Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

American, British or other?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by AngeloDaniele, Jan 20, 2017.

?

which are you?

1. American

57.1%
  2. English

14.3%
  3. Other

28.6%
  1. AngeloDaniele Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    First off sorry for referring to literally every other language as "other" I understand that may come off as a bit crude, It was the only way I could think of at the time. Feel free to state the specifics of your language below.

By English I mean British.

I also understand that there are several different states that have their own accents and such. You can talk about that below too if you'd like.
    Anyway...
    I was going through the forum as usual when I saw the word "mom" in a post which gave me the Idea to find out the ratio of people in the site in terms of nationality I don't mean heritage just If you're an american, British etc. so cast your vote and let's find out.

For the record I'm English born and raised but my mother and father etc. are Italian my mum just choose to move and so yeah.

#1 AngeloDaniele, Jan 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  2. Cpt_K3nny Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +288 / 0 / -0
    Aren't American and British simply both English?

Simply one has an American accent and the other has a British accent?

• Like Like x 1
  3. AngeloDaniele Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    Fundamentally yes, but in britain If you speak with a strong american accent to the point that you use words such as mom instead of mum and aluminum instead of aluminium then you're described as speaking american not english. Also aren't some words spelt differently? for example color (american) and colour (English).
    So are you American or British?

I just wanted to find out how many people on the site were from the UK compared to America. Thanks for bringing this up. I think I might change English in the title to British to make it clearer.

#3 AngeloDaniele, Jan 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  4. Supernatural-Knight Asylum Game Master Moderator

Ratings:
    +608 / 4 / -6
    Hmm I am neither a Yank or a Pom, but I use British english. Does that mean I have to mark British? I want to include myself as other but I see that Negi has that covered with French Canadian so I don't think Aussie counts as an other.
    Ah screw the world's borders.
    We are earthlings.
    Now that that is solved let's just go invade space as best we can. Aliens here we come.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Cpt_K3nny Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +288 / 0 / -0

No worries I just found it confusing,

Its the same thing for us with French... We have Quebec French, Acadian french, France French ETC but in reality its all french...

I remember in French Class now bare with me that was some 15 years ago.... Where we were taught that in french there is 4 ways to categorize it

Proper French - Highest form of french
    Common French - French spoken by certain countries IE: Canadian French Vrs France French
    Regional French - A version of french with a specific accent for the area
    Community french - A version of french full of slang words ETC only know to the people of that community....

I think this is what you are trying to identify is what style of English are people speaking on this site not what language they are technically speaking...

anyways sorry for nit picking :p

Also

I am neither.... Just like Negi I am French Canadian......

YES US FRENCH CANADIAN ARE TAKING OVER MOUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Oh wait its breakfast time a damn it ill have to cancel my take over for now can't do anything on an empty stomach!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Negi-Springfield Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +242 / 0 / -1
    In French, there is no different spellings depending on the region, spelling varies with age.
    For instance the word key, if you were born prior to 1998 you're likely to spell it "clef", but if you were born after 1997, then "clé" is what you probably spell it as.

Both spellings are correct.
    Clef will slowly become archaic and be removed from the dictionary.
    They tend to add spellings that are phonetic to certain words that are hard to spell.

Saying I'm French Canadian refers to the slang I use (although I don't like slang in French), the swear words I use (e.g. I like to say Câlice, but in France, it's equivalent would be putain), it
    As for the accents, I make fun of all French accents that aren't Montreal South Shore French, so don't worry, I'm making fun of everyone's accent (and vice versa).

As for English, I spell everything with a U and I use, I spell Mum both ways.
    I pronounce Z zed (as in French) and sometimes (albeit less and less frequently) zee.

[​IMG]
    https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8216/8288341263_5f52dbb6b7.jpg

7. Noobs I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +631 / 3 / -1
    as a souteast asian, specifically filipino, i categorize as others. now if you are curious as to which english standard we are using, we implement the american way (for being colonized for about 50 years and al).

8. VeritasOdiumParit Cult of Personality

Ratings:
    +144 / 0 / -0
    I'm a Brit :p

• Like Like x 1
  9. jmriz Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    I'm an American

10. Kaede Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +450 / 0 / -0
    Well, apparently I have a British blood line... It's not overly common for mii but on the occasion I get cranky or talking for too long, I have a clear British accent... So I can't deny that. *shrugs*

11. AngeloDaniele Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    French Canadian. Australian. Filipino. Coooool.
    Hurray for global networks. (^♢^)

12. Core Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +488 / 0 / -0
    "I'm a red blooded, rough neck, son of a b!tch. I'm a g*d-damned American capitalist."
    http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/fivefingerdeathpunch/americancapitalist.html

Remind me not to talk to you too long.

