Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

WWII movies

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Doomguy, May 31, 2016.

1. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    @jmriz let's get fill up this thread eh?

Von Ryan's Express-Prisoners band together and hijack a train to get away from the Germans. They have to dodge enemy agents and even friendly bombers to make the break to freedom. I always liked this movie

The Dirty Dozen-Get the most unlikely misfits in the army and string them together to conduct an extremely dangerous mission. This one was cool since none of the heroes were your prototypical "nice guys"

Where Eagles Dare-I believe it was based on a book actually. Correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway it has early Clint Eastwood mowing down Germans in a castle. Come on that should be enough right? The actual plot is pretty good though

Enemy Below-Submarine movie time, while no ultimate sub life movie (that belongs to Das Boot), I recall enjoying this one when the action started to get tense.

So many more, haven't even touched the gory ones yet.

• Like Like x 1
  2. jmriz Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    The Great Escape - adaption of real story where American and British POW's escape from a German POW camp and stars Steve McQueen, James Garner, and Richard Attenborough. One of my favorite movies because of memories of watching it with my dad as a little kid and him telling me stories of when he was stationed for 5 years in Germany in the 80's

Bridge on the River Kwai - Another movie i watched with my dad, set in the jungles of Burma where British and American POW's are held by the Japanese. Great movie, ends bittersweet though. Stars Sir Alec Guinness, Sessue Hayakawa, and William Holden.

Go For Broke - My favorite WWII movie next to The Great Escape. The most decorated unit in US military history, and made up of Japanese-American volunteers, the 442nd Regimental Combat Team fights heroically despite widespread prejudice from fellow soldiers. Stars Van Johnson and Lane Nakano. Note: A majority of the cast members were actual vets who fought in the 442nd, so it adds to the authenticity of the movie!!

The Guns Of Navarone - A classic WWII movie which I like a lot. Two powerful German guns control the seas past the Greek island of Navarone making the evacuation of endangered British troops on a neighboring island impossible. Air attack is useless so a team of six Allied and Greek soldiers is put ashore to meet up with partisans to try and dynamite the guns. And the rest you can watch. Stars Gregory Peck, David Niven, and Anthony Quinn

3. Core Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +488 / 0 / -0
    Saving Private Ryan- Saw this when I was little. Didn't remember much detail, except when a soldier with a flamethrower got his tank blown up. Saw it when I got older, and it was quite detailed. What struck me was how the soldiers' blood made little streams as it flowed down the beach. And when the bunkers on the beach were cleared out via flamethrower.
    "Don't shoot. Just let them burn."
    I just think that there had to be some other way to prep D-Day ( or was it V-Day?), rather than let the German MG turrets clean out an invading deployment vessels as soon as they opened on the beach.

4. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    Saving Private Ryan was intense the first time I saw it. Actually still holds up very good. I remember actually the video game "Medal of Honor : Frontline Assault" the first level had you attack those same beaches on D-Day and it just struck me as really similar to the movie.
    Of course that's an older Xbox game but it was still memorable.

I think I saw Bridge on the River Kwai, sounds really familiar. Could be mixing it up with another pacific film, their were a few.
    One I really need to see again is Enemy at the Gates. It's the one with the sniper.

Tora Tora Tora covers the attack on Pearl Harbor. If you want a more modern action then see the more Micheal Bay like "Pearl Harbor".

5. jmriz Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    Enemy At The Gates was really good!!!
    You should watch Go For Broke