Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Important Major Site Changes Coming This June

Discussion in 'Information & Updates' started by Sporadic, May 18, 2014.

1. JustAdmin Root

Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    We were never actually shown evidence of a forced takedown on JD anyways

What do you mean spor? It happened, trust me.... as If noey will just give up a cash cow for nothing. What a wild assumption lol. I have the copy of the facebook message, and zyklon actually received a subpoena. If you want to read the facebook message I will only be too glad to show you.

2. Mafiacow Obsessed Over Trophies

Ratings:
    +179 / 1 / -0
    •New posts within The Asylum will no longer count towards a user’s post count (previous post will so one’s post count will not decrease).

Awww. Why is this anyway? o_O

Mafiacow wrote:
    2. Just wondering, but wasn’t the point of having Review separate from DT to be so that it wouldn’t be taken down should a repeat happen?

That’s kind of pointless at this moment because both sites are being hosted on the same server. Keeping an active backup of the site will prevent us from losing any data. We were never actually shown evidence of a forced takedown on JD anyways. The benefits of merging the two sites greatly outweighs the disadvantages.

Ah kay, fair enough.

3. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    You know while most people didn't like it I actually liked the Xat chat we had on JD.

4. Vapen Probably Asleep

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    We were never actually shown evidence of a forced takedown on JD anyways
    What do you mean spor? It happened, trust me…. as If noey will just give up a cash cow for nothing. What a wild assumption lol. I have the copy of the facebook message, and zyklon actually received a subpoena. If you want to read the facebook message I will only be too glad to show you.

I believe it all as well. I made a comment and Noey jumped down my throat saying I don't know what I'm talking about, but it was meant to be a compliment on how long he managed to keep JD going until Stevey came to help.

You know while most people didn’t like it I actually liked the Xat chat we had on JD.

I miss my Xat chat, so many good times on there. Never got into chatango, it kind of annoys me, but to each his own, I guess

Edit: Also, I think the forum makeover will help bring in more people. I still can't seem to get use to this format/layout.

5. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    I miss my Xat chat, so many good times on there. Never got into chatango, it kind of annoys me, but to each his own, I guess

So I'm not alone. BTW the Xat chat is still up
    http://xat.com/chat/room/177690086/

I found the link in my bookmarks and apparently even if no one visits it for months it's never closed

6. Batosai Manslayer

Ratings:
    +264 / 7 / -0
    @Sporadic, this all sounds great. Will the new content system be easier to use? I am happy to see that the streaming site and the forum will be on the same site again. Much easier to visit one site than two. I also like how it will be going back more to how JD was.

Thanks for all the hard work you're doing.

7. Kiri Retired staff

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    Hikikomori wrote:
    •New posts within The Asylum will no longer count towards a user’s post count (previous post will so one’s post count will not decrease).

Awww. Why is this anyway? o_O

Well DTR was supposed to be modeled after JD for most of its structure, so Asylum post should never have counted from the beginning. However, Asylum post count was never deactivated. The change is being made during the move as it is a better time than any. This may help:

Well, disabling asylum post count is something we’ve wanted to do since we moved to this site. But nobody ever followed through on it.

As for why it has been this way; I believe it was set up to encourage members to post outside the Asylum and contribute to the theme of the forum, that being anime. Truthfully, it's very easy to get a high post count by taking part in everything the Asylum has to offer. The forum's focus is on anime and members should be rewarded for contributing to this focus. I do agree that the Asylum is fun and is a great part of the forum, but games are game and should be treated as such. For example, do students get a grade for reeses? No, as it's a place and time for them to have fun, but they're not graded. Think of the Asylum as something similar.

8. BaconMan8910 Blue Bomber

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    Sporadic wrote:
    Well, disabling asylum post count is something we’ve wanted to do since we moved to this site. But nobody ever followed through on it.

