Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Important Major Site Changes Coming This June

Discussion in 'Information & Updates' started by Sporadic, May 18, 2014.

1. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    As some of you are already aware we will be going through some major site changes in the coming weeks. The development team has been working hard creating a new format, layout and content management system for Dubtopia. I will outline some of the most noticeable changes and @Hikikomori will make a follow up post about specific details you all should know about the new forum and preparing for the migration.

1. We will no longer be using Wordpress or BBpress. The content management system for DT will be Drupal and the forum will be Xenforo. For those of you not familiar with Xenforo it is similar to vBulletin created by some of vB's developers. This will save us a ton of headaches in the way of managing how the site and forum function.

2. Almost all of our content will be imported to the new site. The series, downloads, reviews and etc will make the switch perfectly. Kiri has been working hard to perfect importing registered accounts, threads and group posts successfully to the new forum. This way all registered accounts will make the transition as well as a good majority of the posts. Like I said earlier, Kiri will make a follow up post with the specifics of the forum migration.

3. The two sites will be merging into one entity instead of remaining separate. Dubtopian Review no longer exist and will merge into Dubtopia. Streaming will once again become the focal point of our site. Once the new site is up and running Dubtopian Review's URL will redirect to Dubtopia until the domain expires. The reviews will still be a main part of the site but it will no longer be the main focus.

4. The color scheme will be changing from the orange and gray template to a blue, black, white and gray color scheme. Arisu will not be changed to accommodate for that switch, she will remain 100% the same.

5. The new site will be strikingly similar to JD in appearance, functionality and format. It will bring back a good deal of the aspects from the old site.

6. After the new site launches, much like JD did, we will begin developing a version 2.0 theme for the site and forum. This version will be a better, more refined setup which will incorporate any additional input and suggestions from the entire community.

7. A familiar face will be rejoining us.

Check back later to get a sneak peak at the new site and forum.

2. minisiets Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    A familiar face eh? I suppose I can't ask who that is because it's a surprise. Anyway this all seems pretty cool to me. I was never a big fan of WordPress. Hope the new design and format works out.

3. Sir-Maddy Finger Lickin' Good™

Ratings:
    +260 / 0 / -1
    It's Stevey isn't it?

4. Noobs I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +631 / 3 / -1
    i was more like thinking of Jenna or Noey joining. xD

5. Mafiacow Obsessed Over Trophies

Ratings:
    +179 / 1 / -0
    Just a couple of things;
    1. The messages won't be getting migrated, will they? I'll have to back up the ones I want to keep myself?
    2. Just wondering, but wasn't the point of having Review separate from DT to be so that it wouldn't be taken down should a repeat happen?

6. Sir-Maddy Finger Lickin' Good™

Ratings:
    +260 / 0 / -1
    i was more like thinking of Jenna or Noey joining. xD

Either way we know it'll be someone important.

7. Supernatural-Knight Asylum Game Master Moderator

Ratings:
    +608 / 4 / -6
    Jenna was a way older member than me, I actually believe they left before I joined JD so I doubt Spor would have their contact info, Noey shut down due to reasons because it was easier so I doubt it'd be him and wasn't Stevey the DTR admin? I think all 3 options are out. I was more thinking its possibly a creative designer like Walshy or someone else like that, possibly a coder even but I can't remember any of them by username.

Interesting thing to note, Arisu's original design was a blue school uniform so now that the swap is to a blue colour scheme this design could make a return. By the way I haven't seen the finished school uniform Arisu in a while, do we still have that design?
    The site merging makes sense, it will be easier to handle and the streaming is why most of us were here in the first place I'd imagine.

I would believe PM's will be lost because they are meant to be private Mafia, I may need to save a few of them before this happens.
    I just hope that the @function manages to make a return, I think that was the best feature from this new forum set up.

8. BK-201 The Black Reaper Moderator

Ratings:
    +124 / 1 / -0
    I look forward to using the new site setup, it all sounds great.

@supernatural-knight the @function will remain, it was an important function considered when choosing the new forum software to use.

9. Supernatural-Knight Asylum Game Master Moderator

Ratings:
    +608 / 4 / -6
    Bloody awesome, that feature is definitely necessary now considering how much everyone uses it I think we'd be kind of lost without it.

10. Kiri Retired staff

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    I'm going to add a bit more information regarding the forum migration. As you may be aware, the forum will be using XenForo. I will be spearheading the transition from bbPress to XenForo. While things like thread, posts, and accounts will move over just fine, there will be a few things member will lose and have to redo. Here's the break down:

•Passwords will have to be reset.
    •Avatars will have to be reuploaded.
    •Signatures will need to be added again.
    •Members will have to add their friends to their follow list.
    •Memebers will have to rejoin any Club they were a part of.
    •Private messages will be lost.
    •A small number of usernames may be changed. Durrung my test, no active member was effected by this. If you end up with a changed username after the move, please contact an admin and they will change it for you.

I recommend everyone to take note of their post count, awards earned, save a copy of their avatar, copy the text for their signature, and copy any private messages they wish to keep. The first few can be done by taking a screenshot of their profile page.

I expect the forum migration to take about 2-3 hours. After the forum is open however, there will still be work being done. I'll make a thread after the move with more details.

