Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Physicists To Test If Universe Is A Computer Simulation

Discussion in 'Hall of the Elders' started by silvo, Sep 1, 2013.

1. silvo Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  2. SkepticalDragon Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Even if our reality is somehow discovered to be "less" or "more" real by comparison to ours it remains "as real" as it was. So I consider it mostly a triviality. There was a matter in one of my philosophy classes while discussing metaphysics (examining the nature and quality of reality) on "what if we were merely figments of god's imagination".

3. ShadowLinks Hero of Time

Ratings:
    +57 / 1 / -0
    Had a whole philosophy class almost directly related to this called "Knowledge and Reality". Various situations like this and others like the matrix were discuss. Of course one can always take the Descartes route - I think therefore I am

4. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    Reminds me of the ending of one of the Men In Black movies with multiple universes being contained in a marble for aliens to play with.

5. blaze1514 Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Even if our reality is somehow discovered to be “less” or “more” real by comparison to ours it remains “as real” as it was. So I consider it mostly a triviality. There was a matter in one of my philosophy classes while discussing metaphysics (examining the nature and quality of reality) on “what if we were merely figments of god’s imagination“.

I agree. If I fall on my face the pain would be real, when I am mad that rage is real, finding out that I am in a simulation will not change that. In fact it will give me a renewed since of urgency knowing that at any time the plug could be pulled and that would be it for me... for all of us.

6. DemonEyesJoe Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    i think its trivial, say, we DID find out, ok, then, what next? what about the outer reality? is that ALSO a simulation? the matter is, trival things like "where did we come from" and "are we a simulation" are NOTHING as far as our need for knowlege.

i like to tell people, if we found god exists, wont we just wonder where he came from instead? we will always question the "source/meaning of life" even if we find an answer we willl just find more questions to ask

7. silvo Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    @SkepticalDragon you're right reality wouldn't change. if proven a simulation it would not change that it was a simulation nor that it has always been a simulation. However what would change is our perspective of reality we would now know that life is in fact a computer simulation. this would send a ripple effect through out all known and unknown religions of today. not to mention the numerous questions it would raise on the subject, such as "If life is nothing more than a computer simulation, then does that mean that life its self is hackable?" or "Is it possible to communicate with those running the simulation?" "What happens when the simulation is shut off?".

@DemonEyesJoe of course we would our natural curiosity torwerds things is part of the reason we have come so far as a species.

8. SkepticalDragon Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    @SkepticalDragon you’re right reality wouldn’t change. if proven a simulation it would not change that it was a simulation nor that it has always been a simulation. However what would change is our perspective of reality we would now know that life is in fact a computer simulation. this would send a ripple effect through out all known and unknown religions of today. not to mention the numerous questions it would raise on the subject, such as “If life is nothing more than a computer simulation, then does that mean that life its self is hackable?” or “Is it possible to communicate with those running the simulation?” “What happens when the simulation is shut off?”.
    I would generally doubt that our reality is a computer simulation, there is a lack of aberrations or "easter eggs".

It is remotely possible that we are an elaborate simulation that has been designed to include everything that there is or perhaps made to be unaware of the aforementioned aberrations or 'easter eggs'. But this lacks reason, evidence, and would indicate a meticulous intention. Extraordinary claims extraordinary warrant is necessitated for a factual claim... so I am not even sure how someone would present such an extraordinary warrant. This is generally one of the fundamental problems of a religious claims.

Supposing for a moment this extraordinary warrant was found... that this is somehow a computer simulation... it just seems mostly a triviality to me. If there was evidence that we could discover who or what made this alleged simulation, we could modify the simulation, or something along those lines it would be very profoundly emotional but... all of the consequences of such an event seems more like religious theology than it does anything else in which case I am not attracted to such.

9. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    If the universe is a computer then I must be a virus.

That's it! The forbidden fruit was actually a Trojan horse and we the humans are actually the now dysfunctional anti virus program that cannot connect with the host user, God! That would actually be kind of cool.

10. Masterofflys Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Unless you can distinguish between a universe that IS a simulation and a universe that APPEARS to be a simulation, I don't see how this experiment is valid... Also, doesn't the notion that nothing is 'real' render everything pointless? If so, that notion is itself not worth considering other than as a mental exercise.

11. SkepticalDragon Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Unless you can distinguish between a universe that IS a simulation and a universe that APPEARS to be a simulation, I don’t see how this experiment is valid… Also, doesn’t the notion that nothing is ‘real’ render everything pointless? If so, that notion is itself not worth considering other than as a mental exercise.
    That is a valid issue, lacking a comparison or falsifiability. However mental exercise is just as important for the body as it is for the mind. This is why for centuries the humanities were taught to young students in hopes to challenge them. To bring them out of "plato's cave" metaphorically speaking.

12. Masterofflys Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    That is a valid issue, lacking a comparison or falsifiability. However mental exercise is just as important for the body as it is for the mind. This is why for centuries the humanities were taught to young students in hopes to challenge them. To bring them out of “plato’s cave” metaphorically speaking.

Agreed, the ability to conceive of something logically and dismiss it in the next breath just as logically, says something important about humans.
    Supposing this test yielded a confirmed positive result, what could that lead to? I suppose most people would think they were being conned, but what sort of action would this result in? Presumably someone would attempt to communicate with our creators. Considering the (possible) difference in scale between us and them, what would our 13.8 billion years mean to them? Maybe someone's been sat in their swivel chair, staring at the monitor since our universe began? Huh.
    And what was the purpose of the simulation?

13. nyakomayushii Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    damn this is an interesting idea. I think, crazy as it seems, it's a plausible idea. why would someone do this? To explore possibilities, to observe people living under unfavorable circumstances vs. favorable? The Why of it has many possible answers, and also it can be an answer that a human could not understand, because chances are it isn't humanbeings producing this simulation, but a higher power

14. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Part of the problem with this Theory is that it assumes that it's possible to basically create an entire virtual universe. Even though technology continues to advance could it ever reach the point of creating an entire universe with self aware beings that for some reason aren't told the truth? Sure in a way it's kinda possible but without a "real" to compare to how would you ever know this is fake? Lets say god is real and he made everything. Well couldn't intelligent design by god look a lot like intelligent design by nerds?

15. Shanarox Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    To think that all of this suffering, death, disease, corruption, scandal-ism, racism, etc. For those who've met with a terrible fate(no pun intended)and later in life find out soon enough we are all just pawns in some "higher powers" game per say? Just plain sick to me... :mad:

16. blaze1514 Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    So if we find out that the Universe is a fake one.... Then what? Do we try to communicate with the GM's of the universe? Ask them why they made us or what purpose we serve? Do we ask them to end hunger or make our lives better? I just think we should leave it alone. What if it's a South Park reality show style thing where if we find out they pull the plug? Then its the end of us. I do not want the end of us.

17. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    So...

What about my video game characters. Do they feel slighted that we put them through hardships as well? ;)
    Wasn't my fault Kratos, my creator spilled Coffey on his keyboard making me press circle instead of triangle.