Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Why is One Piece ending on Toonami? (help I guess)

Discussion in 'Anime & Manga Chat' started by DubAnimeLover, Mar 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DubAnimeLover Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    So...

I was watching Toonami last night and they stated that One Piece will no longer be airing on it.

Does anyone know why?

I don't want to hear some HORRID BS excuse like 'ratings' they have it at a 'death slot' time.

Either way this is BS.

:mad:

2. Vladnyx Everyone is the main character of their own life.

Ratings:
    +609 / 0 / -0
    Apparently One Piece wasn't obtaining the views that Toonami wanted from it. Since it began airing it was pulling roughly 800,000-1.2 million views and since then the numbers have fallen by nearly half that amount. Could be fans lost interest or it just fell into a poor arc. So now they are replacing it with Tokyo Ghoul come March 25th. Out of all the shows they could have gotten I'm lost as to why they chose this. Over this time Toonami has pushed back the programming block by half an hour back during Octomber I believe, and now runs on Saturdays from 12:00 a.m. to 3:30 a.m. To me it would have been easier to add a half hour back to the time block & keep One Piece.

Recently to my knowledge their programming block has added Dragonball Super along with Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn since January or early February. As a side note to that they'll be airing I.G's live-action CG series "Sand Whale & Me" next Saturday if I am recalling the date correctly.

Anyway hope this answered your question and I'm sorry as I know how it is to have a show your devoted to watching being pulled from a network.​

3. Vashnik Guest

『   』
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Pretty much this. It's the ratings.*

I was disappointed to hear they were dropping One Piece, but who knows what they intend to do after Tokyo Ghoul has aired. They might be trying to give One Piece a break and run something new (and a bit more recent) before jumping back to One Piece again.

Dragon Ball Z Kai is gearing up towards the end, although there seem to be a bit more dubbed episodes to go through than subbed so it won't end quite as soon as it's subbed counterpart. 59 episodes to go (58 if you're counting the one that just aired on Toonami yesterday). They could bring One Piece back at that time slot for one arc to see if ratings improve, or the other likely alternative is another programming shuffle including adding a new series. Adult Swim does need to stop trying to kill Toonami by choking their airing time though. A lot of people have been on Toonami's Facebook page complaining about a lack of earlier start times.

*I'm not entirely sure it's all ratings though.
    I'm pretty sure there is a bonehead in there purposely trying to sabotage Toonami;
    Like the last jerk who tried to kill Cartoon Network completely.
    But that just my opinion.
    There really was however someone trying to kill Cartoon Network.

4. DubAnimeLover Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Did I not say that I didn't want to hear 'ratings' at the excuse? Because I'm pretty sure that I did.

It's a UNBELIEVABLY RIDICULOUS AND HORRID BS EXCUSE.

*sighs*

It's going to be a LONG time before I watch One Piece again then. Because even though I have a job now and have been buying anime One Piece is a long series that seems like it will NEVER end with a CRAPTON of DVDs.

I do plan on buying One Piece on DVD but not anytime soon. I have too much other stuff to buy first and, like I said, it's a long series.

The worst part is that I've been having seemingly non-stop health issues and had to temporarily quit my current job twice already. So I've had to quit buy DVDs yet again.

I'm going to watch Tokyo Ghoul (because I've heard too much about it and it was on my to-watch list anyway) but this is still BS and I don't want to hear 'ratings' as the excuse.

I thought Adult Swim weren't ANIME HATERS anymore but they are showing that they clearly still are.

5. Vladnyx Everyone is the main character of their own life.

Ratings:
    +609 / 0 / -0
    I'm sorry @DubAnimeLover as you did state you didn't want to hear ratings as the excuse. Nonetheless this may not be the leading cause. Further searching has me suspect to believe Toonami only had licensing rights to air up until a certain number of episodes. To put things into perspective, One Piece's last episode to air on Toonami was episode 384 from what I found out. Funimation's dub, on the other hand, is all the way past 500 now. To try and place this in perspective it may not be entirely Toonami's fault. One Piece isn't under the same licensing stipulations as Dragonball Super is which is also from Funimation. Right now for all we know it could be a legal battle to acquire licensing rights to air more episodes. What also leads me to think this is possible is Toonami may have signed a deal with Funimation to air Tokyo Ghoul at some given point as they also own license rights to it.

