Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Sly Cooper Thieves in time

Discussion in 'SOS Brigade (Clubs)' started by Metazoxan, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    has anyone else played this game? I just wanted to let off some steam about this game.
    I really hated this game. It pales in comparison to how fun sly 3 was.

Each of the Cooperss ancestors specials abilities (Besides Kid's) aren't very fun and are only useful in very specific areas. Because of this the game feels painfully scripted like everything in the game is prearranged just to make you use that annoying special skill a few dozen times. It's not that their special abilties make things easier or anything no the game makes it so that it's impossible without their ability but absurdly easy with it. Also their "Special finishers" work more or less the same as Sly's they just look different. The game is absurdly easy most of the time and the game has a much more linear feel and less freedom than the last game.

In sly three you'd have maybe 3 or 4 missions to pick from which would slowly build up to the final super mission. In this game it's basically Rescue ancestor and begin final operation almost immediately.

Also the boss fights were sooo boring. It was litterally the same thing. Dodge attacks, use stages special costume at just the right time, repetidly mash attack button until boss forces you back, repeat 3 or 4 times. The final boss fight was the worst one being nothing but "Press the buttons as they show up on the screen". Plus the bosses make no sense. In the previous games bosses had special skills for a reason. Like the panda king could throw fire because he was using fireworks. But in this game we have an armadillo who can turn giant for litterally no reason and an elephant who can shoot balls of energy and shoot lines of physical music that you can grind on. She isn't a mage or anything she's just an elephant with a trumptet stuck in her trunk... that is it.

Sly three had a grand finale with a good atmosphere where everything looked threatening and it felt like you were in the middle of the big bosses stronghold but this just felt dull and easy. Also The villain ended up being a cheap knock off of Clockwork.

It does preserve the Sly game style but everything in the game just lacked a lot of the creativity and fun that the other games had. Plus that stupid ending was just awful! Sly 3 had a great ending why ruin that? Now Bently has lost Penelope for stupid reasons and Sly is lost again but unlike at the end of sly 3 he isn't faking amnesia while being with Carmelita he's just missing.

Speaking of Carmelita I have a problem with her. She sucks in this game! In the other games she was a strong character. With her powerful shock blaster if she showed up you had no choice but to run like hell! She didn't take shit from anyone and she took charge well. In this game she's just a useless chick who barely does a damn thing all game besides maybe one or two missions in the old west stage and getting captured at the end... yeah Carmelitta... she girl who took on a giant monster in Sly 3 by herself is captured without the slightest trouble. Some of the other characters were messed up a bit as well but her character was just butchered.

Sorry for the rant but I was a big fan of this series and this game just pisses me off so much!

2. ThatRandomGinger Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    well remember meta that this wasn't a sucker punch, Zamaro or who ever statrted it then asked sucker punch if they could, so it's going to be different game. I do feel though they nerfed so many of the attacks, Murry was a power house in all the games but in this one not soo much. Also in 3 sly had a huge aresal of moves and in ths it use stealth slam, use smoke, use stealth slam.

3. ShadowLinks Hero of Time

Ratings:
    +57 / 1 / -0
    I played it and I was a big fan of the series, particularly 2. I'd say it was just satisfactory. If anything I was just happy that they continued Sly. Sanzaku Games made this instead of Sucker Punch and it shows in a lot places. Level design was pretty large and interesting, but the way they did the hidden items and stuff was awful. Heists were no where near as good as previous games despite what I thought would be possible considering the premise.

I'll totally agree that they butchered carmelita and perhaps even penelope.

While the villians weren't quite as creative, its not unthinkable on some of the bosses abilities considering similar things were simply explained by juju (Madame crocodile and the mask of dark earth).

On another point I read that Toothpick for example resembles " Ren Höek, sharing the Eastern European accent, deranged appearance, and psychotic temper." and other villians: Muggshot, Jean Bison, and the Mask of Dark Earth. I think all the villains ended up paying homage to the series which could be seen as knock-offs overall.

But to top things off Ill just say im hoping for a better sequel and disappointed that sucker punch didn't return to the IP.

4. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Even if they weren't sucker punch that doesn't make the game better it just means Sucker Punch didn't fail us themselves. The move thing is another problem with this game. He is stripped of alamost everything and because the AI in this game is moronic (It takes so much to get these idiots to notice you it's not funny). All I had to do to sneak past enemies was spam the smoke bomb button. For some reason throwing a smoke bomb into their faces doesn't alert the guards at all and makes you COMPLETELY invisible to them.

Exactly the various worlds were decent enough themselves but a lot of the missions either felt stupid or made little sense "We HAVE to do thing one thing instead of doing something much easier just because".

But in past games we were at least given reasons for unusual boss abilities. Madame Crocodile was a witch and the Mask was an ancient evil. In this one it's just "Yeah he can grow giant. He doesn't have super powers and our back story on him doesn't even mention this ability. he can just grow giant for no reason." or like I said the Elephant woman could throw balls of energy at you and make physical sound that you could grind on...how? Stuff like this just really annoys me. I don't expect detailed backstories but I don't like sitting their going "how the hell is he even doing all that?".

I don't mind current vilalins resembling past villains of the series but they need to be good villains in their own right. But NONE of them were really interesting and again even the main villain's entire ambition was basically a rip off of Clockworks, except instead of being a rival who sacrififced his own body bit by bit as he slowly went insane until he was nothing more than a machine litterally fueled by hatred, He's just an idiot who blames the cooper family for his old man's stupidity and decided to wipe them out instead of fixing his own history. Was I the only one who realized that all he really had to do was go back in time and make sure his father stole the Gem instead of cooper and made him take the blame? If he really wanted to destroy the Coopers he could handle that next but why didn't fixing his own history ever occur to him?