Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Looking for new gaming mouse. Who to trust?

Discussion in 'Tech Temple' started by Metazoxan, Dec 19, 2015.

1. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    I'm looking into getting a new gaming mouse as the scroll wheel on my current one has been broken for a while and the rest of it is starting to wear a bit

I found one that looks interesting but there are like a dozen different listings for what looks like exactly the same mouse with a few having a different logo or paint job
    http://www.amazon.com/Combaterwing-..._UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=04KW59EAE0ZW6S35J5HG

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...d5ce-5d33-8638-4745fd82a4ae&pf_rd_i=402052011

http://www.amazon.com/YCCTEAM-Butto...d_cp_63_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=04KW59EAE0ZW6S35J5HG

http://www.amazon.com/Masione-4800D..._UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=1CWS43J3CQJ7S4PF30ER

Are any of these reliable?

2. Vladnyx Everyone is the main character of their own life.

Ratings:
    +609 / 0 / -0
    They all look reliable. However the first link there are no reviews on that mouse. And from two reviews writing on the 3rd link apparently the CD is in Chinese for the Upgrade(drivers) so it's difficult to navigate. All I can say is read over the reviews and try to decide. Not only that determine what functions your looking for. It took me a good while to find a mouse i'm happy with. I own a older generation Razer Mamba and it's held up for years now with no issues so i'm happy with it. Just depends on your budget, preference, and if it supports or has key features your looking for.

3. Delta Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +93 / 0 / -0
    Mostly depends on what you want, light/ heavy wight, speed/control, loaded with buttons or just the basics.
    I have a mad catz R.A.T TE, works well and can change the speed and control, looking at upgrading to a naga epic chromea to match my keyboard, I trust both Razer and mad catz gear, both can offer
    descent gear, like Vlad an I said earlyer depends on the functions your looking for.

4. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    I'm not too picky about light or heavy, I'd like some decent speed but it doesn't have to be top of the line control, I don't need a million buttons but I want a few.

The reason I want to get a gaming mouse is partly because I plan to get a gaming PC eventually and get into PC gaming a little. For now though I plan to map some keyboard commands to it to make things more convenient.

So I don't need a super high end gaming mouse or one with too many features in it. What I do need is a reliable one that won't die on me. The scroll wheel on my old one died within months.

5. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    I really like my Logitech G602
    http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wire...&qid=1450635768&sr=1-1&keywords=logitech+g602

Not sure why the original price says 80$ because I bought mine for 50 and that was almost a year ago. Must be a marketing gimmick. It's a higher price then the ones you listed so there is that. Wireless with good battery life. I find the "performance" mode is best for everything. DPI is overrated, you'll never go over 1600 and even at that setting you'll have to be some kind of twitch gamer mastermind who probably gets accused of hacking.

Logitech has a software you can download from there website that let's you map out the buttons on this mouse. As far as reliability I admit my middle mouse button sometimes doesn't react to the presses. It's only from one of my games though so I have no idea if it's the mouse or the game. Everything else seems to work.

This mouse is heavy, just the way I like it. I do like that thumb rest thingy next to the buttons, I don't know what they call that.

Well that's enough of me shilling for Logitech. That probably just muddied the waters further :D

6. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Hmm. It does look pretty good and it's from a decent company I actually know for once which means it's at least not some junk from a small company making knock offs of more official products.

But that's like $20 more than the others I was looking at and I don't really need wireless...

7. Vashnik Guest

『   』
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Personally, just avoid Steel Series at all possible. They have the worst Engine that crashes at random so you're left with a basic mouse with no additional button support and all customized actions for those buttons are disabled when the engine isn't running. The software is excessively slow to change profiles and even just to startup the software. Sometimes the devices loses their connection to the computer, so you typically have to unplug the receiver or the USB cable and plug it back it, but when you do, you might end up crashing your computer. I noticed that every time my SteelSeries World of Warcraft MMO Wireless Mouse lost it's connection, I had to unplug the wireless charging base and plug it back in quite frequently, sometimes 2 - 3 times a day and when I did, it often made the computer crash.

Logitech has a beautifully designed, fairly fast responsive software. Best of all, the only time the software really crashes is when you forget to add additional DPI settings instead of just the one, and accidentally hitting the DPI shift button. Usually remedied by removing the DPI shift setting.

I haven't tried other mice brands yet, but I'm fairly happy with Logitech Gaming. I had a logitech nano wireless mouse that wasn't built for gaming before I picked up a SteelSeries World of Warcraft MMO Wireless Mouse. By then, the middle mouse button on the logitech mouse had corroded on the silvery-like finished and the rubber in the middle would start interfering with scrolling just because of wear and tear (it lasted a good 3 years, give or take a couple of months). As far as usability goes, the Logitech mouse lasted longer than SteelSeries. Now I have the Logitech Gaming Mouse G600 and I absolutely love it.
    You can check out their gaming devices line at http://gaming.logitech.com, even if to get an idea of what looks appealing to you and compare to other brands (as well as find devices that are still being made by Logitech).

I would also check NewEgg for some of those devices. They probably have a lot more reviews on the devices you're looking at, so you can get a bigger picture on what others think about it through their own experience. It even shows you the difference between a verified owner and someone who may have bought it elsewhere (unverified owner). It might even give you more details about the product that Amazon may not provide.

8. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Okay so while they are a little pricier I think I'll go with either the Logitech one or the Mad Catz® R.A.T. TE. Both seem like pretty good brands and the RATTE even apparently got an editors pick award.

9. Vladnyx Everyone is the main character of their own life.

Ratings:
    +609 / 0 / -0
    Never go above 1600dpi I must be one of those masterminds. I play with 9600dpi and it still isn't enough for me.

10. Core Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +488 / 0 / -0
    Be sure to get something ergonomic. You do not want carpal tunnel. I use a Logitech M570, which is not a gaming mouse, but still quite comfortable.

11. Core Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +488 / 0 / -0
    Metazoxan started this out as his question, but now I am starting to wonder what kind of mouse I should get, or at least what should I know.

I have begun to notice the RMB on my Logitech M570 has begun to fail. In case you do not know, the M570 is a trackball mouse. I tend to favor the thumb-type trackball .due to compact space, but I know of no trackball gaming mice. As for DPI, just how important is that?
    I would think that all the sensitivity will only make my aiming on an FPS more unstable.

What kind of brand is good? I hear that Razer is junk:
    http://www.amazon.com/Razer-Naga-Er...ie=UTF8&qid=1461534943&sr=1-24&keywords=razer
    But this one seems like it would be nice for Unreal Tournament 3, or some other game that gives you a broad selection of weapons.

I already like Logitech, so far. This one caught my attention while searching for Corsair:
    http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G600...qid=1461535367&sr=1-18&keywords=corsair+mouse

Kensington has a number of interesting trackball mice:
    http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-Or...F8&qid=1461535783&sr=1-12&keywords=kensington
    http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-Or...TF8&qid=1461535783&sr=1-4&keywords=kensington
    http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-Sl...TF8&qid=1461535783&sr=1-6&keywords=kensington

And who knows what the RedDragon is like, never heard of it before:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GU8W5AE?psc=1

This all I can think of for now.

Oh, right forgot to mention some of my trackball's smooth movement was lost, thanks to the trackball falling onto the concrete. Put a scratch into it.

12. Severus Shiny Legendary Pokemon

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
  13. Kiri Retired staff

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    While I'd like to give my opinion, I'm left-handed, so what works for me doesn't for most.
    I've been told they are the Beats Audio of PC peripherals.

14. Core Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +488 / 0 / -0
    Is that good or bad? Someone mentioned that Razer mice are BS.
    Beats sounds good, but I have no real idea.

@Severus
    Huh. Looks like a neat mouse. Pretty sure it will do the job well, too. I'm just waiting for one of the sneering imperialist gamers to come and call it junk.

15. Enigma The man, the myth, the legend.

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I love my Corsair Scimitar RGB.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Vashnik Guest

『   』
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    As far as mice go, I have the Logitech G600. It's better than any other mouse I've used so far. I haven't heard anything bad about Razer, but nothing good either. I can however tell you that SteelSeries is complete shit. As great as it was to have a lit-up charging base for the World of Warcraft Wireless MMO mouse, that damn thing kept losing it's signal at the most random of times and the software companion to customize it was complete trash, hardly any support for various mouse functions, crashed frequently, and slow as hell just to even open the program up. Sometimes, it couldn't even recognize the device was connected to the computer.

With the Logitech G600 though, the software companion was a lot more smooth, offers a lot more functionality, and crashed very few times (only crashed if you try to change DPI when there aren't any other DPI settings to change to. This may or may not have been fixed, but since I don't change DPI at all, I have no need to check). The mouse has a default memory setting, so the side buttons will always work, but to customize them you need the software, even if only to change the mouse's memory settings for the keys.

If you can't find a suitable track-ball mouse, I'd recommend giving Logitech Gaming a chance; even if you get one of their cheaper, non-MMO editions. Definitely avoid SteelSeries at all costs though.

17. Enigma The man, the myth, the legend.

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Rankings from worst to best from what I've used.

Generic
    Logitech (cheapos)
    Razer
    Steelseries (Last forever but are very basic functionality wise)
    Logitech (expensive -- G502 Proteus core)
    Corsair (Scimitar RGB)

Avoid the knock off brands. They tend to break very quickly.

18. Kiri Retired staff

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0

Price to performance is low since you're paying for the name. You can generally get something as good for less.

19. Core Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +488 / 0 / -0
    I figured as much.

20. Core Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +488 / 0 / -0
    To all those who have decide to help, this is the result.
    After much decision, I have settled upon a choice for a mouse, and this is it:
    [​IMG]

The Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick. With some program tweaking/use, I will be able to use it as a mouse, and have a revolutionary new way of doing FPSs.
    Alright, this was an idea, and I even attempted it, but ultimately, it would not work quite like that. Gonna have to return it before time runs out.
    This was my real choice:
    [​IMG]
    Corsair Scimitar. Considering that the Logitech m600 and this were the same price, I ultimately decided on this one, due to visible use of metal structure and sliding keypad. Not to mention the pretty lights it has. Anyway, I was told the buttons were supposed to last longer than my trackball's buttons.
    I just hope I was not paying for the lights and the extra sensitivity that I am too clumsy to use.
    Not sure if it was lucky shots on UT3 I was making, but I think I was able to do better kills on that game. Just hope it's not because I am using a normal mouse rather than a trackball.

I just hope it can withstand my Rage Crush when something stupid happens in a game or one of my programs.

#20 Core, May 6, 2016
    Last edited: May 6, 2016