Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

2 New FLCL Seasons Co-Produced by Toonami (Updated)

Discussion in 'Anime News' started by Vladnyx, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Vladnyx Everyone is the main character of their own life.

Ratings:
    +609 / 0 / -0
    The official Facebook for Adult Swim's Toonami block announced on Thursday that it will co-produce 12 new episodes of FLCL with Production I.G. The 12 episodes will be a sequel to the 2000-2001 original video anime, and will be split into two seasons. The show is slated for late 2017 to early 2018 so sadly we won't be getting this anytime soon :(.
    [​IMG]
    Adult Swim describes the new seasons' story:
    In the new season of FLCL, many years have passed since Naota and Haruhara Haruko shared their adventure together. Meanwhile, the war between the two entities known as Medical Mechanica and Fraternity rages across the galaxy. Enter Hidomi, a young teenage girl who believes there is nothing amazing to expect from her average life, until one day when a new teacher named Haruko arrives at her school. Soon enough, Medical Mechanica is attacking her town and Hidomi discovers a secret within her that could save everyone, a secret that only Haruko can unlock.

But why did Haruko return to Earth? What happened to her Rickenbacker 4001 she left with Naota? And where did the human-type robot ‘Canti’ go?

Production I.G announced in August that it had acquired the rights to the FLCL anime, and mentioned it would use the rights for a "new anime remake" and other ventures.

Synch-Point and later Funimation have released the anime in North America. Funimation describes the story:

Naota is a detached sixth-grader afflicted by the pangs of puberty. He's fooling around with his brother's ex-girlfriend when a crazed girl on a motor scooter runs him over, brains him with a bass guitar, and moves into his house. She says she's an alien, and hurls Naota into the middle of a mega-corporation's secret agenda. And now giant battling robots shoot from his skull when he has naughty thoughts.

The anime is the first directorial effort from Kazuya Tsurumaki, who served as assistant director on the Neon Genesis Evangelion television anime and would go on to direct the new Evangelion films.Production I.G notes that the dubbed versions of the anime have been popular overseas, particularly in North America where it ran on television.

Kadokawa Shoten's Kadokawa Sneaker Bunko novelized the story, and Kodansha's Monthly Magazine Z adapted the story into manga as the anime was being released. It won the third place in Canada's Fantasia Film Festival in 2003.​

2. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    I hope they are as interesting as the original and aren't just made for the sake of having a sequel. A sequel to FLCL is something many people have been asking for for a long time.

3. Vladnyx Everyone is the main character of their own life.

Ratings:
    +609 / 0 / -0
    Couldn't agree with you more. I was shocked to learn of this. Now i'm keeping my fingers crossed that it delivers and lives up to everyone's high expectations. Still slated for late 2017 or early 2018. That wait is quite literally going to shorten my lifespan Spor.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    I genuinely hope it is well received. Toonami is probably capitalizing on the demand for the sequels but I'm not sure if they would be as successful now than if they were made 10 years ago when the demand was still hot.

5. Vladnyx Everyone is the main character of their own life.

Ratings:
    +609 / 0 / -0
    Let us pray that when it is released it gets well received. They've had plenty of time to amass ideas. Still Toonami is likely trying to capitalize on it as you said. It's still good for FLCL as a whole because it advertises it more allowing for a larger audience. Then again you have a very valid point with saying that it most likely won't be as successful a hit now vs if they had done this many years ago. Either way regardless on how it's received were getting more FLCL like it or not I guess. At least I hope we get it. I don't want to come to find out later that the project was scraped or something. If that were to happen...
    [​IMG]