As for why it has been this way; I believe it was set up to encourage members to post outside the Asylum and contribute to the theme of the forum, that being anime. Truthfully, it’s very easy to get a high post count by taking part in everything the Asylum has to offer. The forum’s focus is on anime and members should be rewarded for contributing to this focus. I do agree that the Asylum is fun and is a great part of the forum, but games are game and should be treated as such. For example, do students get a grade for reeses? No, as it’s a place and time for them to have fun, but they’re not graded. Think of the Asylum as something similar.

I'm still in favor of just capping the amount of post count you can receive from the Asylum, daily. But that's probably the best explanation I've heard for removing it thus far. So I'm a little more comfortable with it. I get what you're saying about "contributing to the theme" of the site/forum and being rewarded for it.

I'm really excited for most of the changes. The only one I'm really not looking forward to is moving to Chatango. I kinda have to agree with Vashnik. I'd rather keep Arrowchat, or something similar. Personally I think Chatango is just kinda bulky and annoying. I also disable it on every site (anime or otherwise) that I visit. Arrowchat just kinda hangs out down in the bottom right corner of my monitor so it's there if I want to use it and it's not in my way if I don't.

Chatango isn't a deal breaker or anything. Just throwing my opinion in. Otherwise, everything sounds great. :3

9. VeritasOdiumParit Cult of Personality

Ratings:
    +144 / 0 / -0
    While things like thread, posts, and accounts will move over just fine, there will be a few things member will lose and have to redo. Here’s the break down: •Passwords will have to be reset.
    •Avatars will have to be reuploaded.
    •Signatures will need to be added again.
    •Members will have to add their friends to their follow list.
    •Memebers will have to rejoin any Club they were a part of.
    •Private messages will be lost.
    •A small number of usernames may be changed. Durrung my test, no active member was effected by this. If you end up with a changed username after the move, please contact an admin and they will change it for you. I recommend everyone to take note of their post count, awards earned, save a copy of their avatar, copy the text for their signature, and copy any private messages they wish to keep. The first few can be done by taking a screenshot of their profile page. I expect the forum migration to take about 2-3 hours. After the forum is open however, there will still be work being done. I’ll make a thread after the move with more details. There will also be a few changes done to the forum structure.
    •Groups (clubs) will be similar to how they are now. It will take some time for all clubs to be remade. All clubs will be located under the SOS Brigade section (yes, the SOS Brigade will be returning!).
    •All previous club threads and post will be preserved. It will take some time, as I mentioned. This is largely due to how the plugin is formated.
    •Clubs will have two joining options; public and private. Plubic will allow any member to join where as private will require that member to be accepted to join.
    •Review pages will no longer be on the forum. These will be moved to their respective anime page. If you have any questions regarding the forum move, feel free to ask me. I’ve done plenty of testing and I should be able to answer any question.

@hikikomori I have a feeling my username may be too long. If it is, let me know and I will change it to something shorter if need be. I will also take a screen shot of stuff. I still have my avatar backed up.

Got to readd friends? Did I have any to begin with? ={ I have kept in contact with people so I don't mind what happens to the private messages. Delete them all!!!

Will we have avatars on the chat, or will we have to use one of those silly sites to host the avatar again? (Because I really can't be bothered to use an external site).

Also, I think I don't mind the Asylum post counts stopping on the new site. I have to admit, it is one of the few reasons why I stopped posting on the Aslyum, as the whole purpose of joining this site was to "discuss" anime with fellow fans :p I look forward to the new changes.

I also take it my award-winning review will be lost in the transfer? (Or is it moving to the anime page)?

10. Kiri Retired staff

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    hikikomori I have a feeling my username may be too long. If it is, let me know and I will change it to something shorter if need be. I will also take a screen shot of stuff. I still have my avatar backed up.

Got to readd friends? Did I have any to begin with? ={ I have kept in contact with people so I don’t mind what happens to the private messages. Delete them all!!!

Will we have avatars on the chat, or will we have to use one of those silly sites to host the avatar again? (Because I really can’t be bothered to use an external site).

