Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Why does 90% of anime lovers hate english dubs?

Discussion in 'Anime & Manga Chat' started by Nikkonolasco, Apr 29, 2013.

1. minisiets Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    -It’s not natural for a Japanese show.
    -The English voice actors show no emotion.
    -They don’t use honorifics like san, kun, and sama.

My responses to the above criticisms:
    - Hellsing.
    - It's called subtlety, something that Japanese seiyuus could actually take a lesson from.
    - Trivial omissions.

Ultimately it comes down to elitism and ego-stroking. I personally don't like subs, but I don't claim any superiority for preferring dubs. I just don't like most Japanese VAs for numerous reasons.

2. Nikkonolasco Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Another HUGE reason for people “preferring” subs is that you don’t have to wait 2-3 years after initial airing in the hope that Funimation or Sentai actually release a friggin dub.

A dubbed trailer for Sword Art Online was released about a month ago, which surprised me because normally dubs don't come out this fast, but it seems with all the growing dub companies dubs are coming out faster than before.

And as expected, the comment section was filled with angry fanboys mad that their favorite anime was getting a dub. I was thinking, "why get angry over a dub? you still have the original Japanese version available."

3. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    Why are you on this website then?

So in order to be on this website you have to like dubs more than subs? I must have missed that in the TOS :p

4. unnoticedhero Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think sub fanboys are just mad that an entire series isn't dubbed the second the original episode comes out, and fan sub groups work much faster than all the licensing issues with dubs, which is another topic to debate entirely. I think they do think it's superior, because they can't understand it and the anime was originally made for Japanese viewers. I'm under the impression that they never gave dubs a fair chance to begin with, so they're bias against them. I also think they don't like dubs because they're harder to find on the internet in high quality, while subtitled series are a simple google search to find a site with hundreds of subbed anime available for download. All in all, haters gonna hate.

I also remember hearing about Japanese people liking the English version of the original Hellsing better, saying that Crispin Freeman did a better job than the Japanese VA, which is impressive that even Japanese people acknowledge that dubs don't suck.

5. Nikkonolasco Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So in order to be on this website you have to like dubs more than subs? I must have missed that in the TOS [​IMG]

This website was made to bring together DUB lovers. If the English dub is always inferior to the sub, and there is absolutely no reason to watch the dub, I don't see why you are here, let alone a content director.

6. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    You're right, this is a site to bring together dub fans. I never said I didn't like dubs I just prefer subs. We don't turn anyone away if they like subs more, which you are so desperately trying to get across. Why you so hostile bro? The dub fans seem to be the only bitter ones in this thread.

7. BennyDragonheart Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    The dub fans seem to be the only bitter ones in this thread.

Excuse me, but I have not been bitter at all.

I do however agree that this thread is looking pretty fail right now, we all love anime, whether dubbed or subbed. Why can't we all just get along? Why do we have to compare the two kinds to such lengths? Both sub and dub have good and bad points, lets just enjoy anime!

8. Masterofflys Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    IMO, subs aren't always better. Japanese voice acting is broadly more consistent, I'll grant you that. I'll also agree that most dubbed anime older than a decade or so is kinda flatly voiced. (*edit* from what I've seen that is, I don't want to make myself out to be an expert, I'm decidedly not :p ) That said, I'd like to make the point that over the last few years, I've noticed a steady improvement in the quality of English dubs of anime. Some are really great, on par with the Jap dub in some cases. Some of them are still pretty terrible though. But if this trend keeps up, I look forward to a bright future for dubbed anime. As long as the quality of the anime to be released is maintained, that is :)

Also, I'd like to point out that in some instances, I've found dubs to be better. I can't recall them all, I don't really keep track of these things, but one scene that comes to mind is the park scene in the second episode of Bleach. I won't argue that Bleach as a whole is better in English, that would be deluding myself, but I feel that in that one scene, and a couple of others, Ichigo's English VA really nailed it, to the point where when I eventually went back and watched it in subs, I felt disappointed. It just didn't come across as well in my eyes.

9. Nikkonolasco Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You’re right, this is a site to bring together dub fans. I never said I didn’t like dubs I just prefer subs. We don’t turn anyone away if they like subs more, which you are so desperately trying to get across. Why you so hostile bro? The dub fans seem to be the only bitter ones in this thread.

Sorry man, I wasn't trying to sound hostile. But it's just that when I go to website for dub lovers and see, "subs > dubs", I thought you were a troll. Can we be friends?

