Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Feedback Should JDO Have a "Veteran" Rank/Title?

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by blaze1514, Jun 20, 2015.

1. blaze1514 Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I, like many of us was an original JustDubs member. However I have noticed that there is no way to tell, other than me saying so. I propose a we make a "JD Original Veteran" badge. That way I (or anyone else from the old JD) can choose to show it along with their other achievements. What do you all think?

2. Nonononoki Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +11 / 1 / -0
    It is as you said, no one can tell if you're an old JD member or not, except you've done some great things for the JD community. I suppose your idea is to give anyone the option to give that badge to everyone and they can choose if they want to display that among their badges? If so, then I'm against it. It's not a bad idea, but what's the point of a badge when anyone can get their hands on it? Also, even though there are many new faces in this community, I think 80% of the people here were original JD members, so 80% of the people would be carrying the same badge.

3. blaze1514 Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I don't mean that everyone gets it, I mean that anyone can request it. And does it really matter if 80% of us have a similar badge? I mean probably 95% of us have the "1 year badge". I just feel that we should have a way to get something like that, since it was the old JD community that led us to where we are now.

4. BaconMan8910 Blue Bomber

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    I believe that we discussed this at some point and (I think) we rejected the idea. Partly because we have had so many incarnations (JustDubs, JustDubs Refuge, Dubtopian-Review, Dubtopia, and JustDubs Online) that it would stand to reason that if we make a special badge for members from one of our incarnations, we would need one for each.

There is also that to provide a badge that is unobtainable to anyone who has joined us recently risks alienating a portion of our user-base.

We do have the "1 Year Veteran" badge, which is meant to sort of serve this purpose. Granted, it does not count time at JustDubs or JustDubs Refuge, rather it only counts time since Dubtopian-Review.

5. Kiri Retired staff

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    I do remember us staff discussing having an award like this some time back. We decided not to go with it for two main reasons:
    1. There's not way to validate if someone was originally a JD member since that site is no longer up. Sure there's memory, but not every member that was on JD was active to the point of memorization. Then there's members like myself that got a new username during the transition.
    2. If we make one for JD, then we'd have to make on for JDR and DT/R. It'd be a lot of work for us staff to validate a member was on each of these site.

6. Delta Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +93 / 0 / -0
    I'm with Bacon and Kiri with this one, There is no way to prove and would make a group of people with an unobtainable badge if we could. I for one joined JD about 2 months be for it was discontinued, I cant remember if I made and account or not

7. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    What they said.

Putting that bit in your signature is a good alternative. Maybe @Crazy Potato or @Walshy can make up a "JD.net member" signature for people who are interested.

8. Vashnik Guest

『   』
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    1. The internet archive would have provided a means of some validation, however it was the email addresses that would have been difficult to check. I was on the original, Refuge, and DTR sites. Somewhere between the JD Refuge temporary forum to the DTR, it was discussed that it shouldn't be done so that we could build a new community with new faces along with the old (before it became a staff discussion). Having a JD.net Veteran status would have made a divide between community members (both staff and end users). I believe it was that division that was pointed out on top of the difficulties of proper validation.
    2. That was the second reason I remember seeing in the discussion, making one for JD.net would mean making one for the other community names that the staff came up with during the rebuilding process.

Edit: Corrected grammatical errors.

#8 Vashnik, Jun 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2015
  9. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, using the wayback machine to validate everyone would be a pain. I have minor backups of JD.net but the time it takes to look everyone up is monotonous. Plus like Kiri and everyone else said, we discussed it but came to the conclusion that everyone would just start wanting a badge for the communities they've been a part of.

It goes without saying though that if you were on JD.net chances are other people who were on JD.net will remember you. My problem with it was that it basically broke down to a way of showing new members that you were a member there rather than reminding old members that you were registered there.

10. Akui Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I don't mind doing that along with other Vet. badges lol, I'm one of the few staff members
    who is not as busy and have plenty of free time.

11. Safko Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I'm not on any side of this, but if there were to be a badge made, I would assume it would be for members of the original JustDubs? It would be kind of pointless if there was one from every incarnation, and I'm pretty sure most if not all members of Refuge are still present here.

12. BaconMan8910 Blue Bomber

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    It would be pointless to have a badge for each incarnation. But it would also be alienating to only have one for JD. Therefore we can't really have a badge for just one.

But our solution to this is the "1 Year Veteran" badge. It makes much more sense to track how long someone has been a registered member and award a badge based on that rather than at what stage you joined us.

13. Vashnik Guest

『   』
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If anything, veteran status could be something that could stack. Let's say, 1 year, 3 year, 5 year, 10 year. 10 year being a lifetime by internet standards. This would be a better solution than the site incarnation badges and everyone would have access to the badge when their registration anniversary date hits the milestone.

14. BaconMan8910 Blue Bomber

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    This is likely something that we can do.

@Sporadic may already have something in mind along those lines.

15. Kiri Retired staff

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    It's not difficult. Making an award based on the time of registration is built into xenForo. Jut need images at the ready for each.

16. Akui Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

17. Batosai Manslayer

Ratings:
    +264 / 7 / -0
    I'm against this idea. Like it has been said, the only way to really identify someone as an original member is by memory. The people who get memorized as original JD members get the praise they deserve anyway, with or without a badge. And imo this is kind of unfair to people who came later, they can be as important as original members, just came later. Join date doesn't really matter much. Sure it's nice, but ppl who were on the original JD know themselves they were on it and have (probably) good memories of it.

Also, there is already a 1 year veteran badge, anyone can get it after being 1 year on JD, old JD or DT or new JD, 1 year is an achievement.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    Yeah and everyone's join date is in their profile information which is also visible to everyone. No need in having another badge to signify something which is already visible.

19. Delta Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +93 / 0 / -0
    Quick question,
    Two year Vet?

20. Heizengard AKA Cernel Joson

Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    Even though this has already been decided, I still want to give my thoughts on it. I find it pointless and kind of stupid. Do people on here really need to know that you were on the original JD? If you want people to know, make it your sig or something. Another thing is the fact that if there was a vet award for old JD members, it would leave some of the other people out and could scare away some younger members, hence the idea for the other awards, which would be a pain in the ass to make.

• Like Like x 1