Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Log Horizon discussion

Discussion in 'SOS Brigade (Clubs)' started by Supernatural-Knight, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Mafiacow Obsessed Over Trophies

Ratings:
    +179 / 1 / -0
    One person’s boring episode is another’s great episode, I thoroughly enjoyed last weeks episode, especially the verification of the memory loss in the occurrence of death. I was shocked when Crusty revealed he had died at least twice, I knew it was a possibility, but he is the leader of a large combat guild so I would have expected him to at least survive the trial period. Although it now does bring in the real threat within the game world because before now it did seem kind of like a utopia in Akihabara at least, no viruses, no colds, no death they did have it pretty easy until this knowledge.

Holy crap. Just remembered that PKing hype near the beginning. How many memories were lost to that?? :O

2. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Supernatural Knight wrote:
    One person’s boring episode is another’s great episode, I thoroughly enjoyed last weeks episode, especially the verification of the memory loss in the occurrence of death. I was shocked when Crusty revealed he had died at least twice, I knew it was a possibility, but he is the leader of a large combat guild so I would have expected him to at least survive the trial period. Although it now does bring in the real threat within the game world because before now it did seem kind of like a utopia in Akihabara at least, no viruses, no colds, no death they did have it pretty easy until this knowledge.

Holy crap. Just remembered that PKing hype near the beginning. How many memories were lost to that?? :O

Well the blondie with glasses mentioned dying several times and only forgot small things like his cats name. So it's unlikely many lost anything major since most of the weaker players probably started hiding out in town fairly early on. It's not like each death takes away a chunk of your childhood. Each one just slowly chips away at you. So just one death is no big deal since whatever memory that one death took is probably something you kinda forgot anyway. The problem is repeated death and repeated chipping eventually starts to make big gaps.

In a way it's a bigger problem than in SAO because the lack of fear makes people less catious. Because in SAO death was permanent and you were just gone. But here all you get is slight memory loss and even if you know about this it still doesn't give you that same survival drive. You figure just once or twice won't matter too much so while you try to avoid death you aren't to worried either. But then one or two becomes ten or twenty and eventually you can't remember your own parents faces anymore. So Log Horizon actually has a more dangerous death penalty than SAO in the long run.

3. Mafiacow Obsessed Over Trophies

Ratings:
    +179 / 1 / -0
    Not many thoughts, or rather, not many that I wrote down, can't remember.

Oooh, Izumo Knights gone??
    For once, the noobs look useful, and actually sorta cool. ^_^
    I'm liking this conference thing and how we're finally getting somewhere with the plot. :D

4. Kiri Retired staff

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    Well I finished episode 19. The fight is really nice and I like their steamboat (I know it was more prevalent in the 18 but it's still cool). The speculation of Rudy was one of The People of the Land is now resolved. We know he is now. I'm just curious how he started on the path of becoming an Adventurer. Related, if he can act like and Adventurer, can't all the other People of the Land do the same? And with that I take my leave for now.

5. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Well I finished episode 19. The fight is really nice and I like their steamboat (I know it was more prevalent in the 18 but it’s still cool). The speculation of Rudy was one of The People of the Land is now resolved. We know he is now. I’m just curious how he started on the path of becoming an Adventurer. Related, if he can act like and Adventurer, can’t all the other People of the Land do the same? And with that I take my leave for now.

I have a feeling Rudy is one of those "Hero" people of the land. Meaning he's one of the few People of the land with power equal to that of at least a mid class adventurer. So no I don't think other People of the Land can do the same it's only those few who have that kinda power.

6. Mafiacow Obsessed Over Trophies

Ratings:
    +179 / 1 / -0
    Wow, such inactivity. As for me, I was busy on release day of both the latest eps, and didn't get around to them until now.