10. Guest

『   』
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i think it just depends on preference and what you were first introduced with, though of course that's not always the case. i myself first saw dubbed anime, and it's what i tend to stick with. i have watched some subbed though, and like a few other posters mentioned i feel like i can't do anything else while watching subbed anime, where with dubbed i can look away from the screen for a moment while i do something. i've also watched subbed when it's an OVA or a movie that has basically no chance of getting dubbed from an unpopular series that i enjoy, so there's that too.

i find it difficult to meet just about anyone 'irl' that enjoys dubs, and if i meet a fellow anime fan (though very rare for me in the area i live) i don't really advertise what i prefer between dubs or subs, just to avoid any bickering or disagreement. if we both like anime who then who cares how the other prefers to watch it.

11. Kieron Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    As far as honorifics, it really depends on the anime/game/setting. Sometimes I feel they come across a bit forced. They were fine in Persona 3 and Persona 4, and the english dub of OHSHC had honorifics as well, and they worked well there too. For the most part though, they don't really mean much to an English speaker.

As far as the quality of dubs, there's bad dubs on both sides. But I've seen comments on shows that are generally regarded to have top notch dubs, where people are complaining about how much the dub sucks. With some people, it almost seems to be reflex when they hear a dub and to "It sucks" regardless of quality.

I think part of it stems from just not being fluent in the language, you can't truly know the quality. I've seen comments from a few translators where they stated that they used to prefer subs, but it took them actually learning the language to realize that some of that Japanese voice acting they've been hearing was actually pretty bad.

For the most part, I prefer dubs, unless the dub is quite bad. It's not that I have to read it, just that I prefer hearing it in a language I can understand. I also sometimes find subtitles to be distracting, where I realize I missed something on screen because I was reading and end up rewinding frequently. (This tends to be more of a problem since I usually watch full-screen, rather than in a smaller window, where it would be less of an issue, IMO.) Sometimes I wish I could get into the subs a bit more, just because of how far behind the dubs of some shows are.

I can't remember which it was, but there was an old anime I remember watching, oh, I'd say probably from the late 80's or early 90's, both the English AND Japanese dubs were pretty bad. And even though it is harder to tell with Japanese dubs, you could still tell. It was mostly certain characters, IIRC, others were fine. In both dubs even. Just not consistent quality.

I don't really care if anyone prefers subs over dubs or the other way around, it's just... that condescending and somewhat elitist attitude people have about it sometimes. That complete refusal to even admit that a dub can be good, let alone great. If you prefer one over the other, that's fine. Just don't be a snob about it. *shrug*

12. Sir-Maddy Finger Lickin' Good™

Ratings:
    +260 / 0 / -1
    The reason dubs aren't very well received is because most of the Anime fandom are elitist pricks.
    About 80% of Anime fans follow anime subbed.
    As the series goes on, you grow accustomed to their voices.
    When it ends and someone announces a dub, they won't be excited about it due to them watching subbed first.
    It's like how if someone watches a dubbed anime, and likes it, then goes to watch it subbed, they don't enjoy it due to them watching the dub first.
    Bottom line, it basically depends on what you watch first, sub or dub, then watch it's counterpart if you actually enjoyed it.

13. BennyDragonheart Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    So what it comes down to is having a closed mind, essentially.

14. Natsuru-san Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Sorry it gave me trouble posting the other half of this.

3. Yes nearly all of dubbed anime doesn't use the Japanese honorifics but have they seen the dub of Kamisama Dolls? Chances are no since that was released like a month or two ago and no I watched the sub but I wanted to see how they did with their voices and see a certain scene dubbed and well, at first they ruined them for me but then after some time passed and I realized they didn't ruin them but it was just because I had first seen/heard the sub so yeah. Both sub/dub isn't bad though in some ways I prefer the sub more than the dub here while in other ways I prefer the dub and as for that scene, well sadly the added a word or two so that ruined it imo but hey I know their lips woulda been moving still but no words coming out had they not of done that so it's not like I don't understand why they did it. Anyway this argument is somewhat over ruled since this is just a matter of personal preference. I can understand where they're coming from though.

4. I'll add to this. But they change words and delete scenes and edit it so bad! Don't watch the dub watch the sub!
    No sorry but this point is also kinda over ruled here. Yes some pretty bad examples of editing are that of 4kids (One Piece for example) but even still the dub can be quite good still. I mean I really can't speak for 4kids here and I admit I don't like it when they edit, cut, censor etc. anime and as for adding things including changing words etc., well, I admit I don't like it but also do like it. This goes back to the part where it's whatever I've seen first being the dub or the sub. So for example Heaven's Lost Property. Astraea is asked what does 1+1= and she answers purple in the dub but I was told in the sub she answer 50. Well that doesn't bother me or matter to me but I CAN see why it would matter to some people. It REALLY just depends on soo MANY factors. So yeah, this one is one that can't be ruled out and largely depends on many factors.

