Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Reviewed Eh, Notification Option For Reported Broken Links?

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by darkkarasu, Aug 17, 2017.

?

Push notification idea for reported links!

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. darkkarasu Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0

Can't you add an option to send a notification via username? Example, if I fill out a report and select forum user name as a contact.
    then I could possibly be able to get a notification bubble when I log in with a status update which you could probably just make one (Fixed). And it would only show up if it was solved... I mean it sounds like a bit of work but I don't really see it being much of a security risk... more of a feature and a possible way to bring more users to the forums? If you included a sign-up link option I guess...

I know reporting a broken link is handled via third party site.
    But basically what I am proposing is a 3rd party or "another piece of software/code" option that allows you to get a fix notification under the alert flag on the forums assuming A. if the person reports with username B. has an account. If said person who reported the link put in their forum user name..?

I mean a username is practically public info on the forums... so just using a user name for contact shouldn't really be a threat to security. I'm pretty sure a simple push notification code could probably do this... Kinda similar to the @darkkarasu feature that was added here to the forums.

But I guess you would have to have a check box that says I accept the term and conditions etc.. or something I'd imagine for that option to be viable, but no one really reads those anyway...

Eh, maybe I should just post this under ideas subject topic thing...

Option A email outdated no one really leaves contact...
    Option B Forum user name = push notification for fixed when done. To avoid spammers simply set the default preference on the forums to off and allow the user to manually enable this "Feature" Accepting term conditions etc... Or better yet after the fix notification has been sent simply have it auto default back to off. And if it was reported with username once completed to have it ask hey did you report a broken link? Yes or No for security check..?:k_huh?: To simply avoid spammers. Idk hardly much work involved I'd imagine... I need to revise this and refine the idea a bit more before you'd consider it...

Summary; if it was implemented it would probably be a less headache way than compared to the ever growing out dated email system... It may bring the forums more traffic but whether it's just to check status will yet to be determined. I don't really see they're being a security risk if it's just a simple push notification. Add an option to not receive this by default under user preferences to avoid spammers... simple...

Or instead of using software perhaps just have who ever looks at the reports and sees a username as contact
    do @username then with an easily made up forum code the example moderator could forward a fix notification instead of having to PM the person. Idk just trying to add a quicker less painful way than emails...

Idk about anyone else but I get a lot of emails... trying to find 1 email is not easy... if I could get a notification whether it be a special option under the forum's with terms and conditions added I'd use it...
    Like if I need to setup this feature by agreeing to things or verification thingy to set it up then it'd still be better cuss I'd only have to set it up once to receive the notifications...

lol, I'm tiered I should revise this tomorrow...
    i don't even know what i'm saying ignore me...
    it's probably stupid anyway...:k_huh?:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Vashnik Guest

『   』
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    As explained in the Download Site announcement:
    JotForm is 3rd party software/service. If they don't have notification control options, we can't implement one for it.

However, the use of forum usernames is possible, but what if several people report the same content as broken and every single one of them wanted a "push notification." The only way that is possible is the forum administration panel's "Alert Users" and filling out a search criteria to alert specific users, without naming users (which would result in one user getting notified at a time). This would create much more work and a delay in more important work just for the convenience of being told "it's been fixed" which is really just wasted resources at that point.
    Lax usually gets the reported content fixed within 24 hours of getting the report and if it's not her, then someone on her team who is just as quick. Were this like some other sites, where the track record was all over the place and it was less likely to be fixed that quickly, then I could see a need to push for some type of notification system, but at this point from how JAN works, it's just more time consuming for you to check for notifications and then check the downloads/streaming again, when you can just skip checking notifications altogether and go straight to checking if the content works again. It's far more time consuming for Lax to find out who all wants to be notified, draft the notification so you understand what you reported and that it was fixed, then move on to the next series that needs to be fixed (wash, rinse, repeat). The time spent in setting up notifications that can pile up and decrease the amount of anime Lax and her team ends up fixing.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    We promise there will be a better method for reporting anime in the future. Reports and requests needed to be moved off the forum immediately and that was the quickest, most secure, option at the time.

• Like Like x 1
  4. darkkarasu Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Newer idea

Perhaps simply adding a page on the downloads site that says reported broken links? And shows a list so people know if it's been reported/fixed yet?

Maybe implementing a xtra public page could be more beneficial than a push notification? Then people could just check without having to sign in etc... + it'd save the entire hassle of replying back to said reported person.

Idk I just thought some feed back would help get a good idea goin... I'm sure theirs a better way I just haven't thought of it yet...

(
    (Refined original idea for forum usernames) Ver2.0
    I dunno if I understand the alertuser system issue fully or not... so forgive my nieve and feeble attempts at ideas. But I will keep pitching them just in case one peaks your interest. :k_happy:

Simply have it set if link data base = already reported, the user gets msg on the site saying already reported, would you like to accept a fix notification for it?(This adds said user to the list if Yes) or No. =Username if yes, ignore if no.

At that point, all you'd sorta need to do is add some cross reference code/database to check if reported link = already reported link to enable this handy little notification msg about a fix notification msg...

building a database of links may be a bit time-consuming...
    Eh, my brain hurts but I think it's because I a simplifying it... or trying to... :arisu:

#4 darkkarasu, Aug 18, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2017