Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Time: No Game No Life

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Timekeeper, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Timekeeper Great Big Jerk

Ratings:
    +125 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]
    "There's more than one way to win a game."
    -
    Sora​

Before I even scratch the surface of this show, I will tell you that my initial expectations of this series were very low. And thankfully this series did not disappoint like another series I had poor initial expectations of. Now that I've said that, let's get to actually talking about the subject: No Game No Life. The only real complaint I could say about the show's plot is that it doesn't really seem to have consistent pacing at times.

=============================================================

Story:

In my opinion, the plot brings to mind a show like Death Note, minus the everyone and their brother dying stuff. In this case, I mean that the main characters are continually challenged intellectually and must concoct a strategy in order to save their asses from getting kicked. The plot seems to relate to Death Note a lot, including having a decent amount of players on the field. This make me very glad due to the fact that I was under the impression that the show would resemble something like Sword Art Online, which had a pretty straightforward plot.

Characters:

With the characters of the show, there's only three real main consistent characters from the very beginning: the arrogant, the stoic, and the lovable dunderhead (if you've seen the series you know damn well who I'm referring to). Supporting characters in the series are not without mention and also have unique characteristics to each of them that set them apart from one another. Most of the characters are witty, engaging, and amusing at most times. With my experience, I had no issue picking a favorite character, nor do I think you will either.

Art:

Artwork for No Game No Life was brought forth by Madhouse, a studio which has been known for many high profile works, such as Ninja Scroll, Trigun, and ironically Death Note. The artwork for the series is both vivid and breathtaking, and also ironically similar to, in my opinion, Sword Art Online. Animation is also fluid and near flawless, but then again, I don't know much about art, so my opinion may not mean jack.

Audio:

The music for this series is composed by Shinji Hosoe, who, at least to me, hasn't produced much to warrant great amounts of credit. However, I rather enjoyed the music for this series to the point where I would at least give it an average rating; a rating that is neither horrid or superb.

The show has been licensed by Sentai Filmworks with a dub released. The English voice actors, like the music, have not been involved in anything high-profile, with the exception of Caitlynn French who had a role as Mio Nishizono in Little Busters!, so most of the voice actors/actresses are considered C-level actors or starters in the voice acting industry. Regardless of notoriety, I felt that the voice actors/actresses performed their roles efficiently to receive at least a B-/C+ in my book.

Verdict:

Honestly, regardless if you'd rather watch this in English or Japanese, I'd recommend you'd give this a watch. If you're a fan of strategy games such as chess, reversi, etc. and want to look for maybe a different view of playing the game or just like strategy themed shows like this, Death Note, and Code Geass, I definitely recommend you give this show a watch. As for myself, I will be eagerly awaiting a second season from Madhouse if they decide to continue this gem.

=============================================================

If you'd like me to review a show, go ahead and comment down below and I'll see what I can do so long as it's not an extremely bulky series (Naruto, Bleach, Fairy Tail, One Piece, etc.) ^_^

#1 Timekeeper, Jan 14, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2016
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Darkxflamexd Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    i cant wait in tell season 2 coming out it will be the best

• Like Like x 1
  3. Delta Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +93 / 0 / -0
    Started watching this as the off series with my mate, only a few eps in but I can see the connection to both death note and code geass

4. Timekeeper Great Big Jerk

Ratings:
    +125 / 0 / -0
    A lot of people are doubtful that a second season will ever come into play since the author was suspected of copying similar artwork from other authors

Sad to say

5. Darkxflamexd Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    really i did not know that i was reading online it will be a season 2 with a new whole story i have seen the new art i think it will come out in winter time or next year

6. ilanghoula Trophy Collector

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Sadly the producers cut the production for the second season of no game no life.
    its sad because they practically had season 2 setup, in the last few second of season 1.
    Oh why cruel world why do you let the gems fade away and give us commercial junk to make up for it.
    this was a intellectual work of art and will remain in my collection till i die(right along code Geass).

• Like Like x 2
  7. sleipmon Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Great series, I hope demand gets a season 2 if not I'll just read the manga.

8. Timekeeper Great Big Jerk

Ratings:
    +125 / 0 / -0
    There was apparently some controversy with the author of the manga in that he may have been copying some designs from other works. I believe he's still writing the light novels, but a lot of people are doubtful that a second season is in the works

9. Vladnyx Everyone is the main character of their own life.

Ratings:
    +609 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Timekeeper Great Big Jerk

Ratings:
    +125 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Vladnyx Everyone is the main character of their own life.

Ratings:
    +609 / 0 / -0
    Let us try not to give our hopes up :p. Hopefully another announcement will follow pertaining to if it'll be a recap or not. That or some premiere trailer.

12. shifter101 Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    well the movie will be based on the sixth volume of the light novel. The anime covered the first 3 volumes, most people watching the film won't have an idea what happened in the 4th or 5th volume but it should be alright since the 6th is a prequel story. So the film will reveal details that happened before the anime. Hope it's as awesome as the anime, if not more.