I thought this might be a good place to start. We have a welcome page on the forums to help with this sort of thing, so why not here as well. You don't have to do anything too fancy, just a nice introduction more specific to our Music Club. For instance:

What kind of music do you like?
    What are some of your favorite artists/bands?
    Have you taken any music classes (either for an instrument or Music Theory/History, etc.)?
    What do you like the most out of a song (the beat, the melody, or the vocals)?
    What has music inspired you to do (if anything)?

Inquiring minds want to know, and it will help people see common interests and become better acquainted. This allows for easier transition into other threads (once the number gets there) and help establish where you might feel most comfortable here. But I also hope that we can all be friends, despite our no-doubt various taste in music.

I'd also like to use this page to display the rules, if I have your attention (and enough space here). Of course, we already have our own general forum rules, but I'd also like to add a few more to make certain everyone is on the same page:

1. Music is an art form, and we will not berate other people's views no matter our own opinions.
    2. If you'd like to dispute polar views on subject of music, you may do so in a constructive manor.
    3. Feel free to make and use threads for such debates and discussions.
    4. Always try to help struggling or lost members fit in and frequent this page to help pick them up.

Be respectful and ever open-minded. And with a little support, I think we can turn this club into a thriving community, and pump some music into the bloodline of these forums.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Kaede Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +450 / 0 / -0
    Hewoo everyone! Some of you already know a little of my music tastes but anyway.

I like the heavy metal/rock genre or what people call 'goth' music...both Japanese and English.
    Buck Tick and One Ok Rock are ny favorite Japanese bands and System of a down and Evanescence are my favorite English bands.

My opinion on a good song would consist of the instrumental which I like to try and play. Although lyrics make up the storyline of the song, I believe they are just words alone. The instrumental part enhances the meaning, especially since subconsciously, the human mind process the type of sounds they hear to determine a mood. However, together, the song can have many influences or even eye openers.

3. Crazy Potato Designer

Ratings:
    +207 / 0 / -0
    AWWWWW YEEEAAAHHH, MUSIC CLUB!
    I feel right at home.
    The type of music I listen to are in no order...
    1. Deep,Tropical,Electric,Melodic House
    2. Heavy Metal & Rock (AC/DC, Blue Öyster Cult, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Pink Floyd, CCR, Canned Heat list goes on...)
    3. A bit of country (mainly Johnny cash...)
    4. Chillstep, Hardstyle, Electrostep etc.
    5. Classical Piano
    6. K/C/J Pop/Rock/Heavy Metal
    I love club, party, upbeat, semi fast songs they get me going! I listen to Chillstep, Tropical, or Melodic House when I want to read and while walking /traveling anything goes from Heavy Metal all the way down the line to Chillstep. lol
    I'm always seen with headphones no exceptions, if I'm without headphones I'll go far from Crazy. Music keeps me going! I mean if anyone remembers my old avatars they'll know... haha
    I play a bit of Piano and Guitar.

#3 Crazy Potato, Jun 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  4. jmriz Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    Hi, as you may have seen, I posted an Off Topic thread entitled Who Are Your Favorite Singers and listed my favorite Singers, so i will give a rough list of them on this post:

Favorite Genres: Pop Rock(Oldies), Rock, R&B(from 50's,60's, and 70's), Classical.

USA: Billy Joel, Simon and Garfunkel, Journey, The Platters.
    UK: Elton John, U2, Queen, Phil Collins.
    Jap: Mr. Children, B'z, Chage and ASKA, Masaharu Fukuyama.

I love singing and have been in professional and church choirs since the age of 8. I am a tenor and love to sing songs by The Platters, Bobby Darin, Billy Joel, and Simon and Garfunkel. I am looking for someone who is good at writing songs as I want to record at some point. I also like singing songs by Masaharu Fukuyama in Japanese as I am learning the language and am fairly good at pronunciation.

I will post some videos and/or audios of my singing at some point.

Please pray for me, I am doing a singing competition through 4-H and have advanced to the State level for the second year in a row and if I get first place, I will be performing in front of about 5,000 people!!!! I really want to win State this year and think I have a chance, because in my district competition, I placed 2nd to a former State Champion!!!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Core Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +488 / 0 / -0
    What kind of music do you like?
    What are some of your favorite artists/bands?
    Have you taken any music classes (either for an instrument or Music Theory/History, etc.)?
    What do you like the most out of a song (the beat, the melody, or the vocals)?
    What has music inspired you to do (if anything)?

1. Anything that catches my attention, but pop, rap and hip-hop I tend to have no interest in.

2. Favorite bands? Perhaps... VNV Nation, Five Finger Death Punch, Nightwish, Metallica, Marilyn Manson, Depeche Mode,Lady Gaga (at times). There are bands that have a single song I like, and no more. Japanese songs can be good, when they don't sound like American pop.

