Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Resolved Why Does JDO Lag so Bad when I Type?

Discussion in 'Customer Support' started by blaze1514, Jul 29, 2015.

1. blaze1514 Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I had always assumed it was a result of the forum host. However I recently became active on another site that uses XenForo and learned this is not the case. Whenever I type a reply in the forum, it lags. What is on the screen can be 3 or more sentences behind what I am actually typing at some points. Althoug I will note that when in an isolated reply area (like the "More options" and the "create thread" area) It has almost no lag what-so-ever.
    Is there some kind of script or other taxing thing in the background of standard thread pages?

Just to note; I have had this problem on 3 different rigs, and have tested it on three popular browsers on each rig.

2. Vashnik Guest

『   』
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You can probably find out through the developer tools in your browser. Chrome (or any Chromium-based browser for that matter), Microsoft Edge, Safari and Firefox all come with one, though I'm not sure about others. You can typically see what's taking the longest to load in the network section of the developer tools. You can also see what errors and warnings the browser discovered. Also, if you're like me, you may have modified your "hosts" file to block specific domain names by routing those names to 127.0.0.1, which has an uncanny ability to cause your browser to continuously load the page's content and never stop, even though the browser has established that some of the linked content can't be reached. AdBlock Plus also seems to have a similar issue with certain sites. (Blizzard's Starcraft II blog is a good example, since I've whitelisted the site and it worked as normal, remove the site from the whitelist and the browser thinks it has to load everything, even if it's been blocked.) If you notice something taking a long time to load in the developer tools' Network section, then your AdBlock (or similar add-on) or your "hosts" file settings and try whitelisting the sites.

Also, make sure your hard drive isn't at 100% activity, ensure you're not running out of available memory, and make sure your computer isn't trying to do a bunch of background tasks.

That's about all I can think of to check at the moment.

3. Kiri Retired staff

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    @blaze1514 Unfortunately I can not replicate this on my end. As I'm typing this now, there is zero lag between what I'm typing and what id being displayed on the screen. JDO does use a very customized theme, unlike most XenForo based forums. That said, the forum will automatically create drafts of what you are typing in any large text field (such as the Quick Reply box) every minute. On slower Internet connections, this my cause the field to delay while being saved. This is the only explanation I can think of at this time.

4. dedseed1 Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Using Chrome on a samsung galaxy s5 and I've never had that issue here

5. Natsuru-san Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    @Kiri Since it was brought up and while I'm sure this won't do much good (Since u say u need to replicate it), I'd just like to back up what blaze is saying is true. For me, if I type a lot in the box below all the posts it then starts to lag. The only way to fix it is to post, or, simply copy what I wrote, close the tab I was typing in down and go back to the thread in a new tab and paste the text I typed into the box like before. Doing this fixes it but it doesn't prevent the issue from occurring each time I type a lot of text, perhaps this is the cause of the slow down? I do know it never lags when I'm not typing a lot and it goes without saying but, I have a really fast internet connection and so on so I know it isn't because of a slow internet connection. And incase u r wondering, there is no lag for this small of a post for me, I'd estimate it's 3-4 x this amount in order for the lag to start.

@blaze1514 see the above message to Kiri for a temp fix to this prob and also, just wondering, does it lag on your end only when u type a lot?

6. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    Only time I've ever had this issue was on an old rig.

7. blaze1514 Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    The issue comes up with any typing I do. However the longer the post gets, the worse the lag is. Also I am on a netbook now, but the problem as I said, even occurred on my previous faster machine. As for the browser, I use IE. My netbook has poor memory, and trying to use any of the other browsers (other than Firefox, which I am just personally not a fan of) never turns out well.