Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Log Horizon discussion

Discussion in 'SOS Brigade (Clubs)' started by Supernatural-Knight, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Well it looks like they have made dying a little more important. It takes days if not weeks to travel to a new area even with decent transportation. So if you die mid way through traveling you have to start all over again. Also it seems the NPCs are self aware and I wonder what happens to them when they die? Do they respawn as well and are all their memories intact?

I'm liking how this anime is handling things. It's not going "OMG LOOK! PEOPLE ARE DYING AND EVERYTHING IS SO DARK AND SERIOUS AND OMG THERE IS JUST SO MUCH DRAMA ISN'T THIS AWESOME!!!!!!" which is how SAO was at times. In fact it's actually more accurate to compare this anime to .hack. The tone is fairly similar and Elder Tale feels liked it could have been made by the creators of The WORLD (For those that don't know this was the name of the game world in .hack.). All we need is a malevolent A.I. or an A.I. virus that makes people go insane and the .hack connections will be complete. Plus in .Hack//Sign the MC Tsukasa's class was pretty much the same as Shiroe's class.

I'm not saying Log Horizon is copying .hack at all. These are more then enough differences to call each series it's own. But I'm definitely feeling some .hack inspiration in this anime and as a big time .hack fan I couldn't be happier with this.

2. Batosai Manslayer

Ratings:
    +264 / 7 / -0
    No need to spoil anything about .hack though.. I still wanna watch it.

I do agree that i'm liking how this anime is turning out. Would be a huge bummer if Shiro had to go all the way back and start over. I don't think the NPC's will respawn. Atleast not the same ones. In most games, players can respawn, but npc's can't.

3. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0

I do agree that i’m liking how this anime is turning out. Would be a huge bummer if Shiro had to go all the way back and start over. I don’t think the NPC’s will respawn. Atleast not the same ones. In most games, players can respawn, but npc’s can’t.

I'll make sure to put up spoiler tags if I mention any real spoilers. But remember the order of everything in that series can be a little tough to grasp so let me know if you need help. I know a lot about the series and I know how everything is ordered in the canon.

4. Lunar Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'll predict that the NPC's will re-spawn, but their memories will be wiped (or reset).

5. Batosai Manslayer

Ratings:
    +264 / 7 / -0
    Batosai wrote:

I do agree that i’m liking how this anime is turning out. Would be a huge bummer if Shiro had to go all the way back and start over. I don’t think the NPC’s will respawn. Atleast not the same ones. In most games, players can respawn, but npc’s can’t.

I’ll make sure to put up spoiler tags if I mention any real spoilers. But remember the order of everything in that series can be a little tough to grasp so let me know if you need help. I know a lot about the series and I know how everything is ordered in the canon.

Sure. According to Spor i should watch Hack Sign first.

6. shifter101 Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Just finished watching episode 3, so far I'm enjoying the anime,
    Pkers are more common in elder scrolls then in SAO ( I guess that's because ppl just respawn at the cathedral), they appear to be more cruel with their methods. But one thing I don't understand is why are they able to attack/kill the npcs, normally npcs are immortal (unless your playing skyrim or some game similar, never seen that happen in a mmo though)
    Also, does anyone else think they just put random english words that sound cool together and made the opening song or is that just me?

7. Batosai Manslayer

Ratings:
    +264 / 7 / -0
    What are you talking about? Isn't attacking npc's what most games is about? And no i didn't pay attention to the OP.

8. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    I’ll predict that the NPC’s will re-spawn, but their memories will be wiped (or reset).

But that is effectively just dying and being replaced since even if they are self aware their default selves are probably blank slates so without their memories they will lose any personal traits they might have developed. Of course this is assuming the NPC's are self aware but they sure seemed to be in episode 3.

What are you talking about? Isn’t attacking npc’s what most games is about? And no i didn’t pay attention to the OP.

No in most games NPCs are there to guide players and can't be killed and even if they can be killed doing so normally results in failing the mission since you just killed your guide or whatever. It's only in stuff like Skyrim where you can kill any NPC (Besides the kids no matter how annoying they get). But in an MMO the NPC's aren't kill able. I guess you could assume that this game is now so advanced it allows that but even then what would be the point? Do they even carry anything you can steal?

Also what I find a little strange is there is hardly any talk of trying to find a way out. Unless I missed something it seems like they have all just kinda accepted the game as "Their new reality" and decided to move on.

