Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Time: YuruYuri

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Timekeeper, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Timekeeper Great Big Jerk

Ratings:
    +125 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

In all honesty, I don't really care to watch this sort of stuff because it tends to be a little overdriven with moeness that usually makes me slam my laptop shut, wipe it from my computer, and move onto a series I give a shit about. However, I made an exception for this time. Why? Because like a previous anime I reviewed, I had countless amounts of people telling me that I should watch this, ready to have my sides obliterated with laughter.

Really, this wasn't the case, but I did get a few laughs out of it. So, let's get started: YuruYuri.

=============================================================

Story:

Now, if I had to compare this show's story to any show in particular, I'd probably compare it to something like Seinfeld: it's a show about nothing. That's it. It's about a group of four middle school girls faffing about with their friends and doing literally nothing. It's also similar to slice of life anime such as Lucky Star and K-On!, minus the music. It's got running jokes, puns, and more lesbian undertones than you can imagine, hence the show's title YuruYuri, which is definitely not a bad thing. With that being said, there's not much else to say in terms of story when you've got literally nothing to work with.

Audio:

The voice actors of this show do an excellent job at portraying their associated characters. The only thing I can say about these voice actresses is the fact that they haven't really done anything of higher-profile outside of this show. As for a dub, the show has been licensed by NIS America, but seeing that they've already released a sub-only physical copy back in 2014, I wouldn't get my hopes up to see a dub for this show anytime soon.

Most of the music in this anime isn't much to brag about, but really, you don't really come here for any of the music in YuruYuri. Sure, I suppose most of the music is average, but it isn't really what you'd run to your friends and tell them "you should watch this show because of the music".

Characters:

I guess out of anything, the characters are really what make the show. Out of the four main characters, you have the no-nonsense, the (sort of) tomboy, the admiring underclassman, and the scatterbrain. These personality traits are pretty decent, but I somehow feel that they've kind of ripped it off from K-On!'s character models like this:

Yui Hirasawa = Akari Akaza (scatterbrain)
    Mio Akiyama = Yui Funami (no-nonsense)
    Ritsu Tainaka = Kyoko Toshino (tomboy)
    Azusa Nakano = Chinatsu Yoshikawa (underclassman)

Art:

Frankly, there isn't much to say about the art. The studio responsible for the production of YuruYuri is Doga Kobo who in the past few years has been picking up a bit more notoriety for their productions of Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun and Himōto! Umaru-chan. So if you watched those two shows in the past few years and enjoyed the artwork, you'll most likely enjoy YuruYuri. If not, tough luck.

Verdict:

Now really, I'd probably recommend that you guys watch this if you wanted to kill a boring afternoon. The characters are a decent bunch, the story is good for laughs, the art and music are average, and the voice acting is colorful and cutesy. But if you're looking for a story with more depth than a sinkhole, I wouldn't really look here.

=============================================================

If you'd like me to review a show, go ahead and comment down below and I'll see what I can do so long as it's not an extremely bulky series (Naruto, Bleach, Fairy Tail, One Piece, etc.) ^_^

#1 Timekeeper, Jan 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  2. Shogun13 Lord of the Dance

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Timekeeper, gradually bringing back the review section one review at a time.

Also LUCKY STARRRRR (in angry voice). I know anime can be considered a "waste of time" to the people who don't watch anime, but watching Lucky Star's first episode was the one time that I felt like I should really be doing something, anything else.

3. Timekeeper Great Big Jerk

Ratings:
    +125 / 0 / -0
    Lucky Star wasn't the absolute worst thing I've ever seen, but I definitely wouldn't rewatch it. It is considered a "waste of time" to me, because that's essentially all the characters do: waste time

4. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    Great review. Giving me some inspiration to start doing more reviews of my own.

5. Timekeeper Great Big Jerk

Ratings:
    +125 / 0 / -0
    The more the merrier. This section has the activity of a morgue

6. Sporadic Site Dev Moderator Director

Ratings:
    +981 / 0 / -0
    I hoped reviews would be as popular as at least DTR. I want to get a more focused review section soon in an effort to be a more rounded site.