Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

[Archived] Suggestions For Site Changes

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by Sporadic, May 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vashnik Guest

『   』
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Disabling your view of everyone else's signature in XenForo is located here: http://dubtopian-review.eu/index.php?account/preferences
    It's the 5th Checkbox down, "Show people's signatures with their messages".
    Disabling your own signature in messages doesn't appear to be part of XenForo, usually there is an option when posting on other forum software. It may or may not be handled with the setting "Show people's signatures with their messages".

2. Mafiacow Obsessed Over Trophies

Ratings:
    +179 / 1 / -0
    But, this site seems to treat any sort of post as a "message", not just actual PMs...

3. Vashnik Guest

『   』
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That part would have been in the "posting" screen and would have been left up to the sender, if XenForo would have even had that option. I've never seen a forum show an option to disable signatures from other users when they receive a Personal Message (PM) though.

4. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Yeah that is a VERY specific feature and it would require PMs to be classified as a different kind of message than others as well as the problem too control signatures for each kind seperately.

It's possible but I find it unlikely something like that would be in the code. That is if I'm understanding all of this correctly.

I have a question though. Are these forums able to show a quote inside of a quote? Sometimes it's nice to have the entire conversation in the quote instead of just the last part.

5. Supernatural-Knight Asylum Game Master Moderator

Ratings:
    +608 / 4 / -6
    Thanks for the removal of auto censors, makes things so much easier to convey when you have words to show your negative opinions.
    I've not seen a quote in a quote yet Meta so I'm not sure if it is possible. I think you're meant to keep clicking the little arrows on the quoted section until you see every part of the discussion.

Another change I'd like to see if possible is either the removal or raising of the character limits. I've not encountered them for a forum post yet, and the PM system allows a large amount already. I'm referring to both status and visitor message, I think 140 for status and about 400 for a visitor messages is too few of characters to be allowed on a discussion forum. I hit the 400 limit in a single response to Meta and had to break it up into 2 separate posts. It isn't that large of an issue but it is kind of annoying that they are so low when discussions is the whole point of forums in the first place.

6. Vashnik Guest

『   』
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    From a development perspective, if you're using up 140 characters in a status and still need more, that's become thread worthy on a message board. If you're using up 400 characters in a visitor message, best to use a Personal Message. I really don't see why people need to write a life story in their status or visitor message. If this were Facebook, then I could see character increases being ideal for the situation, but this is a forum and it would only take away from the use of posting in threads and using the Personal Message feature.
    From a personal point of view, I never used the status update or the visitor message much on a forum that was running vBulletin 4.x.
    That's just my 2¢.

7. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Agreed. When I was sending back a response I have to remove a few lines and even a paragraph that I didn't really need to get it within the character limit.
    While I agree that you don' t need a life story in visitor messages but couldn't the character limit still be a little higher? Forget life stories you couldn't even fit in a prolouge into that limit. So while I'm not asking to make 400 into 4000 maybe 5 or 6 hundred would be nice. Because as it stands it's a bit too limiting.

BTW this is just a minor suggesting but considering how Kami and Arisu are apparently our mascots shouldn't the site involve at least a little red and purple in some way? I don't mean a complete rewrite of the site look but for example for site news the heading is purple. Why not use that for a few more links? Then maybe also mix in some red text or maybe give some things on a site a dark red and or purple border or something.

It just seems like the site should at least partly use the color schemes of the mascots. But like Vash said that's just my 2¢.

#27 Metazoxan, Jun 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  8. Khristophoros ♛Ecchi Enthusiast♛

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I couldn't agree more; nothing major that would evolve a whole re-write but maybe a couple of rules that would change the color of some links or borders to better match our Red and Purple mascots

9. SilverWolf Guest

『   』
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Can you guys add a watch list option for the forum users?

10. Kiri Retired staff

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    I'm working on a theme that I think some of the 'old' JD members will feel right at home with ;). As for adding some of the colors into the 2.0 version of this theme, we can try but some colors just don't play well with the overall color scheme and would look out of place.
    I don't think we will be able to add this. The reason is the forum is using XenForo and the streaming portion of the site will be using Drupal and I don't think they'll "talk" well between the two. I'll definitely look to see if there's something that can be done.

11. Noobs I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +631 / 3 / -1
    uhhmmm one thing that i noticed immediately when browsing the forums is that there is no Online/Offline indicator and no add friend (or the follow thingy for this site), and/or PM at the members avatar area. see arrow.

<--------------

12. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Of course I wasn't asking to immediatly overhaul the color scheme. I just felt adding a little red and purple would make it feel more like the Mascots actually belong here. As it stands it feels like they aren't mascots for this site at all. So mixing a little of their color into the site would make them feel more like they belong.

Well anyway this one is really just an opinion but at the top with the Latest series, Latest movies, and latest episode Icons I feel like using the images of the two mascots for two of them and something else for the third would be better than random anime images (Perhaps you could use that green one that was going to be for the lost JustReviews Revamp). Because to me it just felt strange somehow when a site's Icons feature specific anime.

13. Kiri Retired staff

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    You're correct; there is no online/offline indicator yet. A small mod will add this feature, but this is towards to bottom of the To-Do list. As for friend add/PMs go, just click the user's avatar you're interested in and you will see several option including the option to Follow them and to Start a Converation (PM) with them.

14. Noobs I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +631 / 3 / -1
    sweet. although i prefer them being displayed on the profile area to save myself with other clicks, i guess its fine if its what the site has to offer.

keep up the good work guys! :)

15. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    It's do-able on Drupal. But one of the points of not importing the DT users was because we're getting rid of the watch list as well. If they want a watch list they can use MAL or AP.

16. Khristophoros ♛Ecchi Enthusiast♛

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Yea why put work into adding something in, when said something already exists.

17. Negi-Springfield Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +242 / 0 / -1
    I have two suggestions.

First, on the search bar above of about every page, could you change the colours so that it is readable?

Second, would it be possible to do a search within a certain topic?

18. Khristophoros ♛Ecchi Enthusiast♛

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    could you add a little padding to the post fields like this (10px/.25em)

[​IMG]

19. Dirtie00 El Psy Kongroo

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    I support this.

20. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    I have a suggestion. when you're in a section and looking at a list of threads there are the boxes with numbers you can click on to go to a few different pages. The color of the number is too close to the boxes themselves and is hard to read. So it need to be changed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.