Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Nomination Thread

Discussion in 'SOS Brigade (Clubs)' started by Ovyda, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Ovyda The Phantom Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I saw we have one, but I'd like to make some changes and start everything freshly. If Metazoxan is not happy with this, we can easily get rid of this thread. I simply want everything to be organized and finally to get moving. There's no more point to keep prolonging it.

Rules are copied from Meta's thread with some adjustments.

Welcome to the manga nomination thread. Here you can nominate manga that will then be voted on. The winning manga will then be discussed by the group. Nominations will be handled on a first come, first serve basis. So if you want your nomination to get in don’t waste time. But please nominate a manga you actually think people would want to discuss and not just your personal favorite.

Must follow these rules:

1. Each person can nominate only ONE manga per activity.

2. First 5 nominations will be used.

3. Nominations must be between 10-50 chapters (exceptions MIGHT be allowed provided they aren't too over. So 55 might be okay but 75 would be out).

4. For long Shounen manga you can nominate an arc rather than the series itself. For example, you can nominate 1st arc of Psyren. If it wins, then the next time you are now allowed to nominate 2nd arc or 3rd and so on. While you don't have to start from the first arc please be mindful of those that haven't read most of all the shonen already. Skipping arcs is only being allowed so that less popular arcs can be skipped and the arcs that people like and want to discuss can be focused on. Also the 3 latest arcs cannot be nominated. Note: The arc mustn't exceed 55 chapters.

5. Don’t participate if you have no intention of discussing. This is a vote to discuss manga and not a popularity poll. This doesn't mean you’ll be in trouble if you nominate or vote and then aren't active in the discussion but there is no point if you vote for what to discuss and don't show up.

6. Currently publishing manga is allowed only if it has already more than 30 chapters.

Feel free to join us anytime! Now start nominating guys :p

@Sporadic
    @Kusanagi
    @Eclipse
    @Karmadelta
    @Amaturemanga
    @Envy
    @Blazer
    @sayWut
    @Evilspirit
    @Metazoxan
    @bk-201
    @Kinrah
    @RodRule
    @delta
    @Znelson
    @Mafiacow
    @the-alpha-hobo
    @ninjaghosttm
    @takodextro
    @Rhytmicjealousy
    @kurokagedeadman
    @Shadowlinks
    @Shifter101
    @crazydawg444
    @lunar
    @sujugirl
    @Dcmac
    @mryoso901
    @jacleg029
    @shade
    @maworp3
    @gomi500
    @marhuto

2. Ovyda The Phantom Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    I nominate: http://myanimelist.net/manga/24879/Sugar_Dark:_Umerareta_Yami_to_Shoujo

3. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Not bad but I have one question

#4. One of the problems that happened when we had a long shonen as a winner was that no one really wanted to discuss the first arc. It was Fairy Tail and the first arc is pretty much just there to set up the rest of the series so no one seemed into it. So it might be good to remove the "Start from first arc" rule. But maybe we could still limit it to starting with one if the first three or something so that nominations aren't jumping everywhere from the last finished arc to the most recent. Or maybe exclude any arcs the anime hasn't covered for those that watch the anime and don't want to spoil future episodes with the manga. It's just a thought.

4. Ovyda The Phantom Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    Well that just means FT ain't going to win if people aren't interested. It doesn't make sense to start from like 3rd arc. Means before I can join, I have to catch up? Isn't this club for everyone to start manga from zero?

We can just make as side activities FT, OP, Naruto, etc (mainstream ones) if people really want it. But I'd prefer having manga club for reading something that is less known or doesn't have anime adaption already.

You are still the boss, so do as you think it's best.

5. ShadowLinks Hero of Time

Ratings:
    +57 / 1 / -0
    Nominate Immortal Regis
    http://myanimelist.net/manga/3194/Immortal_Regis

No real opinion from me on the mainstream manga other than maybe leaving a dedicated thread for those requested.

6. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Well that just means FT ain’t going to win if people aren’t interested. It doesn’t make sense to start from like 3rd arc. Means before I can join, I have to catch up? Isn’t this club for everyone to start manga from zero?

We can just make as side activities FT, OP, Naruto, etc (mainstream ones) if people really want it. But I’d prefer having manga club for reading something that is less known or doesn’t have anime adaption already.

You are still the boss, so do as you think it’s best.

Well most people have read or watched a good portion of the mainstreams. Enough to where I can't imagine needing to read the first art to keep up being much of an issue. The main point I was thinking of free arc nomination was so that people could nominate their favorite arcs. For example say I wanted to nominate "Enies Lobby" arc from One Piece. But I'd have to nominate everything before that point first? Who hasn't seen or read the first couple arcs of One piece?

If someone has not reached that arc yet they can certainly request the nomination be removed. But if We keep the first nomination limited to the first few arcs or exclude the last few latest arcs then most people should have at least gotten that far. Anyone who hasn't probably hates that series and wouldn't want to read it anyway.

If I'm over estimating people's exposure to mainstream shonen then sorry. I'm just trying to keep options open so that people can enjoy themselves. Some rules are needed to keep people from doing stupid stuff but I try not to be too controlling beyond what is needed. So don't feel like "Because I'm the boss whatever I say goes without question" I'm talking to you because I do care what you and others think and want. I do agree about reading less known stuff is preferable (Since I've already seen most mainstream shonen why would I want to read them again?) but if other people really want to I'm not going to stop them. After all if there is a lesser known manga you really want to share you can always make an independant thread.

I think those might thrive a bit more than they are currently if we can just get normal events running a little more smoothly. Members will come by more regularly and may comment in a few other threads while they are here for events.

7. Ovyda The Phantom Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    I just forced in myself and tried to change everything drastically. So I already might went overboard. Just really do how you think it's better because I haven't ran any group before on JD, JDR and DTR. You should know better how everything works.

So far, I don't even see that members are interested... This club either needs to be advertised more or people just don't find manga interesting maybe.

8. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    I'll let others give it a shot first. I'm relatively new to reading manga so I don't have any good suggestions yet.

9. RodRule Duct Tape is the answer to all life's questions.

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    I nominate +Anima, I have read it once not that long ago and if it wins I will read it again.

http://www.anime-planet.com/manga/anima

10. Ovyda The Phantom Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    So we have 3 nominations so far. Well this is going unexpectedly slow.

11. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    You expected this to be quick? :D

12. Dcmac Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  13. Ovyda The Phantom Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    You expected this to be quick? [​IMG]

Well yeah. I mentioned like 35 people, so it's either people don't give a fuck or are super inactive... how hard is to check something you got mentioned? o.o

14. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Sporadic wrote:

Well yeah. I mentioned like 35 people, so it’s either people don’t give a fuck or are super inactive… how hard is to check something you got mentioned? o.o

Now you see why maintaining this club is such a challange? Simply setting up emails, contacting everyone, and showing an effort to participate myself doesn't mean the activity will just flow. That is why I decided to gather a little help to keep things flowing. Just one person posting over and over doesn't make for an interesting club.

Also I changed rule 4 to allow for more free range. But I tried to word it so that people will nominate the earliest possible arc they feel like discussing. That way the intro arc that no one seems to want to discuss can be skipped (Seriously despite Fairy Tail's popularity on this forum that thread was so dead even the chirping crickets had gotten bored and left) but we aren't losing half the club by going to an arc only big fans have bothered to read yet. If there are any more changes to the wording you think I over looked let me know.

15. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    Sporadic wrote:

Well yeah. I mentioned like 35 people, so it’s either people don’t give a fuck or are super inactive… how hard is to check something you got mentioned? o.o

I immediately see 10 people on the list that are inactive. People aren't just going to magically flow in and participate because you mention them. They have to want to participate. And right now a lot of people don't. This club also needs a main thread. Meta if you'd like I can dig up the archive from JustDubs for the old Manga Club thread so you can repost it.

