Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Is the Electoral College a Detriment to American Democracy?

Discussion in 'Hall of the Elders' started by Timekeeper, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Timekeeper Great Big Jerk

Ratings:
    +125 / 0 / -0
    Those who believe the Electoral College should be abolished:

Those who believe it should stay:

So what's your opinion? From what I've seen so far, I've never seen someone (aside from the woman in the second video) say that the electoral college should remain in the US Election system

2. Lince Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +118 / 0 / -0
    "Encouraged Coalition Building" - I don't know about you, but a "coalition" from a government standpoint doesn't sound like a good thing.

"Given a voice to both big and small states" - Okay, so if your state isn't New York, Florida, California, or Texas, you can GTFO

"Discouraged Voter Fraud" - Yea okay.

I know nothing about politics. I'm about as politically apathetic as you can get, and it's because I know that nothing is as it seems and you can't trust what anyone says in the government. Also trying to make sense of our political system is like trying to learn algebra without knowing how to add. I'm not one of those conspiracy loons, but I kindly reject modern politics.

3. Core Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +488 / 0 / -0
    Unfortunately, I cannot watch the videos due to internet. But, from what I understand, the Electoral College votes in the new president.
    Could someone mind giving a summed up explanation of what this is?
    If I understand correctly, we are just voting so that other people can vote for us? I'm not sure if I like that idea too much. I understand that there are electors who are pledged, and some unpledged. It just bothers me that these select few electors could be bribed. It's so much harder trying to bribe an entire nation, I would think, rather then these few people who participate in the electoral college.

4. Timekeeper Great Big Jerk

Ratings:
    +125 / 0 / -0
    Here's a basic rundown of the electoral college:

You cast your vote on Election Day. Then, your state's electors either vote for whomever the majority of the population in their state picked or they vote for whomever they want.

So you could have 90% of the population of your state saying they @Lince to be the president, but the elector instead chooses me just because THEY want to

This is where people gain the mindset of "my vote doesn't count", because every citizen in your state could vote for the democrats when it was all for naught because the elector chose to vote for the republican candidate instead

• Like Like x 1
  5. Core Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +488 / 0 / -0
    So pretty much, our votes are just showing who we want as president to the ones who will do the real voting.
    Well, now I know what I will vote for. I did my voter's registration recently, and went with "unaffiliated". I'll only vote for someone who is unaffiliated now. Thanks for that, makes sense.