In short both dub and sub anime are good and it just comes down to many factors as to which you prefer over the other or if equal and this can be said about pretty much ANYTHING in life.

15. Natsuru-san Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Well looky here. The quote button works (Kinda) here and best of all, my above post finally went through. :) Btw the first half of that post is back on page 1 of this thread.

Sir Maddy wrote:
    The reason dubs aren’t very well received is because:
    As the series goes on, you grow accustomed to their voices.
    When it ends and someone announces a dub, they won’t be excited about it due to them watching subbed first.
    It’s like how if someone watches a dubbed anime, and likes it, then goes to watch it subbed, they don’t enjoy it due to them watching the dub first.
    Bottom line, it basically depends on what you watch first, sub or dub, then watch it’s counterpart if you actually enjoyed it.

Maddy, I 10010% fully agree with what you said here. So in short, what Maddy said. :)

16. BlurredExistence Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I do not agree. I watch both subbed and dubbed versions of every anime i've really enjoyed because both sides have merit and there have been many animes where i have prefered the dub over the sub. However, Japanese is the format these shows are originally intended to be seen in and unfortunately when it comes to converting animes from the original format into things get lost in the process (ie. certain lines being translated differently or scenes being cut shorter due to space/time issues), due to various production reasons, things that you had picked up on and enjoyed while watching the sub and invariably if there are a lot that either get cut out or you feel were done wrongly then the sub's gonna have a better place in your heart.

Ultimately tho i believe it comes down to preference, some people don't like reading subs and some people feel like they get more out of the experience by reading them while listening to the original Japanese cast. Neither of you are being elitist, you're both just sticking to your preferences and that's fine, each to their own and all that jazz. The ones who are the dicks of this situation are those that go around casting people down for having a preference one way or another, what business is it of anyone other than yourself how you enjoy your anime? Watch it your way and anyone who doesn't like that can go smeg themselves!

Altho, having said all that, i've gotta say there's a lot to be said for being completely unable to judge whether or not the VA cast is actually any good at acting. I can't tell you how many dubs have been ruined for me cause the cast can't act!... well actually it's not that many but it's damn annoying when it happens! = p

17. DrRandom357 Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm anime elitist(self-proclaimed)and i'm not a prick(rare) i watch both dubbed and subbed. i watched K-ON season subbed at first two times then i found out the 2nd season came out dubbed and i watched two times also. i might also see Sword Art Online when it comes out.

if you look at the general idea of this, it's a petty argument just like the PS3 vs. Xbox, i mean they're just plastic boxes

18. Natsuru-san Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Sir Maddy wrote:
    The reason dubs aren’t very well received is because most of the Anime fandom are elitist pricks.
    About 80% of Anime fans follow anime subbed.

Whoops, forgot Maddy said the above. Yeah, that's the part I don't agree with you on. Sorry I forgot you said that and therefore if I had remembered I would've edited the above out to better relay what I was agreeing with you on. In fact, I'll edit it out now. *Done* So yeah, basically I was agreeing on the part she said about it's what you watch first though it's also true that there are times when you will enjoy both the sub and the dub.

19. BlurredExistence Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Natsuru-san wrote:
    Whoops, forgot Maddy said the above. Yeah, that’s the part I don’t agree with you on. Sorry I forgot you said that and therefore if I had remembered I would’ve edited the above out to better relay what I was agreeing with you on. In fact, I’ll edit it out now. *Done* So yeah, basically I was agreeing on the part she said about it’s what you watch first though it’s also true that there are times when you will enjoy both the sub and the dub.

Oh well that certainly is a fair statement. I think dubs certainly have an up hill battle when trying to impress you over something you've watched first as a sub, i must say in my view it does take a rather exceptional cast of VA's to win your heart in that case. Personal examples would be: Code Geass, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Durarara! and Clannad. Seen all of them subbed but the VAs in the dub were just so top notch, just fit the characters so well that, for me, it's been dubbed over subbed ever since!

20. Kenshinsama Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    As for my opinion between subs and dubs, I'd have to swing more towards dubs. But if you want to get the most out of your experience with anime, learn Japanese! Not only do you get the bonus of not having to read, but understanding the words that are spoken will give you more appreciation for the Japanese voice actors. Just something to think about if you're a REALLY hardcore fan of anime. ;)