Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

What game do you hate the most/regret buying?

Discussion in 'Video Game News' started by Heizengard, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Heizengard AKA Cernel Joson

Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    Not sure if there was a topic for this yet but, yeah as the title says.

For me it was two games, both or which are "spin-offs" of two games I really liked.
    The first one was Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World. As some might know, I love ToS with everything I have. It was my first JRPG, I loved the gameplay, the story and the characters, so when I read the issue of Nintendo Power (yeah this was a while ago) that featured it, I was hyped. Lloyd and gang was returning for a new story across the reunited world and it was gonna be massive. I get the game and find out that you play as a little whiner named Emil and that Lloyd was
    the bad guy.
    The gameplay was watered down and Lloyd's group, while they were playable, could not level, making you have to use the crappy pokemon like system. Also I hate Emil with all my being. I really hate whinny characters. It was mostly a disappointment but it was still a bad game IMO.

The second one is worse then ToSDotNW. The Third Birthday, or as I like to call it, Parasite Eve 3. The story was god awful and the gameplay was somehow worse then the first games. Also it makes you do the unforgivable.
    At the end of the game you are forced to kill Aya, the games protag, for a very, very, VERY stupid reason. He fiancee died and she wanted to be with him, which is very out of character for her.
    Anyway I really don't want to make this topic longer then it should be, nor do I really want to rant so I will end it here.

2. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    About the Tales game spoiler Heizengard, you know about the events that occur for that later on in the story right? And yes early game Emil can burn in a fire alongside my other hated character Shinji.
    At least the Tenebre guy was hilarious and pulled me through the game.

This is a simple choice. Final Fantasy 13. Story makes no sense at all and this is coming from a guy who lives and breathes Xenogears. Making up a whole bunch of names and terms and shoving it down my throat is not storytelling (actually they don't even tell you ingame, you have to read it up on the journal entries). Also the gameplay was a let down. I was one of those guys that like FF12 combat so this new form just didn't do it for me. I just want to kill a stupid low level enemy, why do I have to go through all these menus still?

I don't have to mention the characters do I? I'll put up with Lightning but she can't carry the lackluster crew that follows her. They are either useless or at worst annoying.

Good news?

I discovered far better rpg games when I become disillusioned to the series.

3. Heizengard AKA Cernel Joson

Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    @Doomguy
    Yes I do
    but the fact still remains that it was a stupid choice. Anyone who played the first game would know it's a lie and it went on for far too long. Also once you found out about... that one guys ability, you have figured out how the rest of the game is done.

And yeah the only think I like was Tenebre and the skits.
    While I dislike FF13 I think FF13-2 was far worse in terms of not making sense and characters

#3 Heizengard, Jun 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  4. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    Can't comment on the later Fantasy games since I didn't bother with them.
    That new one coming out looks different. Maybe it looks too different :confused:

Another game I regret buying was way back when Doom 3 came out. At the time my computer couldn't even run it. Then I got a new computer and the game was a massive disappointment. No where close to the original gameplay. I guess as the years went by I played it again (with patches and mods) and it was an okay generic shooter.

Still crushed my hopes.

Was not too happy about Halo 3. Single player campaign just kept getting worse as the games went on. I really don't like paying 60$ for a multiplayer game. At least the multi was fine. Speedrunning the Halo 1 singleplayer was what I use to do with my friends on local coop (remember local coop? lol)

Other then that I don't usually regret any purchases. The FF13 one came as a buy two get one free deal so it's hard to get mad about it.

5. Khristophoros ♛Ecchi Enthusiast♛

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    For someone who has been an avid gamer for over 15+ yrs I have had my share of bad games but the one I can remember the most is Big Rigs: Over The Road Racing.
    I remember being able to go in reverse and you would never stop accelerating, you would be going 5000km into space and the other drivers would never move.
    Even though the game is terrible I still load I up when friends are over for a good laugh.

You can even buy it on amazon for $69.99

6. ShadowLinks Hero of Time

Ratings:
    +57 / 1 / -0
    Harry Potter and the goblet of fire - The perspective change from 3rd person to a automatic higher overhead view was terrible in addition to the level based design, which removed the exploration aspect of previous and later games. Action, yes, magical, no.

Pokemon Battle revolution - I was hoping for a Pokemon stadium like game but got a limited set of pokemon to use, no adventure, and half of the features were with the DS games (which i did not own)

7. DemonEyesJoe Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Ok, hate me, but here it comes, aside from TOSDotNW, which the pokemon aspect kind of pissed me off, my waste of money was, Dragon Age:Origins. And the Witcher 1&2. I despised both of those games. sorry

8. Wampa Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i regret buying a number of games that i have owned in my time. One of them joe just mentioned, bought witcher 2 hearing about how good it was and ended up not really liking it. My friends have also gotten me to buy a number of games on steam under the premise that we would play them together.... at least they were cheap.

9. DemonEyesJoe Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    FINALLY! someone agrees with me. It was simply to complicated for me to join in on. And it threw EVERYTHING at you at once. At least, thats how i felt.