9. Batosai Manslayer

Ratings:
    +264 / 7 / -0
    Which NPC's are we talking about then? I didn't see any guides or i must have missed something.

And yeah that's kinda the weak point of this anime. You'd think the first thing you try to do is look for a way out and go back to the place you belong.

10. Kiri Retired staff

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    I don't really have much to say about episode three. All I really got from it was they progressed a bit further, explained how they can "call" other members, and introduced both the catboy and a new enemy.

11. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Which NPC’s are we talking about then? I didn’t see any guides or i must have missed something.

And yeah that’s kinda the weak point of this anime. You’d think the first thing you try to do is look for a way out and go back to the place you belong.

This actually reminds me of .hack again. In .hack//sign the MC Tsukasa is trapped in The World. Yet he makes no effort to find a way out. But in his case it was for a valid reason. He didn't want to return to reality and I won't mention the major reasons for this but if I remember right at the end of the first episode he starts at the ground and says he has no interest in that ludicrous world. So he didn't look for an exit because he liked the virtual world better. But here we are talking about thousands of people and most of them (Including our main trio) aren't as warped as Tsukasa was so even if they liked Elder Tale better than reality I can't imagine they'd like it enough to not pursue an exit.

12. M-theoria Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree, nothing really has progressed plotwise other then learning "this will be the enemy for the next several episodes". Stil loving that it feels like an MMO world, not simply a fantasy world that happens to be in a videogame ( take note SAO)

13. Kiri Retired staff

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    Episode 4 was okay. We got to see some fighting and learned a bit more about how the game works. I must know what Nyantan will revival in the next ep o_O
    Wolverine claws

14. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    well episode 5 was interesting. It is rather interesting that this "game" or whatever it is now seems to encourage independence from the system. Movies are easier to use by shouting them out rather than selecting them through the menu and food isn't tasteless is made by hand by someone with enough skill. Also it seems I was right that the NPC are self aware A.I. but we still don't know if they can be killed and what happens to those that do.

also why don't those twins just leave the guild? Unless this game has the worst guild system ever members should be able to quit. Plus they already mentioned guilds could be disbanded so again unless this is the worst system ever where everyone is stuck in a guild until the guild master lets them leave then there shouldn't be a problem. Even if they couldn't leave why not ask another guild to protect you?

15. Kiri Retired staff

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    ^Basically that

16. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Well with episode 6 it looks like the main focus of the plot is coming into play. The first 5 episodes were filled with a lot of exposition, character intros, etc. But now it looks like they are finished with all that and are ready to get the actual plot moving.

One thing I found a bit odd though. A few times they use the term "The old world" when reffering to the real world. Does that imply that there is no possible way to get back or that they have given up any notion of returning? This really seems to be how they are acting and it kinda bothers me a little. I don't want endless episodes of angst and depression that they can't get out but at least show us some attempt to get out or show us a reason that even attempting is pointless. Because as far as we have been shown everyone suddenly got ported without warning, went WTF!, tried to log out but couldn't, and finally just shrugged their shoulders and said "Oh well I guess we're stuck here". I know that realistically people probably would just give up and some point and try living out their lives in Elder Tale but people just don't give up THAT easily. I'm not asking for much just something that shows why Shiroe seems more concerned with bringing peace to a virtual town so that everyone can live there happily rather than trying to find a way out of the damn place. Am I alone on this?

17. Kiri Retired staff

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    Well I just got done with the 7th episode and it was a bit fun with the plot moving a bit more forward.
    My normal screenshots:
    I also have some speculation as to what may happen based on these two images
    http://puu.sh/5mpA6.jpg
    Based on those two images, I think he's planning to buy the Guild building. If he controls the building, he basically controls every guild and the members in them. Interesting plan if it turns out this way.

18. Supernatural-Knight Asylum Game Master Moderator

Ratings:
    +608 / 4 / -6
    One thing I found a bit odd though. A few times they use the term “The old world” when reffering to the real world. Does that imply that there is no possible way to get back or that they have given up any notion of returning? This really seems to be how they are acting and it kinda bothers me a little. I don’t want endless episodes of angst and depression that they can’t get out but at least show us some attempt to get out or show us a reason that even attempting is pointless. Because as far as we have been shown everyone suddenly got ported without warning, went WTF!, tried to log out but couldn’t, and finally just shrugged their shoulders and said “Oh well I guess we’re stuck here”. I know that realistically people probably would just give up and some point and try living out their lives in Elder Tale but people just don’t give up THAT easily. I’m not asking for much just something that shows why Shiroe seems more concerned with bringing peace to a virtual town so that everyone can live there happily rather than trying to find a way out of the damn place. Am I alone on this?

