Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Higurashi - Anime Discussion

Discussion in 'Anime & Manga Chat' started by Sir-Maddy, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Kaede Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +450 / 0 / -0
    Ok cool. Umineko ended on so much of a cliff hanger, I thought I would ask.
    I still need to finish reading the Manga version. I can't remember the name of the one I was reading but one of them was when Rika was older and another one had... I think the name was Frederika. That's why I hope there will be more Higurashi no naku koronis out there in the future.

2. Roy-Blue Trophy Hunter Chat Moderator

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Haha, yeah Bernkastel and Lambdadelta's games in Higurashi have long since ended, but they can always create more stories from it. I mean they have cranking out more games for it, so they base more anime arcs on those, but the manga ended a while ago. So if you want to see the two witches duke it out in another game, Umineko is the way to go. It will also clear up the ambiguous reference to the witch's game that come up in Higurashi.

I don't want to say too much or I might spoil some Higurashi secrets to those who may not have finished it. But I could go on in spoilers, if you want.

I can tell you why Frederica looks like Rika. And I could also elaborate on the "game" they were playing in Higurashi. But it would be safer to keep it hidden like this.

3. Kaede Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +450 / 0 / -0
    Ahh I see. Frederika, is she a reincarnation from previous lives or a dead twin or something? If you don't want to answer, you don't have to.

4. Roy-Blue Trophy Hunter Chat Moderator

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    I don't mind it at all, I like that aspect of the story.

As you may or may not have gotten from the Festival Accompanying Chapter, or the last episode of Kai, or the off moments when Rika mentions Bernkastel, Higurashi is a game between two witches. In Umineko they go into more detail of the game, but basically it was a game to see who's magic was more powerful: Lambdadelta, Witch of Certainty, or Frederica Bernkastel, Witch of Miracles.

Lambdadelta's magic was that she could cause anything to happen with 100% certainty (or so it was believed before her match with Bernkastel), and Frederica's magic was that she can cause things to happen, as long as the probability isn't zero. The game was set so that Lambdadelta would rig the board and Frederica would have survive that June of 1983. But what they were using as a "board" in this case, was the human world.

That's where Lambdadelta cursed her pawn, Miyoko Tanashi (Mio Takano), and caused her to eventually kill Rika Furude, Frederica's pawn, with 100% certainty. Lambda's plan goes as it was meant to, but Frederica's power allows her to reset the board as many times as she wants. So over and over they play the game, until, of course, Frederica eventually wins. But she therefore proves Lambda's powers aren't exactly 100% and causes her to loose her title as the "most powerful witch in the universe".

This eventually leads to their interference in Beatrice's, the Endless Witch's, game in Umineko. However, it should not be mistaken that Rika and Frederica are the same person, even though Rika does allude to it a couple times. In fact, Rika herself makes an appearance alongside Frederica in Umineko to further prove that point.

I think I liked this aspect of the plot a lot more than the general story of Higurashi, so that is probably why I liked Umineko more, but it's still interesting.

#44 Roy-Blue, Feb 8, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  5. Kaede Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +450 / 0 / -0
    Ha... I actually did not recognised that. I think I must re-watch them all again... and definitely read all manga.

6. Kaede Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +450 / 0 / -0
    Anyone know if there is a second part to the live action of Higurashi no naku koroni? I think the ending is labelled Chikai...

7. Roy-Blue Trophy Hunter Chat Moderator

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Haha, yeah. Never a bad reason to watch good anime over again. Though I'm pretty sure sure Bernkastel only comes up in Kai and Rei. She even makes an appearance in the very end of the last episode of Kai, for a very brief moment, after the credits.

She uses her powers to reset the board and give Miyoko (Mio) a better life.

Also, yes, there should be another Live Action movie called Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Chikai, after the first one (that was just called Higurashi no Naku Koro ni). I never felt like watching them, to be honest, but I hear they don't really deviate from the story too much.

8. Kaede Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +450 / 0 / -0
    oh yeah. I remember that part.

The story line isn't that much different at all. There are some parts that are different but not major.

A needle went though Keiichi's cheek unlike the anime

Those sorts of differences. Sad thing is, the first part wasn't subbed so I had to rely on random words I knew to help mii through the film.

9. Kirbyfan66 Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    From what I hear, the movies for Higurashi are kinda narmy and silly. Are those comments true? I mean, the series is full of moments like those but it's not entirely silly.

I myself am a big fan of Higurashi, specifically the visual novels. I do like the animé, but out of curiosity, how many people here have went through the VNs?

10. Roy-Blue Trophy Hunter Chat Moderator

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    If you mean to call the games "visual novels", I have played few I could for the PC. They were pretty fun to play around with, I suppose. I only played them to try and find all the hints. The anime was far more convenient for getting the outline of the story, at any rate.

11. VeritasOdiumParit Cult of Personality

Ratings:
    +144 / 0 / -0
    Uhh, wait. There is a live action of Higurashi??

12. Kaede Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +450 / 0 / -0
    Yeah there is. I just haven't got my hands on the second half of it.

13. Enigma The man, the myth, the legend.

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I tried watching this. The art style/dub and slow moving story line made this one of about 5 anime I have ever dropped.

14. Kaede Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +450 / 0 / -0
    You've shattered Mii. *sulks in a corner.*

Haha! Anyways, I wouldn't suggest to anyone watching it dubbed. It could be Mii but the Japanese voice overs sounds sooo much better than English. Again, that could be just my opinion.
    As for the style, I did the exact same thing when I first saw it... But as I continued to watch it, I got over it. Which episode did you get up to?

15. Enigma The man, the myth, the legend.

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I think I made it to episode 3. Like episode 5 at the absolute most.

16. Kaede Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +450 / 0 / -0
    Oh, ok then. With the continuation into Kai, there's over 40 episodes. Oh well... Higurashi isn't everyone's style. XD

17. Enigma The man, the myth, the legend.

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I was drawn in by the violence but the actual show was just meeeeh. Sorry xD

18. Kaede Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +450 / 0 / -0
    Haha! I think everyone was. Who can cause that amount of blood with a baseball bat? Or who goes around putting sewing needles in people's food? Haha! Horror all the way! XD

19. Enigma The man, the myth, the legend.

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Another/Elfen lied are my general go to violence xD

20. Kaede Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +450 / 0 / -0
    Ooo there're pretty good to.