Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Who are your favorite authors?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BlackHeartedRose, Apr 2, 2016.

1. BlackHeartedRose The Bookworm

Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    I love reading a lot. I haven't been reading as much as I have been, but I was wondering for any of the readers out there who are your favorite authors?

My favorite authors have to be Jodi Picoult, S.E Hinton, and Heather Brewer.

Tell me your favorites so I can check them out!!

2. BaconMan8910 Blue Bomber

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    HP Lovecraft, Sarah Vowell. That's about it, really. Don't do a lot of reading, myself. At least, not for leisure.

3. BlackHeartedRose The Bookworm

Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    Ahh I understand. I read a lot lately, but mainly have been writing. Once my friend and I get blind date with a book done I am going to be reading more.

4. Negi-Springfield Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +242 / 0 / -1
    Stephen King is my favourite author and Salem's lot my favourite book, but I'll read about anything as long as it's well constructed and the plot is interesting.

5. BlackHeartedRose The Bookworm

Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    I have Misery. Have you read it?

6. Negi-Springfield Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +242 / 0 / -1
    I have not, I don't have much time to read with school and books have piled up lately (I have six novels and a dozen manga waiting to be read).

I have read Dolores Claiborne which looks kind of similar to Misery in its atmosphere although completely different stories.

7. BlackHeartedRose The Bookworm

Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    Ahh alright. I understand. It seems like an interesting read.

8. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    I love reading, lots of times I lose track reading "stuff" from the internet. Hey it's reading! I do read a lot of books also. My favorite genre and probably the only genre I would even bother picking up are the fantasy novels.
    Whether it would be medieval style fiction or full blown fantasy. If it has Queens, Kings, and Knights of honor I'm game. Magic is good, so are monsters. Doesn't have to be. Love a traditional love plot between a knight and princess, I'm just old school like that. Don't make it the main selling point though, that stuff is best served as a subplot.

Fighting evil empires or demon gods are the good stuff. I'm always game for those types of stories, especially those really long stories that drag out through multiple books.

Robert Jordan of the Wheel of Time series. I'm on a small boat here but I love the incridible detail he puts in every page of that 10,000+ pages of this epic story. Yeah so he might be infamous for filling out multiple pages detailing the contents of a woman's wardrobe but dammit now I know everything about that character!
    A shame he passed away before he could finish but all was not lost...

Brian Sanderson, and here comes the bright guy who completed the series and really impressed me by doing it. Not only was he faithful to the contents of the previous books (for which there was 10,000+ pages) but he also cut back on the over the top detailing. At this point it wasn't really needed after all. This is the ending we're talking about.
    I read his Mistborn books and loved how he spelled out in plain English how his magic system works. It's very good and I like his characters. I also started reading his Stormlight Archives series. This is my new "most hyped for books of the future". A planned mega series of books with what seems to be 4 main characters. I love all four of them and each one is so distinct from each other. Can't wait how it unfolds. I just hope he keeps a steady pace and not sit on his ideas like George Martin of the Thrones books is doing.

Harry Turtledove. Alternate history books anyone? What if aliens invaded the earth during WW2? What if the Confederate South had AK 47's to fight the Union North? This guy makes some bizarre "fake history" books which turn out to be really interesting, especially if you know the real history. The characters are in fact real characters in the past and he puts them in positions that never actually happened. Their actions are plausible, at least if you think that's how someone would act if they saw a lizard alien invade your home planet.
    It may sound strange but the guy does seem to know the real history of those events. It's what makes it interesting to see him turn it upside down.

9. BlackHeartedRose The Bookworm

Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    Lol @Doomguy I shall check out the authors you talked about. I am going to be buying 3 Book Series on Amazon. Putting them in two orders though because I don't want to spend 80+ dollars on the books on one card.

10. Cpt_K3nny Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +288 / 0 / -0
    Hmmm people are going to call me unoriginal for this but who cares :)

George RR Martin - Games of Throne Series and the Hedge knight Series Loved the books

Rick Riordan - Percy Jackson Series & The Kane Chronicles series, I like them both due to the simplicity and easiness to read.

