Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Higurashi - Anime Discussion

Discussion in 'Anime & Manga Chat' started by Sir-Maddy, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Znelson Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I personally really enjoyed the show, I've watched both seasons although I hope to see the 2nd season dubbed soon, I got so caught up if it I had to see the second season but switching to subs from dubs always throws me off. It had quite the amount of gore which I love, I also thought it was cool how they tied the different arcs together.

Although now if I ever catch myself scratching my throat i begin to panic a little :)

2. Wampa Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The second season being dubbed is rather unlikely to happen at this point. If i had known that the second season was only subbed when i started this i would of probably just started with subs but meh adapted to it. @Znelson same here with this neck scratching and whenever i think about wishing for something kyubey and his dickery come to mind

3. Sir-Maddy Finger Lickin' Good™

Ratings:
    +260 / 0 / -1
    After 8 months, 2 trailers and a lot of fangirling.
    I can now annouce that Higurashi Kaku, is available online, raw only, expect a sub to come out in the next few days.

4. Supernatural-Knight Asylum Game Master Moderator

Ratings:
    +608 / 4 / -6
    Right there with you Maddy, though you can minus the fangirling from my list. More Higurashi will finally be watchable, although how long for a decent sub to become available I am a little skeptical. Well hopefully soon. Just checked its duration, 50 min eps, hell yeah this should be interesting.

Rena+hatchet=great scene

I will be looking forward to seeing that.

5. Sir-Maddy Finger Lickin' Good™

Ratings:
    +260 / 0 / -1
    Apparently Rena is a complete badass this time.
    Maybe this will increase her popularity again.

6. Sir-Maddy Finger Lickin' Good™

Ratings:
    +260 / 0 / -1
    I few cute gifs from the OVA:

7. Sir-Maddy Finger Lickin' Good™

Ratings:
    +260 / 0 / -1
    I'm happy to announce that Higurashi Kaku subs are now available.
    They'll be up on anime sites soon, but the torrent was just released.

http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=475934

8. Wampa Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  9. Timekeeper Great Big Jerk

Ratings:
    +125 / 0 / -0
    I just finished Kai today and I'm planning on watching the rest when I'm done with class today, but I do have some questions for each arc. If you haven't watched Kai/read the manga/played the VNs, stop here.

{SPOILERS FROM HERE ON}

So, I don't know where to start, so I'll just go arc by arc:

"Spirited Away by the Demon" arc

1. With most of the things Keiichi is experiencing (e.g: eating the ohagi with the needle in it, almost being run over by the van, being chased by the Yamainu in the woods in the last episode of the arc), is most of that paranoia and hallucinations due to Hinamizawa Syndrome?

2. In this arc, which of the twins were present; Mion or Shion? I ask this because "Mion" shows a lot of demonic characteristics that only Shion shows in this arc.

3. When Ooishi investigates Keiichi's bedroom after Keiichi, Rena, and Sh/Mion have died, the needle and part of Keiichi's message is missing. Did the Yamainu take it?

"Curse Killing" arc

1. After Keiichi kills Teppei, he hears from Satoko that he is actually still alive. When he goes to affirm that Teppei is indeed dead by digging up his body and finds nothing, Ooishi finds him and wonders what he's doing. Keiichi most likely can't see the body because of HS, but why couldn't Ooishi? Because of HS or simply because Keiichi dug in the wrong spot?

2. When Keiichi goes to Satoko's house to see if Teppei is still alive, Satoko is in the bath with a fever for an extended period of time, counting. Is this because of HS?

3. When Keiichi and Satoko go to Irie's clinic, he finds out that Ooishi is missing. Is this because of HS or did Takano kill him like she did in the "Massacre" arc?

"Time Wasting" arc

1. When Rika is showing Akasaka around Hinamizawa, she uses her menacing voice to warn him to go back to Tokyo. Afterwards, she faints. Why does she do this?

