Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Ga-Rei: Zero Discussion

Discussion in 'SOS Brigade (Clubs)' started by Sir-Maddy, May 22, 2013.

1. Ovyda The Phantom Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    Ovyda wrote:
    @RodRule yeah Bato thought you meant the guy in the end together with Kagura.

I like him too, but he was used greatly imo. Him killing off was one of my favorites parts. It already showed to me that this anime is not afraid of killing people easily. That’s what most anime’s lack… they are afraid to kill. They take ages to kill someone…

Also I am a huge fan of anti hero kinda chars like Lelouch and Light. Yomi kinda reminded me of that… she’s not anti hero, but it kinda reminded me like it.

@Batosai the first sentence was my assumption that you were talking about the guy at the end. But 2nd paragraph was about the guy at the beginning.

2. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Ovyda wrote:
    @RodRule yeah Bato thought you meant the guy in the end together with Kagura.

I like him too, but he was used greatly imo. Him killing off was one of my favorites parts. It already showed to me that this anime is not afraid of killing people easily. That’s what most anime’s lack… they are afraid to kill. They take ages to kill someone…

Also I am a huge fan of anti hero kinda chars like Lelouch and Light. Yomi kinda reminded me of that… she’s not anti hero, but it kinda reminded me like it.

I tend to not like when important characters die. Because if they are important you've gotten to know them and like them to a certain degree. So it sucks when they die especially if you really liked them. However what I hate is an author who is afraid to kill off characters yet insists on "Fake killing" so that they can have all of the suspense without losing the character. If no one but background characters have died for the entire series what are the chances a main is going to die now? Not very. Yet writers actually think we are that easy to fool.

What's that Writer? That character who fell off a cliff actually survived somehow? Oh man you really had me going......not. Fake killing is okay maybe once or twice at most. It is even more okay if real death has already happened in the series as it takes away the notion that it is automatically fake. But some series really abuse it and should just learn that if you aren't ready to kill a few people off stop pretending like you are going to. People only fall for it so many times.

3. Ovyda The Phantom Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    I can't remember any scene about a char felling off a cliff and surviving right now... so I assume maybe you aren't talking about Ga-Rei: Zero in this case?

I see we are different. Well in my opinion when a writer shows he's not scary to kill important character, it makes the anime more unpredictable. In like every fight you are prepared for someone's death, it kinda thrills my blood, while when FT chars fight I am just waiting to see some ridiculous moment how they will boost their power use enormously strong magic and yet the opponent just get's K-O. Not even mentioning how they don't lose any arms or legs... Just look at Naruto and One Piece how they dared to kill off important chars and the story just got better!!! It's called progress of the story. Less predictable, the better.

Btw, I really want to ask people to use @ when quoting someone... I don't check all forums sections, so I'll miss some good discussions. So please don't hesitate and use it, as I want to see responses but I can't be asked to look at every thread I posted something...

4. RodRule Duct Tape is the answer to all life's questions.

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Oh now i'm not as confused and I did not know that the guy at the end was the MC in the manga I thought he was in the spin off.

5. Batosai Manslayer

Ratings:
    +264 / 7 / -0
    RodRule wrote:
    Oh now i’m not as confused and I did not know that the guy at the end was the MC in the manga I thought he was in the spin off.

@RodRule, nah Kensuke is actually the real main char of Ga-Rei, or atleast that's what i think after 2 chapters. It all starts with him being able to see ghosts and stuff and then he meets a girl who kills such things and saves his life a couple of times from dangerous ghosts he encounters. This girl is ofcourse Kagura. (in case you're going to read the manga, i doubt this is a spoiler since it's even in the manga description on MAL).

6. RodRule Duct Tape is the answer to all life's questions.

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Ya going to start on the manga later today but in the description of the spin off it says he is in it so idk maybe he is the main character in it and a side character in the spin off.

7. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Ovyda wrote:
    I can’t remember any scene about a char felling off a cliff and surviving right now… so I assume maybe you aren’t talking about Ga-Rei: Zero in this case?

