Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

What was your first anime?

Discussion in 'Anime & Manga Chat' started by crazydawg444, Apr 30, 2013.

1. crazydawg444 Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So what was your first, or first few anime's that you recognized as anime? And you had to recognize it as Japanese anime, like how most kids watch Pokemon but just see it as a cartoon. You had to be thinking "wow this is a Japanese anime."

Mine was School Rumble, followed by Negima Magister Negi Magi, Death Note, Gurren Lagann, Elfen Lied, and Suzuka

2. Nikkonolasco Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I grew up with Pokemon but back then I didn't know I was watching Japanese anime. When I was about 13 I started watching the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, so I guess you could say that was my first REAL anime. However even then I was still more of a casual anime watcher, I didn't get serious about it until I saw Angel Beats! That changed my view on life. I'm 16 now and anime takes up most of what I watch.

3. Exis Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I started watching Dragon Ball Z and Pokemon when I was 5 so I guess those were my first anime. It was that or whatever else was on Toonami at the time.

4. DemonEyesJoe Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    i guess due to the heavy japanese themes in rurouni kenshin, was the frist time i REALIZED i was watching anime

5. Batosai Manslayer

Ratings:
    +264 / 7 / -0
    I watched Pokemon and Dragon Ball Z as a kid but the first i watched while realising its an anime was Rurouni Kenshin

6. Xarclesh Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Dragon Ball Z, but the anime that opened up the world of anime to me was Trigun. I watched the first episode on adult swim and then instantly went online and finished all of it in one sitting. After that I was glued to all kinds of anime on the interwebz!

7. PlasmaSoul Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would like to say Fullmetal Alchemist but in actuality it was Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Pokemon and ahhh... Sailor Moon... yeah, I grew up to those.

I can't really remember what came first, I think it was Dragon Ball; me and my brother use to watch that every time it was on. Fullmetal Alchemist is the reason why I got into anime farther though I was about 16 give or take, it also is the reason why I got into manga; because I heard "THE MANGA IS DIFFERENT AND BETTER" thus it was in fact my first manga. (English Fan-translation not the official English translation which from what I've seen butchered it).

Wall-O-Text! (FEAR ME; FOR I ENJOY WRITING)

8. IloveHolo Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I watched a lot of Gundam when I was younger, namely the original 0079 and Wing. If those did not count, it would probably be FMA, Bleach, or Cowboy Bebop.

9. Kei0181 Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I watched CardCaptors, Sailor Moon, Pokemon, Dragon Ball as a kid but the first I realized were anime were Trigun, Inuyasha, Yu Yu Hakusho, Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell on Adult Swim.

10. Ovyda The Phantom Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    Not counting kid shows on my TV, it was Hellsing.

11. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    Saint Seiya and Fist of the North Star.

12. Wampa Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I remember watching so many random ones that toonami had on but i dont remember what the first was probably like sailor moon or one of the gundams. I do remember what got me back into anime though and that was randomly catching an episode of death note on adult swim

13. Severus Shiny Legendary Pokemon

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Hmmm well I think my first anime was Cubix, but I'm not sure. It's the only anime I can really remember thinking back. Or maybe Yugioh. Again, I'm not sure.

14. unnoticedhero Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My first anime was Digimon when I was about 8. The first anime I realized I was watching a japanese animated show was Bleach, after I got into reading manga at 13.

15. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    I remember watching so many random ones that toonami had on but i dont remember what the first was probably like sailor moon or one of the gundams. I do remember what got me back into anime though and that was randomly catching an episode of death note on adult swim

Of course anything from Toonami was something any kid from the 90's would watch everyday. It was our shining moment of bliss after school. With the exception of that though the first anime I deliberately choose to watch was Robotech. It remains one of my favorites of all time.

16. minisiets Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    With the exception of that though the first anime I deliberately choose to watch was Robotech. It remains one of my favorites of all time.

*nod of approval*

17. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    I feel old since both of my firsts are 80s anime.

18. Kieron Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm not sure *which* was the first, but I know for sure it was one of these two:

First possibility was back when the Sci-Fi Channel was starting to show anime. (And when they were still "Sci-Fi" and not "SyFy", but I digress...) Every now and again (few months?) they would show these three anime movies back to back. Vampire Hunter D, Lensman, and Robot Carnival. Pretty sure Vampire Hunter D was the first I saw out of those three.

If it wasn't that... I had a friend when I was much younger. His dad was heavily into computers, D&D stuff, and anime. Always had all sorts of neat gadgets (like copier devices that could copy SNES games onto 3.5" floppies. Had a bin plastic FULL of rented games that they copied, and even had some Japanese games, this all back in the very early 90's, IIRC. Pre-emulation days. (I digress again, but later on, seeing the JP version of Symphony of the Night led me to buy that when it came out in the US on the ol' PS1.) Anyway, on topic, they had VHS tapes with anime. The one I remember seeing first, and that left the biggest impression on my young mind was Record of Lodoss War. Was just the first episode, and it was neither dubbed nor subbed. No subtitles, Japanese audio. No idea what anyone was saying. Still was awesome. There were two other animes I remember seeing a little bit of, but they didn't leave as big of an impression. Bubblegum Crisis and Macross. I couldn't even tell you if they were subbed, dubbed, or neither. I can't even say anything about what happened in them, just remember the titles and that they were mecha anime, I believe.

So, I'd say it was either Record of Lodoss War (which I never actually got to see in English until many years later, when someone I met in college lent it to me), or Vampire Hunter D, which I had saw a number of times since then when Sci-Fi Channel would show it again from time to time.

19. Sir-Maddy Finger Lickin' Good™

Ratings:
    +260 / 0 / -1
    My first anime was Girls Bravo.
    Which is ironic considering I hate harem Anime, yet it was a harem Anime that got me into Anime.

20. OtakuSenseiHig Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    dont judge me but steel angel kurumi i saw it when i was really little and i barely remember it you know until i rewatched it again and saw it was rated tv ma