Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Crystal Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Anime & Manga Chat' started by Natsuru-san, Jul 5, 2014.

?

If you watched the original anime, which is better, ep 1 of the original or ep 1 of the new anime?

Poll closed Jul 15, 2014.
  1. Ep 1 of the original

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Ep 1 of the new anime (Crystal)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Both are equal

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. I didn't watch the original anime or didn't see ep 1 of the original anime but watched the new one

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  5. I watched the original anime but didn't watch the new Crystal anime nor do I plan too

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I have never watched either of the Sailor Moon anime nor do I plan too

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Sir-Maddy Finger Lickin' Good™

Ratings:
    +260 / 0 / -1
    Because they thought it'd be a great idea to bring back Kotono Mitsushi to play Usagi.

2. Nimander God of Calamity

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    lol. Pretty much the worst Idea ever. Will turn most sub fans to the dub... Only to hear the deep Monica Rial voice and die.

3. Sir-Maddy Finger Lickin' Good™

Ratings:
    +260 / 0 / -1
    >deep Monica Rial
    What?
    This isn't Senran Kagura, she's not even in Sailor Moon.

4. Nimander God of Calamity

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    I was just using that as an example... Since she kinda ruined Champione for me.

5. ReiAyanamies Guro Queen.

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    I barely was able to get through the first episode. Like you, the CGI really turned me off of it. As well as the new art style. I honestly feel like they look emaciated. All in all, I'll probably not continue on with the series.

6. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    I don't like how their faces almost look like dolls. It's just such an odd style and is so distracting.

7. ReiAyanamies Guro Queen.

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    @Metazoxan Yes, yes, YES! [​IMG] I was beginning to think I was the only one who thought that.

8. Sir-Maddy Finger Lickin' Good™

Ratings:
    +260 / 0 / -1
    Oh yeah I forgot she played the main heroine.
    She's good as Tomoko I guess...

9. Nimander God of Calamity

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Natsuru-san Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    ^ HELL YES!!! Love her so much and all her perverted ways. >: )

11. Sir-Maddy Finger Lickin' Good™

Ratings:
    +260 / 0 / -1
    NO WRONG TOMOKO
    THE ONE FROM WATAMOTE

12. ReiAyanamies Guro Queen.

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

13. Sir-Maddy Finger Lickin' Good™

Ratings:
    +260 / 0 / -1
    Yeah, her.

14. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Okay I've watched up to episode 3 and I've got two good things to say about this show so far.

First of all the girl's powers and attacks look a LOT better. One of the things I never liked about Sailor moon was until the end of the first season when their powers got a boost they all seemed pitifully weak. Usagi couldn't do a damn thing besides throw her Tiara, Mercury blew mist and bubbles, Mars threw a little fire, jupiter shot a little static out of her head thing, and Venus....did something. None of their powers looked very impressive or able to beat anything especially Usagi who was the only one in the group to apparently not have an actual power. But in this one Usagi's tiara looks more like a chakram when she throws in (Meaning an actual weapon) and she can apparently attack with ultra sonic waves (although she doesn't know how to control it yet). Also Mercury has a much stronger looking water attack and Rei has a lot more fire power right off the bat as well (What was maybe a small or medium fire ball in the original is a large wave of fire now). Basically I'm saying thanks to modern animation and a few changes the new sailor scouts appear to be much more capable than the old ones.

The second thing is the relation ship between Usagi and that guy (The one who is tuxedo mask). In the original they both acted like children. With the guy constantly picking on her and yelling at her and with her constantly saying how she can't stand him. In this one he still picks on her but it's more calm and feel more like how a high schooler might tease a kid rather than out of sensless bickering. Usagi also seem much more accepting of the feelings we know she has for him and blushes around him more instead of just complaining about him all the time.

15. Natsuru-san Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    @Metazoxan Wait till you watch ep 4, that was beautiful and awesome. (No sarcasm intended) I loved ep 4 and oh that hint at the end/showing of what ep 5 will be, cannot wait!...

16. Sir-Maddy Finger Lickin' Good™

Ratings:
    +260 / 0 / -1
    >Kotono Mitsushi still hasn't improved
    >QUALITY moments still
    >Venus no where in sight
    >Ami Koshimizu playing Jupiter
    5/10 not even mad
    I'm now just watching for the QUALITY moments.

17. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Wow so now she has a moon beam attack as well? I certainly don't remember THAT in the original series. She just threw her stupid Tiara at everything. Now she can use a sonic wave attack and a moon beam? Even if the sonic waves are still just crying that packs a punch it still shows she has real power which is something the one in the original series didn't have at all.

Also I'm getting used to the faces. They were a bit off putting at first but they are rather detailed in a way which isn't bad. Still don't like those CGI transformations though.

18. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Okay I am REALLY enjoying this now. I"ve completely gotten used to the animation style and it's actually really good especially during action scenes there the attacks just look beautiful. Mamoru has way more depth than in the original 90s anime and Usagi ended episode 9 saying "I won't be a tragic princess again" which is awesome! She isn't just some goof ball and she's not letting some dark kingdom take her man. The reveal that Sailor Moon is the Princess was way more dramatic than I remember in the old anime and they explained the backstory a lot better.

I really wasn't sure how this was going to go since Sailor moon is considered a classic and redoing classics is always tricky. But I think they did really well. Although I think the reason for that is this one is actually trying to follow the manga a little more closely and is covering several plot points the 90s anime skipped. But in any case I am enjoying this alot now. If you liked or even just saw the 90s Sailor Moon you should give this show a chance. The animation may seem a little odd at first but it really shines at times especially during action and the show overall just feels tighter without all those "monster of the week" enemies that took up a dozen episodes in the original.

The one problem with this is that since we are skipping all those "Monster of the week" fights we aren't really getting much character development outside of what was given at introduction and what is strickly plot involved. Like Usagi for example who is still developing at a decent pace. But since it seems like they still have a LOT to cover (even the bad guys seems to have a lot more backstory that we're going to see) and only so many episodes to do it so I guess spending a tone of time on "Lets have a lot level enemy show up again" would have just gotten in the way.

Overall I think this anime surpasses the original. Between it's deeper and tighter plot and it's animation which is just beautiful during fights it does a lot of things right that the original failed to do. While some of these improvements do come at a cost of losing a few other things they are worth it and make for a stronger and more engaging series.

19. Sir-Maddy Finger Lickin' Good™

Ratings:
    +260 / 0 / -1
    This episode was good.
    But it doesn't justify the sh*t I've had to put up with these past few weeks.

20. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Those episodes weren't shit though they were just set up which could get slow at times. The original anime had the same thing and if anything this version trimmed some of that out and got to the "Oh shit things are getting real" faster.