3. Took music classes when I was little, but never cared for it. Recorders are just too squeaky, and the songs were just not to my liking, especially since I was just dragged into it.

4. My reason for not liking certain songs is sometimes because the artist focuses way too much on the words, using only a beat in the background. Words can be good, which is why I like VNV Nation, but crappy content also turns me down. Would much rather listen to 5FDP with the cussing rather than Iggy Azalea talking about hom much you want it. And a beat, well, that could get repetitious. The instruments is what I like to hear, with words that go well with the music.
    In short, I like good words that will take multiple times of listening to figure out while accompanied by great music, music that could make you think or take you away.

5. Drawing has been inspired by music. That, and that 360 degree spin I did on the highway while passing someone flawlessly.

Posted a lot of my stuff in the Asylum labeled as "Core's Favorite Bands". Maybe I'll pull refer back to that for stuff.

6. Lince Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +118 / 0 / -0
    I don't really have a favorite genre of music, it depends on my mood really. I'll listen to anything as long as it sounds good. That being said, I generally dislike crazy heavy songs or really weird and obscure ones. I like music that I can chill too; songs that aren't too crazy yet aren't too subtle. Here are a few examples, take a glance and tell me if you see anything you listen to or know of:

I also listen to some "harder" songs depending on what I feel like at the moment:

I really don't have any favorite bands or artists, I just listen to whatever.

My favorite OST's are Kuroko no Basket:

Dynasty Warriors:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGc4gAIkGW0&list=PL8kwpUtC0sPCOmbXUzSadNFN-ml5mbsee

and Kara no Shoujo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Elso8R7Z-u4&list=PLlviC1EqWEy-hFGCy9sl7Wmql1wiG9f9b

I come up with some of my best ideas while listening to music, so it inspires me to make my ideas a reality. I'm always evolving my thoughts while listening to music so it's kind of the cornerstone for my creativity.

Let me know if you see anything you know/listen to.

7. Roy-Blue Trophy Hunter Chat Moderator

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Haha, I know some people have been posting music themed threads lately, and I apologize for having you re-post them here. But this is good, we're getting nice musical profiles of our members. I think we can all agree that most of will like Japanese music from anime influence, but I'm slightly surprised to see such similar tastes in music so far. I'd be interested to see if this keeps up, from a Sociological standpoint.

Anyways, I should post my own soon, but I thought I should encourage people to read each other's comments here and try to bond, haha. These are your loving, fellow club members. As easy as it is to talk about yourself, I feel we're starting off a little detached. I'm sure each person would be so glad if you commented on their tastes and gave them nice compliments. It's the secret, evil double-nature of this thread, but let's all try to get along. I'll start us off:

@Kaede I used to like Goth Music as well. I wouldn't say I've really grown out of it, but it does seem to have receded a bit and you don't really here too many more bands rising up in that category. It's really a shame because I'd like to here more of that kind of style. Do you know of any more recent ones, or are you having similar problems?

@Crazy Potato You have very diverse taste in music. Not a bad taste, just a completely unexpected (not surprising in the sense you're "Crazy", but not anything near what I could have reasonably thought of). From the sound of things, you seem like the perfect DJ. And I remember you old avatars that looked the part as well. Have you ever considered trading the classical piano for a keyboard and becoming a "Mix Master"?

@jmriz I tried the whole "church choir thing before, but it never stuck for me at least. But that's very cool that you can sing. On top of wishing you luck however, I was curious, what type of music will you be singing? Do they make you sing the more "classical" stuff or are they more lenient and let you sing more modern music? Or do you get to choose? I'm not really sure how it works, and I was always curious. Since I was always in Band in grade-high school and we only worked with the chorus troop wen it was convenient. I wanted to know what it was like to be in it.

@Core We really got into it on your thread, specifically, if I recall correctly. And again, I apologize if it's lost stranded in the Asylum and you're forced to refer to it a lot. But you also had a distinctive taste in music, and I always liked that. You and Kaede both talked about something I had felt was "unusual" about my own taste, and that's the lack of focus on words in general in a song. It's ironic to think that songs are created for that specific purpose, so I felt like that was the unpopular opinion that lyrics were "unnecessary". So I'll be interested to discuss what are some good soundtracks without the lyrics, among other things, with you guys.

@Lince I like listening to a lot of OST from anime and games as well. Have you ever listened to the OST in Disgaea or the Persona series? I always thought they had some really nice soundtracks, both in style and nature of the songs:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Crazy Potato Designer

Ratings:
    +207 / 0 / -0
    I'll stick to classical piano, I love the sounds and moods it gives off while playing.
    What do you guys think of these two songs?
    These are my recommendations for House and Electropop...
    -Electropop-

Beat kicks in at 1:00
    -House-

Beat kicks in at 0:47
    This is Chillstep, it has a verity of genres. Perfect for browsing the internet or studying.

