Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

Time: Corpse Party: Tortured Souls

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Timekeeper, Oct 31, 2016.

1. Timekeeper Great Big Jerk

Ratings:
    +125 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]
    "W h o d o y o u t h i n k y o u ' r e t a l k i n g t o , l i t t l e g i r l ? !
    I ' l l w r i n g y o u r d a m n e d n e c k j u s t t o w a t c h y o u s q u i r m !"

-Sachiko Shinozaki​

Before I begin this review, I would like to say this: if you're expecting this to be lighthearted and full of funnies like Is This a Zombie? (Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?), please do yourself a favor and turn around. This anime does have a few joking moments, but very little. Corpse Party: Tortured Souls is not a show for those who cannot handle blood and gore. It isn't trying to fool you into thinking it's a slapstick comedy show; it is what it is: a horror series. So, with that, let's get onto the actual review.

Story:

The story for Corpse Party takes on the setting of shows like Sword Art Online, Re:Zero, and The Familiar of Zero: transporting our protagonists unwillingly to another world. But unlike the aforementioned series, this show takes a much, much, MUCH darker approach to it. Instead of fantasy and whimsy they get death and destruction. Instead of magic and wonder they receive blood and horror. You get the gist. Actually, if I had to make a more accurate comparison to any type of media, I would compare it to the Silent Hill series where the characters are forced to figure their way our of a dilapidated and decrepit hellhole or risk being turned into human stew. Unfortunately, the story does have a fair amount of flaws. The first being that towards the middle of the series, the writers seemed to become extremely lazy and chose to just fast forward it into the nitty-gritty without providing a good lot of explanation. Furthermore, the biggest complaint I had about the story was the ending, in that it seemed a bit forced and/or rushed. I suppose since it was only a four episode OVA series that the producers were on a very limited budget and couldn't cram all the story from the visual novel into the adaptation.

Characters:

Sadly, the characters were another problem I had with Corpse Party. Again, there may have been a limited budget that prevented the writers from being able to give the characters a decent amount of story to pull from the original visual novel, but I suppose we'll never know. One thing I DID like about the OVA adaptation of the series was the personality change of one of the main protagonists: Ayumi. In the visual novel, she was portrayed as someone who consistently whined and never really did anything to help to greatly progress the plot, but in the adaptation she seemed to want to take charge a lot more often than her original counterpart.

Audio:

I was actually a bit surprised that I admired the voice actors' performances in the anime adaptation more than the original visual novel. That's not to say that the original performances from the original voice actors did a poor job, but that they pale a bit in comparison to the OVA's voices. Both are able to provide adequate acting in many of the scenes, especially when the more dramatic scenes show up, where the voice actors are made to show emotions of extreme sorrow, horror, and, at some times, psychotic behavior that would make even the most hardcore sadist cringe.

As for the music of the series, most of the music is pretty much carried over from the visual novel, but I would like to give both praise and criticism to the opening. In the first minute or so of the opening, the music has the feel of a haunted house that really sets the tone for the anime, but the latter half seems a bit too upbeat to be in a horror anime, which was very jarring for me as the chills I received from the first half of the track were erased (I know that was a bit strange to say, but shut up).

Art:

Now, this is probably what everyone came to watch this series for: the artwork. I can say with absolute honesty that the artwork is by far my favorite part of this show. From bodies being splattered against walls to eyes being gouged out by little children, this show does kid around when it comes to blood, gore, and violence. Really, if you like seeing characters die in grisly ways and blood spraying everyone like someone just dropped a bucket of red paint, this show just might be your cup of tea (my God, what is wrong with me?).

Verdict:

Though the story and characters are a bit lackluster, the biggest point of glory for this series would definitely have to be in its voice acting and artwork. I DEFINITELY would not recommend this if any sight of blood, guts, intestines, or death gives you distraught. However, if this is up your alley, then by all means, give it a watch. Just make sure you have a bucket nearby. You may need it.

2. Noobs I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +631 / 3 / -1
    reading your review does sum up what the OVA offers to the watchers of the series. i pretty much agree to most of your inputs and they are well placed except for the following below.

this pretty much make sense the OVA feels rushed and that is because the story line comes from a game released earlier. they left some details (i think purposely for game sales) as they are already explained in the game.

now about the ending, yep this one irritated me the most when i watched the last episode but hey its japan most known to cliff hanging endings. well thats also because of how the next game explains why it ended such way.

to sum up, most of the things that we can complain about the OVAs are mostly found or can be answered by the games.

3. Timekeeper Great Big Jerk

Ratings:
    +125 / 0 / -0
    Well the problem is that most viewers, myself included, do not necessarily wish to play/read supplementary material in order to understand the full picture. The only reason why I played the VN was because the game was on sale on Steam and I was bored out of my mind

4. Noobs I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +631 / 3 / -1
    an understandable statement. i myself was not particularly into the series at first due to watching it with russian sub which destroyed the experience. anyhow, while browsing the mall, and by chance, i found Corpse Party : Book of Shadows and played that game and it answered questions the why's and the how's.

anyways, great review there and im looking forward to other review from you.

5. Timekeeper Great Big Jerk

Ratings:
    +125 / 0 / -0
    I sadly cannot play BoS legally unless I want to buy a PSP/Vita/TV, which all seem to be a fair bit scarce now. I could torrent/emulate the game, but that sucks the fun out of it like a mortician sucks the life out of you. Same goes for Blood Drive.

Furthermore, thank you for the compliment. If you or anyone for that matter has a request for a review, feel free to say and I'll see if I can do it. As long as it isn't

1. A series that's like 100+ episodes (Naruto, Bleach, Fairy Tail)
    2. Hentai
    3. Yaoi themed