Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

I F*cking Love Science

Discussion in 'Hall of the Elders' started by Sporadic, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    This page I go to, IFLS, does a weekly "This week in science" giving some of the headlines in science for the week. I was hoping some of the headlines would give us a few topics of discussion. Each week I will post the new one to generate fresh material for discussion.

Gene therapy: http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/35995/title/Genes-Get-in-Your-Eye/
    Multiple Sclerosis: http://www.northwestern.edu/newscenter/stories/2013/06/big-multiple-sclerosis-breakthrough.html?utm_campaign
    New layer of the cornea: http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/36027/title/New-Structure-Found-in-Human-Cornea/
    Bioengineered vein: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/06/130606110026.htm
    Dark matter: http://www.space.com/21508-dark-matter-atoms-disks.html
    Gene patents: http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/36011/title/Supreme-Court-Nixes-Patenting-Human-Genes/

2. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    "Intravitreal injection, whereby a needle is pushed into the eye’s vitreous, or gel-like core, is a common drug delivery procedure performed under local anesthetic in a doctor’s office, explained Bennett." I just about lost my lunch.

(I'll continue reading and comment when I'm not queasy.)

3. Masterofflys Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Reading the last headline, I couldn't help but think: if this is something that needs to go to court, what does that say about the state of the world? Human genes precede humans, whereas patents are a process for protecting something that you've created. How could someone manage to get that wrong?

4. Shogun13 Lord of the Dance

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Its actually really simple. Its an argument of discovery vs. invention. If Boeing makes a new wing design, they didn't make the physics that make it better. However the method and mechanism may be filed under the same patent.
    So methods that use these genes for therapies are using genes that others have discovered and developed methods for. So while the genes themselves existed in ourselves and our relatives, the uses and methods of usage may be considered under patent law.
    Of course at the same time I agree completely with the court on this as patents would halt a lot of research into a barely populated field. Genomics and Epigenomics are really young fields in research and it would be a real shame if patent law (which is always so arbitrary) could be used as a stick.

5. Shogun13 Lord of the Dance

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Sorry for double post, but I wanted to make sure that I remembered the case.
    The genes at issue were BRCA1 and BRCA2. They're DNA repair genes that are one of the common tumor suppressor genes. Their mutation often leads to breast cancer. They were patented by a guy, whose name escapes me, who discovered a method to easily isolate it. He then basically went and made a company, Myriad, that offers to test the genes for a high price. His patent basically made it so that "generics" couldn't get involved, so he could charge quite high prices.
    Now competition can enter that market.

6. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    Sorry for double post, but I wanted to make sure that I remembered the case.
    The genes at issue were BRCA1 and BRCA2. They’re DNA repair genes that are one of the common tumor suppressor genes. Their mutation often leads to breast cancer. They were patented by a guy, whose name escapes me, who discovered a method to easily isolate it. He then basically went and made a company, Myriad, that offers to test the genes for a high price. His patent basically made it so that “generics” couldn’t get involved, so he could charge quite high prices.
    Now competition can enter that market.

Ah that kind of brought my questions into light. I was a little confused about the entire thing and didn't have to time to go further into the article. That summed it up nicely, thank you.

7. Masterofflys Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Shogun- yeah I had imagined that to be the case, though in less legal and more raw logical terms. I think it could go further than that though in general. If something is seen to be a massive benefit humanity, one person shouldn't be allowed to monopolise it, even if they did invent it. I mean realistically speaking, someone else could 'invent' it completely independently at another point in time. An idea doesn't have to be unique to be original. So I can't fairly believe that any one concept 'belongs' to any one person or group.

8. Shogun13 Lord of the Dance

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    But at that point it becomes a question of gradation. Is space travel a massive benefit when it makes human extinction that much more impossible? Lovistatin is such an incredible benefit to humanity (at least Americans) should it be monopolized?
    Also note that the Supreme Court ruled that artificial sequences can be patented. This means that a variety of methods like gene therapy and other such methods are still able to be patented as a normal drug would.

9. silvo Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ..........who tried to patent genes? how was that even an issue they felt the need to make a ruling on?

10. Shogun13 Lord of the Dance

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Myriad did. Guy who runs it found the gene, found a way to isolate it, and charged money to test for it.

11. silvo Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I wasn't aware they were able to get patents on genetic constructs. read the other day they're working on pin pointing the part of our genetic code that controls aging. wonder how long till they start altering our DNA from berth to create superior humans?

12. Shogun13 Lord of the Dance

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Eugenics has taken a major hit in the scientific community due to evolutionary biology and epidemiology. Evolutionary biology because now its understood that there are tradeoffs that are not worth messing with and that evolution isn't working toward perfection. Epidemiology because there is a greater realization that messing with the MHC might cause a greater susceptibility to epidemics.
    Tailored genes (which is how I like to refer to them) are becoming increasingly possible, however its still prohibitively expensive. I could imagine that if one weren't picky (aka you just say that you want them to have these 5 alleles), you could find that simply through genetic testing morulae until you find the one that fits the criterion. However the days where we can fix things with transgenes is still a bit off.

13. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
  14. plantkingman Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    All these leaps in science were bound to happen. I knew that it was only a matter of time before human organs would start being cloned. It would be safer and less likely to be rejected by the body as well as cloned veins.

15. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    Naked mole rats, penis with teeth.

16. Crazy Potato Designer

Ratings:
    +207 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the science week I had a great chat with someone about the topics you posted. :D

17. Jaysp656 Artificial Intelligence

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Awesome stuff there Spor

18. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    I knew you'd like the ultrasound producing genitals.