I see we are different. Well in my opinion when a writer shows he’s not scary to kill important character, it makes the anime more unpredictable. In like every fight you are prepared for someone’s death, it kinda thrills my blood, while when FT chars fight I am just waiting to see some ridiculous moment how they will boost their power use enormously strong magic and yet the opponent just get’s K-O. Not even mentioning how they don’t lose any arms or legs… Just look at Naruto and One Piece how they dared to kill off important chars and the story just got better!!! It’s called progress of the story. Less predictable, the better.

Btw, I really want to ask people to use @ when quoting someone… I don’t check all forums sections, so I’ll miss some good discussions. So please don’t hesitate and use it, as I want to see responses but I can’t be asked to look at every thread I posted something…

@ovyda : Yeah I was talking in general. Just any case where a series fake kills characters and you KNOW the aren't really dead just because it's obvious yet the author makes a big deal of it like he thinks he actually fooled you.

I know what you mean but there are more ways to make a series unprecitable besides killing off good characters. One of the nice things about a series is that even if you know what is or isn't going to happen you don't know the how or why. If a series can manage to throw a good twist into the how or why then it is just as unpredictable and entertaining as a character's death. Now there are times where I agree that it was needed. Sometimes the story just needs a real death to give things a real reason to progress. One piece and the war of the best is a good example. That was probably needed. But I still don't like it in the long run and I don't like series that do it a lot.

8. Ovyda The Phantom Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    @Metazoxan Well I just need emotional and hatred stuff from anime's. Someone died? Means someone might seek revenge or they will show us some sad memories and etc. it will be different than usual coming to the battle no one dies and everyone is always happy... I need negative emotions too. I know it's wrong, but I expect anime's sometimes to be more realistic. So far One Piece, Ga-Rei: Zero, Naruto Shippuuden, Death Note, Code Geass and few others live up to my expectations.

I hate FT and Bleach... one is the most stupidest with power ups, the other one brings back every "dead" character... Not that I hate anime's in general, but I hate how they are too much predictable.

9. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    @Ovyda I know what you mean and I agree to a point. I'll start with your Fairy Tail comment. I completely agree. I enjoy the characters in fairy tail, the battles look great, and the plot is as good as just about any other shonen (A few flaws and stupid parts but okay overall). But nearly every fight is won by Stupid temporary power ups. That is the kinda thing filler arcs do so that the power ups don't carry back into the actual plot. But Fairy Tail has natsu pulling some kinda temp power up every final battle. I don't think Natsu has won a single fight (Not counting ones against grunts) without some kinda help. This itself wouldn't be so bad if at least he learned a new way to use his own skills from the help. Like after eating the goalden flame and using that secret art he could use a weaker version of the secret art with his normal flames. But no after each fight it's like the power up never happened. The lighting power lasted a little longer but I don't remember seeing it at all during the games so I'm guessing it just took longer to go away. But just having him take a little something from each battle does adds up in the long run and lets a character grow. Natsu rarely shows any proper growth as a character. But they don't have to kill people off to make the fights more interesting. Although I kinda wish the master would just die already considering how they keep talking about his time ending soon. But a way to make things interesting would be to let the bad guys win but have that vistory not require a main characters death. The bad guy wins and the hero's have to go through hell to try and stop him and maybe..... they never fully beat him. Maybe they prevent a worst case senario but he still gets what he wants. That doesn't happen to often in shonen unless the "bad guy" is actually just an anti hero.

But back to the real topic. The point is death isn't the only way to make things interesting and unpredictable and that is what I want to see. Just killing off characters to say "Look we did something unpredictable. Guess who may or may not die next?" is a lazy way to be unpredictable. Rather some writers need to think about other ways to break off the beaten path. Even if the end result is generally predictable get there in a unique way or make a new variation on that end.

10. Ovyda The Phantom Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    @Metazoxan I am with you on every word you said. Especially about master's death. I like him and all, but his death would certainly be a new beginning and possible development of the characters. It could be a turning point to their growth. Just imagine new master and all those emotional moments, even flashbacks would play an important role, but now when it comes to this points when viewers start to talk about it before it happens(if it ever will happen) I am sure it won't affect us that much as it would have been like 50 episodes ago.

I was about to write another wall of text paragraph but then remembered that we are off-topic and kinda spoiling some stuff... does spoiler tags already work?

