Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Important Major Site Changes Coming This June

Discussion in 'Information & Updates' started by Sporadic, May 18, 2014.

1. Brave-Fan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    When DTR has merged to DT, do I have to reset my passwords both of DTR and DT?
    or only DTR?

2. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    Do NOT use ImageMagick! It is horrible plugin that degrades the quality of the image, is way too difficult to set up that it should be, and dramatically increases load time. Also to make things clear, xF doesn’t support .gif avatars on forum post. Most animated images will work on profile pages. I have found a mod that should allow .gifs to work natively that I’m testing.

Really? You seem to be the only one who doesn't like it thus far. From what I looked at last night and the forums that use it I see no problem.

So, given the above does that mean users can easily change the gif avi themselves? Also I would like to know if the sig size limit will be the same or change? If the static size doesn’t change I’m ok with that but if at all possible if the gif size limit can be changed to match the static size limit that’d be great. A lot of members no longer use gifs in their sigs and some that do used/still use old ones they had but were forced to crop in order to keep and they just don’t look right/as good. lol

There won’t be any kind of avi/sig pixel/bytes limits will there?
    Will avis be able to be used at say 150×200 or 200×150 and any other similar combination? If not, it would be nice if we can make it happen. (Along with gif avis of course lol)
    Just to be safe (Because no gif avis was SOO not expected) , we’ll still be able to have gifs in our sig right?
    Will image galleries return and if so, will they be similar, the same or better/worse than the JD ones?
    Will HTML be useable or just BBC?
    You’ve said the new server/layout will be more in tune of JD’s layout and functions, can you give a percentage as to how much of a match on a scale of 0-110%?
    Will the birthday option still be used and if so, can you please make it so you don’t have to list the year but just the month/day or just the month in order for it to accept it, show up in the users who have this birthday and so on? When this site first opened, it allowed me to do this, list the month/day but keep the year blank but, sometime before my b-day it sadly was changed over to something else and no longer allowed/accept anything but a full month/day/year so I had to leave it blank and use a different alternative but that means my b-day doesn’t show up in the users who have a birthday section of the site. Also, will the users who have an upcoming b-day still be used?

Thank you to both of you and everyone else too for all your hard work, dedication and much more to this community/sites/forums and hang in there and keep up the good work! Natsuru knows you all can do it!

I'll answer you publicly in case others are wondering the same,prevents me from double answering questions.

The avatars will be easy to add and can be applied once we decide on a plugin to use for it. Sig size will only change for gifs but static and gif sigs will be 500x250

Avatars will be 200x200 or any combination in between (200x150, 150x200 etc)

Yes, gif's are still allowed in sigs and we are actively working to get them easily applicable on the avatars.

User Albums are something that xF supports from what I saw, in many different versions, sonnb, [XFR] User Albums and Xen Media Gallery. We haven't discussed implementing a gallery yet but if there is a demand for it we will add it in.

bbcode will be accessible to everyone and html will be permission protected. Members, such as admins, with the appropriate permission can post HTML. I don't see a reason for members to use html in posts if bbcode servers what they're trying to do.

The setup on the new homepage is nearly the same. I'd say at least 70% a match to JD aside from images and etc. However, after the new server is up and running we on the development team will actively work towards a version 2.0 theme for the site. At this point we're not clear on the direction we're going with it, mainly because we will then take users options on the current theme or if it should be changed, altered or just improved. So that can be something I will inform everyone on as its going on.

We can get an auto birthday greeter setup, not sure how xF servers birthdays by default. But with the greeter you can show a list with all the upcoming birthday users in the sidebar, it can start a new thread at a forum of your choice on a user's birthday so we don't have to manually create the threads anymore, post messages on the users profiles on their birthdays. Users privacy will be respected as well. Meaning that if a user does not want to show the Show day and month of birth and Show year of birth then he/she will not receive any automated birthday greeter pc/profile post, nor would a automated birthday greeter thread be started for him/her. And he/she won't be shown in the today's birthday sidebar list.

or only DTR?

Once the new site is up DT will no longer have accounts or require you to login to watch anime. Only the forum will have accounts so that's the only pass you'll need to change.

3. Kiri Retired staff

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    Hikikomori wrote:
    Do NOT use ImageMagick! It is horrible plugin that degrades the quality of the image, is way too difficult to set up that it should be, and dramatically increases load time. Also to make things clear, xF doesn’t support .gif avatars on forum post. Most animated images will work on profile pages. I have found a mod that should allow .gifs to work natively that I’m testing.

Really? You seem to be the only one who doesn’t like it thus far. From what I looked at last night and the forums that use it I see no problem.

I've done weeks of research, it's bad. It's a pain to setup/install, even with xF's help. It's slower that the built-in engine. It's prone to failures on the last few build of xF. Upload failure rate is much higher. When it tries to "enhance" images, it makes them far worse. It's a bad plugin. That's all there is to it.
    Here's an example image:
    Default image engine:

ImageMagick image:

Now, as I mentioned, I'll work on a mod tonight that should work with the existing built in image engine. There should be no need for that plugin.

4. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    Reprocessing a 200x200 image won't even look close to that. What's the mod called? Or are you developing something from scratch? You know inevitably the choice is up to me anyways.

5. Kiri Retired staff

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    What’s the mod called? Or are you developing something from scratch? You know inevitably the choice is up to me anyways.

It's not called anything, I'm simply changing a bit code in one of the theme templates, referred to as a template mod. I found a similar mod to restrict animated .gif in signatures. I took that code, changed a few small things, and added it to the appropriate template. I just did a test on my CentOS server and it's working flawlessly. And you're right, the choice is yours; my three lines of code or a plugin. If you choose that later, you're more than welcome to install the plugin once the forum is up.

6. Natsuru-san Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Brave fan wrote:
    or only DTR?
    Once the new site is up DT will no longer have accounts or require you to login to watch anime. Only the forum will have accounts so that’s the only pass you’ll need to change.
    @Sporadic: Does this mean that our watch list on DT will not be transferred/around anymore? You said change password but can you just use the same password once the switch happens?

7. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    The watch list wont carry over to the new site. It was never a widely used feature as I'm assuming people would rather use their MAL or AP accounts.

The passwords need to be changed for your forum account because the import doesn't carry them over. I'm assuming if the new forum doesn't know the password you're using here you might be able to use the same one.

8. Delta Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +93 / 0 / -0
    what about the users who use different logins for DT and DTR, I for one use the same user name but the account name is different?

9. Kiri Retired staff

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    what about the users who use different logins for DT and DTR, I for one use the same user name but the account name is different?

If you're asking which will be used to log into the new forum, they would want to use their DTR login as that will be the database used for the forum migration.

10. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    @Delta, what Kiri said. After the site changes take place you will no longer need an account for DT.

11. Delta Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +93 / 0 / -0
    cool thanks guys