Welcome to Our Community

Register on JustAnimeForum and start chatting about anime with like-minded people!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thank you for the years of fun feel free to join the discord here! Please enjoy the forum for the short time it may be up feel free to make an account here or see what forums you dont need to make an account here
    with love,
    shedninja the sites biggest bug

The Problem with America's Public Schools?

Discussion in 'Hall of the Elders' started by Timekeeper, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Timekeeper Great Big Jerk

Ratings:
    +125 / 0 / -0

If you've ever read into the American educational system, you've no doubt have heard that even though we are considered a first world and developed nation, our educational system is very sub-par as compared to countries with high-ranking educational curricula like Japan, South Korea, and Sweden.

A few years ago, while pursuing my bachelor's in education, I learned in depth the issue of the American public school system and that teachers' unions are not the only problem of why America's public schools are failing, but they are one of the biggest reasons. The teachers unions are much more focused on keeping the jobs of teachers secure rather on the quality of teaching the children of the public school system are receiving.

Once more, teachers unions are not the only reason why American public schools are on the decline, but they are most likely the biggest hurdle in reforming the system in order to provide children with the quality of education they deserve.

So, what is your opinion on the American public school system and how can we go about fixing it?

2. Core Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +488 / 0 / -0
    According to preachers of churches I have gone to, letting prayer back into schools would help. How it would do that, is anyone'seen guess to those who believe not in prayer having any meaning.

But on to something more substantial to speak of, and more on topic. I think that giving teachers an actual teaching test and making the 'no child left behind' program more effective would help.
    1. Teachers must be able to successfully teach 5-10 random , failing students, and be able to get them to bring their GPA up significantly. This would be part of a certification program.
    2. No child left behind, will be modified to give students a more rigorous training to compensate for their low grades. This is probably already done.
    3. Introduce a militant aspect of teaching.

A teacher should consider their job to be done as a sacred duty to prepare the future generation in the pursuit of knowledge. They should never go into the field of teaching with money in mind. In return for their services, the teachers should be well provided for. It should have never been about the numbers in education and trying to get students out of school.

If there is anything negative to be about any of this, consider the fact that I may have not been 100% serious. Just some quick thoughts.

3. Doomguy I Love Trophies

Ratings:
    +328 / 0 / -0
    They don't teach civics to people.

4. Rayden413 Trophy Hunter

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    This problem goes further back than the Teacher's Unions. The Root of this problem with the American Education goes back to our own Presidency. But not to any president that any of us actually remember being in office. And I am serious. That is unless any of you are over 100 years old.

In 1916 the president was Woodrow Wilson. Some speculate him as being a "Good" President, but in the interests of the future American people were not in his heart. Woodrow Wilson once said in a speech, "In order to preserve our political situations, my friends, we must divide our education. Those who are poor or unfortunate be split from those who are of wealthy standing." In 1916 Woodrow Wilson drove the first stake into the preservation of the wealthy elite. Only those with Money were to be the one's with a decent education. Within 10 years, it can be noted, there was a drastic change in how schooling was done in america.

To this day, we can still see the result of Woodrow Wilson's desire to split the poor and the rich by causing the difference in education. You can see this by looking at the best schools in america, seeing how much they cost and what kind of teachers are teaching there. The best schools have college professors working there to teach their kids. Not people with a degree in teaching.

If we really want to escape our dilemma, people have to go to college and get an education. When I first went to college I was forced to relearn everything I ever knew about history. Our public school system does not teach us history. What little they do throw in there is obscured by lies. Only by educating ourselves and learning what it is that we can do as people, and citizens, can we overcome our problems. At home and in our government.