2. Because Ooishi has been in Hinamizawa for an extended period of time, he should be infected with HS. When he retires, he leaves Hinamizawa (or leaves because of the disaster). Why is he not affected by HS if he has it?

"Eye Opening" arc

1. During the majority of this arc, Shion exhibits psychotic behavior. Is this because of HS or because of the supposed "demon" inside of her?

2. When Rika comes over to Shion's house for soy sauce, she attempts to inject Shion with a syringe. Does this syringe contain a remedy or the virus of HS? Also, according to Takano, if Rika dies, she is supposed to execute "Document 34" (in other words, gas all of the villagers). Why didn't Takano do so when Rika killed herself?

"Atonement" arc

1. At the end of the arc, the entire gang manages to come to their senses with everyone alive (save for Teppei and Rina), but the timeline is still reset. Why does it when Rika is clearly alive?

"Festival Music" arc

1. When Takano's (I forget her original last name) parents are killed, she requests to be adopted by Dr. Takano, but is refused. However, later on in the arc, her request is granted. Why is this?

2. When Takano is captured after attempting to flee the orphanage, she is brought back, into a bathroom, and supposedly tortured. I can probably take a good guess as to what torture it was, but enlighten me if I'm wrong: what did they do to her?

I may have other questions, which I'll either edit this post or make a new one.

10. VeritasOdiumParit Cult of Personality

Ratings:
    +144 / 0 / -0
  11. Heizengard AKA Cernel Joson

Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    A friend of mine told me the Kaku OVA wasn't very good. Then again I still have yet to watch Rei and Kira anyway xD

12. VeritasOdiumParit Cult of Personality

Ratings:
    +144 / 0 / -0
    I stopped watching after Kai. It suddenly became a comedy and no longer a psychological horror thriller..

13. Kaede Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +450 / 0 / -0
    I really loved how this anime is set out. I mean, with anime that goes back in time constantly, one would think it would get boring... But somehow they managed to change the scenes up without ruining the scene. Also, the artistic design of the characters make this anime look so childish but as you watch it more, you soon learn that this is no children's anime and that the children in the anime seem to have their own issues that they need to tackle. whether it's paranoia, obsession or troubles at home, these little guys (the characters) seem to make a fun adventure and a nice little story on friendship. Also, I just love al the characters in this Anime, If you took out even one character, the story wouldn't flow as great. I'm hoping i have watched them all and i hope they make more series based off the manga. Higurashi no naku koroni is the best! NIPAH!
    I THANK YOU FOR USING THE JAPANESE (Romaji) SPELLING FOR THIS ANIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I just hate the English version to this Anime. It is my most favourite Anime in the world so far but I absolutely refuse to watch the English version.

14. Kaede Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +450 / 0 / -0
    I might be a bit late to warn you, but if you haven't started watching Higurashi no naku koroni Kira yet, pre warning you, just don't take note of the first episode, it's a punishment game episode. All the rest of Kira is nothing like the first episode. So don't think Kira is all about the first episode because it's not. If you have already watch them then sorry for the late warning.

15. Heizengard AKA Cernel Joson

Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    I've seen the first episode and know that the other ones aren't like it. I just haven't been interested in Kira since it came out. I didn't mind the first episode, and after seeing it, knew to not take it seriously. I might watch it at some point in time.

16. Kaede Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +450 / 0 / -0
    Ok you should. They are adorable but strange at the same time. I downloaded them a while back then my friends stole my harddrive off mii for a while and they saw the first episode. They thought I was into that sort of stuff until I explained to them that the rest aren't anything like this and that I only kept this one to have the complete set. Haha! You should enjoy the weird plot that they have in the Kira ones.
    NIPAH! XD

17. Kaede Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +450 / 0 / -0
    higurashi_rika_furude_birthday_cake_by_meerkatgirl4321-d5zswpm.jpg
    For my next birthday, I should decorate my own cake like this ...just without the 16.
    (INSERT HIGH JAPANESE ANIME VOICE) Hauu, watashi wa keki ga daisuki desu, NIPAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. Roy-Blue Trophy Hunter Chat Moderator

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    I'm surprised this thread is seeing some action again after so long. Maddy and I used to make up 90% of the like 20 pages in the original thread, so it's nice to see more people interested in discussing it. The English dubbing wasn't too bad, in my opinion. Of course, the original will always be better, but they did a good job with it.

