Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Light Pollution

Discussion in 'Hall of the Elders' started by SkepticalDragon, Jun 26, 2013.

1. SkepticalDragon Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Being an amateur astronomer and stargazer my metaphorical mortal enemy is light pollution, that has stolen away the night sky from millions and raised millions more without really realizing what is missing. I have again and again taken my friends out into frontier areas (less populated than rural areas) to see the glorious night sky for the first time. Again and again my friends are shocked to see how dark it can be and how many stars there really are up there that they have been missing.

Light pollution is generally ignored by environmentalists and subsequently by environmental laws. Some places have enacted some minimal anti-light pollution ordinances or policies, generally long-term policies but regretfully many of these laws are unfunded or in some cases unenforceable because of lack of execution. Likewise the political culture has generally accepted that light pollution is unavoidable. There are many methods of avoiding or preventing light pollution, but perhaps the most simple and obvious is adjusting outdoor lighting downwards.

[​IMG]

Other methods of controlling light pollution include avoiding the cluttering of lights, changing of the light source, lowering illumination, and even including sensors to detect low light (or even motion) so that the lights are used as needed. Some of the practical applications of this it avoids lights shining in windows at night which most people favor, it saves money (most of all if less illumination is used and it is placed on a sensor), it clears up the night sky, and it helps the night be darker.

Light pollution has been shown in some studies to deleterious to plant, animal, and human health. In humans it is linked or correlated to physical, mental, and behavioral issues including sleep dysfunction. Advocates in favor of more lighting argue that it prevents crime, causes a sense of security and safety, as well as allowing work to continue. But this ignores that the evidence of lighting or more lighting at all preventing crime is minimal and not conclusive, also that the means of preventing light pollution would not eliminate light it would simply reduce its growing and broad affect. But regarding a sense of safety and security... this is all too true. Studies have shown a psychological preference for stores at night that are more illuminated.

As I am planning another trip to view the glorious night sky I look to a somewhat out of date (2005ish?) light pollution map of North America (http://www.jshine.net/astronomy/dark_sky/) This map is colored according to the Bortle scale (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bortle_scale). If you are mildly considering about doing the same be aware that light levels most likely have increased all across North America, take into special consideration cloud coverage, sunset/sunrise, moonrise/moonset, as well as the phase of the moon.

Why the topic? Is this a dragon's soapbox speech or sharing something he likes? Most likely. Regardless I hope you enjoyed. Good stargazing.

2. RodRule Duct Tape is the answer to all life's questions.

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    I did not read everything I will later I just came to say this is one of the reasons I like living in a little town on or by the side of the mountain I don't remember the exact location of us to the mountain.

3. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    It's bad here in Las Vegas. I can't see stars a night most of the time.

4. plantkingman Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Its not to bad here in Orange Park.

5. SkepticalDragon Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you mean Orange Park, Florida from the old map it looks like maybe Bortle level 6-7? Which would be better than Jacksonville, Florida... The nearest low area according to the somewhat antiquated map I posted above would be the Steinhatchee Conservation Area, which according to this old map would be a level 2, but that most likely has increased since then to a level 3 or a low 4.

Las Vegas, Nevada has a very high Bortle level, because of the overwhelming light pollution it would easily be a level 9. Getting out into the Mojave National Preserve might give you a better view, or perhaps even better Troy Peak.

Again old information... and getting out to these areas will not necessarily mean a good view of the sky as clouds, the moon phase, and other factors play into it. I am also making no recommendations or assurances... and the areas I mentioned above are just a noticable land marker from google maps. For example I am not sure if the Steinhatchee Conservation Area is somewhere you can be at night...