I'll nominate Zennou no Noa so we can speed this up.
    http://myanimelist.net/manga/20597/Zennou_no_Noa_-_The_World_of_Lostmemories

I'll leave creating the voting thread up to Meta since I'm not sure about his guidelines for this vote. If we're picking two or just one, I'm not sure how you wanna do it.

16. Ovyda The Phantom Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    @Metazoxan, voting thread is left in your hands :)

We need to advertise this club more on the forums I suppose. Now it's kinda hidden.

17. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Had something to do today to ended up only stopping by rather late. If I don't make the thread today I'll get it done early tomarrow.

Ovyda wrote:

Sporadic wrote:

I immediately see 10 people on the list that are inactive. People aren’t just going to magically flow in and participate because you mention them. They have to want to participate. And right now a lot of people don’t. This club also needs a main thread. Meta if you’d like I can dig up the archive from JustDubs for the old Manga Club thread so you can repost it.

I’ll nominate Zennou no Noa so we can speed this up.

http://myanimelist.net/manga/20597/Zennou_no_Noa_-_The_World_of_Lostmemories

I’ll leave creating the voting thread up to Meta since I’m not sure about his guidelines for this vote. If we’re picking two or just one, I’m not sure how you wanna do it.

The manga club was only a little more active on the old forum as well. The events lasted a little longer a few times but participation was still pretty lacking so I don't know if there is anything from the old thread worth reposting. If you see anything then feel free but we'd probably be better off trying to get something new going here to draw people in..... maybe we should find a way to get more members interested in manga. At first I didn't care much for manga and the first few I read were manga that continued the stories that anime left unfinished. After that I started reading a few others and my interest grew from there. so if we can just lure a few members in maybe we can get a few of them interested in reading manga and people new to reading manga will probably be eager to talk about it so that would work out even better for us.

But how would we go about doing that? We could make threads to discuss small manga that might help give people a good taste but that won't draw people in. We need some kinda event that even people who aren't exactly manga readers might be interested in.

18. Metazoxan Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Rather than making a voting thread why not just put the vote in here?
    @Sporadic
    @Kusanagi
    @Eclipse
    @Karmadelta
    @Amaturemanga
    @Envy
    @Blazer
    @sayWut
    @Evilspirit
    @Metazoxan
    @bk-201
    @Kinrah
    @RodRule
    @delta
    @Znelson
    @Mafiacow
    @the-alpha-hobo
    @ninjaghosttm
    @takodextro
    @Rhytmicjealousy
    @kurokagedeadman
    @Shadowlinks
    @Shifter101
    @crazydawg444
    @lunar
    @sujugirl
    @Dcmac
    @mryoso901
    @jacleg029
    @shade
    @maworp3
    @gomi500
    @marhuto

The Rules will be quite simple. Each person may have two votes. One for the manga they want to read the most and a second for the second most. Anyone who votes needs to participate in the winning manga's discussion. We will only have one official winner but anyone who wants to make threads to discuss losing manga is free to do so themselves you can even make it an unofficial event if you want. Voting will end after three days but can be extended if needed. The actual voting will be carried out in the same way as the elimination game. Be sure to put your username under the manga you wish you vote for as well as remembering to change the number. If anyone has a problem with the rules let me know. I am open to changing them.

Sugar Dark(0)

Immortal Regis(0)

+Anima(0)

Watashitachi no Tamura-kun(0)

Zennou no Noa(0)

19. Eclipse Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Sugar Dark (1)

Immortal Regis (0)

+Anima (0)

Watashitachi no Tamura-kun (1)

Zennou no Noa (0)

20. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    It's up to you where you wanna post the votes. I just thought they would be cluttered in the nominations thread.

Sugar Dark (1)
    Immortal Regis (1)
    +Anima (0)
    Watashitachi no Tamura-kun (1)
    Zennou no Noa (1)