Ep 18:
    Only just now noticed that thing in the OP the Meta mentioned. XD
    I liked the kittehs on stage. XD
    (Just before getting changed) Am I to be expecting the standard "differences in body coverage of the exact same armour between genders" thing that I remember from WoW?
    (Upon reveal) Believe me when I say that a LOT more skin could have been revealed. And she looks sorta like µ 12.
    Ooooh, goody! A fun new quest, desu-nya!! ^_^
    Oh hells to the yeah! New gadjets!!
    Hehe, foreshadowing. :3

Ep 19:
    Attack the goblins! Pew pew pew!
    Dem AOEs... :O
    Hehe, sadism~
    Oh, have the noobs become overconfident and are now trying to do something useful?
    Though, their abilities do look pretty cool now.
    I just noticed; all dem XP points they must be getting~
    I do like this fight on the bridge. And ugh, I always hated when no matter what spell combination and stuff you tried in WoW, you just couldn't beat a particular fight...
    Would have liked to predict that foreshadow on my own though. XD
    Never did remember revives working on NPCs.
    Lols, it's like CPR. XD
    "Still on cooldown." Bitch, please. From my memory, it's only the revives that you could use in battle that had a cooldown.
    Hmmm... dat promo thing... (also, what is that actually called, the "next episode on" thing?)

7. Mafiacow Obsessed Over Trophies

Ratings:
    +179 / 1 / -0
    Episode twenty, I liked it. My standard thoughts spam:

Couldn't help but laugh at the bard girl when she was crying.
    Liking this talk of revival explanation.
    Dat sadism~
    Hehe, that guy be blue.
    Oooooooooooooooooh, dis contract be sooooo fancy~
    That scene (contract, etc) was actually so cool.
    Pretty birdy~
    Silly princess can't comprehend sadism.
    That scene at the cathedral was all right I guess. And lols, the paw thing reminded me of the same sorta scene in Mayoi Neko Overrun!. XD

Thought for discussion: The contract he wrote up, do you think the same thing could be done for the reverse, for people who don't like not being able to die?

Question: How many more eps are there supposed to be, desu-nya?

8. Supernatural-Knight Asylum Game Master Moderator

Ratings:
    +608 / 4 / -6
    Bard girl, Mafia you're as bad with names as always I see. You should be able to remember her name now because of Rudy always calling her Miss Isuzu. I can agree about Crusty's sadism,  I was not far from taking a screen shot of that scene myself, amazing I want to see him battle more. Too bad that it seems like that particular battle ended.

The contract scene was amazing, not only did he change the rules of the land he completely screwed them over by making adventurer a sub class therefore allowing the revival to take effect. That huge tower of light as well, was that signalling that Shiroe used the fourth occurrence of world magic?
    And now Rudy is an official member of Log Horizon, so I'm wondering if Isuzu will officially join next episode now. I'm also curious as to what else Rudy's penalty may be for dying. He doesn't have memories of the real world so will he lose memories of his childhood?

About your question, I'm not sure but I'm thinking no. Rudy had to die once for the contract to take effect so if this would also be true it means they'd die and thats it after signing a contract. Also it takes a very high level scribe to which the people of the land don't have to write a contract like that, so I'm thinking it'd be impossible [unless they do simply seek death only].
    I'm starting to get the idea that all battle guilds will accept people of the land as members, to train them into actually tough opponents that can force back the goblins by themselves in the future.

About its episode count, it is confirmed for 25 at least, so that makes 5 eps. However upon looking into it, it appears that the manga is still ongoing [it started in 2010] so chances are it won't have an entirely conclusive ending and we could potentially see OVA's or perhaps a second season in the future.

9. Mafiacow Obsessed Over Trophies

Ratings:
    +179 / 1 / -0
    Lolnope, Rudy and Shiroe are lucky to have their names remembered. Quick question, that warrior guy's name is Naotsugu?
    Yeah, hoping another good battle's going to come up~

I'd so laugh if they denied Isuzu membership cause of being a noob. XD
    Another question; what will happen to Rudy if/when they fix the apocalypse thing? He doesn't have a body to go to?