#8 Crazy Potato, Jun 3, 2016
  9. Kaede Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +450 / 0 / -0
    I'm having the same problem as well... So that's why I've widened my search for songs across the world. Haha! I really enjoy them but it's a shame I can't find many in English but I'm also a picky person when it comes to music. So that won't be of help. I am looking for new ones so I'll sure post them if I find any good enough. :)

10. jmriz Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    @Roy-Blue

@jmriz I tried the whole "church choir thing before, but it never stuck for me at least. But that's very cool that you can sing. On top of wishing you luck however, I was curious, what type of music will you be singing? Do they make you sing the more "classical" stuff or are they more lenient and let you sing more modern music? Or do you get to choose? I'm not really sure how it works, and I was always curious. Since I was always in Band in grade-high school and we only worked with the chorus troop wen it was convenient. I wanted to know what it was like to be in it.

To answer your question on choice of music, the contestant gets to choose whatever song from whatever genre he or/ she wants but with a time limit of 5 min for the song, which is just a formality. I will be singing Smoke Gets In Your Eyes by The Platters, which is an R&B song from the late 50's and is one of my favorite songs of all time. Now, on to the choir question, I should have re-phrased Church Choir to Cathedral Choir, we sang at a Cathedral for Sunday Mass and for Bishops and dignitaries, and the choir that I was in last year has sung in Vienna, Carnegie Hall, and the Vatican, these were not just regular choirs

11. Lince Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +118 / 0 / -0
    Yo, this shit is nice.

12. Core Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +488 / 0 / -0
    Why did you tag yourself? Feeling lonely?

You think we could shift that thread into this part of the forum?
    And perhaps we members can make threads in this area titled after a band of our choosing and we can make it a song library of sorts. Like a metallica thread with links/videos for the songs in it. Make it easier for one another to listen to music other members listen to (since some are too lazy to actively search).

#12 Core, Jun 3, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  13. jmriz Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    I tagged myself on accident and trust me, I could never be lonely with all the awesome and kind people, yourself included, who are on this forum!!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Core Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +488 / 0 / -0
    I am resistant to flattery... but I don't feel like resisting it.
    On second thought, @Roy-Blue , scratch the idea about importing my old thread. It will be nice talking about that stuff again.

15. Roy-Blue Trophy Hunter Chat Moderator

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    I'd say the thread library idea might be a good idea, but I'd be mindful of your links. If you can upload their official videos on youtube, that's fine, but certain other links can get out of hand on this particular subject matter. But as long as you're careful, you have my complete blessing. At the same time we can discuss the bands as well and maybe update any news on the band, assuming there is anything to update further down the road. So that might be a great bonus as well.

I'll also get some monthly and weekly polls rolling soon, and maybe add a few more threads. We might be able to have some more fun soon, I just pray for your patience while I sort some things out first. But you all are doing great, I'm glad you guys are such an easy group.

16. Core Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +488 / 0 / -0
    You mean ones that are non you tube? Or just some music tracks on you tube? Because I doubt many artists will normally post all of their music officially.

17. Whitefang19 Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    I will listen to pretty much anything if it sounds good to me and I also listen to some English covers/adaptions of anime and game songs. The only genre that I really don't have any interest in is dubstep.

I don't really have any favourite bands or artists.

The last time I played any instrument was about 10 years ago.

When I was in college and was the only one in the classroom I would use one of the computers in the classroom that I did not disconnected from the internet or I would use my laptop to listen to music which helped me stay focused on my labs which I was able to finish most of them within a month and I also listened to music while studying or working on my other assignments.

#17 Whitefang19, Jun 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
  18. Roy-Blue Trophy Hunter Chat Moderator

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    I just meant links to music files off youtube (and other commercial sites) can be dangerous, in most cases. But as far as the "official" videos, normal ones are, of course, fine. But it would probably be in your best interest to pull from the official if they're there rather than have a video go down for copyright infringement. Also, the official videos are usually the best quality and probably the least area-blocked videos on that specific venue. So, it was mainly just a strong suggestion.

Also, welcome Whitefang. I might forget, but we need to get you guys some club badges. But back on topic, you say you don't have any "favorites", but do you have any examples of songs or music you like? Like any specific video on youtube you have on repeat, or some of the songs that stand out on your playlist? Even if I listen to most things as well, even I have my top lists. You don't have a preferred genre?

19. Whitefang19 Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    There are some bands I do listen to or I enjoy some songs from bands such as Nickleback and Johnny cash. Most of the other music I listen to are game OST such as Persona, Valkyrie Chronicles, various Tales of series opening themes and I also listen to English anime/game covers such as these.

and

I will listen to pretty much any genre of music also I am willing to listen to any music that people recommend for me.

Also I realize that no one on here knows what I went to college for since I never talked about it but that would be off topic.

#19 Whitefang19, Jun 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
  20. jmriz Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0