11. Batosai Manslayer

Ratings:
    +264 / 7 / -0
    yes it does. It always has i thought?

And i just wanna say i agree about Makarov's death. We already had a new master but Makarov came back and even first master came back. Kinda stupid.

12. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    @Ovyda Yeah they do work I just kinda forgot to use them. Also in the interest of continuing this conversation How about a new thread so that we stay out of the way of the actual anime discussion?

http://dubtopian-review.eu/topic/death-and-its-place-in-anime/

@Batosai
    That just gave me a cool idea. kill Markarov and have the first master take over. how awesome would it be for Fairy Tail's master be a ghost that only members can see? Fairies are supossed to be mysterious and hard to find creatures so it would be kinda fitting to have an almost fairy like master. It's probably not going to happen but wouldn't that be cool?

13. Natsuru-san Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Here is everything I have to say for each ep and then some for Ga-Rei: Zero
    Warning spoilers.

Ep 1: The characters are nice. I like them. I’ve heard that same VA’s voice before for one of the characters, it was the major or whoever he was in Heaven’s Memo Pad, the one who was so into military or army and was able to set up security cameras. That looks like a dinosaur and I REALLY like the girl on the bike as well as the girl with the sword and wait. What the hell!? WHAT THE HELL!? This better make sense with the next ep. I mean all the characters that I liked just got killed except the girl with the sword.

GREAT! Just read mal and it says this anime is a prequel to the manga Ga-Rei and the anime Aired on Oct 6, 2008 to Dec 22, 2008 which means there is more than likely more to the story that we’ll never get to see unless we read the manga. Whelp. This had BETTER make sense and not be a waste of time and so on. ^_^;

Ep 2: WHAT THE HELL!? Ok start making sense darn it! >_< I like that girl with the sword a LOT less now. More characters introduced and killed off. Ai ya. Really I’m liking ths show less just thinking about the fact that this may very well never show us the ending do to the manga thing. -_-

Ep3: Whelp. At least two times I said to myself what the hell happened to her to make her like that? I like her for who she “used” to be which was shown in this ep. I also like the other girl with the sword more now.

4. o.o Pocky Yuri! ^-^ Wait, didn’t Maddy have that scene as a gif in her sig? And yeah, guy deserved that kick. “What? Why is it ok for the mow hawk to watch?” “Because he doesn’t bat for the same team.” And more said followed by “Oh come on man! Not cool.” XDD Now THAT was funny and by far the BEST scene so far as a whole. (Meaning the Pocky Yuri too) Ok, back to the ep again. And finished. Finally an OP & ED theme song and you know what. I really like this show now and those two girls but now I’m conflicted with how she was in the 1st 2 eps. I really wonder what happened to make her like that though.

5. The plot for this ep was predicable but I rather enjoyed this ep. ^-^ Trying to get those two together, the romance, it was nice. Although I admit what he said about her perfume was quite insulting. I admit that certain types don’t smell that good but jeez, talk about one insult after the next from him. He kinda deserved that coffee thrown on him, just not hot. Though I also know from watching Inuyasha and something else how sensitive the nose can be to certain smells, still, well I’ll just say this, that sure got out of hand more than I thought it would. Thank gosh for the boss coming in when she did. (As someone usually does) I am surprised by that kiss they had at the end there, wasn’t expecting that at all. But come on, she loves that girl she calls her sister. That’s why the perfume, make up and acting strange. I also like that white haired female. (Jeez I need to start paying attention to their names more, let’s see, Yomi. Nara brothers and, Master Michel, that’s it atm. (Michel only because the name is on the sword) Lastly on this ep, I do wish they’d make up their mind. I mean the relationships here. Yomi and the girl act like sisters but then lovers at times, then there’s the two who are engaged to each other (Yomi I think it was) and when those two are arund the other girl (The one with the name Michel on the sword) they look like and treat her like their her parents and even she acts like their kid or something. It’s confusing.

6. This ep was, well. Not really much to talk about. It “appears” as though that white haired girl has been killed but something tells me that’s not the last we’ve seen of her. Also, those butterflys and that boy were in this ep as they were in the 1st two, already figured they played a major role and now the question here is, why were those same butterflies with Yomi or that girl in the 1st 2 es?