Now as to why ratings matter I'll explain why it's not as horrid an excuse as you make it out to be. Believe it or not it does serve a purpose regardless of how bloody much we hate it. As you clearly already know TV ratings measure the popularity of a program, in terms of the number and proportion of viewers. These ratings are crucial for the commercial broadcasters who are able to charge more for advertisement slots during high-rated programs. Depending on TV ratings, broadcasters may drop shows from their lineups, or switch them to different times where they have a better chance of being more popular. This allows networks to sell advertising time at higher rates if their programming has higher ratings, because the ads will likely be seen by more people.

In the end I don't wish to anger or upset you. I get it this news sucks when your a fan, but to say that Adult Swim are Anime haters is pushing it rather far. You may have considered Cartoon Network & Adult Swim the same network, though thing is.... they're not, at least, not anymore. You may know this all already and if not it'll only shed light to why they don't hate Anime but just the opposite.

While it's true that Adult Swim began as a block on Cartoon Network, and in a way, kind of still is, it has become a completely separate entity from CN despite them being under the Cartoon Network umbrella like Boomerang. Adult Swim has their own website, their own ratings reports, their own web presence, staff, programming management, scheduling practices, etc. You can find them categorized as separate networks through your TV service provider. You can even go to practically any video streaming/download service, and you'll see Adult Swim listed separately, as its own network.

The current Adult Swim and Cartoon Network each have separate management, staff, scheduling, ratings reports, ect. Just really felt I should clear up the this potential confusion. It hurts me how some think reviving Toonami was Cartoon Networks idea, when CN has almost no say in Adult Swim's management as they're run by completely different people. Adultswim themselves even heard the fans responses due to pulled effort on a site that still remains today known as Toonami Fan.

Am I going to say it was entirely their decision no, but they did hear us we the fans and they brought Toonami back. Even now there continuing to bring us new anime series. For the past 2-3 years they have provided us with Space Dandy, Naruto Shippuden, Sword Art Online, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Blue Exorcist, Black Lagoon, Attack On Titan, Hellsing Ultimate, Gurren Lagann, Deadman Wonder Land, Dimension W, and the list goes on & on. If they truly disliked Anime then why even bother to revive Toonami and continue to keep it going after all these years.

• Like Like x 3
  6. DubAnimeLover Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Either way it seems likely I'll have to watch One Piece from the beginning once I get around to buying the DVDs as I seriously doubt it'll show back up on Toonami due to their BS 'ratings' excuse.

7. Vladnyx Everyone is the main character of their own life.

Ratings:
    +609 / 0 / -0
    Well you don't necessarily have to watch One Piece from the beginning. I gave you the episode number which Toonami left off at. If you like you can continue with where it left off such as watching the episodes here or through Funimation's Streaming service which has a 14 day free trial that later becomes a $5.99 monthly fee unless you pay the full annual amount. And that service doesn't cover just One Piece. From what I can tell Funimation has only released One Piece up to collection 19 which covers episodes 446 - 468. So to buy them all your looking at a lot of money to even own what is currently released to DVD. Funimation still has access to releasing another 100 episodes or more (So say Collections 23-24 if they were keeping up) and the Subbed version in nearing 800 episodes. Even if you got all the current DVD's for say $20 that's nearly $400 on it's own & that doesn't cover the movies if you also want those as well.

I'm not trying to talk you out of buying them, but that's a large scale investment. And hey if your serious about buying the DVD's I'm more than happy to help you find the cheapest prices possible. Just let me know anytime. And frankly I'm sure I'm not the only person who'd be more than willing to help you out with that.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    It's time someone made Toonami Great Again

9. TheAuraKnight Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    Meh just watch it here! XD

• Like Like x 1
  10. DubAnimeLover Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    DVDs are clearly the only option. I can't find a good place to stream anime anymore. Most places have annoying watermarks except here and here I run into broken stuff that never gets fixed.

11. Vashnik Guest

『   』
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Alright. Let me lay it out for you.

For DVD's you can use RightStuf. They're always discounted down from retail and they ship faster than any retail store, including Amazon.

Second, the staff here are volunteers. None of us get paid at all. All the money we get is directly put into the bills for this network, including, but not limited to hosting, domains, forum licenses, and addons/plugins. Some staff pay out of their own pocket to help keep the site going to provide you a free service. In order for staff to help pay for the site, we do have our own lives and real life work. Laximus and her team of content managers (which we're down to about 3 total, including Lax) are working as fast as they can to fix episodes. Sorry, us volunteers are not working fast enough for you, but we're not quitting our real life work to work full-time on the site. None of us can afford to do that. So unless you want to pay everyone's salary for full-time work, I suggest you check that attitude at the login screen.

I am locking this thread since the answer has been provided to you.

• Like Like x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.