Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

What's your least favourite thing about anime?

Discussion in 'Anime & Manga Chat' started by M-theoria, Oct 30, 2013.

1. M-theoria Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    While we all love anime, every passion needs to go under the microscope for critical analysis. What are some gripes, or dislikes you have about anime?

For me it would have to be the use of fan service in series which have a serious tone, i watch highschool DXD, HOTD and just go into those series expecting that stuff, hell its half the reason those shows get watched in the first place. But in a series like Code Geass, and to a lesser extent AOT, its like "Oh look at that, a character just died, have a booty shot" it just kills the atmosphere.

2. Noobs I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +631 / 3 / -1
    For me it would have to be the use of fan service in series which have a serious tone, i watch highschool DXD, HOTD and just go into those series expecting that stuff, hell its half the reason those shows get watched in the first place. But in a series like Code Geass, and to a lesser extent AOT, its like “Oh look at that, a character just died, have a booty shot” it just kills the atmosphere.

amen to that brother. i too really dont like it when the anime im watching gets fan service scenes. i most of the time do the "the thinker" posture when watching my anime. seeing those scenes would just put some weird boners and get irritated easily. same goes for echii genre but thats if the echii content is beyond tolerance. if we are talking about Chobits echii then i can live with that but if its KissXSis echii to h*ll with it. i'd prefer watching H3ntai straight than get pissed.

3. obdriver6 Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    I would have to say the endings. Some anime have some really bad ending which leave you in a cliffhanger or end too suddenly. I know most people say that the manga always has a better story and ending is better but why can't they do that to the anime, this is the reason I started reading manga now. and I know some anime are meant to leave guessing in the end but I sometimes hate it. In another perspective, I hate endings due to the fact that a good anime just simply ended which is always a sad moment for me :(

• Like Like x 1
  4. BK-201 The Black Reaper Moderator

Ratings:
    +124 / 1 / -0
    For me it has to be inconclusive endings or endings where nothing is really resolved, especially when it comes to romance. Also, the pointless fan service is something I could do without.

5. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    In any love story with more then one love interest I hate how almost by default the first girl seen/childhood friend wins out. Worst case scenario is a show that tries to be fair and ends up with an inconclusive ending.

I find myself looking forward to the predictable "swimsuit episode" but I have to draw the fanservice line right there. Getting bombarded with it every time is a turn off.

6. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    I love my fan service so I have no complaints of pantsu or boobies in anime. I do have some other complaints.

1. Inconclusive or non-endings: While Air Gear is one of my favorite anime, I'll be the first to say the non-ending sucks. The same is true of Claymore. Nothing bugs me more than getting to the climax with no fulfilling ending.

2. Wimpy or whiny main characters: I am an independent person and have no respect for whiners in real life or my anime. The worst perpetrators of wimpiness have been Shinji of Eva and Raki of Claymore. Coincidentally, Greg Ayers is usually cast as the whimpy character. I don't know what bugs me more, his voice or the character.

3. Obvious CGI in anime

4. Censored anime: Whether it be the white-light, superimposed censor, invisible nipples or the conveniently place lock of long hair, just let me see them boobies!!

5. Overused voice actors

6. Badly drawn noses: Soul Eater and Kaiji come to mind

7. I'm sure there is a name for this trope (where is @Shogun?) but in short, it the trend in Shounen anime that the main character always succeeds through sheer will, usually pulling out some secret power during a battle when they appear to be losing. Naruto, Ichigo, Natsu...they are all guilty of this. I prefer my characters to actually get their ass handed to them and train so that they can redeem themselves next time.

8. Harem characters that can't make up their mind: There always seems to be the girl he is obviously most fond of. Be a man and tell the girls your choice. You are only disrespecting the others by stringing them along.

9. Recap episodes or recaps at the start of each episode

• Like Like x 2
  7. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    Series which make you pick up the manga to finish and series which have inconclusive endings or do not get a second season.

8. Araragi Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Series which make you pick up the manga to finish and series which have inconclusive endings or do not get a second season.

Yes! It's never a good idea to make an anime adaptation while the manga is still running, like in the case of Hellsing and Fullmetal Alchemist

9. Heizengard AKA Cernel Joson

Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    I agree with what Spor said but for me it's the over use of fan service. I don't hate fan service anime at all but I just think there is a time and place for it

10. Sir-Maddy Finger Lickin' Good™

Ratings:
    +260 / 0 / -1
    7. I’m sure there is a name for this trope (where is @Shogun?) but in short, it the trend in Shounen anime that the main character always succeeds through sheer will, usually pulling out some secret power during a battle when they appear to be losing. Naruto, Ichigo, Natsu…they are all guilty of this. I prefer my characters to actually get their ass handed to them and train so that they can redeem themselves next time.

The trope is called Invincible Hero, Saki has this too, actually Saki does it a lot.
    Can also be called an Ass Pull.

11. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    over use of fan service

No such thing :p

12. Lince Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +118 / 0 / -0
    If there's one thing I absolutely despise in an anime, it's a sh!tty main character.

I'm not talking about the kind that's meant to be hated, i'm talking about the kind that's just completely stupid and does nothing worthwhile to the plot while the side characters take front and center. If a character is a main character, and most of the story is built around them while they contribute nothing, I tend to get really pissed at the anime. Side characters are not supposed to move the plot along, they are supposed to complement the main character and show us something about him or her we've never seen before [It's called character development]. Of course, this isn't ALWAYS the case, and sometimes it works out, but I can't stand it when a main character does nothing worthwhile.

Mini-rant over.

13. Sir-Maddy Finger Lickin' Good™

Ratings:
    +260 / 0 / -1
    What I don't like in Anime are dense main characters in romance anime.
    They are the one thing that grinds my gears.
    If you're gonna be that clueless about love, you may as well just use your left hand and stay lonely for the rest of your life.

14. Timekeeper Great Big Jerk

Ratings:
    +125 / 0 / -0
    Excessive use of ecchi. Sure, a panty flash is nice and jigging boobs is cool too, but when you have it every episode or every scene (Rosario Vampire), it gets about as old as a moldy sandwich sitting at the back of the fridge that no one seems to want to grab to throw out.

15. VeritasOdiumParit Cult of Personality

Ratings:
    +144 / 0 / -0
    I hate romance anime in general. Though, I did like His and Her Circumstances because it was a different approach.

I agree with a few things people have said on here, like shonen anime characters; clueless characters; sometimes overused voice actors. Especially if they're not good.

Oh, and when the plot is drowned out by comedy in an anime that it no longer becomes funny or interesting to watch. Comedy doesn't belong in a serious plot, unless it is necessary to relieve the stress of the situation, or in a calm scene.

16. GreatOak Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Pretty much everything said in this thread (although I don't know if "poorly drawn noses" is something to really complain about...)

I will add one. When an anime expects you to have read the manga first. Trinity Blood is guilty of this, pretty much nothing in that show is explained in any real fashion, you have to deduce it, OR read the manga. Just bugs me since I watch the anime to see if I want the manga, not the other way around.

17. Araragi Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I hate when relationships are teased and hinted at, but never actually go anywhere. I see this a lot in the big shounen shows

• Like Like x 1
  18. OtakuSenseiHig Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    How when i want to show this to people i realize i can't because i cant think of one that doesnt have fan-service and when i do think of one its only in japanese

19. Hedocruse Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    When a character dies then comes back to life only to then sacrifice it again.

20. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    When a character dies then comes back to life only to then sacrifice it again.

Oh man this is like double wham for me. Coming back to life destroys my sense of belief. Coming back only to get killed again? I can forgive the first depending on the show but the second crosses the line.

• Like Like x 1