Also, I think I don’t mind the Asylum post counts stopping on the new site. I have to admit, it is one of the few reasons why I stopped posting on the Aslyum, as the whole purpose of joining this site was to “discuss” anime with fellow fans [​IMG] I look forward to the new changes.

I also take it my award-winning review will be lost in the transfer? (Or is it moving to the anime page)?

@VeritasOdiumParit
    1) This is how your username will look after the import (taken from my latest test import)
    http://puu.sh/8Uamu

2) I'm your friend (^^)

3) That would be a question better answered by @Jaysp656

4) Awards should still remain, only the content is moving.

11. Negi-Springfield Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +242 / 0 / -1
    I look forward to those changes.

The thing with chatango is that many people are using it, so usernames won't match these on the site, but that's about my only objection to it.

Also, since on many forums the avatar can go up to 400x400, will the avatars be allowed to be any bigger than they are right now?

12. Mafiacow Obsessed Over Trophies

Ratings:
    +179 / 1 / -0
    As for why it has been this way; I believe it was set up to encourage members to post outside the Asylum and contribute to the theme of the forum, that being anime. Truthfully, it’s very easy to get a high post count by taking part in everything the Asylum has to offer. The forum’s focus is on anime and members should be rewarded for contributing to this focus. I do agree that the Asylum is fun and is a great part of the forum, but games are game and should be treated as such. For example, do students get a grade for reeses? No, as it’s a place and time for them to have fun, but they’re not graded. Think of the Asylum as something similar.

Ah okay, this makes me feel much less down about it.
    In regards to "do students get a grade for recess?" *Insert my standard rant about steiner schools*

Oh, and regarding that "test import" thing; will the new forum have the year marked in posts, like "May 21 2014 at 9:02 am"?

13. Negi-Springfield Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +242 / 0 / -1
  14. Kiri Retired staff

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    Oh, and regarding that “test import” thing; will the new forum have the year marked in posts, like “May 21 2014 at 9:02 am”?

For "recent" post it will show things like "X minutes age". For "later" post it will look like this:
    http://puu.sh/8Uyvr
    Image taken from my test forum.

Speaking of which, I never saw the option to change the time zone here, will it be there?

Yes, and here's what it looks like:
    http://puu.sh/8UyGj
    Image taken from my test forum.

15. Keiichi-Morisato DJ Double Cheezy ~ Sakura Animé Radio

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    Hey its me! I fell off the face of the earth!

I'm one of those xF 'beaters' and I really like the media integration so posting images and videos is very easy.
    As for Drupal, I've never used so that will be something new for me.

16. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    Good for you?

Sorry, I still don't believe it.

Because we want it this way.

Xat is the epitome of terrible.

About the same.

Nah it was because they never figured out a way to disable it. And since it wasn't high on the priority list it was put aside and eventually forgotten.

17. Kiri Retired staff

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    Hikikomori wrote:
    As for why it has been this way; I believe it was set up to encourage members to post outside the Asylum and contribute to the theme of the forum, that being anime.

Nah it was because they never figured out a way to disable it. And since it wasn’t high on the priority list it was put aside and eventually forgotten.

I was talking about why I believed Asylum post counts were disabled back on JD and why they will be after the move.

18. Jaysp656 Artificial Intelligence

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    @veritasodiumparit
    To my knowledge Chatango does have it's own avatar stuff. Those will be visible if Spor chooses to allow them. I'd imagine he will, seeing it looks to be default in the settings.

Jay is sort of angsty over not using Arrow anymore as it is.

And yes I do think Arrowchat is a really nice chat in comparison to Chatango. I've heard few complaints of it. I haven't heard many good opinions of Chatango though.

19. Noobs I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +631 / 3 / -1
    uhhhmm this is my only request for the new site.

gif avatars.

20. Mafiacow Obsessed Over Trophies

Ratings:
    +179 / 1 / -0
    For “recent” post it will show things like “X minutes age”. For “later” post it will look like this:
    *pic*
    Yes, and here’s what it looks like:
    *pic*

Coolness to both~

gif avatars.

This this this. :D