Because if I do, you might get cranky and start using that accent on me, which means that I am also in trouble for setting you off, and as a result I would either need to shut up or get away, because if I do, you might get cranky and start using that accent on me, which means that I am also in trouble for setting you off, and as a result I would either need to shut up or get away, because if I do, you might get cranky and start using that accent on me, which means that I am also in trouble for setting you off, and as a result I would either need to shut up or get away, because if I do, you might get cranky and start using that accent on me, which means that I am also in trouble for setting you off, and as a result I would either need to shut up or get away, because if I do, you might get cranky and start using that accent on me, which means that I am also in trouble for setting you off, and as a result I would either need to shut up or get away, because if I do, you might get cranky and start using that accent on me, which means that I am also in trouble for setting you off, and as a result I would either need to shut up or get away, because if I do, you might get cranky and start using that accent on me, which means that I am also in trouble for setting you off, and as a result I would either need to shut up or get away, because if I do, you might get cranky and start using that accent on me, which means that I am also in trouble for setting you off, and as a result I would either need to shut up or get away, because if I do, you might get cranky and start using that accent on me, which means that I am also in trouble for setting you off, and as a result I would either need to shut up or get away, because if I do, you might get cranky and start using that accent on me, which means that I am also in trouble for setting you off, and as a result I would either need to shut up or get away, because if I do, you might get cranky and (You didn't read all this, did you?) start using that accent on me, which means that I am also in trouble for setting you off, and as a result I would either need to shut up or get away, because if I do, you might get cranky and start using that accent on me, which means that I am also in trouble for setting you off, and as a result I would either need to shut up or get away, because if I do, you might get cranky and start using that accent on me, which means that I am also in trouble for setting you off, and as a result I would either need to shut up or get away, because if I do, you might get cranky and start using that accent on me, which means that I am also in trouble for setting you off, and as a result I would either need to shut up or get away, because if I do, you might get cranky and start using that accent on me, which means that I am also in trouble for setting you off, and as a result I would either need to shut up or get away, because if I do, you might get cranky and start using that accent on me, which means that I am also in trouble for setting you off, and as a result I would either need to shut up or get away, because if I do, you might get cranky and start using that accent on me, which means that I am also in trouble for setting you off, and as a result I would either need to shut up or get away, because if I do, you might get cranky and start using that accent on me, which means that I am also in trouble for setting you off, and as a result I would either need to shut up or get away, because if I do, you might get cranky and start using that accent on me, which means that I am also in trouble for setting you off, and as a result I would either need to shut up or get away, because if I do, you might get cranky and start using that accent on me, which means that I am also in trouble for setting you off, and as a result I would either need to shut up or get away, because if I do, you might get cranky and start using that accent on me, which means that I am also in trouble for setting you off, and as a result I would either need to shut up or get away, because if I do, you might get cranky and start using that accent on me, which means that I am also in trouble for setting you off, and as a result I would either need to shut up or get away, because if I do, you might get cranky and start using that accent on me, which means that I am also in trouble for setting you off, and as a result I would either need to shut up or get away, because if I do, you might get cranky and start using that accent on me, which means that I am also in trouble for setting you off, and as a result I would either need to shut up or get away.

13. Vashnik Guest

『   』
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    American, sometimes with a southern twang (accent). And no, none of the cowboy talk one typically hears in movies.

Stargate Atlantis. Canadian scientist, Dr Rodney McKay (character) calls a ZPM a ZedPM. lol Sorry. Your talk of zed and zee reminded me of him.

14. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    American born to Hispanic immigrants.
    I think your internet broke o_O

• Like Like x 1
  15. Kaede Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +450 / 0 / -0
    Hahahahahaa! I laughed so hard at that. I got up to the first green but then skipped. I did find that you wrote (you didn't read this part did you) or something like that... So I wasn't entirely ignorant of the entire message. :p it's alright, pretty hard to annoy mii and make Mii cranky. I've gotta really not like you or you know you've pushed my boundaries for mii to snap. So you're fine.

16. KnowMeFrom Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    American but I often find myself thinking in proper British thanks to listening to much UK Rap and Grime.

17. AngeloDaniele Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    UK rap and grime is almost as bad as food we have here.
    [​IMG]

18. KnowMeFrom Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    If you don't like rap then sure. UK rappers don't talk about guns all the time (besides Ghetts) and aren't wannabe gangstas (again besides Ghetts) like the Americans. One of my favorite lines from Bonkaz "no flags we never blood and we never crippin"

Also I never had English food.

#18 KnowMeFrom, Jan 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  19. AngeloDaniele Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    Well I guess if you like it then that's unquestionable a good thing

English food technically doesn't exist we just steal recipes from other places and make them worse.

20. Teknoman X Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +377 / 1 / -0
    American by birth. Texan by incredible luck. But classified as a mutt. I have Italian, Scottish, Pennsylvanian Dutch, Native American, and German all wrapped up in one crazy sumbitch.