Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Genres You'd Like To See 'Revived'

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by The7thSeal, Nov 25, 2015.

1. The7thSeal Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    It's a pretty simple question, albeit mildly ambiguous. Is there a genre (or genres) of game that you'd like to see make a resurgence, or at least reinvented.

The genre on the top of the list for me right now is the Mech genre. It's something ! truly got into only recently, but God damn are they fun to play. While there have only been a few franchises of note, with a few standalone games here and there, the differences in how the mechs look, how they feel, make each one unique. From Z.O.E's superpowered Orbit Frames to Lost Planet's rugged little VSs, they're all a delight.
    Sadly, there aren't that many mech games being made anymore, which is a shame because personally, I feel the genre has a lot of potential to evolve.

What about you guys?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Guts Black Swordsman

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    I agree, With you; now that From Software has killed off armor core and is focusing on souls based games the mech genre is seriously suffering. You'll be seeing less of the already flickering light of mech.

However, the genre that needs to be recreated is tactical espionage. Yes it's a shot at Kojimas Phantom Pain. The game could have been way better than it was and it fell short. However, very few games ever took the forumla for a stealth game too serious, I enjoy stealth games greatly and would love to see a resurgence of them.

3. Cpt_K3nny Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +288 / 0 / -0
    You know what a miss an old school turn base great story RPG man when was the last time their was a great turnbase RPG made..... I miss my old school Dragon Quests and original Final Fantasy's......

As for Mech wasnt TITAN FALL for XBOX was a big mech game that kinda of bombed didnt it?

And I agree with @JenovaCell a good tactical espionage game would be nice, where stealth is mean Key, Although Thief was not tactival espionage per say it was a very fun stealth game I though

• Like Like x 1
  4. Guts Black Swordsman

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    @Cpt_K3nny You know I definitely agree with you as well it seems the gaming industry is really doing away with turn based RPG's and shifting over to these dynamic hack and slash or auto battle games. Because less strategies are being employed to actually win in a battle. Just press 1 or 2 buttons and win. Even the new FF is dropping the turn based mechanic in favor of hack and slash. Though I enjoyed episode duscae, it felt less than reminiscent on the Final Fantasy series.

Don't get me wrong like every SQEnix game the voice acting was near perfect, the graphics were amazing, and you could definitely tell they put a lot of effort into the game. But it's just not the same greatness as VI, VII, VIII, and onward to XII. And XII, was an extremely dynamic turn based system. Type-0 although good just felt like a hack and slash game as well. I would love to see another Turn based Roleplay. Whether it be Grandia or DQ, because I remember playing Grandia 3 for ps2. It was one of my favorite turn based games, I sill have FFX and XII. I just can't talk bad about the timeless classics of my childhood. P.s I got to yunalesca when I was a kid then my ps2 shit the bed. :(

5. Cpt_K3nny Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +288 / 0 / -0

@JenovaCell I never technically owned a ps2 :( but somehow managed to play FF10 I dont know who i borrowed the machine from or the game ahaha but FF10 to me was very entertaining I actually did like it very much..
    As much as i like the episode duscae I thought the fighting left me with a lot to be desired, specially against the hounds where they would run away so they would be much harder to hit thats my thought on it but i still think it will be a great game considering they've been working on it since 2007 but i find rpg's now are mostly mindless hack and slash. I miss the strategy part of the turn base where you actually have to plan ahead in order to make your moves. although by saying this I will say The witcher 3 was a fantastic RPG absolutlee loved that game for a hack and slash but again I felt that one you had to plan ahead a bit by using potions and weapon enhencements..

Also I read that FF7 remake will not be turn base but most likely like episode duscae witch gives me some mix emotion... :)

6. Core Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +488 / 0 / -0
    Mech Warrior was my favorite. The third one, in particular, but the fourth wasn't so bad either, since for the first time I was able to pilot an Elemental and other microsized mechs. Then, there were big, bad@$$ 100 ton mechs duking it out with each other. Mech Warrior Online just isn't the same, probably because of all the things that had to be payed for, and that there was no instant action.

Speaking of online, I miss the good ol' offline singleplayer games. Titanfall would have been neat, but it was online only with a poor campaign. Seems like game developers are starting to think that the only thing that matters is multiplayer and internet connection. I am not able to do the constant internet, so that kills such games for me.

Man, I miss a good game with a great story. Now that I am older, I understand RPG games better. Phantasy Star 4 was a good one, and Star Ocean was not too bad either.Though it did lack turns, it was not always so easy.
    Titanfall was a neat idea, but ultimately failed, I think due to too much internet and multiplayer needs. If I were to find a hack that would allow an offline, singleplayer mode, I would take it.