Now what I didn't like was the that they decided to stop with the first series. There's almost nothing to take from the first series. Most people, to this day, think "When They Cry is an anime about pointless killing". It takes away from the mystery aspect of the series, and gives people more questions than answer. But obviously creator did that with the subsequent series in mind. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai was designed to explain these mounting questions, but they decided not to go that far with the dub.

On top of that, the name very much irks me as well. "When They Cry" is a well enough translation of the name, but it leaves out the important part of the name. For those that don't know, "higurashi no naku koro ni" loosely translates to "when the cicadas cry", higurashi meaning "cicadas" in this case. So, obviously, when people shorten Higurashi no Naku Koro ni to "Higurashi", naturally, it would translate to "Cicadas". Now obviously, if they were going to translate it, "When They Cry" sounds a lot more ominous and mysterious than "Cicadas". But they could have just translated it to "When the Cicadas Cry" or, if they really wanted to, they could have just not translated the name at all.

But the name still stands as it is. And I would still be OK with that, it still sounds cool (the lack of reasoning just irks me, is all), but there is another thing that irks me. I believe I've lamented as much on the original thread, but I'll throw it back out there so other people can see it. Higurashi is my favorite anime only because Umineko no Naku Koro ni didn't blow over so well. Of the two series, I loved Umineko a lot more, so when Higurashi started getting hype, I had hoped Umineko would get similar love. But, long story short, it didn't. The animators scrapped the idea after the first series, and exactly like Higurashi, they cut out important plot points in doing so and left on a cliffhanger.

But unlike Higurashi, it was snuffed out in entirety there, not just for translation. And while Higurashi still continues here and there, they refuse to continue their parent series at all. But to add insult to injury, no one seems to want to dub Umineko either, and I have an inkling why (obviously it failing is the main reason, but another one). Umineko no Naku Koro ni would, no doubt, translate to When the Seagulls Cry. But, as we know, "When They Cry" was already taken by Higurashi. Surprise, surprise: it came back to bite them. Umineko would be able to take the same name with equal right. Now, they could use "When They Cry 2", but that wouldn't be correct either. So I just have a sinking feeling they just wont ever translate it, to cover up their embarrassment. And that makes me sad.

I really should have wrapped it up about two paragraphs ago, but I was trying to touch a bunch of points. So I apologize for the wall of text, but it's better than a bunch of posts. If it bothers anyone, let me know and I'll go back and put it in spoilers. That was lot of ranting, but I have a lot of mixed emotions with this particular anime. Let me know what you guys think.

19. Kaede Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +450 / 0 / -0
    It's alright. But I agree with pretty much everything you stated in those paragraphs. This series does have a lot of killing in it but if people don't like that then they shouldn't watch it. In fact, the plot of the story is very clear. This series is about friendship and it clearly shows that.
    I have a question to ask you though, as for umineko no naku koroni, do you know if they are going to make anymore episodes or is it now finished?

20. Roy-Blue Trophy Hunter Chat Moderator

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Haha, as much as I'd like to say that they might finish it one day, I know Umineko is done. It does leave off on a cliffhanger, however, because the game and the manga are meant to continue, but they're not going to make any more episodes. Though I don't want to get into that too much on Higurashi's thread, I still have a lot of "salt" from that show.

Ah well, there's always the manga, if the show ends up leaving you wanting. But it's a nice follow-up after finishing Higurashi. Maybe we can make a thread for it if you guys finish that too.