There will also be a few changes done to the forum structure.
    •New posts within The Asylum will no longer count towards a user's post count (previous post will so one's post count will not decrease).
    •Groups (clubs) will be similar to how they are now. It will take some time for all clubs to be remade. All clubs will be located under the SOS Brigade section (yes, the SOS Brigade will be returning!).
    •All previous club threads and post will be preserved. It will take some time, as I mentioned. This is largely due to how the plugin is formated.
    •Clubs will have two joining options; public and private. Plubic will allow any member to join where as private will require that member to be accepted to join.
    •Review pages will no longer be on the forum. These will be moved to their respective anime page.

If you have any questions regarding the forum move, feel free to ask me. I've done plenty of testing and I should be able to answer any question.

11. BaconMan8910 Blue Bomber

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    Sounds good. Looking forward to seeing the changes in practice. :3

12. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    2. Just wondering, but wasn’t the point of having Review separate from DT to be so that it wouldn’t be taken down should a repeat happen?

That's kind of pointless at this moment because both sites are being hosted on the same server. Keeping an active backup of the site will prevent us from losing any data. We were never actually shown evidence of a forced takedown on JD anyways. The benefits of merging the two sites greatly outweighs the disadvantages.

•Review pages will no longer be on the forum. These will be moved to their respective anime page.

Also adding that any threads within a review forum will be migrated into the regular forum in their respective sections.

13. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    There will also be a few changes done to the forum structure.
    •New posts within The Asylum will no longer count towards a user’s post count (previous post will so one’s post count will not decrease).

I plead GUILTY. Also this is a conspiracy to make me post on the other threads more often because you guys know I love to inflate my ego :)

Does the new site come with a chat box as well? Goes mostly unused but you never know.

14. Kiri Retired staff

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    Does the new site come with a chat box as well? Goes mostly unused but you never know.

Yes, there will be a chat available once the switch is made.

15. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0

That's good. The long list of review sections and club sections on the front page made the forums seem a bit big and empty.

16. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    I plead GUILTY. Also this is a conspiracy to make me post on the other threads more often because you guys know I love to inflate my ego :) Does the new site come with a chat box as well? Goes mostly unused but you never know.
    Well, disabling asylum post count is something we've wanted to do since we moved to this site. But nobody ever followed through on it. And yes we will still have a chat box. We will be using Chatango from now on. It will be embedded on the homepage and have a link for the expanded chat in the navibar. It will no longer be present on the forum.

That’s good. The long list of review sections and club sections on the front page made the forums seem a bit big and empty.

Yeah, it's something I argued with Red and stevey for the longest time to remove. To me it just seemed like they were the only two who wanted them there.

17. Vashnik Guest

『   』
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    -snip-
    •Clubs will have two joining options; public and private. Plubic will allow any member to join where as private will require that member to be accepted to join.
    -snip-

On the forum software, MyBB, both of those descriptions are considered public groups. The private group that you describe is considered a (open) moderated group, where a group leader can accept or deny a member. A private group on MyBB is considered to be closed groups like the staff positions Administrator, Super (aka Global) Moderator, and Moderator, which are commonly under strict Administrative control (by default).

I have to ask though, was MyBB even considered for use as the forum software? While it doesn't have the "at" function built into the core, they do have a plugin called Mentions that does the same thing. Now, I haven't used XenForo in quite a while so I can't speak on easy customization, but MyBB is easy to adapt to and even write plugins for. XenForo is however better than that phpBB crap software that everyone tends to flock to when they're not licensing vBulletin.

-snip-
    Well, disabling asylum post count is something we’ve wanted to do since we moved to this site. But nobody ever followed through on it. And yes we will still have a chat box. We will be using Chatango from now on. It will be embedded on the homepage and have a link for the expanded chat in the navibar. It will no longer be present on the forum.
    -snip-

I will be blocking Chatango. I hate that annoying crap they call a chat system. It takes more time and resources to "close" that thing than it does just adding it to my computer's "hosts" file directing the name back to my computer. No cookie required to keep it closed and no annoying confirmation messages every time you want to close it because you're blocking cookies.

Also, while I was typing, more posts were added. Does XenForo (in core or plugin/addon form) even notify you of new posts while people were typing? MyBB has a plugin called "While You Were Typing," so having a plugin like that would help when posting in an active topic, that's just my opinion though.

18. Kiri Retired staff

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    I have to ask though, was MyBB even considered for use as the forum software?

I personally tested a wide variety of forum softwares, both free and paid, on my CentOS webserver. After several long and extensive test, I felt xenForo was the best option, for ease of use, plugin selection, support, security, etc.

Also, while I was typing, more posts were added. Does XenForo (in core or plugin/addon form) even notify you of new posts while people were typing? MyBB has a plugin called “While You Were Typing,” so having a plugin like that would help when posting in an active topic, that’s just my opinion though.

xenForo should have this function built in. During my live beta test, I personally didn't experience a situation where someone had posted while I was writing up my post and submitted.

Interesting thing to note, Arisu’s original design was a blue school uniform so now that the swap is to a blue colour scheme this design could make a return. By the way I haven’t seen the finished school uniform Arisu in a while, do we still have that design?

Yes, infact I have a copy of the Mascots images. I've been using the blue version of Arisu's uniform to help with the forums to-be color scheme.

19. THE-WASP Guest

『   』
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    will the chat box in the lower right corner change?

20. Kiri Retired staff

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    will the chat box in the lower right corner change?

Yes, it will be moved to the site's home page. I believe it will be part of one of the sidebars.