Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Vocaloid Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'SOS Brigade (Clubs)' started by Roy-Blue, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Roy-Blue Trophy Hunter Chat Moderator

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    We used to have a bunch of these around the forums, so I thought I'd create one here. Basically we just post pictures, video, and news related to the topic. And just overall chat about the topic. Anything goes, really. Just have fun and increase the fame of our favorite musical computer program.

I think our first order of business is to establish who everyone's favorite Vocaloid is. Mine is still Gumi:

But CUL is a close second.

2. Core Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +488 / 0 / -0
    Currently, Megurine Luka is mine. She sounds mature and is bilingual.

While I would like to say I also like her appearance, which makes use of instrument stylization (That's not even a word, is it?), One must keep in mind that Vocaloids are just voice puppets, with visual wrappings added called bodies. So appearance is not exactly something you can you as a main thing for judging one.

3. Roy-Blue Trophy Hunter Chat Moderator

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Haha, I don't think there's anything wrong with loving the looks of the characters. They display the characters on the front of the box and give a brief description of them to make them feel more human. It just gives you something to cling to. If they were just programs, people would just treat them like programs. But with character, people can look at them as something more. I mean, how can you not love these lovely ladies:

[​IMG]

But everyone has their own preferences. Some people choose the Vocaloid that's right for them, or simply mold one to fit their needs. But I think the look is just as important as the voice. I mean, people still listen to Defoko, and she's literally a melding of computer sounds. But people try because she's cute.

How can you hate her?

4. Core Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +488 / 0 / -0
    Heh. Using fan service on me to sway my opinion.
    Don't worry. I like the nice appearances they have, I just want to avoid choosing one as my favorite solely for the looks.
    As in, I want to avoid using a Derivative as a favorite, like Akita Neru:
    [​IMG]
    There is no voice for her.

Though appearance wise, I can't help but like a variety of Vocaloids.

5. jmriz Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    Please don't kill me, but I am not a Vocaloid fan and just can't get in to that type of music!!!:(:oops:

6. Whitefang19 Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Vocaloids even have their own video games. All the games have Hatsune Miku Project in the titles and they feature Hatsune Miku, Kagamine Rin and Len, KAITO, Megurine Luka, MEIKO and there are five vocaloids that are dlc in the newer games.

7. Roy-Blue Trophy Hunter Chat Moderator

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    But Neru does have a voice, it's just an alteration of Miku's (just like Haku). People also use a derivative of Rin's voice sometimes, but that (in my opinion) is dumb because they already have Len's voice competing, so they don't need a third. The point being she does have a voice, so it's perfectly fine to love her too.

And it's fine Jim (I'm just going to call you that), people don't usually like the robotic voices. I personally think it's really cool and creative that a person can take the role of a singer and make it into almost like an instrument and put it to music and have it preform so well. It gives people without a voice more artistic freedom to make music. But I guess, if successful, that would put you out of business, no?

Also, I like how they have games, but they're still holding off on making an anime for it (if you don't count Black Rock Shooter and Mekakucity Actors).

8. Whitefang19 Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    I also just remembered that Hatsune Miku has a manga so really the only thing they haven't made is a vocaloid anime.

9. jmriz Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    It's actually John or JM, but Jim is fine too!!
    I do get the appeal of Vocaloids but I just don't really care for that style of music to be honest.
    I am into 90's and 00's J-rock and J-pop more ( think B'z, Mr.Children, Chage and ASKA...)

10. Roy-Blue Trophy Hunter Chat Moderator

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Haha, well that's a fan-made manga, so it would be up to Yamaha to decide whether or not to follow it (or the thousands of other potential stories) in an anime.

And JM just sounds unnatural, and I probably wouldn't remember to call you John, in all honesty. So Jim is easier for me, haha. But back on topic, that's the thing about the Vocaloid program: the can sing literally anything. Some are linked to more specific genre by nature, but they are just instruments to use by anyone. So they have no choice but to sing whatever their artist tells them to sing (sounds pretty dark but it's true). They could make the pop divas sing to country and it's no problem (I mean, I'm sure it would be hard, but not impossible).

If you like the slightly older-styled J-rock, I'd probably recommend IA. She's pretty cool and she gets a lot of songs around that style.

That would just be my suggestion. Nekomura and Gumi also sing a lot of J-rock, but they tend to be more into the modern kind. But like I said, you can always find those stray songs by the most random of Vocaloids singing just about anything, just because they have the ability to. So I can't see anyone hating Vocaloid because of genre, simply because they don't have one.

11. jmriz Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    Oh no, I don't hate Vocaloids, their just not my favorite and I don't dislike them in the genre sense, because I have heard them sing different genres, it is purely because I just don't like electronic based music.

12. Roy-Blue Trophy Hunter Chat Moderator

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    I don't really think I get it. But I suppose you're welcome to your own opinion. Haha, we can't all be Vocaloid lovers, unfortunately.

Speaking of love, though, I'm shamelessly posting a Gumi picture I found recently:

[​IMG]

13. Core Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +488 / 0 / -0
    Jim Earthworm. Knew someone around here was him. Groovy!

I wanted to try UTAU, but I have n words for songs.
    I read a Miku VN, but while it was nice, I started to wonder if it was a fancy advertisement.

14. jmriz Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    Ok, you know what, I am honestly tired of this Jim stuff, so because my real name is John and for some people that is hard to remember, and because jmriz is too long, just call me Jack as it is was my nickname as a little kid.

15. Core Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +488 / 0 / -0

Just taking a pot-shot at the name Jim. Sheesh, not like it really is your name anyway. No matter, Master Chief.

That video image shows just the way I would imagine her being.

16. jmriz Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    I'm sorry!! I wasn't trying to be rude and i'm sorry if it came off that way!!!!
    I kinda like Master Chief though:p:p!!:D

17. Core Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +488 / 0 / -0
    No worries. Ironically, it is hard to read someone via text alone.
    I start to wonder if we should color-code my text to clear up ambiguity.

18. Kaede Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +450 / 0 / -0
    Hmmm... When I first saw Hatsune Miku, I was hoping like hell she was in an anime series. I wasn't a fan of her work too much but I do love her song, Leven Polkka. It's just so catchy. But in saying that, I suppose I have Hatsune Miku to thank because she was a partial reason I got into anime. :D
    *Starts dancing to the Leven Polkka dong.*

19. Roy-Blue Trophy Hunter Chat Moderator

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    I actually liked Rin's Ievan Polka slighty more than Miku's.

I feel like Kaede would be more of a Rin/Len fan than Miku. Miku is too much a diva, Rin and Len are more like the devious younger siblings. They also have the more "dark" themed songs.

This one is still my favorite dark one, though:

20. Roy-Blue Trophy Hunter Chat Moderator

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    That actually gives me a good idea. What was everyone's first Vocaloid song (or the earliest one that you can remember)? Mine was (I'm fairly sure) this one:

Though when I found it, it wasn't subbed, haha. Much more confusing. But I had been dipping into the dark side of Youtube, so I just welcomed it. Ironic that I found out later that none of them sing in that particular song, but I had already invested so much into the characters, I couldn't turn back. I used to really like their lyrical stories, those are some of the most entertaining videos on Youtube. Even though, these days, I can be completely satisfied with a simple MMD like this: