Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Should Governments Have Keys to your Devices?

Discussion in 'Hall of the Elders' started by Timekeeper, Jun 4, 2016.

1. Timekeeper Great Big Jerk

Ratings:
    +125 / 0 / -0

He brings up a good point. There's also the fact that your government could be an angel one day and a demon the next.

You could have governments who use this tool for accessing criminal information that could have close cases but then turn into a kind of being that uses it to open your bank accounts and steal your retirement funds.

What's your opinion on it?

2. Core Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +488 / 0 / -0
    We can say they should because of terrorists and national security.
    We can say they should not for privacy.
    A recent thing I heard about was when the FBI (or government agency of some sort) wanted Apple to give them access to Apple devices so that they could access terrorist devices. Apple refused, I think, and the FBI found their own way in.
    Obviously, this depends on how the government uses this key into our devices. But since the government is human, then you cannot necessarily trust them.
    Maybe I would be for this, if they could only access specific things, and honestly too. But, if they get their foot in the door of your device, it's all over anyway.
    And there is always the "If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear."
    In short, I do not trust the government well. Just ask a Cherokee (or some other tribe) Indian on how well you can trust.

3. Timekeeper Great Big Jerk

Ratings:
    +125 / 0 / -0
    That post brings me to the attention to this video. Many of the points you mentioned are in it

4. jmriz Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    I agree in a way with Core about times where it is necessary to have phones or devices hacked like in the case of criminals and terrorists, but when it happens, and trust me, it will happen the way our country is going down the tubes, that our opinions and our free speech will be called hate speech or slander if we believe that a then constitutional right, such as Same-Sex unions or Transgender unions even, which will one day most likely happen, is a moral wrong and we will probably be put in jail or at the least be on a watchlist and have our phones and devices hacked.

5. Mafiacow Obsessed Over Trophies

Ratings:
    +179 / 1 / -0
    To the thread, no, they shouldn't. Reason being,
    having something to hide does not mean that the thing being hidden is bad. However, the government could decide that it's bad due to any number of reasons, even if it's not actually bad. Like, (I'm not very knowledged in this but) North Korea, I hear that their govt is so oppressive that the citizens truly believe they can be punished for thinking something that opposes whatshisface.
    A lot of things that have been great advances for society have been labelled "bad" by those in power. Eg, scientific advances back in the day when something that "opposed God" could get you killed.