J.R.R. Tolkien - LOTR, Hobbit, The Silmarillion, I love this world he created in such beautiful details...

Andrzej Sapkowski - The Witcher Stories, Love these books even doh they are translated I just Loved all adventures of Geralt Of Rivia.

There you have it I know its not anything spectacular but meh I love the stories they tell :)

11. BlackHeartedRose The Bookworm

Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    My sister loves the Percy Jackson series. She had almost allof them. Game of Thrones. I have wanted to read. Lord of the Rings...lol not so much. I haven't been able to sit through long movies lately. Maybe I will try the book one day. Lol

12. Cpt_K3nny Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +288 / 0 / -0
    The Books are way better then the movies but that's just me lol :)

Also I liked the Hobbit better then LOTR but both were a good read!

• Like Like x 1
  13. BlackHeartedRose The Bookworm

Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    We have all the Lord of the Rings movies. I may read the books. I just bought three book series. I can't wait for the them to believered lol. I also bought Love Letters to the Dead. The three book series I bought were The Breathing Series by Rebeca Donovan. The Heartless series by J. Sterling and also the Game series by her. I need to get back into the reading the Selection series. I am gonna reread the Vladimir Todd series. (That's a vampire series. I hate Twilight so this got me into vampires again.) I need to get the rest of the Cirque Du Freak series also. I need at least 8 more books for that one. I guess I will purchase them soon. I just dropped 80+ dollars on all the books I wanted lol

@Doomguy I actually saw the Wheel of Time series at Barnes and Noble and I was interested in them! I might buy that on my Nook though because they have all the books in one!

14. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    It's not for the faint of heart. It's a huge 13 book time burner. I regret nothing! The adventures of those characters will forever remain in my heart. It was very fulfilling and it doesn't get too crazy with wacky plot twists that make no sense. The end books wrap up nicely and nothing feels left out. It was so worth the time and effort I put into it. I do read at a pretty quick pace so that certainly helps

15. BlackHeartedRose The Bookworm

Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    Most likely going to purchase on Amazon after I finish reading the other series that I have to. Thank you! I really wanted to read them and I will give it ago.

16. youngnozomi Sparkles, Nosebleeds, and D'awwww

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    Neil Gaiman and William Shakespeare!

17. BlackHeartedRose The Bookworm

Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    What is your favorite William Shakespeare play? Mine was MacBeth.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    I want to thank my 10th and 12th grade teacher (same person) who thought reading Macbeth would be a far better choice then the same tired old story that was Romeo and Juliet.

Seriously even the deadbeats in my class thought Macbeth was cool. No one saw that plot twist in the end, it was crazy

19. BlackHeartedRose The Bookworm

Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    Yes, yes it was. Lol I know in my school they actually watch the Lion King since it had the same kind of theme.

I loved Macbeth. It was great and the ending was pretty crazy lol

20. Core Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +488 / 0 / -0
    Mind saying why? It would not surprise me, since I am not too keen on reading it myself.

This is the sort of dedication I like in a series, with lots of detail. Too bad games or some anime do not turn out the same way.

Can not say I really have a favorite. If a book is good, then I read it. Rarely see who the author is, actually.

John Grisham was interesting. I think one of his books was "The Innocent Man," probably one of his few non-fiction books.

Frank Herbert's "Dune" series is on my list of books to read. Read one (Children of Dune [?]) which contained probably 4-5 stories in it, only read one, but I was in 4th grade at the time.

I read a segment of Tom Clancy's "Splinter Cell." Seemed interesting, but I never got around to reading any.

Clive Cussler seems to be an author on military books. I have one of his books, but have not read it, since a book is no more than a piece of mass to once it has been read. I don't want to lose the value of the book, but it is still useless if I don't read it. Ack.

Oh, one more.
    Aesop.