10. Shogun13 Lord of the Dance

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    I have the one that I expected to be good and the one that I bought blindly.
    One that I expected I am surprised to say, is Animal Crossing: New Leaf. It really was being hyped by a lot of reviews on the internet and some of the mechanics sounded mildly interesting, but I bought it at $30 and I played it for 2 days and got bored with it. I played the original Animal Crossing for about 2 weeks before I got sick of it, and that was on the gamecube...
    One that I bought blindly and thus wasn't surprised when it sucked was Lunar Dragon Song. Basically imagine a jrpg that is as stripped down as you can go. Like RPG maker almost guarantees a better product in terms of features. Then imagine that you "get the power of dragons" to power up. Sounds cool right? Well the protagonist fights by break dancing, which sounds cool but wears out its welcome quickly. Hmm using the dragons power is just that attack with a color filter over it. Seriously, it felt like it was from 1995 and mediocre from that time. But it was released in 2005. Paid $10 for it, so ehhh no huge loss.

11. Heizengard AKA Cernel Joson

Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    Oh God that reminds me of a game I bought blindly called Mimana Iyar Chronicles. It looked awful, that battle system was a broken version of the Tales of battle system. The in battle sprites of the player characters with about 5 times larger then the enemy sprites and in order to even hit the enemy you have to be perfectly aligned with them. Also most of the enemies were cubes and triangles and they weren't even trying to hide it, they're names were evil cube and magic triangle. It also had no music in dungeons, and yet came with a soundtrack CD so they could charge 40 bucks for it and call it a special edition (there was no standard edition). The CD had about 13 tracks and only 4 of them were music. The rest were these strange answering machine recordings.

12. ThatRandomGinger Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    Dishonored. I was told it was going to be like a mash up of MGS stealth with Skyrim open world-ness. What i got was a game that punished you i you killed more than 3 people (you have to kill your target btw) even if they were stealth kills, had an open yet linear world (closest comparison would be Bioshock), and a stealth game were stealth never mattered! I once spent 2 hours going through a level and painstakingly killing the guards making sure i was never seen nor any bodies where found and got High chaos. Next time i literally RAN through it finished it in 5 minutes was seen by everyone and tripped dozens of alarms but got low chaos. It was a game that head the moral hammer over your head and said "no we won't punish you if you choose to stealth kill" Needless to say i got the really bad ending several times. If they did it differently i would have definitely been a good game, one thing that would have fixed it would be if you killed some one AND ARE SEEN you get high chaos but if not and its a stealth kill low chaos. And don't get me start on the fact that 90% of your upgrades ARE WEAPONS BASED, meaing they are forcing you to go down the bad path for better stuff and at the same time punishing you for it!

• Like Like x 1
  13. VeritasOdiumParit Cult of Personality

Ratings:
    +144 / 0 / -0
    For me it would have to be Sky Odyssey for the PS2. There was nothing fun about it.

14. GalanDun Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have yet to regret buying a single game in my collection. Mostly been lucky about that.

15. The7thSeal Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Well, there are two games that I really hate.
    First one is Devil May Cry 2. My God, that is awful. Every enemy can be defeated by spraying them with ranged attacks (which for a Hack 'n' Slash game is practically a cardinal sin), the story is bad, the level design is meh, you can beat every boss by letting them take you to low health and activating Devil Trigger to become a demon that can mince them by, you guessed it, spamming the fire button. Worst of all is that it had a beautifully designed dodge system that generally went unused, and customizable Devil Triggers that got overshadowed by the game's tedium.

Second is the Uncharted Series. Not just one game, the entire series. The main character is just a bundle of wise cracks with a weak personality. The gameplay, which I went into the first one would be similar to Tomb Raider (the original games), turned out to be a damned cover based shooter linked together by platforming sections. I was hoping for a well designed puzzle somewhere in there, but no, I get 'shoot some guys, walk forward, shoot more guys'.
    My opinion of it is probably warped by my own preconceptions of what it was going to be, but the disappointment just killed a lot of the enjoyment of it.

16. The-Gunney Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Ace Combat: Assault Horizon... The story was meh and WTF WAS DFM!?!? The only good thing was the BGM. Biggest disappointment ever.

17. VeritasOdiumParit Cult of Personality

Ratings:
    +144 / 0 / -0
    Say what you want about the terrible voice acting and story. But, hey it was still kind of fun to play!! The last boss at least was a challenge!!

18. Heizengard AKA Cernel Joson

Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    I don't know what you are smoking, but I never died in the game. At all. There was never any reason to use your sword attacks since unlike DMC 1 the guns always worked. The game was boring IMO, that acting, while it wasn't very good wasn't the worst thing I ever heard (fun fact: Dante's voice actor in DMC 2 played Mr. Fantastic in the Fantastic 4 movies), the level layouts were beyond boring, as well as the enemy design and I do not remember any of the games soundtrack. DMC 2 is not the worst beat em up/hack n slash I've ever played though. No that honor goes to Golden Axe Beast Rider.

19. VeritasOdiumParit Cult of Personality

Ratings:
    +144 / 0 / -0
    I didn't die either. It just took me a really long time to beat the final boss. I would have to say Dynasty Warriors is the worse hack n' slash game I've ever played. It is tooo easy.

20. Shanarox Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0