Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Guillermo del Toro Says Silent Hills Is "Not Gonna Happen"

Discussion in 'Video Game News' started by Sporadic, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    Sounds Like Silent Hills Really Is Cancelled

[​IMG]

Following yesterday’s news that Konami would be pulling Silent Hills teaser P.T. from the PlayStation Store next week, director Guillermo del Toro told the audience at a San Francisco Film Society event that his collaboration with Hideo Kojima is no longer a going concern.

The news came by way of a tweet from photojournalist Matt Hackney (via NeoGAF), who was in attendance at last night’s “An Evening with Guillermo del Toro” event in San Francisco.

Io9 Observation Deck contributor Remedios Varo was also on hand for the event and discussed the news on Twitter earlier today.

While del Toro’s comments don’t necessarily mean the Silent Hills project is completely cancelled—we’ll have to wait for official word from publisher Konami on that one—it certainly indicates that at least one of the driving forces behind the game is no longer involved. And with the current muddy relationship status between superstar game director Hideo Kojima and Konami, it’s likely neither is attached. Toss in an apologetic tweet from Silent Hills star Norman Reedus...

...and the game’s fate would seem to be sealed.

It’s crazy that such a well-received teaser as P.T. would ultimately lead to a dead end. It’s sad to think that soon all that’s left of such a promising project might be echoes of enthusiasm in a completely different game.​

2. BaconMan8910 Blue Bomber

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    The reason? Because Konami is Konami. "Hey guys, should we have a falling out with Hideo Kojima, cancel Silent Hills, and throw a wrench in two of our biggest franchises?" "Yes! Yes! Why has no one thought of this before?!? Promotion! Give this man a promotion!"

Sure, Silent Hills isn't technically cancelled yet. But come on. Do any of us really believe it's not cancelled? =P

I absolutely love the original Silent Hill games (1-4) and most of the pre-Lords of Shadow Castlevania games, but it seems like Konami has a pension for bad business decisions these days.

#2 BaconMan8910, Apr 27, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    Speak of the devil! @BaconMan8910

Konami said in a statement:

Konami is committed to new Silent Hill titles, however the embryonic ‘Silent Hills’ project developed with Guillermo del Toro and featuring the likeness of Norman Reedus will not be continued.

In terms of Kojima and Del Toro being involved, discussions on future Silent Hill projects are currently underway, and please stay tuned for further announcements.

4. Heizengard AKA Cernel Joson

Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    Ah I see. So they'll give Silent Hill to more unheard of companies. Next week I'm sure we're going to hear about Silent Hill Book of Memories 2. Also since Kojima is no longer going to be part of Konami, we can expecting the new Metal Gear games (yes, Konami said they were going to make more Metal Gear games just not the solid series) to be just as good as the newer Silent Hill games. Anyone ready for Metal Gear Homecoming?

5. BaconMan8910 Blue Bomber

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    "Colonel.. this is Snake. I'm in some sort of janky-ass hospital... someone smeared jam everywhere."

EDIT: I have no idea who this guy is. Kinda just stumbled across this video, but it may be worth a watch.

Also, just to sum up: "Konami will always be Konami, and when Konami Konamis, it Konamis HARD."

#5 BaconMan8910, Apr 27, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  6. shane_dalvin Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    This was a big bummer! The PT demo was pretty awesome and gave me hope for a new generation of SH. Quote from Konami on mobile games being the future!

“We will pursue mobile games aggressively. Our main platform will be mobiles. Following the pay-as-you-play model of games like Power pro and Winning Eleven with additional content, our games must move from selling things like “items” to selling things like “features.”
    “We saw with these games that even people who buy physical games are motivated to buy extra content. The success of Power pro especially has motivated us to actively push more of our popular series onto mobile than ever before.”
    “Gaming has spread to a number of platforms, but at the end of the day, the platform that is always closest to us, is mobile. Mobile is where the future of gaming lies.”
    “We hope that our overseas games such as MGSV and Winning Eleven continue to do well, but we are always thinking about how to push our franchises onto mobile there too.”
    “With multiplatform games, there’s really no point in dividing the market into categories anymore. Mobiles will take on the new role of linking the general public to the gaming world.”

7. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    Keep the PT demo as they removed it and it's not longer available for download. It immediately became a rare gem.

And that is starting to become the mentality for a lot of developers. Some companies can make a solid million a day with ads and pay to play features on mobile games. Pretty smart if you ask me.

8. shane_dalvin Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    It's true but sad. Times are changing. I don't even have a good mobile device. I have a cheap Tracfone, haha. I think the first Konami games I ever played were contra and zombies ate my neighbors. Damn I feel old.

9. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    Same for me, Contra was my first on NES. Not sure if you're much into RPGs but the Suikoden series was masterful.

10. shane_dalvin Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    My first RPG experience was FFIV and then FFX and now a days I'll usually play any I can get my hands on. I just noticed Suikoden 1 and 2 are on the playstation store so maybe I'll check it out. Which one is better?

11. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    I liked 2 more but 1 is really good too. They take place like 20 years apart with reoccurring characters showing up again in the second one. There's about 108 playable characters, tons of side quests, epic storylines. They're really quite great.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Wilhelm-von-HU Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    why silent hill pt got me so ready for the game not your not going to make it well shit man