It is a bit odd that absolutely zero attempts at finding a way out has been shown but I think it is due to time restraints.  This show is 25 eps confirmed yes, but how do you have characters look for a way out until the point that they give up? I think if they tried it would either fall flat because they wouldn't have them explore enough or they would look for a way that long that we wouldn't of seen any plot develop until episode 10. It may seem like the easy way out to simply state that there is no escape but I think it was the correct decision. Since logging out was the only way to leave, since thats already been tried [and not even death is an escape]  the characters have fallen to depression much quicker. Remove comforts such as family and food and who wouldn't be giving up fairly quickly?

So once you've come to terms with whats happened you continue until you've found your own purpose, if that is bringing peace to Elder Tale then so be it. I think it is important to change the overall feeling of the game so Shiroe has found himself a worthy task to spend his time on.

That is an interesting thought Kiri, I didn't imagine buying that would be possible despite the line just before that screen cap. Using that line of thinking I'm now curious if buying a city means you become the mayor of it and basically have control of all residents.
    Whatever his plan we should expect nothing less from the tactician of the Debauchery Tea Party.

19. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Metazoxan wrote:
    One thing I found a bit odd though. A few times they use the term “The old world” when reffering to the real world. Does that imply that there is no possible way to get back or that they have given up any notion of returning? This really seems to be how they are acting and it kinda bothers me a little. I don’t want endless episodes of angst and depression that they can’t get out but at least show us some attempt to get out or show us a reason that even attempting is pointless. Because as far as we have been shown everyone suddenly got ported without warning, went WTF!, tried to log out but couldn’t, and finally just shrugged their shoulders and said “Oh well I guess we’re stuck here”. I know that realistically people probably would just give up and some point and try living out their lives in Elder Tale but people just don’t give up THAT easily. I’m not asking for much just something that shows why Shiroe seems more concerned with bringing peace to a virtual town so that everyone can live there happily rather than trying to find a way out of the damn place. Am I alone on this? It is a bit odd that absolutely zero attempts at finding a way out has been shown but I think it is due to time restraints. This show is 25 eps confirmed yes, but how do you have characters look for a way out until the point that they give up? I think if they tried it would either fall flat because they wouldn’t have them explore enough or they would look for a way that long that we wouldn’t of seen any plot develop until episode 10. It may seem like the easy way out to simply state that there is no escape but I think it was the correct decision. Since logging out was the only way to leave, since thats already been tried [and not even death is an escape] the characters have fallen to depression much quicker. Remove comforts such as family and food and who wouldn’t be giving up fairly quickly?So once you’ve come to terms with whats happened you continue until you’ve found your own purpose, if that is bringing peace to Elder Tale then so be it. I think it is important to change the overall feeling of the game so Shiroe has found himself a worthy task to spend his time on. That is an interesting thought Kiri, I didn’t imagine buying that would be possible despite the line just before that screen cap. Using that line of thinking I’m now curious if buying a city means you become the mayor of it and basically have control of all residents.
    Whatever his plan we should expect nothing less from the tactician of the Debauchery Tea Party.
    I agree but they could have tried to at least take 5 minutes to state this or something. With the way they did it it feels mysteriously left out. There is no mention of them trying to think if there is any other way out or any mention of them giving up. All we see is Shiroe try to log out once, give up immediately, and we never hear about any of it again. I think they went a little too far into the other extreme and instead of wasting too much time on going over escape attempts they didn't give enough.Plus they could have just made the hope of escape a minor sub plot. Like "We can't seem to find any way out so for now we shoud refocus our energies to getting by in this virtual world. But someday we need to find a way home". Even just saying that one line would be good enough. Instead we have everyone taking the situation unnaturally well and saying "Ahhh shucks. I guess I won't see my family or friends ever again". They even talk about the day they all got trapped like it's an irreversible natural disaster rather than something that has even a chance of escape. It really just feel too unnatural of a reaction and it feels a little distracting at times especially when they are making long term plans for Elder Tale without even mentioning the chance they may finally get out before the plan is complete.

20. Kiri Retired staff

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    8th episode done. Was interesting in a way. I can see some of the plan unfolding. I guess we'll have to see how this next meeting goes.