And now for my general post...
    I wish that there were more shooters like Unreal Tournament. Big gunz were always my favorite, none of these games with 40+ guns that shoot the same thing, lead bullets. However, I do know that is rather old, UT type of games. The new thing are high mobility shooters, but I think it would be nice to combine the UT arena shooter with high mobility.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Cpt_K3nny Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +288 / 0 / -0

Yea Unreal tournament was awesome...... there is still some games out there like that Team Fortress comes to mind but your right an old school shooter with simple classes has gone the way of the dodo bird I think I still remember the first team fortress with the soldier rocket jump and shit those where the days I tried rocket jumping in COD black ops 3 and for some odd reason I died I dont get it!!! :) :p now I find a lot of these shooters are just being pumped out with no real innovation anymore I mean lets face it Counter strike, Unreal tournament and Original Team fortress that was innovation now its lets pump them out for money....

Altho... with that said I though Borderlands series for a first person shooter is pretty freaking kick ass game.... also I had such high hopes for destiny but that game left me down with its lack of story and repetitiveness. altho i heard Taken King is ALOT better but i was quite desapointed with that one...

8. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    FPS, it's been beaten to death and needs a revival :p

Alright I'll get serious. Here's one from left field, how about the Fps\Strategy game hybrid?
    Huh?

Here's a tidbit from the past. There was a really cool game called Battlezone for the PC. You commanded hovertanks on different planets and the way they operated was very responsive to your controls. Sort of like a like a shooter (If you played Descent you might have an idea). That's not all there was though. See you had to take out the enemy tanks but of course you couldn't do it by yourself.

Then build a base! With the onscreen hud and very neat display you could coordinate base construction and shoot tanks at the same time! It was incredibly intuitive, you get the hang of it very quickly.

It's more then base building, it's a squad based combat too. The base you build allows you to construct ally tanks so you can take them with you and strike the enemy. With a little practice and coordination you could complete your missions behind your meatshield teammates.

Enemy blew you up?
    Auto eject! You can fight on foot too! (just don't expect to actually do anything with that peashooter). Instead you come equipped with a sniper rifle. With it you can snipe the pilots out of the enemy tanks and steal them for yourself!

Or if that's too hard for you, you can still order one of your lancemates to eject out of their tank and give it up to you. They'll walk all the way back to base on foot leaving you feel guilty for stealing their ride :cool:

What a good old game, it really had a bit of everything. Even some stealth elements spamming that sniper ability in one of the missions.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Core Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +488 / 0 / -0
    I decided to look that game up, and found out, to my surprise, I actually played that game. Both the first and the second. I was little when I played them, so I was unable to actually enjoy it. However, now that I know the name, I can now try it out and enjoy. Thanks!

10. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    Always happy to point out some of my older PC games. If you will play it then you may want to check the unofficial 1.5 patch (not 1.8, it's older. I know, weirdness with the mod community. Such is the life with old games)
    Simple graphic update, nothing major but probably would make the game run on a modern computer.

I got another one, with the arrival of Star Wars Battlefront I just remembered a game that would really need to be brought to life again. I'm talking about the old X-Wing\Tie Fighter\X-Wing Alliance flight sim.

We need a proper flight sim, I'm not talking about the arcade shooter (Although I love Rogue Squadron)
    There's word about such things starting to pique some interest again but I haven't really seen anything concrete.

Now that I think about it we could use more simulators in general. It's niche but it has interested parties somewhere (like me). My joystick is collecting dust over here. Heck with the very nice console controllers these days, the lack of a flight stick isn't an excuse anymore.

11. Core Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +488 / 0 / -0
    I never go to see the X-Wing flight sim. There is one combat light sim I really like. It's called Fighter Ace. I tried the second and third, not the first. It is a WW2 air combat simulator, quite neat. Aircraft take damage in various ways, usually realistically. The only real problem is when you lose landing gear, gun racks, and rudder, which amounts up to a certain damage that forces the plane to be doomed and lose control. I really liked it. Perhaps you could try it. The demo itself has a ton of aircraft.

As far as simulators go, I hate all of these ridiculous simulators that are being made. I like physics, and I could probably play those sims for hours, but some are just ridiculous. Rock Simulator and Goat Simulator.

12. dedseed1 Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Not a genre, but I miss Asteroids. Would love to see a reboot with original controls, but modern graphics.

13. Core Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +488 / 0 / -0
    I remember playing that one on a Windows 95 computer. Also, I tried it on the PS1, the remake of the game at that time. Simple, but fun.

Speaking of something similar, there was also Space Invaders. Sure I liked the classic one, since bunkers could break piece by piece, but there was a remake on the PS1. Would be nice to see a much more modern version of both.

14. sleipmon Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Where to begin.

The Mech Genre, non-micro based strategy based games, not a genre but I'd love to see Gotcha Force 2.

15. Core Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +488 / 0 / -0
    Like Mechwarrior? Definitely need another on of those, not the online one.

I wish that the high-profile, gib-blasting, balls-to-the-wall explosive action like the old Unreal Tournament or Quake 3 games were still popular.
    I just can'take compete with CoD and class-based shooters now.
    Maybe, in part, because you can't dodge bullets and it just depends on who sees who first.