Yeah, that's what I was getting at, people who can't take the no-death thing any longer.

Maybe I can accept it not having a full conclusion, as long as it doesn't throw loose ends everywhere. :p

10. OtakuSenseiHig Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    This show is getting really good again i can't believe people think it gets boring its rather interesting to me

episode 20 ahead

I freaking knew Rudy was a People of the Land it was so obvious from when the friending did not work also if he is now an adventurer how will he be viewed by the other people of the land and what will happen with his family and is it possible that he could be considered one of the Izumo knights?

11. Mafiacow Obsessed Over Trophies

Ratings:
    +179 / 1 / -0
    Stupid muck up with the uploading meant I had to wait another day to download. :p
    Ep 21:
    Wow, been a while since Nyanta and Akatsuki got some good screentime...
    Ooooh, yes! Please let that mean another good battle!!
    Oooh, spooky story from that lady~
    Almost forgot that this a global thing and not just Japan. I wonder if they're gonna "invent" planes any time soon or something?
    Oh, scratch that? They meant "still in Japan"?...
    Wonder where it's going with the princess.
    Poor Akatsuki, you're definitely not useless.
    Oh, fancy! Spread as a rumour. I wonder if that thing the people in the hall earlier was done on purpose like that too though.
    This feels nice, it's like the same feeling I had when I first starting watching the series. :3
    So... going by the preview, next ep is going to be focusing on character and/or relationship development?

12. Mafiacow Obsessed Over Trophies

Ratings:
    +179 / 1 / -0
    No posts in a week...

Anyaway, my thoughts on this week's ep:

Lols at the voodoo doll thing, and the Akatsuki desk thing. XD
    Aaaaand lols at Akatsuki freakout.
    Aaaaaaaaand the following scenes, this is turning out really good for what I thought would be a bland episode.
    Hehe, sadism at that Minori scene. What a nice way to slide into the current "Sadists" Avisig theme~ XD
    Yeah, over all, not a bad episode. Much prefer it to a few of those castle eps. ^_^

13. Kiri Retired staff

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    I'm sure Knight is liking this romance invading his anime (hehe).

Over this episode made me laugh a bit but I'm not sure what else there is lift to do as far as plot goes. What is the next thing that's going to happen? Will they ever try to "log out"?

14. Mafiacow Obsessed Over Trophies

Ratings:
    +179 / 1 / -0
    I’m sure Knight is liking this romance invading his anime (hehe).

Hehe, and there goes my sadism again~ What a perfect week for this avi theme. :3Over this episode made me laugh a bit but I’m not sure what else there is lift to do as far as plot goes. What is the next thing that’s going to happen? Will they ever try to “log out”?
    My guess, even though I'm going to hate it happening, is they'll introduce some massive plot thing last minute like relating to the "apocalypse".

15. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    I’m sure Knight is liking this romance invading his anime

Personally I think a bit of romance is good in just about any anime as long as it's done right. The problem is when it's thrown in there purely for the sake of having romance with no real effort or progress to it. What the hell is the point of reminding us character A likes Character B if they never do anything about it! Shonen is particularly guilty of this as many focus on the action and plot most of the time but always feel the need to add romantic subplots that rarely go anywhere. Rave Master is an example of it done properly
    In the end Haru and Elie get married also the romance between then is fairly important to the plot at a few points so the romance did go somewhere and wasn't pointless
    But if the writer doesn't want to focus on romance or if focusing on romance just isn't suited to that series then it shouldn't even be in the series in the first place.

With Log Horizon it's hard to tell if it's pointless or not but they at least seem to be handling it well. It doesn't really feel too cheap or lazily written and this show is more about character development and interaction so the romance aspect might turn out pretty well.

16. Mafiacow Obsessed Over Trophies

Ratings:
    +179 / 1 / -0
    Ep 23 (and how many eps do we have left again?):

Akatsuki... "I did that on purpose"... what??
    Awwwwww, just realised they abandoned that "*kicks Naostugu in the face* My lord, may I kick this pervert in the face?" thing long ago. :(
    Well, that thing with glasses lady kinda came outta nowhere, and I'm sure Super's going to be pleased with it. XD Sure is a quick throw in of all this romance stuff lately.
    Lols at the ad-break thing.
    You can see the Matrix, can't you, Minori?
    And only just now noticed the fights breaking out. Wonder what it's signifying...
    Yays, Nyanta moment~ =^_^=
    Lols at Akatsuki's outfit and the fuss she's making. XD
    Oh, now THIS looks like it's going to be interesting! :D
    Oh, and just remembered; I thought Akatsuki's voice has started sounding familiar these last couple of eps, so I AP'd it, and it turns out she's voiced by the same person who voices Hachikuji, go figure.

17. Supernatural-Knight Asylum Game Master Moderator

Ratings:
    +608 / 4 / -6
    I don't mind a bit of romance in good series as long as it is executed believably and doesn't take over as a main focus. It seems safe to say it won't take over whats left of the show, as for if its done properly only time can tell. I think Minori falling for Shiro is fine because it is similar to the scenario of the kids having a crush on their teachers from school [this is a cliche right?]. Akatsuki liking him is understandable because they are always together and shit happens. The other glasses character kind of concerns me though because like mafia said, how suddenly it was thrown at us. I'm not a fan of the unrealistic sudden jump especially from someone that is presumed to be older that has much less to do with him. Although it would appear that Marie like Naotsugu as well, why must it start bringing in so many romance vibes now?

About the rest of the episode, that new threat of destruction from an unknown force by arguments. What a scheme. It was obviously occurring because the focus was on them but to think it was to that degree, that attack method is amazing.
    I'm also liking the screen time of Rudy and Isuzu together, every time she thinks he's dog like I can't help but laugh.

I am definitely liking how this show is going, now to wait and see if they finish it with an open ending to allow for future seasons or finish it anime original. I'm hoping for an open ending as I'd like to see what happens next.

Mafia MAL has this at 25 episodes so we have 2 left, that doesn't sound like long enough to come to any real conclusion so I'm hoping you'll forgive it for [probably] ending openly.
    But Akatsuki is Hachikuji, I'm not sure what to think about that.

18. Mafiacow Obsessed Over Trophies

Ratings:
    +179 / 1 / -0
    "Why are they bringing in romance vibes now?" Maybe just to mess with you. ;) (Or sadism plus Haruhism)

Yeah, I wonder how they did it. Perhaps a new type of world magic?
    OH!!! Maybe THAT'S what the second flash was! And the guy arriving by boat could be from the place with the second flash!

I'm fine with an open ending, as long as it's not the kind with "Who are these new characters we've just introduced? Watch next season (which may or may not exist) to find out!"

19. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    “Why are they bringing in romance vibes now?” Maybe just to mess with you. [​IMG] (Or sadism plus Haruhism)Yeah, I wonder how they did it. Perhaps a new type of world magic?
    OH!!! Maybe THAT’S what the second flash was! And the guy arriving by boat could be from the place with the second flash!I’m fine with an open ending, as long as it’s not the kind with “Who are these new characters we’ve just introduced? Watch next season (which may or may not exist) to find out!”
    Most likely it will end like "and So Log Horizon and all the other residents of Elder tale will continue their adventures" which is fine since this anime never seemed all taht concerned with getting them all back home in the first place. Also given how the world they are in seems to be an alternate world or something rather than just a game (why the game system is in place in that world is a bit odd but whatever) it may not even be possible for them to return except for another spell like the one that brought them all there. Although it would be nice if the question about if they will ever return or not some day would be answered.

20. Keiichi-Morisato DJ Double Cheezy ~ Sakura Animé Radio

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    Take it how you will but Im not counting this as official

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2013-12-07/log-horizon-creator-holds-q&a-on-4chan/a/board