Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Video Game Pet Peeves

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by The7thSeal, Jan 17, 2016.

1. The7thSeal Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Title says it all. What in games drives you up the wall? (NOTE: talking about mechanics and things actually in the game, not gaming communities)
    Personally, and this has been developing for a long time, my biggest pet peeve is crappy torches (flashlights) in gaming. The ones that have a battery life of like 30 seconds and only light up a tiny circle or barely light up two feet in front of you. It's infuriating, because it makes me feel like devs have never seen one being used before, and, especially with indie horror, just serves as a way of putting annoying "gameplay" into an otherwise drab experience.

2. Core Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +488 / 0 / -0
    On games like Rage, there are levels you do that have you playing it for 30-60 minutes in order for you to complete your task, and 10 seconds after you complete your objective, you open a door that places you right where you began. So really, all I had to do was break down a door to get my task complete, but instead I went a giant circle, killed freaky mutants and people, then completed my task. Whats more on Rage, you end up playing that particular level twice, only the second time is reversed in direction. Backtracking at its finest.
    Crappy controls are another problem. Armored Core for PSP sucked because of that. Even on XBOX, you had to sacrifice aiming in order to fire, since those 2 actions used the same thumb, and controls could not be specially customized. That was how it was for Armored Core 4 Answer.

3. The7thSeal Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Oh God. I hate that. Especially when you happen to be playing a game where you're armed to the teeth. Nah, that shotgun and those grenades clearly aren't powerful enough to defeat a one way door!

4. Noobs I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +631 / 3 / -1
    rpg games that dont have maps.

5. Core Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +488 / 0 / -0
    Climaxes that skip the boss battle and replace it with a sudden cutscene, always letting you be the victor. Examples: "Deadpool" and "Far Cry Blood Dragon."

6. Core Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +488 / 0 / -0
    Climaxes that skip the boss battle and replace it with a sudden cutscene, always letting you be the victor. Examples: "Deadpool" and "Far Cry Blood Dragon."

7. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    Video games that only let me continue from one save slot. Like the Pokemon games for example

A general rule that I have followed it to keep two saves for an RPG. One save before a suspected dungoun and one inside of it. Never know when you'll get caught in an unwinnable situation and have to reload further back. A lot of games and developers seem to keep this in mind and try to twist the story in a way that it wouldn't happen but every once and a while I get caught wondering

"Hmm. What would happen if I saved here and couldn't beat the next part? How do I get out?"

Not that Pokemon is a good example. Well unless your like me and couldn't stomach losing to the Elite Four in that gauntlet just because you forgot to buy Hyper Potions ;)

8. Heizengard AKA Cernel Joson

Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    When an RPG has a final boss, or just a boss in general have a TON of HP but not actually be a hard fight. It's a time waster and a lot of RPG's have been doing that lately. Instead of making the fight HARD, they just give the boss about a million hit points.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Core Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +488 / 0 / -0
    All you need is sword and a thousand apples, and you are set on the road to victory. I played some like that. It was years ago, but I played the NDS version of Prince Caspian, and the last fight went like that. You used an apple when you timed your attack wrong (which was only possible if you weren't thinking). It was stupid, stupid-easy, but I had no other games at the time.
    Now for Phantasy Star Portable 1 & 2, the last fights were not actually hard, but getting hit by an attack with a sleep side effect and than getting blasted by a meteor attack or a swipe from the boss is what ended me usually. Or when the boss launched an attack that slaughters me in a single blow (meteor attack), and it is unavoidable. Those fights could have been hard, had I chosen to stick with melee weapons rather than ranged.

I mentioned that I played Prince Caspian, and that is one of my peeves in gaming. I just can't stand games made from movies. I guess I just simply find it ridiculous. Maybe it's because the movie already takes away from the story and adds its own bits, and games of those movies are similar in that way. There are exceptions, I am sure, but none come to mind.

10. The7thSeal Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Here's one; When a game unlocks DLC for you at the beginning of the game, that you can't progress in until much later.
    Just had that with Overlord: Raising Hell, where a DLC area unlocked before I had the minion types required to get through it.

11. Timekeeper Great Big Jerk

Ratings:
    +125 / 0 / -0
    My biggest pet peeve with a game is when I'm playing a shooter, I'm getting bogged down by gunfire, and the NPCs are basically looking at me like "...well I'M not going out there. You take em on all by yourself"

12. Core Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +488 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like real life! Heh.:D

Overly hyping a game. Not good.

13. Heizengard AKA Cernel Joson

Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    Here is a similar one. When you buy DLC and the game tells you you unlocked new content. I didn't unlock it, I bought it.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Cpt_K3nny Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +288 / 0 / -0
    THIS

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Core Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +488 / 0 / -0

My brother in law spent $60+ dollars on an iPhone game because of that. What would you expect from an MMORPG?

#15 Core, Jan 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  16. Heizengard AKA Cernel Joson

Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    Forced. Tutorials. Or tutorials that remind you how to play it every. Five. Seconds. Good example: Hearthstone. Tried to play it with a friend and the forced tutorial took about 20 to 40 minutes to complete, and you can lose the tutorial games as well. I remember Heroes of the Storm was the same way. What a pile of crap.

17. Core Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +488 / 0 / -0
    When games have such a tight boundary rules.
    In Armored Core4 and 5, going out of bounds a short distance is punishable by instant death. What was really annoying was the fact that you could have won a fight by having more room or by slipping into the no-zone to escape an attack. Most annoying on Armored Core 5 was that, since combat was primarily urban, and there was a height limit. I like finding a good vantage point as a sniper, but you could not even scale to the tops of the higher structures since their tops were out of bounds.

18. Lince Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +118 / 0 / -0
    This is just one of my very personal and specific pet peeves in video games.

I'm a Dynasty Warriors fan. Always have been, and unless something drastic changes, always will be. Xing Cai is one of my video game waifus too.

But this annoyed the fuck out of me. Just watch [Best example is around 1 minute and 40 seconds in].

See how her skirt pretty much flies up whenever she runs? I don't like that at all. I think it's pretty trashy to be honest. This is actually a traditional Chinese dress, so it makes sense to have it in the game. But you can modify it to... not do that please...

I have a serious pet peeve of having already good looking characters in video games [especially women] being too sexualized. I mean, she's already fine enough, she doesn't need that honestly. You can basically see her ass, and that pisses me off. I always have to go change the costume in order to stop that from happening, but in other games you might not have that choice.

• Like Like x 1
  19. ShadowLinks Hero of Time

Ratings:
    +57 / 1 / -0
    Unwinnable battles (that go on and on while you waste all your items) or the crap they pulled in Xenosaga II (Final Boss Albedo).

20. Core Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +488 / 0 / -0
    It feels like games no longer have that special difficulty of trying to get used to the levels. Like Megaman, those games required you to figure out the enemies patterns, but you would manage to die several times or restart the level if you could not figure it out in time. Just simply try to crash your way through or get a tutorial on every game mechanic throughout. I like cinematics, but I do get tired of when all the game begins to become is interactive TV.

Another frustrating thing is when they merge the multiplayer menu with the singleplayer menu. Since I do not have internet for my consoles, 7/9 menu options are useless. Just needlessly clutters the screen.