7. I was right. That white haired girl wasn’t killed after all. I don’t know why and I shoulda been more understanding but when she kept saying sorry over and over again it just pissed me off. It further pissed me off when her friend called her a murderer and all that went down in that scene. I feel for the other girl who lost her father in this ep though.

8. Wow, just wow. I really disliked and was mad at the white haired girl until it was revealed she was being controlled. I feel sorry for what happened to her in the end there. Also, I think I now have my answer as to what happened to that girl in the 1st 2 eps, she must be being controlled by whatever/whoever that boy is. Wait, there was something after the ED song. No way. Dang that doesn’t look good and it probably confirms what I just said.

9. This ep was touching both in a good way as well as a bad way. Really it’s not right what happened to Yomi. Oh and finally I have memorized the girl’s names.

10. Yup I was right. This ep explains almost everything that happened in those 1st two eps. Not much else to say since it covered those 2 eps for the most part though while covering the other half as the name of this ep says.

11. This is so terrible. Why does it have to be like this? Not much else to say here.

12. A sad ending. Nuff said.

Over all: This certainly isn’t a master piece imo. I honestly kept hoping for things to get better but they never did. Yomi was killed. Kagura had to kill Yomi and their sisterhood, the time they shared together and so on was all taken from them. Sure in the end Yomi became herself again but by then it was too late. There were things that were never answered in the anime such as who that team was in the 1st 2 eps that Yomi killed and if you spotted that guy & girl who rode that bike in those 1st 2 eps in one of the later eps where they pass by Yomi and Yomi gets off the bench as if she knows them but that was the end of that scene and the manga might answer these unanswered questions but the fact remains it’s doubtful we’ll ever get to have the rest of the story in anime form which quite frankly sucks. I do suspect Yomi might still be alive but who knows. Just look what that white haired girl endured so it’s possible Yomi might still be alive. Really this was a good anime but also a let down for how things went down and so many characters being killed off and their lives ruined and all thanks to whoever that kid with white hair who has a bane stone for his eye was. Plus what he hinted at there makes me think Yomi might still be alive but you know he’s going to try and mess up people’s lives again at some point. I give this anime a 7.5 or an 8.0, not sure what to give it just yet. Btw, that Pocky scene was without a doubt one of the best scenes in the show.

Here is the manga info for anyone interested.
    http://myanimelist.net/manga/1102/Ga-rei
    http://myanimelist.net/manga/12124/Ga-Rei_-_Tsuina_no_Shou

14. shifter101 Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    shoot, i'm late the voting for the next anime already started, well i was busy and was only able to marathon through Ga-rei zero over the weekend, anyway i'll keep my review small and simple....

I was confused through the first few episodes since in the 1st ep, all of the characters were killed off, i thought they were MCs, after that another death in ep 2 (atleast it seemed like that) , besides that i really liked the show and the ending was tragic but relevant to the "would you kill someone you love for love?" question, i think the writer choose a good ending overall.

i pretty much liked both characters Yomi and Kagura (and Noriyuki with his pipe foxes). I would give it 9/10 , in my opinion people who do not mind the MCs being killed should watch it [and if you do, watch it anyway ;) ]

i do have one question is the backstory of the guy in the 1st episode , the one on the bike, mentioned in the manga?

15. Ovyda The Phantom Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    @Batosai you started reading the manga, mind answering ^His question?:D

16. shifter101 Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    (no need to mention twice) but if you can answer the question plz answer without any spoilers, i plan to read the manga in about 2 weeks, when i am no longer busy

17. Batosai Manslayer

Ratings:
    +264 / 7 / -0
    I dont know yet. I have only read 2 chapters and so far, no.

18. Sammy Madison Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I have it on DvD.... When everyone has seen it... Then we can fully discuss it...

19. Natsu Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    Wow, didn't thought someone would reply to an old thread like this one, you're about a year late but who cares about whether you're late or not, you were interested

20. Sammy Madison Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I join the JDO Monday night... I am trying to understand and learn how the clubs work....

^_^;

Im sry for being late.... I didnt know it was an old thread... I just found a thread and posted on it.... oopps...

#40 Sammy Madison, Apr 14, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2015